Grizzhype

New Official 2022 Grind City Draft Thread & Lottery Picks Watch!

I think I've decided I like EJ Liddell as the potential Kyle replacement. He's a good defender with a good wingspan. Doesn't have great size or athleticism, but he's a experienced and smart player. His 3 point shot has finally come around shooting over 37% on close to 4 attempts per game, and a pretty good FT shooter for a big at 76%. He feels like a guy we would take. Multiyear starter that has a very polished game. Good feel as a shot blocker despite his height. I think he's honestly pretty similar to Kyle, maybe not going to be bringing the ball up on offense but certainly a willing passer. 

9 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I think I've decided I like EJ Liddell as the potential Kyle replacement. He's a good defender with a good wingspan. Doesn't have great size or athleticism, but he's a experienced and smart player. His 3 point shot has finally come around shooting over 37% on close to 4 attempts per game, and a pretty good FT shooter for a big at 76%. He feels like a guy we would take. Multiyear starter that has a very polished game. Good feel as a shot blocker despite his height. I think he's honestly pretty similar to Kyle, maybe not going to be bringing the ball up on offense but certainly a willing passer. 

You like him over LaRavia?

Also, if we do go for a wing, I love Jalen Williams. He reminds me a ton of Saddiq Bey. He's got a great looking stroke and shot over 39% this year. He's super efficient at over 51% from the floor overall for a SF. Looks like he is a capable defender, great wingpsan at 7' despite only being 6'6" himself. Pretty good handle, can certainly operate as a pick and roll ball handler. Very soft touch around the rim. Not overally explosive, but a very good and smooth athlete. He should be around for either pick. Great passer as well averaging 4.2 assists per game. 

4 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

You like him over LaRavia?

LaRavia is interesting, as he really is very close to what Kyle is, but with 3 point shooting. Good size, though he's either not super coordinated or confident as an athlete. Often times when he catches the ball on a drop off, there's an extra beat that he needs to be able to go up with the ball. He seems to have good speed and when he's on the break he seems like he has plenty of athleticism to finish above the rim, but in certain instances he just doesn't show good coordination so to speak. He looks like he can handle the ball reasonably well for his position, you seem him playing on the perimeter more than EJ. He looks like he would be available with our 2nd rounder though, so he might be someone you take a shot at then. He could replace Tillie. 

6 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

This draft is crazy.  I just saw a mock draft with Duren getting drafted at 30.  

Mock Drafts have no basis in reality. Quoting mock drafts is an opportunity to be considered less than intelligent. 

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

LaRavia is interesting, as he really is very close to what Kyle is, but with 3 point shooting. Good size, though he's either not super coordinated or confident as an athlete. Often times when he catches the ball on a drop off, there's an extra beat that he needs to be able to go up with the ball. He seems to have good speed and when he's on the break he seems like he has plenty of athleticism to finish above the rim, but in certain instances he just doesn't show good coordination so to speak. He looks like he can handle the ball reasonably well for his position, you seem him playing on the perimeter more than EJ. He looks like he would be available with our 2nd rounder though, so he might be someone you take a shot at then. He could replace Tillie. 

I don’t think LaRavia makes it to mid second round he’s only 20 with multiple years college experience I think either guy would be a good Kyle replacement Liddell might have the edge defensively but I think LaRavia could be the more versatile player.

The team could go with a small but hyper athletic front court of EJ and BC that might be fun to watch all the pick n roll possibilities there. 

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

I don’t think LaRavia makes it to mid second round he’s only 20 with multiple years college experience I think either guy would be a good Kyle replacement Liddell might have the edge defensively but I think LaRavia could be the more versatile player.

The team could go with a small but hyper athletic front court of EJ and BC that might be fun to watch all the pick n roll possibilities there. 

I agree that LaRavia has more offensive versatility that EJ, but EJ has more defensive versatility. He actually reminds me a fair amount of Draymond. They are almost exactly the same size from what I have seen. I think he would take Clarke's minutes at the 4 though. I'm not a fan of playing Clarke as a small ball 5 personally. I'd rather have somebody longer with more shot blocking ability.

12 minutes ago, Thegoodguys said:

I agree that LaRavia has more offensive versatility that EJ, but EJ has more defensive versatility. He actually reminds me a fair amount of Draymond. They are almost exactly the same size from what I have seen. I think he would take Clarke's minutes at the 4 though. I'm not a fan of playing Clarke as a small ball 5 personally. I'd rather have somebody longer with more shot blocking ability.

Yea that’s why I’m leaning more towards LaRavia cause in theory you could play him BC and a center. I don’t wanna draft a redundant player to what we have already have but at the same time EJ could make BC expendable cause his offense is more versatile and his defense could possibly be better because he’s bigger and longer. I think either guy would be a good pick for various reasons

If it boils down to Laravia vs Kessler vs Koloko... who would we want with the #30 pick?

10 hours ago, bhoyal said:

If it boils down to Laravia vs Kessler vs Koloko... who would we want with the #30 pick?

I’m taking LaRavia at 22 and Bryce McGowens or Blake Wesley at 29 

15 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Depends on who we picked at 22. In this draft I personally want a 3&D 3/stretch 4, a rim running/rim protecting center, and a backup pg in case Tyus leaves or he or Ja gets injured this year. Tari Eason and Mark Williams are my favorites in those positions, but they will likely be gone by 22. So at 22 I'd take Koloko then Kessler if Koloko is gone. At 29 I would take Champagnie then LaRavia if Champagnie is gone. Then at 47 I would go Collin Gillespe then Andrew Nembhard if Gillespe is gone. So right now I would lean towards Koloko/Champagnie/Gillespe for my ideal draft.

That would give us the options to play versatile lineups around our big 3 of Ja, Bane, and JJJ and be matchup nightmares for teams in the playoffs. You could go big with 2 rim protectors and a lob threat for Ja when you play a rim protecting/rim running center next to JJJ. We could move Jaren to the 5 and Clarke to the 4 for perimeter defense while punishing teams playing small and giving up their interior defensive presence (like the twolves and clippers like to do). The third option would Jaren at the 5, with a stretch 4 making it so we have all shooters on the floor to draw rim protectors like Gobert out of the paint or play them off the floor. 

2 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

How did we end up with 47 again?  For a long time, we didn't have a 2nd rounder this draft right??

I believe that is from us losing the lakers first round pick if they end up within the top 10 which is highly likely. It's coming from NO who got it through some trades because they will get that lakers pick if it falls in the top 10

1 hour ago, Thegoodguys said:

I believe that is from us losing the lakers first round pick if they end up within the top 10 which is highly likely. It's coming from NO who got it through some trades because they will get that lakers pick if it falls in the top 10

Correct.  The pick originally belongs to  Cleveland, who traded it to Atlanta, who traded it to New Orleans, who is now giving it to us as part of the consolation for losing the Laker's 1st round pick.  It's listed at 47, but Cleveland has the same record as Brooklyn, so it may be a coin toss and be 46 instead, or it may be 46 automatically since Brooklyn made the playoffs.  It may also be 45 since Atlanta made the playoffs and Cleveland didn't.  I'm not completely sure how they do the 2nd round order in regards to ties and if the team made the playoffs or not.  

All we need to draft is 

• 3/4 defensively versatile big wing - Tari Eason, Kendall Brown, .... Josh Minott.
  • scoring combo guard w/size  - Dyson Daniels, Jaden Hardy, Alondes Williams, 

Big Wings are expensive to get so drafting and developing one is the most prudent move.  Especially when its time to start paying our Stars.    Draft is always filled with combo guards.  So grabbing one with decent size that can create his own shot should be a no-brainer. 

I wouldnt waste a first rd pick on a Big.  We can find a long athletic shot blocker in the second round. .   Besides a Big isn't really a need for us.  Jaren Adams Santi and BC is an extremely diverse Big rotation.  

The reason why i put Josh Minott as an option isn't a homer pick but for his comboforward skills and lockdown defense potential

Develop him as a comboforward and put him next to Jaren.. HANDCUFFS, CLAMPS!!   Other teams won't even see the basket.  He plays defense like a 6'8' Melton. 

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

All we need to draft is 

• 3/4 defensively versatile big wing - Tari Eason, Kendall Brown, .... Josh Minott.

Big Wings are expensive to get so drafting and developing one is the most prudent move.  Especially when its time to start paying our Stars.    Draft is always filled with combo guards.  So grabbing one with decent size that can create his own shot should be a no-brainer. 

I wouldnt waste a first rd pick on a Big.  We can find a long athletic shot blocker in the second round. .   Besides a Big isn't really a need for us.  Jaren Adams Santi and BC is an extremely diverse Big rotation.  

The reason why i put Josh Minott as an option isn't a homer pick but for his comboforward skills and lockdown defense potential

Develop him as a comboforward and put him next to Jaren.. HANDCUFFS, CLAMPS!!   Other teams won't even see the basket.  He plays defense like a 6'8' Melton. 

I’ve read or heard on a scouting video that Kendal Brown is a good team defender but not so much a one on one defender.

I don’t think Minott stays in the draft he likely transfers to a big conference school and is a lotto guy next year.

If Tari Eason were to slip to 22 he’d be perfect.

I think Jabari Walker could be a sleeper his hype has died down a lot from the beginning of the year but he’s one of the better defenders in college and he has a plus defensive rating on tankathon. 

Like you said the draft is filled with combo guards I don’t think they could go wrong with any of them. 

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

All we need to draft is 

The hell are talking about sir Minott was lost on defense all season, constantly falling asleep.

8 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I’ve read or heard on a scouting video that Kendal Brown is a good team defender but not so much a one on one defender.

I don’t think Minott stays in the draft he likely transfers to a big conference school and is a lotto guy next year.

If Tari Eason were to slip to 22 he’d be perfect.

I think Jabari Walker could be a sleeper his hype has died down a lot from the beginning of the year but he’s one of the better defenders in college and he has a plus defensive rating on tankathon. 

Like you said the draft is filled with combo guards I don’t think they could go wrong with any of them. 

The fact that we have a great development Coach gives us ability to be more flexible.   Also the fact that we aren't desp to obtain a Star because we already have our franchise players.   Means we can focus on guys that fit our culture and have good physical tools no matter their age.  

I am not advocating for Minott but i do want someone w/similar length and athleticism.    So 6'8' with good wingspan and above average athleticism is basic requirement.     If he already has a good reputation as a defender thats a plus.  If his shot isn't broken that is also a plus.  Good bbiq and hard worker is a must.    Which of these guys fit that?   

@Ndq0327 and @ALT GRIND  I trust that ya'll can find that dude for me LOL.  

Then if the guy is identified are we willing to move up to get him? 

I actually wouldn't mind targeting one of the G League Ignite guys (Daniels, Hardy) to be the combo.   I think their experience against real NBA players is a better barometer than college.   

12 minutes ago, Dwash said:

The hell are talking about sir Minott was lost on defense all season, constantly falling asleep.

LOL I didn't really watch U of M so i'l take your word for it.    But physically he fits the profile from a toolbox perspective.   I am not pushing for them to sign Minott.  Don't worry bruh i aint trying to die on that hill. 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

LOL I didn't really watch U of M so i'l take your word for it.    But physically he fits the profile from a toolbox perspective.   I am not pushing for them to sign Minott.  Don't worry bruh i aint trying to die on that hill. 

Yea Jabari Walker is the guy you want 

6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

The fact that we have a great development Coach gives us ability to be more flexible.   Also the fact that we aren't desp to obtain a Star because we already have our franchise players.   Means we can focus on guys that fit our culture and have good physical tools no matter their age.  

I am not advocating for Minott but i do want someone w/similar length and athleticism.    So 6'8' with good wingspan and above average athleticism is basic requirement.     If he already has a good reputation as a defender thats a plus.  If his shot isn't broken that is also a plus.  Good bbiq and hard worker is a must.    Which of these guys fit that?   

@Ndq0327 and @ALT GRIND  I trust that ya'll can find that dude for me LOL.  

Then if the guy is identified are we willing to move up to get him? 

I actually wouldn't mind targeting one of the G League Ignite guys (Daniels, Hardy) to be the combo.   I think their experience against real NBA players is a better barometer than college.   

I think Jaden Hardy or Blake Wesley would fit you combo guard role. Hardy I probably has the better shooting touch but Wesley is bigger and longer 6’5 with a 6’11 wingspan.