Grizzhype

New Official 2022 Grind City Draft Thread & Lottery Picks Watch!

59 minutes ago, Grizzliesfan777 said:

All this talk about good potential players has me thinking - who are the ultimate red flag players in the draft? Basically, who would you put money on being the busts. 

PBJ if he gets drafted to the wrong team. 

Chet Holmgren only cause he’s gonna get draft way too high

Nikola Jovic can’t guard any position and don’t think he has nba level athleticism 

The most likely bust in the draft is whoever Sacramento picks. 

I like using history as a gauge of future success. 🤣

18 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

This guy will keep rising boards, I would trade up for him.

The big question for him is can he learn to shoot. If he can't he could very well end up just like Culver and Winslow have. Could Sochan learn to shoot? Maybe, but his college percentages are worse than either Winslow or Culver at 29.6% from 3 and 58.9% from the free throw line. I'm all for taking swings on upside guys early in the lottery, but there's no need to swing to get a role player. Just draft an older 3&D guy if you want a 3&D guy. 

I would personally go conservative with all of our picks this draft. We have our stars in place now we need their supporting cast. In my opinion the time to take swings is when you don't have stars like the teams at the top of the lottery or after you have gotten your stars and role players in place like the teams still in the playoffs. Plus we just took a swing on an upside wing last year with ZW, we really just need a reliable 3&D wing.

14 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Give me Jalen Williams with either first rounder. He's 6'6" with a 7' wingspan. Shot over 50% from the floor, 39.6% from 3, averaged 18.5 ppg and 4.2 assists per game as well. He's a pretty solid defender as well. 

He's truly a combo guard, as he can legitimately run the point, while also being an off-ball threat. He's exactly what we need. 

Him and Kendall brown would be the prefect draft to me. Brown would be a great combo forward with defensive tenacity we need. Wish brown was a better shooter, but he has a decent form at least. You can teach his athleticism though, and he wouldn't have to have a huge role next year out of the gate. Williams could play 1-3 and brown could play 3/4. 

I read something about him somewhere, can he really play pg? Is he like a Malcolm Brogdon? If so I like him with the 29th pick.

6 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

I read something about him somewhere, can he really play pg? Is he like a Malcolm Brogdon? If so I like him with the 29th pick.

He ran point for Santa Clara this year, I say like a Brogdon type player is a fair comp. He's a combo guard for sure. Almost like a non-headcase version of Kevin Porter Jr. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

The most likely bust in the draft is whoever Sacramento picks. 

I like using history as a gauge of future success. 🤣

That’s pretty much the correct answer.  lol

Although the contrarian in me thinks that the Human Bust-O-Meter aka Chet Holmgren (he of Bosh-ish AT BEST vibes) would be an ideal pick for the Kings.  Same with Shaedon Sharpe and he seems fairly bustastic too.  

If they go BPA I don’t get how Domatas Sabonis and Banchero are gonna coexist.  Same with Ivey/Fox. 

Maybe they should trade down with the Hornets for 13/15.

On 5/14/2022 at 12:00 AM, Grizzfan7979 said:

I saw him play plenty. Athletic as hell but raw, can't shoot, tonly scores around rim.

Just an athlete right now, there's a million guys like him out there.

So Minott would be cheap BC insurance at 47?  Got it!!!

3 hours ago, Grizzliesfan777 said:

All this talk about good potential players has me thinking - who are the ultimate red flag players in the draft? Basically, who would you put money on being the busts. 

I can see a scenario where all of Chet/Banchero/Ivey/Sharpe are ALL busts.  And Jabari Smith Jr and Keegan Murray aren’t viewed as busts since they are so friggin’ generic. lol

Gimme those “red flag guys:  Beauchamp and Dyson Daniels and Kennedy Chandler. Christian Braun can be our Dillon Brooks replacement.  I like Koloko.  Ibou Badji is worth a flyer.  Even as high as 22.  Kai Sotto is worth a flyer.  Vince Williams Jr can be a Jae Crowder type (in my opinion).  

Not sure if Minott is a top 5 pick or a 2nd round pick in the G League — so put him in that 14-18ish range.

Jalen Duren looks like he could be the next Orlando Woolridge.  Not sure what that even means.

Deep sleeper pick at 47: USC’s Drew Peterson.

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

He ran point for Santa Clara this year, I say like a Brogdon type player is a fair comp. He's a combo guard for sure. Almost like a non-headcase version of Kevin Porter Jr. 

Count me in. 

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I really like the offensive game. Any idea how his defense is?

28 minutes ago, Thegoodguys said:

I really like the offensive game. Any idea how his defense is?

He's a pretty good defender from everything I've seen. Long arms, certainly gives good effort, I think he's more than serviceable. Don't think he'd be elite there, but I think he'd be better than bane for reference just because of the physical attributes, while also giving good effort. 

3 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I can see a scenario where all of Chet/Banchero/Ivey/Sharpe are ALL busts.  And Jabari Smith Jr and Keegan Murray aren’t viewed as busts since they are so friggin’ generic. lol

Gimme those “red flag guys:  Beauchamp and Dyson Daniels and Kennedy Chandler. Christian Braun can be our Dillon Brooks replacement.  I like Koloko.  Ibou Badji is worth a flyer.  Even as high as 22.  Kai Sotto is worth a flyer.  Vince Williams Jr can be a Jae Crowder type (in my opinion).  

Not sure if Minott is a top 5 pick or a 2nd round pick in the G League — so put him in that 14-18ish range.

Jalen Duren looks like he could be the next Orlando Woolridge.  Not sure what that even means.

Deep sleeper pick at 47: USC’s Drew Peterson.

Have you got any info on Dyson Daniels, seen him play, positive and negatives?

Is he someone on the Grizz draft radar?

3 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

He's in the 8-12 range.  So we would have to move up.  I assume our FO has at least heard of him.

A few mocks had us getting him with the Lakers' pick before LaLa Land imploded.

Negatives: can't shoot good.  Not SUPER fast or explosive.  Positives: small forward size but basically a point guard.  Floater game looks nice.  Supposedly good on defense.

He played in the Rising Stars' Game and he stood out -- in a good way.  If you get him, you get him as a slightly faster, slightly more athletic Slo Mo.  Although I am guessing he has a bit more upside than that.

Even IF he is a 10ish pick I think we can still trade up to get him -- especially if we are shopping Dillon Brooks.

I have Beauchamp higher but I have BOTH GUYS super high.  Jaden Hardy (the other notable G League Ignite guard/wing) is moving up the boards again and is someone I am also fairly high on, but have a bit lower than MarJon and Dyson.  I have all 3 between Tier 2.0 and Tier 3.0 although one of those 3 could end up being as high as Tier 1.75 with the other 2 (not sure which) at Tier 2.75 (or slightly higher).  I don't really have that many prospects ahead of Beauchamp/Daniels/Hardy.

I might post an updated lotto after they announce the draft order. Big board style, as usual, so then I will make up trades to get the teams drafting in the right order.

4 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

he looks like a FO type for sure.   I am def game if we manage to scoop him up.  

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

Think smaller Kyle Anderson. Same deliberate play with good passing and defense but lack of burst and shooting. He's 3 inches shorter with like 8 inch shorter arms though. That's not too say Daniels is small at 6'6" and an equivalent wingspan but I think the only reason Kyle's game works is that he has so much length to get shots and passes off.

Dalen Terry, Jalen Williams, Jordan Hall, and Wendell Moore are all in that same point forward mold but I think they are all better players than Daniels and will be drafted way later since they are older.

25 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

he looks like a FO type for sure.   I am def game if we manage to scoop him up.  

He reminds me a ton of SGA. Very smooth athlete, crafty ball-handler and finisher, great BBIQ and great passer, with a solid shot and good defense. He's a 3 year player, so I think he should be able to come in and adjust quicker than someone like ZW who was still very raw and young. But year, very much a FO pick I think. 

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

He's in the 8-12 range.  So we would have to move up.  I assume our FO has at least heard of him.

A few mocks had us getting him with the Lakers' pick before LaLa Land imploded.

Negatives: can't shoot good.  Not SUPER fast or explosive.  Positives: small forward size but basically a point guard.  Floater game looks nice.  Supposedly good on defense.

He played in the Rising Stars' Game and he stood out -- in a good way.  If you get him, you get him as a slightly faster, slightly more athletic Slo Mo.  Although I am guessing he has a bit more upside than that.

Even IF he is a 10ish pick I think we can still trade up to get him -- especially if we are shopping Dillon Brooks.

I have Beauchamp higher but I have BOTH GUYS super high.  Jaden Hardy (the other notable G League Ignite guard/wing) is moving up the boards again and is someone I am also fairly high on, but have a bit lower than MarJon and Dyson.  I have all 3 between Tier 2.0 and Tier 3.0 although one of those 3 could end up being as high as Tier 1.75 with the other 2 (not sure which) at Tier 2.75 (or slightly higher).  I don't really have that many prospects ahead of Beauchamp/Daniels/Hardy.

I might post an updated lotto after they announce the draft order. Big board style, as usual, so then I will make up trades to get the teams drafting in the right order.

Thanks for the appraisal 👍

5 minutes ago, Thegoodguys said:

Think smaller Kyle Anderson. Same deliberate play with good passing and defense but lack of burst and shooting. He's 3 inches shorter with like 8 inch shorter arms though. That's not too say Daniels is small at 6'6" and an equivalent wingspan but I think the only reason Kyle's game works is that he has so much length to get shots and passes off.

Dalen Terry, Jalen Williams, Jordan Hall, and Wendell Moore are all in that same point forward mold but I think they are all better players than Daniels and will be drafted way later since they are older.

Thanks for the appraisal 👍

The only thing to add is that in according to an ESPN article I saw, apparently he has grown to 6'8" from his last published measured height. I get you the link a bit later.

This draft is loaded with wings that can run the offense i don’t know if it’s best to groom them to be back up pgs or just leave them as secondary playmakers on the wing

1 hour ago, Thegoodguys said:

As promised earlier

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33751931/australian-guard-dyson-daniels-no-10-prospect-espn-100-enter-2022-nba-draft

Another guy I'm interested in his Caleb Houstan. He looks like the prototypical 3&D player. He's not flashy but he's 6'8" with long arms and a good looking shot. He could be that Herb Jones/Cam Johnson player we're looking floor. He only shot 35.5% from deep, but it was on very good volume at 5 attempts per game. He will certainly need some time to develop, but at 29 he wouldn't be a bad pickup. I think he could reasonably guard 2-4 in the NBA. He played mostly the 3 in college, but I think he'd spend a lot of time at the 4 in the NBA. 

4 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Another guy I'm interested in his Caleb Houstan. He looks like the prototypical 3&D player. He's not flashy but he's 6'8" with long arms and a good looking shot. He could be that Herb Jones/Cam Johnson player we're looking floor. He only shot 35.5% from deep, but it was on very good volume at 5 attempts per game. He will certainly need some time to develop, but at 29 he wouldn't be a bad pickup. I think he could reasonably guard 2-4 in the NBA. He played mostly the 3 in college, but I think he'd spend a lot of time at the 4 in the NBA. 

I think he may go back to school cause he was supposed to be a lock for the 1st round but had a rough year shooting. However if he stays in the draft and falls to the second round he’d be an absolute steal for sure.

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

I think he may go back to school cause he was supposed to be a lock for the 1st round but had a rough year shooting. However if he stays in the draft and falls to the second round he’d be an absolute steal for sure.

As a Michigan fan, I wouldnt touch him with a 39 and a 1/2 foot pole. You’re talking about a player with zero confidence in any aspect of his game - truly the anti-Dillon Brooks.

Combine that with an awfully inaccurate shot, and other glaring holes and you have a guy who is not NBA material. However, he’s very young and could benefit from a year in the G-league at least. I still think he ends up back at Michigan though. 

Now his teammate Diabate is someone I’d love to see the team draft. He’s raw, but shows so much potential and reminds me a lot of 2018 draft Jaren - albeit slightly poorer in just about every department. He also more likely to stay in the draft.