Ole Dirty Klondike

The Ziaire Williams Guide

2 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

It took Conley  3 years to figure it out.

Marc 2

Jaren 4 ?

This is the NBA not everyone can get it right away I think ZW is ahead of schedule right now especially since he is 18.

Jaren had a great rookie year and Bubble. The injuries is what kept him out of greatness. I bet he would have almost the Ja and Bane trajetory if he was 100% all the way.

3 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I am more confident now that it will work out for us in another year or so. He's got talent and I think hes going to be a huge help for us when everyone is their prime 

Yup … he does have the talent .

Last night he didn’t look as nervous as he usually does out there .

He even got caught on camera hitting shots in rhythm without hesitation AND laughing when he found the buckets. 

Keep grinding young rook … I can see the development… looking at the names we have on the roster - he wouldn’t / shouldn’t have a spot to work with the big bears . He’d be in the GLeague.

Rookies - good rookies - get the most burn on losing teams.

Our guy is out there rocking with the Grizz proper right now.

I've been a bit down on Ziaire this season, but seeing him live changed my mind a bit. He seems engaged, knows his spots on the floor well so far and though he might not have the body for it yet, he seems to have good defensive instincts. So much of his success in the league will really come down to ability to hit shots consistently; he has the length to create the looks and the form doesn't look busted or anything.

22 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

I've been a bit down on Ziaire this season, but seeing him live changed my mind a bit. He seems engaged, knows his spots on the floor well so far and though he might not have the body for it yet, he seems to have good defensive instincts. So much of his success in the league will really come down to ability to hit shots consistently; he has the length to create the looks and the form doesn't look busted or anything.

So after 20 or so games in his rookie season you made a larger conclusion and now after 41 games you are suspecting your original assumption may have been incorrect? 

This is an excellent example of what I have been talking about a lot lately. It is best to wait until you have a larger sample size before making too many broad statements. They have a tendency to come back and bite you in the butt. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

So after 20 or so games in his rookie season you made a larger conclusion and now after 41 games you are suspecting your original assumption may have been incorrect? 

This is an excellent example of what I have been talking about a lot lately. It is best to wait until you have a larger sample size before making too many broad statements. They have a tendency to come back and bite you in the butt. 

I don't live in Memphis, so I don't have the benefit of seeing the games live - I pay for League Pass and try to watch as much as I can from outside the market. Yesterday was the rare occasion where traveling lined up with the Grizzlies playing in the city I was in, so it was my first time this season getting to watch the guys in person.

I still suspect my original assumption is correct: that Ziaire is going to struggle for this year and next and that his shot is pretty suspect. I've been fairly consistent with that assumption/opinion, and it's not based on a 20-game sample size, but rather his entire body of work: high school, college, summer league and yes, the portion of the regular season up until now. I'm also not stubborn and will openly admit when I've missed something or when I'm totally off on something - seeing him live showed certain things that I can't see on TV, which encouraged me. I truly don't care about things "biting me in the butt"; happy to be wrong when it's a positive outcome for the team! The whole point of this message board is to share opinions live time, react to the product that's out there, etc. Let us scrutinize coaching decisions, player development, etc.; that's what we're all here for, to support the team and occupy our time discussing it.

Just now, ACGrizz said:

I don't live in Memphis, so I don't have the benefit of seeing the games live - I pay for League Pass and try to watch as much as I can from outside the market. Yesterday was the rare occasion where traveling lined up with the Grizzlies playing in the city I was in, so it was my first time this season getting to watch the guys in person.

I still suspect my original assumption is correct: that Ziaire is going to struggle for this year and next and that his shot is pretty suspect. I've been fairly consistent with that assumption/opinion, and it's not based on a 20-game sample size, but rather his entire body of work: high school, college, summer league and yes, the portion of the regular season up until now. I'm also not stubborn and will openly admit when I've missed something or when I'm totally off on something - seeing him live showed certain things that I can't see on TV, which encouraged me. I truly don't care about things "biting me in the butt"; happy to be wrong when it's a positive outcome for the team! The whole point of this message board is to share opinions live time, react to the product that's out there, etc. Let us scrutinize coaching decisions, player development, etc.; that's what we're all here for, to support the team and occupy our time discussing it.

I must admit I have written off last season with Ziaire. He was living in a hotel, not practicing and lost two close relatives. That would mess with anyone's game. That's why I was patient at the start of the season. 

I am also old enough to know that most rookies don't start off like JJJ and Ja. There is a learning curve.  We, as fans, need to be patient with them. Keep expectations low for the first year or so. Year three you usually, but not always, see what the player will be as a pro. 

On 1/10/2022 at 3:39 PM, chipc3 said:

I must admit I have written off last season with Ziaire. He was living in a hotel, not practicing and lost two close relatives. That would mess with anyone's game. That's why I was patient at the start of the season. 

I am also old enough to know that most rookies don't start off like JJJ and Ja. There is a learning curve.  We, as fans, need to be patient with them. Keep expectations low for the first year or so. Year three you usually, but not always, see what the player will be as a pro. 

Preach chip!

So is ZW a good defender or not??

I think his sizes and length is what makes him stand out on that end.

The biggest difference right now is he's just playing with confidence. Maybe getting to watch the game up close helped him out after getting his feet wet. 

On 1/10/2022 at 8:16 AM, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Yup … he does have the talent .

Last night he didn’t look as nervous as he usually does out there .

He even got caught on camera hitting shots in rhythm without hesitation AND laughing when he found the buckets. 

Keep grinding young rook … I can see the development… looking at the names we have on the roster - he wouldn’t / shouldn’t have a spot to work with the big bears . He’d be in the GLeague.

Rookies - good rookies - get the most burn on losing teams.

Our guy is out there rocking with the Grizz proper right now.

26 year old Ja and Jaren and 24 year old Zaire is gonna be a show

3 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

So is ZW a good defender or not??

I think his sizes and length is what makes him stand out on that end.

He can blitz.  Looks like he offers good help.

2 minutes ago, My man Allen said:

26 year old Ja and Jaren and 24 year old Zaire is gonna be a show

Dude! 23 yo Ja & Jaren 21 yo Ziaire, and 24 yo Bane are gonna be a show. 

All hail King Kleinman he looks to have done it again. 
ZW8 keep getting comfortable and grinding 

2 minutes ago, QMemphis said:

All hail King Kleinman he looks to have done it again. 
ZW8 keep getting comfortable and grinding 

Bonus points for us actually having to chase ZW.  Didn’t fall into our laps.  We had to maneuver and move up in the draft.  We found a player/draft spot we wanted to get to then we got there.  Hats off!

2 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Bonus points for us actually having to chase ZW.  Didn’t fall into our laps.  We had to maneuver and move up in the draft.  We found a player/draft spot we wanted to get to then we got there.  Hats off!

Well, there is still the argument that we didn’t have to chase him, but, I’m glad we did. Full trust in this front office.

4 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I’m super curious, but will never know - I wonder how down he would have been picked, if not for us. I don’t care because we got Adams and a 1st round pick out of it too. 

2 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

Well, there is still the argument that we didn’t have to chase him, but, I’m glad we did. Full trust in this front office.

We may not have needed to, but just for moving up we were rewarded with Adams and the Lakers 1st round pick for our troubles

If we decide to resign Ja, Tyus, Clarke and maybe Adams in this next offseason. I expect Kleinman to make 3 selections in the next draft.

ZW showed us tonight how much Ja loves having an above the rim wing.    Man give that kid some muscle milk and he will be a problem come next season.   He has legit shot creation and passing ability  at 6'8ish.