Grizzhype

New Official 2022 Grind City Draft Thread & Lottery Picks Watch!

1 hour ago, kevofrommempho said:

More excited for the draft than the Finals.

Well we're not in the finals, we are certainly in the draft. 

1 hour ago, JittyForTheCity said:

New ESPN mock has us taking Chandler then Houstan.

I really liked KC at UT, but man it would seem weird to draft a backup PG. If he's high on their board, I guess it makes sense to lock in a solid rotational guy at $2-$3M/year.

Chandler is a small guard. I really don’t like super small guards running the point but that is just me. Houstan underperformed at Michigan but was a top 10 talent coming out of high school. 

I really liked KC at UT, but man it would seem weird to draft a backup PG. If he's high on their board, I guess it makes sense to lock in a solid rotational guy at $2-$3M/year.

I would assume that Kennedy Chandler would be one of the better players on the board at 22 if he were there.  BAD point guard draft, but he's pretty good.  He also becomes Tyus Jones insurance.  

Caleb Houstan is a tall shooter, basically a stretch 4 so that should help.  We can use as many floor spacers as possible.  I am thinking that Houstan could be the guy we thought Patrick Baldwin Jr. would be.  

That would be a solid draft for us.

I am assuming we have worked out KC and maybe Houstan.  If not, then we probably have a good handle on them as prospects.

The upside of getting Kennedy Chandler is that if Tyus Jones wants too much money we can get someone like Delon Wright for a cheaper rate.  And, maybe even do a sign and trade with Tyus Jones for someone like Mitchell Robinson.

I am thinking that if we drafted KC/Houstan then maybe we shop the 47th pick, trade out OR get a draft/stash player.

2 hours ago, JittyForTheCity said:

I would be surprised that a team like the Knicks or the Wizards don't draft Kennedy Chandler seeing how they need point guards -- and that I don't see a ton of great point guards coming out next year EITHER.

21 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I seem to remember him saying that. 

You must be much closer to my age than I thought.

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I would be surprised that a team like the Knicks or the Wizards don't draft Kennedy Chandler seeing how they need point guards -- and that I don't see a ton of great point guards coming out next year EITHER.

Herrington threw out a sign and trade of Tyus for Kyle Kuzma in his latest column. Very interesting idea if the Wiz are trying to clear a logjam at forward.

Herrington threw out a sign and trade of Tyus for Kyle Kuzma in his latest column. Very interesting idea if the Wiz are trying to clear a logjam at forward.

I think we were rumored to be interested in Kuzma (or at least there was some chatter about us getting him in a Iggy trade, it might not have been something we were considering). He'd certainly fill a need. He became a pretty good rebounder this year, shoots pretty well from deep, fairly efficient overall, was a pretty decent playmaker last year. He's more or less than dynamic do-everything forward we need to round out the roster. He's an NBA champion as well. He could be a good fit with Jaren and Adams. 

I'd be interested in that for sure. He's on a very reasonable contract as well. I'm not sure how the Wizards feel about him. He was one of their best players tbf, but they are fairly deep at PF. 

8 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Chandler is a small guard. I really don’t like super small guards running the point but that is just me. Houstan underperformed at Michigan but was a top 10 talent coming out of high school. 

A lot of people think Houstan has a promise towards the end the 1st 

3 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I think we were rumored to be interested in Kuzma (or at least there was some chatter about us getting him in a Iggy trade, it might not have been something we were considering). He'd certainly fill a need. He became a pretty good rebounder this year, shoots pretty well from deep, fairly efficient overall, was a pretty decent playmaker last year. He's more or less than dynamic do-everything forward we need to round out the roster. He's an NBA champion as well. He could be a good fit with Jaren and Adams. 

I'd be interested in that for sure. He's on a very reasonable contract as well. I'm not sure how the Wizards feel about him. He was one of their best players tbf, but they are fairly deep at PF. 

I’d love the Grizz to get Kuzma I wanted them to draft him after his performance in the combine.

I want no parts in any pg that’s under 6ft and can’t play with Ja since Taylor loves two pg lineups so much

I read an interesting article today about the likelihood of drafting a good player based on career win shares in each draft. The author looked at 13 drafts and found each draft has on average 18 good players, 7 about all stars, and between 1 and 2 hall of famers. Obviously this fluctuates based on the draft so some drafts have higher numbers and some lower. In the lottery about 8.5 players end up good, in the second half of the first about 6 end up good, and in the second round and 3.5 end up good. Here is the article if anybody wants to take a look: https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/defining-the-reality-of-the-nba-draft/

Curious what people's thoughts are. To me I felt like this reinforced my idea to swing for the fences at the top of the draft and then just try to get role players outside the lottery

3 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

I want no parts in any pg that’s under 6ft and can’t play with Ja since Taylor loves two pg lineups so much

If TyTy Washington falls to 22, would we pick him over guys like Terry, Wesley, Hardy?

3 hours ago, Grizball said:

If TyTy Washington falls to 22, would we pick him over guys like Terry, Wesley, Hardy?

I hope not over him

I really hope we get a good draft class, I want 3 players.

In fact, if we cant move our picks up I want to trade 47th + Melton to get a extra 1st in the 15-20s, so we can get some of those best prospects available.

29th should be Dereon Seabron, I know it would be early for him (he might be even available at 47th), but he is one of the steals of the draft.

6 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

In fact, if we cant move our picks up I want to trade 47th + Melton to get a extra 1st in the 15-20s, so we can get some of those best prospects available.

29th should be Dereon Seabron, I know it would be early for him (he might be even available at 47th), but he is one of the steals of the draft.

If somebody trades a 15 for Melton + 47, their fanbase will revolt.

It will look like this...

360_F_102352200_ZO21uq4GdxogneJ8lmUebHWf

24 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

What about Brooks + 29 for 15 and we take back Hayward's contract? Would Charlotte fans revolt? Would Memphis fans revolt? Who would have to be there at 15 for Memphis to want to do this deal? Keep in mind that Brooks is in the last year of his deal and may want a raise and a long term commitment and that we just had our best regular season in franchise history with him out injured for most of the year.

Hayward makes over 30 mil/year and missed around 100 games injured the last 3 seasons.

Ochai Agbaji or better at 15 to even consider it.  If.

1 hour ago, bhoyal said:

Hayward would have to be involved

1 hour ago, bhoyal said:

Hayward makes over 30 mil/year and missed around 100 games injured the last 3 seasons.

Ochai Agbaji or better at 15 to even consider it.  If.

Not out of the question that Agbaji could be there. Branham could be there, Eason and Williams will probably be there. Eason has the potential to be a star on both ends of the floor, he is already a great defender and if he makes a couple small improvements on offense he will be the guy who in a few years everyone will wonder how the team that gets him was able to get him where they got him.

ALT GRIND METRICS TOP 25

Based on college stats.  

These players should provide value on a Moneyball basis.

Although this is NOT a mock draft -- and NOT a BIG BOARD.  I will post my Big Board by Monday.

YES, I DO take my advanced stats metrics into account.  

Chet Holmgren MIGHT have better stats than anyone since 2020 (when I started the metrics).  For that reason, I think Chet should be a top 4 pick -- if not for metrics he fits the profile of a pick in the 8-12 range.  I think you HAVE to respect the STATS (AND the pedigree).

1.  Chet Holmgren                173.352

2.  Walker Kessler                 78.684

3.  Mark Williams                  48.024

4.  Keegan Murray                 47.325

5.  Kennedy Chandler            43.922

6.  Christian Koloko               41.389

7.  Taze Moore                        34.715

8.  Dalen Terry                          33.855

9.  Vince Williams, Jr.             32.517

10.  Jake LaRavia                     30.232

11.  Tari Eason                          30.017

12.  Andrew Nembhard           29.107

13.  E.J. Liddell                          28.984

14.  Jabari Smith, Jr.                  25.25

15.  Keon Ellis                            21.817

16.  David Roddy                        21.548

17.  Trevion Williams                 20.624

18.  Wendell Moore, Jr.              18.383

19.  Christian Braun                    17.067

20.  TyTy Washington                  16.167

21.  Orlando Robinson                 16.113

22.  Jeremy Sochan                      14.317

23.  Tevin Brown                            13.737

24.  Collin Gillespie                         11.135

25.  Scotty Pippen, Jr.                    11.055

14 hours ago, Grizball said:

As sad as this makes me feel I don’t think the Grizz will draft Terry even if he was available. I think Terry is the perfect player for the Grizz to draft and he will likely put play his draft position and be one of the top players from this class. 

10 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

There are alot of good wings in this draft. The Grizz have already said the 47th pick is gonna be a stash guy either overseas or on the hustle. That’s if they keep the pick. I totally expect them to draft someone at 29 that hasn’t been mocked to them. I expect it’s Caleb Houstan.

I’d be ok with that even though Houstan wasn’t good at Michigan he still can develop into another good three point shooter off the bench.

As long as they draft Terry if he’s available I honestly don’t care who else they get 😂

1 minute ago, Ndq0327 said:

There are alot of good wings in this draft. The Grizz have already said the 47th pick is gonna be a stash guy either overseas or on the hustle. That’s if they keep the pick. I totally expect them to draft someone at 29 that hasn’t been mocked to them. I expect it’s Caleb Houstan.

I’d be ok with that even though Houstan wasn’t good at Michigan he still can develop into another good three point shooter off the bench.

As long as they draft Terry if he’s available I honestly don’t care who else they get 😂

Caleb Houston is being mocked to us lately