Grizzhype

New Official 2022 Grind City Draft Thread & Lottery Picks Watch!

19 hours ago, Thegoodguys said:

The big question for him is can he learn to shoot. If he can't he could very well end up just like Culver and Winslow have. Could Sochan learn to shoot? Maybe, but his college percentages are worse than either Winslow or Culver at 29.6% from 3 and 58.9% from the free throw line. I'm all for taking swings on upside guys early in the lottery, but there's no need to swing to get a role player. Just draft an older 3&D guy if you want a 3&D guy. 

I would personally go conservative with all of our picks this draft. We have our stars in place now we need their supporting cast. In my opinion the time to take swings is when you don't have stars like the teams at the top of the lottery or after you have gotten your stars and role players in place like the teams still in the playoffs. Plus we just took a swing on an upside wing last year with ZW, we really just need a reliable 3&D wing.

I like both of those forwards from Baylor and would be happy if we draft any of those. They will devolop their jumper and will be great players in the legaue.

Sometimes I feel like I have done more draft research on the 2023 draft than quite a few NBA FO's have done on THIS draft.  lol

For 2023: Still on J Lawson Island.  Also like his bro Chandler.  If Matthew Mayer is staying in school then I like Crystal Meth Larry Legend.  At the very least, J Lawson and Matthew Mayer can be stunt doubles in an ESPN 30 For 30 biopic about the 80's NBA.  Also: gimme some more Kok Yat highlights!

2022: great BAD draft.  Top 4-5ish look bust-tastic.  Shades of Sam Bowie/Jabari Parker/Harold Miner.  Chet has an gives off odd Adam Morrison/Greg Oden mash-up vibes -- which is what EVERY NBA Draft Sadist has been waiting for.

6 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

I take great comfort in this being one of the worst possible outcomes for the Pelicans. 

10 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

I like both of those forwards from Baylor and would be happy if we draft any of those. They will devolop their jumper and will be great players in the legaue.

I agree that they will be good players if they develop their jumpers, maybe like a Jae Crowder type guy. The problem is that they might not. All 3 of the main 3 point shooting indicators (free throw percentage, 3 point percentage, and 3 point volume) are poor for both guys. Brown's FT% and 3pt% are both a little better but the volumes of both are super low. Some guys like Jaylen Brown and OG develop 3 point shooting regardless of poor indicators, but it has sunk a lot more guys in recent years like Kris Dunn, Markelle Fultz, Josh Jackson, Zhaire Smith, Josh Okogie, Justice Winslow, Jarrett Culver, and Sekou Doumbouya to name a few. They could develop that shot but it's not a sure thing. 

The other part of the equation is what is the upside with these guys. Do you see them as more than 3&D guys if the shot comes around?

13 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I don't know if anyone has brought up Jordan Hall yet, but he's a 6'7" PG out of St. Joseph's.  He reminds be of Josh Giddey. He's hasn't been efficient from 2p Range, but he's a decent 3p shooter at 36% on large volume, and very good distributor. His shot form isn't great, but it's effective, just like Giddey. Not a fantastic athlete, but being his height with his vision is always something that's intriguing. He's truly a point forward. He'd be one to consider with our 2nd rounder. 

I like him as a second rounder along with a few other point forwards like Wendell Moore, Jalen Williams, and Dalen Terry who have some of the same traits. The main hits I've seen on Hall is that he doesn't have much of a first step leading to difficulty getting to the rim and is a poor defender. Otherwise he's got that length, shooting, and passing like you mentioned. He'd be a good backup point guard if Tyus leaves. 

Well maybe Minott might not be such a bad idea. Promise him at 29 he was mocked  in the 40’s so that would get him to shut his workouts down 

15 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I don't know if anyone has brought up Jordan Hall yet, but he's a 6'7" PG out of St. Joseph's.  He reminds be of Josh Giddey. He's hasn't been efficient from 2p Range, but he's a decent 3p shooter at 36% on large volume, and very good distributor. His shot form isn't great, but it's effective, just like Giddey. Not a fantastic athlete, but being his height with his vision is always something that's intriguing. He's truly a point forward. He'd be one to consider with our 2nd rounder. 

He’d be the one left over after all the other planking wings get picked.

5 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Well maybe Minott might not be such a bad idea. Promise him at 29 he was mocked  in the 40’s so that would get him to shut his workouts down 

What in that video made you say he may not be a bad idea?

45 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

No small players anymore.  We need length and athleticism with shooting.  I do not want 6”0 Chandler 

I tend to think FO thinks this way too.  Both Ziaire and Santi have good height and reach. They drafted both of these guys before most people thought they would be drafted.  

ALT GRIND LOTTO UPDATE

This is my big board (top 14) WITH TRADES to synch up where I have players being drafted and WHO might be good fits for those particular players.

Pretty much ALL the players will be fit-dependent.

Jabari Smith, Jr. might be the highest tiered guy and the ONLY Tier 1.75 player.

I have been kicking the tires on some draft tiers -- but I will hold off on that.  This being an ODD draft, I can see there only basically being 4 tiers: 1.75/2.75/3.25/4.5 and that should pretty much cover the majority of the second round too.

1. Magic to Thunder    Jabari Smith, Jr. (Sneaky Deluxe Horry/Battier/Moneyball Bob McAdoo)

2. Thunder to Magic     Chet Holmgren (Value Vlade/Hipster Bill Walton/bust potential but so what)

3.  Rockets                 MarJon Beauchamp (if dude had a jumper he would be Moneyball Kobe)

4.  Kings                           Christian Braun (great fit with Fox/Sabonis/Davion Mitchell)

5.  Pistons to Pacers      Nikola Jovic (NOT LUKA DONCIC.  BUT, solid comps similar to the comps for Luka?  Reset Chris Mullin/Broke Bird)

6. Pacers to Pistons   Paolo Banchero (shades of Bernard King, Kevin Love, Derrick Coleman, and, for some reason I want to watch Terry Cummings highlights maybe even some Jeff Ruland highlights)

7.  Blazers to Spurs     Christian Koloko (Moneyball Ayton)

8.  Pelicans                    Dyson Daniels (could be Big Easy Magic)

9.  Spurs to Blazers to Magic  Jaden Hardy (can shoot/score/shoot.  He might be the guy that Sir Charles thought Hersey Hawkins was)

10. Wizards to Knicks        Kennedy Chandler (shades of CP3/Kyle Lowry?  Some Sam Cassell)

11.  Knicks to Wizards to Blazers   Jaden Ivey (is POOR MAN'S JA anything more than a bench cog?  Might be a Tyreke Evans caliber player)

12. Thunder to Magic to Blazers to Wizards   Keegan Murray (Shades of Shareef Abdur-Rahim, although I watched ZERO Shareef Abdur-Rahim.  Great advanced stats.  Could end up being the NEW AGE Adrian Dantley).

13. Hornets                                Shaedon Sharpe (over-rated but might be under-rated by draft night.  High ceiling LOW floor with Shandon Anderson/Harold Miner/Mario Ellie vibes with high end shades of Sydney Moncrieff.  Best UPSIDE scenario would be Prime-ish David Thompson).

14.  Cavaliers to Hornets*         Ibou Dianko-Badji (* Cavs trade down to 15 swapping picks with the Hornets.  NBA Draft Room's comp for Badji has been Dikembe, so MONEYBALL MUTOMBO might be a good comp for Badji -- although that would obviously be a fairly HIGH END comp. BROKE Robert Parish???     Also shades of William Bedford/JaVale McGee/Birdman/Darryl Dawkins/Tree Rollins).

34 minutes ago, justinhoppy said:

speaking of length, I am really interested in Jalen Williams as our combo guard/do it all player off the bench. 

Dang that's since nice length and it looks like he added some weight too. Last I saw he was listed about 195 lbs. Seems like a great fit as a point forward running the bench if Tyus leaves or I suppose just filling the 3 spot if Tyus stays. Maybe he could even move into that starter spot at the 3 depending on how his defense is

9 minutes ago, Thegoodguys said:

Dang that's since nice length and it looks like he added some weight too. Last I saw he was listed about 195 lbs. Seems like a great fit as a point forward running the bench if Tyus leaves or I suppose just filling the 3 spot if Tyus stays. Maybe he could even move into that starter spot at the 3 depending on how his defense is

The issue is his defense is supposedly lacking. 

32 minutes ago, justinhoppy said:

The issue is his defense is supposedly lacking. 

In his highlights he looks like Jordan Adams.

11 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

You can always tell a dude was bricking plenty shots when they have to cut after every make 🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, King Dork said:

You can always tell a dude was bricking plenty shots when they have to cut after every make 🤣🤣🤣

lol

Yeah, these guys never miss!  

haha

LOVE these Bizarro World draft combines!

Why are we going after players in the Jordan Adams/Kyle Anderson mold? Even if you HIT on the pick what exactly do you WIN?

1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

Why are we going after players in the Jordan Adams/Kyle Anderson mold? Even if you HIT on the pick what exactly do you WIN?

I don’t see either of those guys in Jalen Williams. But he also had his worst games of the season against Gonzaga and St. Mary’s, the only 2 good teams in that league. 

1 minute ago, King Dork said:

I don’t see either of those guys in Jalen Williams. But he also had his worst games of the season against Gonzaga and St. Mary’s, the only 2 good teams in that league. 

At 47 he might be BPA, but I don't see him a ton in the first round (of mock drafts or big boards).

... if we scouted the kid in person then we should defer to our scouts.  IN PERSON they can see things that don't show up on highlight reels (or even advanced stats).

I think the ALT GRIND brand of basketball got us where we are NOW.  BUT, to make the next leap forward we need more than a brand, we need a basketball LIFESTYLE aka SHOWTIME 901.

5 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

You have the most ridiculous player comparisons, pretty sure you just throw out whatever names pop in your head. 

2 minutes ago, justinhoppy said:

You have the most ridiculous player comparisons, pretty sure you just throw out whatever names pop in your head. 

... that's who Jalen Williams reminds me of, looking at his highlights.  The advanced stats are MEH.  Not worth a 'promise' at 22 or even 29.  Although after 15ish picks or so, the draft flattens out again with a bunch of Tier 4.5 types.

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

... that's who Jalen Williams reminds me of, looking at his highlights.  The advanced stats are MEH.  Not worth a 'promise' at 22 or even 29.  Although after 15ish picks or so, the draft flattens out again with a bunch of Tier 4.5 types.

He had a 6.0 BPM with a 118 offensive rating and a 102 defensive rating, 22.8 PER, over 60% true shooting %, and .184 win shares per 40. Certainly on par or better than a guy like TyTy Washington who is protected to go in the lottery. Every single one of those numbers are better than Malaki Branham, who is a mid first kind of guy. Or Agbaji or Max Christie. 

His actual stats, and advanced stats compare very favorably with the other guards/ wings in this draft. He's easily the best passer among those guys I mentioned as well, which is something that the FO has said they want from their players. 

1 hour ago, King Dork said:

He had a game against St Mary's where he went 7-10 with 18 points and 10 assists. He only had one bad game against them where he went like 6-16 in the conference tournament.