Grizzhype

New Official 2022 Grind City Draft Thread & Lottery Picks Watch!

Dalen Terry or Jalen Williams would be a great pickup at either position. I believe they can both run the point, but possess great length and shooting to play off ball as well. 

If Eason is avaliable at 22, which is looking like it might be a possibility, then you take him. He's just a winner and a tenacious defender. The 3 point shot will need some work, but has already improved. 

Getting Eason and Terry (or Williams and LaRavia), would accomplish exactly what we set out to do. A combo forward that plays great defense, that can at least somewhat stretch the floor, and a combo guard that can run point and be a versatile piece for us. The good news is neither of these players will have to play starter minutes next year. They will be able to contribute, while being able to be developed off the bench. Like what Bane was able to do his rookie year. 

On 6/12/2022 at 9:40 AM, Rdk4121 said:

Honestly a good point. I haven't really seen him in many mocks at all. He's a bona-fide scorer, and probably in the same vein as a Collin Sexton. Not a true PG. He'd be a good for the second unit with Melton though as Melton can cover for him defensively (he did finally improve on D, but probably still not going to be his calling card). At 47, not a bad pick at all. 

Edited to add, at PG I still think I would rather have Dalen Terry (I believe he can play PG), or Chandler at 29, and Nembhard at 47. Nembhard is a fantastic defender and turned into a good shooter, and he should be able to play with Ja given his size. 

Sexton can be had for next to nothing right now I would guess.  Probably the injury issue.

Pippen Jr. seems very sturdy.  SEC refs let other teams beat up on him and he just kept on going and going.

Like this...

17877575.jpg

1 hour ago, bhoyal said:

Sexton can be had for next to nothing right now I would guess.  Probably the injury issue.

Pippen Jr. seems very sturdy.  SEC refs let other teams beat up on him and he just kept on going and going.

Like this...

17877575.jpg

If we go "BPA wing at 22" would Pippen, Jr. be an option at 29? Assuming the top wings and bigs were already off the board?

I don't see a ton of bigs even worth drafting.  And a few look like they are going way too high.  Not a ton of great point guard prospects either.  Lots of wings, but the secondary wings (and worse) aren't really worth writing home about.  Too many interchangeable 2's/3's.  Guessing most go anywhere from where we end up picking, that is, somewhere between 22 and 47.  

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

If we go "BPA wing at 22" would Pippen, Jr. be an option at 29? Assuming the top wings and bigs were already off the board?

I don't see a ton of bigs even worth drafting.  And a few look like they are going way too high.  Not a ton of great point guard prospects either.  Lots of wings, but the secondary wings (and worse) aren't really worth writing home about.  Too many interchangeable 2's/3's.  Guessing most go anywhere from where we end up picking, that is, somewhere between 22 and 47.  

I haven't seen him in a single mock that I've looked at, so at best he's an option at 47. I saw someone rank the top 10 PG prospects, and he wasn't in that list. He's headed for a late second or UDFA territory. At 47, we're probably just putting someone on a 2 way spot anyway, so getting first dibs on who you want isn't a bad idea. 

34 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:
Josh Robbins: Notre Dame guard Blake Wesley said he has upcoming workouts scheduled with the Grizzlies, Heat and Bulls. Wesley worked out for the Wizards this morning and said he previously worked out for the Nuggets, Spurs, Cavaliers, Hornets, Bucks and Pistons.

Count me fully out on Wesley. He's a guy that isn't particularly good on offense or defense, can't shoot, and can't run the point. He was a net negative on an otherwise good ND team. His win shares/ 48 was 10th on his team, his BPM was also 10th. He had the worst offensive rating on his team, towards the bottom on defensive rating. He might be a high upside guy, but there are so many better options than him on the board. 

32 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Count me fully out on Wesley. He's a guy that isn't particularly good on offense or defense, can't shoot, and can't run the point. He was a net negative on an otherwise good ND team. His win shares/ 48 was 10th on his team, his BPM was also 10th. He had the worst offensive rating on his team, towards the bottom on defensive rating. He might be a high upside guy, but there are so many better options than him on the board. 

yea he doesn't excite me either.   I just like seeing confirmation that they are looking at scoring combo guards and big wing defenders.   I have supreme confidence in whoever they pick.  but if they do go development route i want the player to have at least elite physical tools. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

yea he doesn't excite me either.   I just like seeing confirmation that they are looking at scoring combo guards and big wing defenders.   I have supreme confidence in whoever they pick.  but if they do go development route i want the player to have at least elite physical tools. 

I'd rather have Wesley than the stiff Walker Kessler from Auburn. He reminds me of Swen Nater back in the day and he was only a back-up center when centers were the most important player on the team. In today's switching defenses can you imagine anything worse that Walker Kessler getting switched to a wing or PG?

Did you guys know Swen Nater was the only person to lead both the ABA and NBA in rebounding for a season? He wasn't a bad player but he was very stiff and would never have been drafted in today's NBA. Kessler is a better blocker and not as good a rebounder but they are very similar in appearance. 

image.jpegImage result for Walker Kessler

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I'd rather have Wesley than the stiff Walker Kessler from Auburn. He reminds me of Sven Nader back in the day and he was only a back-up center when centers were the most important player on the team. In today's switching defenses can you imagine anything worse that Walker Kessler getting switched to a wing or PG? 

true which is why i am so glad they have been primarily working out guards and wings.  Majority of the guys they have brought in also have some defensive pedigree as well.  

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I'd rather have Wesley than the stiff Walker Kessler from Auburn. He reminds me of Sven Nader back in the day and he was only a back-up center when centers were the most important player on the team. In today's switching defenses can you imagine anything worse that Walker Kessler getting switched to a wing or PG? 

Kessler is good but he’s slow like you are implying.  I would go with Will Perdue speed but the skills/tools are there.  

3 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Agreed

Does anyone else think the FO might draft someone’s no one’s been talking about similar to how they drafted Santi last year. Hugo Besson and Gabriel Procida could be dark horses at 29. I know they’ve both been mentioned but no hyped as much as the college kids

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I'd rather have Wesley than the stiff Walker Kessler from Auburn. He reminds me of Swen Nater back in the day and he was only a back-up center when centers were the most important player on the team. In today's switching defenses can you imagine anything worse that Walker Kessler getting switched to a wing or PG?

Did you guys know Swen Nater was the only person to lead both the ABA and NBA in rebounding for a season? He wasn't a bad player but he was very stiff and would never have been drafted in today's NBA. Kessler is a better blocker and not as good a rebounder but they are very similar in appearance. 

image.jpegImage result for Walker Kessler

Did you know that when Bill Walton was at UCLA and considered the best college player in America, they asked him in an interview who the best center was he had faced and he said it was his backup Swen Nater in practice every day.  Quite a compliment.

1 hour ago, bhoyal said:

Did you know that when Bill Walton was at UCLA and considered the best college player in America, they asked him in an interview who the best center was he had faced and he said it was his backup Swen Nater in practice every day.  Quite a compliment.

I think Nater led the league in rebounding one season.

2 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Does anyone else think the FO might draft someone’s no one’s been talking about similar to how they drafted Santi last year. Hugo Besson and Gabriel Procida could be dark horses at 29. I know they’ve both been mentioned but no hyped as much as the college kids

Besson looks like a small gunner who doesn't shoot it all that well -- Procida looks a bit more promising.

11 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Dalen Terry or Jalen Williams would be a great pickup at either position. I believe they can both run the point, but possess great length and shooting to play off ball as well. 

If Eason is avaliable at 22, which is looking like it might be a possibility, then you take him. He's just a winner and a tenacious defender. The 3 point shot will need some work, but has already improved. 

Getting Eason and Terry (or Williams and LaRavia), would accomplish exactly what we set out to do. A combo forward that plays great defense, that can at least somewhat stretch the floor, and a combo guard that can run point and be a versatile piece for us. The good news is neither of these players will have to play starter minutes next year. They will be able to contribute, while being able to be developed off the bench. Like what Bane was able to do his rookie year. 

I just hope any of those scenarios happen, might be difficult since they are climbing the boards. Just hope FO do their thing and move up to get those guys.

Watching the Wiggins redemption makes me say "Go draft me a Big athletic  wing bruh".   Eason Beauchamp Kendall.. make it happen Kleinman. 

6 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Let's hope they learned a lesson and didn't promise anybody.

Santi Aldama and his blazing 13% 3 point shooting didn't exactly look like high level rotation player stuff his rookie year.

In the off chance the Grizzlies stand pat, I've officially settled on my ideal draft for the Grizzlies (until I change my mind tomorrow):

22) Jaden Hardy - shot-creating 3rd guard that could raise the playoff ceiling remarkably.

29) Walker Kessler - long-term Adams replacement and could be as impactful as a starter in the NBA a Mark Williams who will likely go late lottery. Love the skillset he brings both offensively and defensively to compliment JJJ.

47) David Roddy - such a unique player; an impact player if he hits.

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Watching the Wiggins redemption makes me say "Go draft me a Big athletic  wing bruh".   Eason Beauchamp Kendall.. make it happen Kleinman. 

They are 100% trading up for one of these big wings. I think they are going to try to get as high as AJ Griffin/Shadeon territory, but if not they're getting an Eason type in the mid-1st.

8 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

You've got me liking Procida -- that stroke is nice as hell! Definitely seeing the fit. Looks like a high-upside Konchar tbh.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

They are 100% trading up for one of these big wings. I think they are going to try to get as high as AJ Griffin/Shadeon territory, but if not they're getting an Eason type in the mid-1st.

It's really hard to trade into top 10 territory when you are in the late first round. 

Even Dillion AND our firsts isn't enough. 

24 minutes ago, Teddy.B said:

It's really hard to trade into top 10 territory when you are in the late first round. 

Even Dillion AND our firsts isn't enough. 

Don't forget about the $20M in cap space to take on unwanted salary, Clarke, Melton, Adams as a solid starter on a large expiring deal, GSW 24 1st, all MEM future 1sts, etc. It's definitely not likely, and yeah top-10 is really hard to crack, but if either of those guys falls toward the back of the top-10 or further, I can absolutely see this going down and Kleiman getting up to #8-14 to pluck him.

I think they can if they want to trade up to top 10, and FO is probably looking at players with highest upside regardless of position, they are not drafting for needs or positions.

I like Sharpe if they move up high enough to maybe 10 or 7. We have cap space, extra draft picks (22, 2024 GS pick), good young players like Melton, Dillon, BC, big expiring contract in Adams. It’s highly likely they will make some kind of trades. 

7 hours ago, Thomas said:

In the off chance the Grizzlies stand pat, I've officially settled on my ideal draft for the Grizzlies (until I change my mind tomorrow):

22) Jaden Hardy - shot-creating 3rd guard that could raise the playoff ceiling remarkably.

29) Walker Kessler - long-term Adams replacement and could be as impactful as a starter in the NBA a Mark Williams who will likely go late lottery. Love the skillset he brings both offensively and defensively to compliment JJJ.

47) David Roddy - such a unique player; an impact player if he hits.

After seeing what happened to Adams and other Bigs in the playoffs - why is anyone looking at Kessler types in first round? IMHO only type of traditional 5s we should think of drafting to pair with Jaren are the Freak of Nature types like Duren.   I just don't want to waste a 1rst rd pick on a stiff.