Ole Dirty Klondike

The Ziaire Williams Guide

8 minutes ago, Wells said:

Gary Parrish today listed Williams as being one of the top eleven picks in his opinion, while talking with Calkins. Calkins thought the pick would be either Wagner or Moody.

That's fine. Drafting is an inexact science and doing mock drafts or predicting picks is even more inexact.

I have no problem with the kid as a player especially if he had bumps in the road last year with deaths in his family and his mind was elsewhere. I'm just confused as to why we felt the need to move up 7 slots. In some ways his unimpressive season at Stanford would have helped us get him at 17. This selection seemed to surprise a lot of people. I hope he does well. I just wonder why we felt the need to make that trade and move up 7 slots. I made a comment in one of these threads that there may not be much difference in drafting 10 vs 17. I think this is a clear example of that and some guys such as Jalen Johnson and Keon Johnson who were predicted like top 10-12 fell. There was a clear top tier, a second tier but that third tier was a large group and I don't understand why we moved up in the third tier. If you're going to trade, try to get in that first or second tier. We were already in the third tier but move up close to the top of it. I just don't understand why. 

3 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

That's fine. Drafting is an inexact science and doing mock drafts or predicting picks is even more inexact.

I have no problem with the kid as a player especially if he had bumps in the road last year with deaths in his family and his mind was elsewhere. I'm just confused as to why we felt the need to move up 7 slots. In some ways his unimpressive season at Stanford would have helped us get him at 17. This selection seemed to surprise a lot of people. I hope he does well. I just wonder why we felt the need to make that trade and move up 7 slots.

There's no guarantee that he would have been there at 17, but more importantly, that might have been the first team that they could get a reasonable deal worked out.  And we'll find out within the next week if the trade with NOP was only about moving up in the draft.   

I'm OK with the pick, but still not excited about the trade

Ziaire Williams was the eighth-ranked recruit in the 2020 high school class[1].

After spending his first three years of high school at Notre Dame High School, the six-foot-eight wing transferred to Sierra Canyon for his senior season.

He joined a star-studded squad that featured BJ Boston, Terren Frank, Amari Bailey and the sons of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, and went on to play a demanding schedule with an absurd number of miles traveled for teenagers, featuring more appearances on ESPN’s platforms than the Knicks.

Williams ended the season as the best player on the team on offense. Sierra Canyon played a my turn, your turn (Boston), my turn, your turn, his turn (Bailey, sometimes Frank) approach in the half-court, mostly relying on the brilliance of its wings in isolation, and occasionally in pick-and-roll.

The 18-year-old[2] exceled at creating his offense one-on-one and the sheer volume of talent at Sierra Canyon’s disposal consistently overwhelmed most of the competition it faced in California.

On the other end, he held his own when challenged one-on-one and showed glimpses of being able to defend the point of attack effectively but needs to develop a lot physically to be considered an option to guard the power wings his height suggests he should match up with in the pros.

The Stanford-commit also did not prove to be much of an asset in help defense, which was sort of a disappointment considering his combination of physical profile and athletic ability.

ESPN ranked fifth in its way-too-early 2021 mock draft and Williams enters his freshman year college viewed as one of those prospects could end up the number one pick in the draft one year from now.

ISOLATION OFFENSE

• Aggressive pull-up shooter
    • At times overaggressive – not shy of taking long-range pull-up bombs early in the shot clock on no-pass possessions
    • Plays with good rhythm stopping on a dime and rises with good balance off the bounce
    • Has shown a knack for getting to his spots around the elbow
    • Creates separation via crossovers, hesitation moves and going between the legs into a step-back – has a pretty good handle for someone his height
  • Has a quick first step, not just off the catch but out of a standstill position as well, and managed to get to the basket in a position of strength constantly in high school
    • Not very quick with the ball and struggles to play through contact but can pivot into a well-coordinated spin move to gain ground when he’s forced out of a straight-line drive
    • Prone to driving into crowds
    • Has shown some comfort going to his left hand around the basket
    • Prone to challenging rim protectors without a plan
    • Not strong enough to finish through contact regularly due to his thin 180-pound frame in the context of his six-foot-eight height
    • Explosive leaper off one foot with a head of steam behind him but tends to act more as a rim-level finisher in traffic
    • Can adjust his body in the air for double-clutch finishes and reverses around rim protectors
  • Has flashed a floater off a jump-stop to finish over length from the in-between area
  • Can make basic reads on kickouts off drawing two to the ball and drop-offs off engaging the last line of defense

PICK-AND-ROLL OFFENSE

• Took some smooth two-dribble pull-ups in side pick-and-roll
  • Ran the occasional middle high pick-and-roll off a catch-and-hold
    • Can deliver basic jump-passes to the roll man over the top
    • Hasn’t shown anything particularly impressive in terms of creating for others on more advanced reads
    • Plays with some pace working to create separation for a one-dribble pull-up

TRANSITION OFFENSE

• Passes ahead to speed up the pace of the game
  • Can grab-and-go off a defensive rebound and take it end-to-end
    • Explosive leaper off one foot with a head of steam behind him to go up with power for windmill dunks
  • Explosive leaper off two feet to play above the rim as a target for lobs filling the lanes

POST OFFENSE

• Will take a smaller/weaker matchup to the post every once in a while
  • More often looks for basic turnaround fadeaway jumpers, at times off a hiked leg
  • Has shown glimpses of a face-up package, for now most commonly looking for a no-dribble jumper off a jab-step

FLOOR SPACING

• Has a very fluid catch-and-shoot stroke
    • Catches on the hop
    • Needs a slight dip for rhythm but it’s not that pronounced
    • Fully extends himself for a high release
    • Has great guide-hand discipline on the follow through
    • Shows great weight transfer on spot-ups
  • More of an open-shot shooter at this point of his development, having not yet shown much versatility to his release
  • Has great rhythm and balance shot-faking into a one-dribble pull-up off an escape dribble against flyby closeouts

INDIVIDUAL DEFENSE

• Approaches the opponent in more of a hunched down posture rather than bending his knees to get down in a proper stance
  • Has a few lateral slides in him in one direction to stay in front out in space but is unable to contain dribble penetration through contact at this point of development
    • Has shown glimpses of attempting to leverage his length into reaching around for steals or taps
  • Flashed some side-to-side quickness to stay attached to smaller players in isolation
  • Puts in the effort to contest pull-up jumpers and can get a block on occasion
  • Doesn’t do well sliding cleanly around screens but works to go over the pick at the point of attack as well as he can and hustles in pursuit to challenge shots effectively from behind

HELP DEFENSE

• Hustles back in transition and can pick up the occasional chase-down block
  • Decent position defense clogging driving lanes, not so much to leverage his length into making plays from the side but stunting in an extra step to draw a charge
  • Can jump a passing lane but doesn’t really play with the sort of intensity needed to wreak havoc to create steals and deflections in volume
  • Doesn’t really mix it up on scrums under the rim
    • Not always all that inclined to boxout
    • Pretty soft with his boxouts whenever he does put a body on whoever is close by
  • Does contribute to the rebounding process by crashing the glass, impressing his explosiveness chasing the ball off the rim
  • Extremely uneven with his closeouts
    • At times, impresses with his urgency and his balance running the shooter off the line and subsequently sliding fluidly to defend off the bounce
    • At others, flies by and gets blown by

3 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Zaire, like Ja, was heavily trained by his father.

Another thing I like is his dad was a Marine, and mom was also in military.

yes everyone says he has great work ethic.   It's easy to see how he can fit with this team in the near future. 

1 minute ago, Grizzled Vet said:

There's no guarantee that he would have been there at 17, but more importantly, that might have been the first team that they could get a reasonable deal worked out.  And we'll find out within the next week if the trade with NOP was only about moving up in the draft.   

Of course there is no guarantee but signs pointed that but like I said, there are other guys that could have been had as well.

29 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I don't think we gave up much - honestly.   I like Adams fit better than Jonas.  Id rather develop Ziaire than FO resign or bring back Justise.   

Jv is our 2nd best player right now. Giving that up for a guy that might be our 3rd is too much imo. 

But hey atleast Justice is gone :lol:

5 minutes ago, cdp said:

Jv is our 2nd best player right now. Giving that up for a guy that might be our 3rd is too much imo. 

But hey atleast Justice is gone :lol:

that is debatable but he was a big contributor for sure.    Jonas was never considered to be part of the future so no idea why ppl are acting so surprised by them moving on from him.       

25 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

that is debatable but he was a big contributor for sure.    Jonas was never considered to be part of the future so no idea why ppl are acting so surprised by them moving on from him.       

Not surprised they moved on from JV just surprised at what they got for him. Unpleasantly.

10 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

from watch a couple of highlights...i will say he has impressive handles for 6'9-6'10

Maybe he turn into poor man Jokic, that could be a backup for Jaren

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

+1. Pick is pick, we wont get a superstar every year specially at rank 10. Let's see what we do in FA market, that will make a real difference...or not. 

1 hour ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

Wasn't a fan of his (at all) going into the draft.  Left him off my board COMPLETELY (unlike Joel Ayayi who just totally forgot about).

BUT... a solid comp for him could be Grant Hill Lite.  Let's see what happens ok?

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I see Zaire as a full time 2 guard...    JA, Zaire, Dillon, SlowMo, Jaren...  Then next draft-2022, when we have 3 first round picks, draft an athletic wing/combo forward and big...

What I like about Zaire is his ball handling and separation skill level...  Plus he is just a smooth effortless athlete...😎

I have no problem with the kid as a player especially if he had bumps in the road last year with deaths in his family and his mind was elsewhere. I'm just confused as to why we felt the need to move up 7 slots. In some ways his unimpressive season at Stanford would have helped us get him at 17. This selection seemed to surprise a lot of people. I hope he does well. I just wonder why we felt the need to make that trade and move up 7 slots. I made a comment in one of these threads that there may not be much difference in drafting 10 vs 17. I think this is a clear example of that and some guys such as Jalen Johnson and Keon Johnson who were predicted like top 10-12 fell. There was a clear top tier, a second tier but that third tier was a large group and I don't understand why we moved up in the third tier. If you're going to trade, try to get in that first or second tier. We were already in the third tier but move up close to the top of it. I just don't understand why. 

Outside of the top few (4 or 5?) guys the rest of the first round (and even deep into the second round) was fairly flat.

I had MOST of the first rounders as Tier 3, 3.5 or Tier 4/4.5.

Oh, and the Hawks took two of my highest upside guys in Jalen Johnson and Sharife Cooper.  I had JJ at 16 and Sharife at 8 but this past weekend I had Sharife/JJ at 4 and 5.

The Knicks read my mind, or at least my Mother Of All Big Boards taking the 10th, 11th, and 13th ranked players on my board respectively aka Jericho Sims, Quentin Grimes, and Miles McBride.

... not IN on ZW before the draft, BUT, hey, he could be Grant Hill Lite for all we know.  Let's see what happens!

Even though I like Green/Mobley, I could also see this one of the biggest BUST drafts of all time.

3 minutes ago, Grizzhype said:

I see Zaire as a full time 2 guard...    JA, Zaire, Dillon, SlowMo, Jaren...  Then next draft-2022, when we have 3 first round picks, draft an athletic wing/combo forward and big...

What I like about Zaire is his ball handling and separation skill level...  Plus he is just a smooth effortless athlete...😎

yeah, I think he is an oversized 2.  But, what is DB?  A 2?  A 3?  who knows.  let's see what happens.

UPSIDE wise... maybe you go Green/Mobley/Cade and a few other guys (Giddey?  Suggs?) but I don't see a ton of guys with THAT much more upside than ZW.  He can BUST but so can everyone else.

Grant Hill Lite potential.

3 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Zaire, like Ja, was heavily trained by his father.

Another thing I like is his dad was a Marine, and mom was also in military.

According to his ESPN radio interview, LeBron has been involved with his training along with LJ’s kid

By the way, he sounds like a very nice kid like JJJ, for whatever that’s worth

8 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

According to his ESPN radio interview, LeBron has been involved with his training along with LJ’s kid

By the way, he sounds like a very nice kid like JJJ, for whatever that’s worth

ZW could have Grant Hill Lite potential.

In this draft that's worth a pick in the late lottery range....

Yves Pons is a nice pick up.  

Still can't tell if this was a good draft, a GREAT draft, an average draft OR AN ALL-TIME OVER-RATED DRAFT.

Of course there is no guarantee but signs pointed that but like I said, there are other guys that could have been had as well.

I kind of wanted those Knicks picks.  I thought that was a great place to be in the draft -- especially with multiple picks.  They ended up with THREE of my favorite guys: Jericho Sims, Quentin Grimes, and Miles McBride.  I had those three players at 10, 11, and 13 on my big board.