Ole Dirty Klondike

The Ziaire Williams Guide

ZW looks like a new man since the injury 

He was great last night

For a kid aged 18 to play like that, he was freaking unbelievable

52 minutes ago, russian grizzly said:

The progress of this kid makes the JV trade straight robbery, if not rape. 

But... but... Jeff Van Gundyyyyyyy!!!

1 hour ago, bterry1990 said:

Man Kleinman has to be executive of the year

Got to be, I would love to know the behind the scenes in the front office. Is it Prince the talent evaluator, both, do we have great scouts, etc?

9 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Bonus points for us actually having to chase ZW.  Didn’t fall into our laps.  We had to maneuver and move up in the draft.  We found a player/draft spot we wanted to get to then we got there.  Hats off!

Did the same with Bane. 

It is so funny to re-read people's comments about ZW from October 16 to today. A lot of people are going to edit their previous comments I am sure before someone reposts them. ?

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It is so funny to re-read people's comments about ZW from October 16 to today. A lot of people are going to edit their previous comments I am sure before someone reposts them. ?

Troublemaker. 

Lol. 

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

Troublemaker. 

Lol. 

I didn't repost anyone's comments. I just enjoyed re-reading them immensely. 

A good lesson for some posters to remember. The Grizzlies FO is doing a very good job and if we show a little patience, we might see the value they saw from the start sooner than we imagine. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

I didn't repost anyone's comments. I just enjoyed re-reading them immensely. 

A good lesson for some posters to remember. The Grizzlies FO is doing a **** good job and if we show a little patience, we might see the value they saw from the start sooner than we imagine. 

Patience? That's no fun.

I'm not taking back anything I previously said. There's no doubt he sucked earlier in the year, but had promising moments. Now, he's stringing together several moments in a row. He's still not probably as good as we're making him out to be, but the complete 180 from a confidence perspective from him is a really good sign to see. 

Now, he still really needs to work on his handle and continue to improve on defense. You can tell when he gets the ball he's still very hesitant at times. He doesn't really beat people off the bounce at all, and when he does put it on the floor that's usually when he makes his mistakes. He did that in the third quarter last night. 

When he doesn't have to really think too much (ie catch and shoot or a cut to the basket) he's shown really good progress. That's what I'm happy about. He's got good bounce clearly, and good length, it's just about getting him easy looks like we did last night. Play with Ja and Adams enough and he should be able to get some easy looks. Defensively he looked the best he's looked all year on Curry, but still plenty of ways to go there. That one isn't a surprise or anything, and that just comes with maturity from a mental and physical perspective. 

1 minute ago, Rdk4121 said:

I'm not taking back anything I previously said. There's no doubt he sucked earlier in the year, but had promising moments. Now, he's stringing together several moments in a row. He's still not probably as good as we're making him out to be, but the complete 180 from a confidence perspective from him is a really good sign to see. 

Now, he still really needs to work on his handle and continue to improve on defense. You can tell when he gets the ball he's still very hesitant at times. He doesn't really beat people off the bounce at all, and when he does put it on the floor that's usually when he makes his mistakes. He did that in the third quarter last night. 

When he doesn't have to really think too much (ie catch and shoot or a cut to the basket) he's shown really good progress. That's what I'm happy about. He's got good bounce clearly, and good length, it's just about getting him easy looks like we did last night. Play with Ja and Adams enough and he should be able to get some easy looks. Defensively he looked the best he's looked all year on Curry, but still plenty of ways to go there. That one isn't a surprise or anything, and that just comes with maturity from a mental and physical perspective. 

And people said I was hard on JJJ in the fall and needed to give him more time to develop since he was only 22 and hadn't played a full 82 games in a season yet.

ZW is 19 and has only played in 24 games total. Seems like a pretty harsh criticism of the rookie but what do I know?
Image result for i don't know gif

22 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

And people said I was hard on JJJ in the fall and needed to give him more time to develop since he was only 22 and hadn't played a full 82 games in a season yet.

ZW is 19 and has only played in 24 games total. Seems like a pretty harsh criticism of the rookie but what do I know?

Actually, Ziaire will actually be 21 in September.

I have RDK on ignore, so will have to trust you on the rest. 

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

Actually, Ziaire will actually be 21 in September.

I have RDK on ignore, so will have to trust you on the rest. 

Oh. In that case people should definitely be criticizing him! 

I personally said he should have been in the gleague and I am very surprised by his rapid turn around.  I didnt get those who completely gave up on him as a long term prospect. That was my only issue. Just glad that we can all agree that he will one day be a solid NBA starter at minimum.  Also, he was probably solid in practice all along and wasnt just being gifted pt due to his draft status.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

ZW didn't look like he knew how to play basketball until the last week or so. 

You can call it harsh, I just call it reality. Jaren was putting up very good numbers outside of his injury issues. Clearly had his issues, but you are the one people refer to when people talk about Jaren smiling too much, which is why your criticisms were maybe just a bit out of line. 

Either way, I'm happy that ZW has improved. Confidence is key. 

56 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

ZW didn't look like he knew how to play basketball until the last week or so. 

You can call it harsh, I just call it reality. Jaren was putting up very good numbers outside of his injury issues. Clearly had his issues, but you are the one people refer to when people talk about Jaren smiling too much, which is why your criticisms were maybe just a bit out of line. 

Either way, I'm happy that ZW has improved. Confidence is key. 

BS on ZW

There was a reason he was getting mins when healthy and why his teammates spoke highly of him. He was most likely showing well in practice ; it just didn’t translate to actual games until now.

2 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

BS on ZW

There was a reason he was getting mins when healthy and why his teammates spoke highly of him. He was most likely showing well in practice ; it just didn’t translate to actual games until now.

I hear what you are saying but clearly some people prefer their narrative to reality.