bhoyal

Why I (as a JV fan) can live with the trade.

7 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Bingo.  Just like you would never see Jae Crowder on a team in the WCF.

ouch GV…

too soon

23 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Not just the WCF. The Finals. Or even starting the year before for a team in the ECF and the Finals. 

31 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Not just the WCF. The Finals. Or even starting the year before for a team in the ECF and the Finals. 

Well if we are talking about the ECF, I guess you could say you'd never see a player like Solomon Hill playing minutes and having a role on a team that made it to the ECF.

Solomon Hill probably influenced the WC playoffs more than any other player last season.

5 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Well if we are talking about the ECF, I guess you could say you'd never see a player like Solomon Hill playing minutes and having a role on a team that made it to the ECF.

Solomon Hill probably influenced the WC playoffs more than any other player last season.

Solo would be a great vet minimum guy for us next year. If we have a roster spot. 

And he would come back, his grandparents live in North Memphis. 

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Is this another maxim that supposedly everyone on the forum claimed but can’t be found?

27 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

Is this another maxim that supposedly everyone on the forum claimed but can’t be found?

That quote was in reference to Jonas quote above about him not being able to play on a team that could make the WCF.

Justification (for some on this board) for the Justise trade was that none of the outgoing parts (specifically Solo or Jae) could be part of any playoff future for this team as they weren't very good and those guys weren't going to want to stick around on a young team, but both ended up signing on non-playoff teams that were just as young, but both played great leadership roles and played a part on teams that did better than the Grizzlies who jettisoned them.

I think there is too much confidence in this front office as it has been surviving on dealing players for hope and draft picks.  

23 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

That quote was in reference to Jonas quote above about him not being able to play on a team that could make the WCF.

Justification (for some on this board) for the Justise trade was that none of the outgoing parts (specifically Solo or Jae) could be part of any playoff future for this team as they weren't very good and those guys weren't going to want to stick around on a young team, but both ended up signing on non-playoff teams that were just as young, but both played great leadership roles and played a part on teams that did better than the Grizzlies who jettisoned them.

I think there is too much confidence in this front office as it has been surviving on dealing players for hope and draft picks.  

So you are saying you don’t like the trade?

28 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

So you are saying you don’t like the trade?

The current trade is still in progress, i believe.

I think Bledsoe will be paired with someone like Grayson or Brandon Clarke for someone like Buddy Hield or Wiggins or some name I have no clue about right now for a better draft pick or a player with a longer contract.

This trade is not done.

The Winslow trade isn't done either, but the finish line is in sight right now.

I think Bledsoe will be paired with someone like Grayson or Brandon Clarke for someone like Buddy Hield or Wiggins or some name I have no clue about right now for a better draft pick or a player with a longer contract.

This trade is not done.

Yeh I agree. Tough to know exactly what we are looking at doing (which is a good thing - I guess).

Definitely feels like more moves are on the horizon. 

This trade is not done.

I disagree.

I think the Pels trade is done.

Also think the Winslow trade is done.  It's been done for a while. 

20 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

I disagree.

I think the Pels trade is done.

Also think the Winslow trade is done.  It's been done for a while. 

I think the ability to assess this trade is still TBD right now. If we move up to take someone at 5? Take Moody? Etc.

We don’t yet know our return on JV.

As for Winslow I can only assume we won’t pick up his option so that trade will be determined by if we luck out with the GS 1st rounder. I doubt we deal major assets to GS unless it involves returning that pick. 

This trade is not done.

Yeah that's a big factor.  The trade is still open to be adjusted to a three way. 

3 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

I think the ability to assess this trade is still TBD right now. If we move up to take someone at 5? Take Moody? Etc.

As for Winslow I can only assume we won’t pick up his option so that trade will be determined by if we luck out with the GS 1st rounder. I doubt we deal major assets to GS unless it involves returning that pick. 

That was a separate trade. Has nothing to do with the Miami trade. We’d have that GSW pick if we’d have waived Iggy. Which, in retrospect, would have been better for us. 

37 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

This is a fairly deep draft 1 through maybe 20.  We can't get Moody or somebody else good at 10?

I don't see the point in trading up from 10 to 5 this time unless there is some ulterior motive involved.

I'm against trading BC and/or Allen unless we're fleeing somebody on a deal who lost their mind.

49 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

That was a separate trade. Has nothing to do with the Miami trade. We’d have that GSW pick if we’d have waived Iggy. Which, in retrospect, would have been better for us. 

Yeh I get where you are coming from but Iggy is a multi-time All-Star and I believe at the time was a NBAPA rep. Now you and I both know he is a royal POS, but poisoning the well with a guy with that kind of power in the league is a bad move.

We “did right” by him after GS dumped him so I do think those two deal are related. Miami clearly fleeced us in that separate part of that deal, but our hand was forced due to Iggy refusing to play for us AND restricting trade destinations while holding a power position and seeking a trade. 

21 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

This is a fairly deep draft 1 through maybe 20.  We can't get Moody or somebody else good at 10?

I don't see the point in trading up from 10 to 5 this time unless there is some ulterior motive involved.

I'm against trading BC and/or Allen unless we're fleeing somebody on a deal who lost their mind.

I hope we don’t move up because I like Giddy personally, but I am just saying it is too soon to call on this trade.

I too would prefer not to trade Allen or BC. Basically if someone can contribute I would rather not trade them unless it is for a clear upgrade.

13 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

I hope we don’t move up because I like Giddy personally, but I am just saying it is too soon to call on this trade.

I too would prefer not to trade Allen or BC. Basically if someone can contribute I would rather not trade them unless it is for a clear upgrade.

I was watching some Giddey footage last night.  He is an amazing passer.  Didn't see much jump shooting out of him but that might have been the highlights they selected.  Was also not very explosive at taking it to the rim.  It seems like he was always looking to pass when he got within a few feet on the rim on a drive... like he was expecting to get his shot blocked unless he was driving on somebody small and unathletic which doesn't exist in the NBA.  Thus I'm not 100% sold on him except that he is only 19(?) thus has time to improve.

But his passing skill are amazing.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:14 AM, The J Crew said:

Of course there was going to be roster churn, doesn't mean this trade makes any sense.

Is Steven Adams any more a part of the future plan than Jonas was? Of course not, and now we owe him $18M in '22-'23. 

Exactly. So why the urgency to get rid of JV? To move up 7 spots in the first round draft? If the FO doesn't draft an absolute gem at the 10, then this deal was a big fail.

Why I (as a JV fan) can live with the trade.

Because the alternative is a bit too extreme for a game that adults play. 

23 hours ago, GameOn said:

Exactly. So why the urgency to get rid of JV? To move up 7 spots in the first round draft? If the FO doesn't draft an absolute gem at the 10, then this deal was a big fail.

Our FO are making every call to do everything they can to move up.  Giddy who is slotted at 10, doesn't offer much upside in his game..at 6'8 he is another BC.  Can he back up Kyle or Dillon?  Is that our priority to the point that we moved JV?  My sense the response to doing everything to move up, there is not much in the cupboard to offer without Grizz getting fleeced.

I like Bouknight a lot, he could be a steal at 6, or Trey Murphy.  But he might have been available at 17.  If they can package 10 with some additional picks from '22, and move up to around 4, 5, 6..then the JV trade makes sense.  Otherwise what was the point.

18 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

Our FO are making every call to do everything they can to move up.  Giddy who is slotted at 10, doesn't offer much upside in his game..at 6'8 he is another BC.  Can he back up Kyle or Dillon?  Is that our priority to the point that we moved JV?  My sense the response to doing everything to move up, there is not much in the cupboard to offer without Grizz getting fleeced.

I like Bouknight a lot, he could be a steal at 6, or Trey Murphy.  But he might have been available at 17.  If they can package 10 with some additional picks from '22, and move up to around 4, 5, 6..then the JV trade makes sense.  Otherwise what was the point.

My feelings exactly. 

But trading to 4 or 5 is too optimistic, imo. And does OKC want even more future picks to drop from 6? Sam Presti is burning the phone lines trying to move up, and nobody wants his picks. 

I really think Golden State at 7 is the target for a trade. We have recent history, did the Iggy trade with them. Could give them a low cost player, which they need for their depth, and maybe even their pick back. 

6 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

My feelings exactly. 

But trading to 4 or 5 is too optimistic, imo. And does OKC want even more future picks to drop from 6? Sam Presti is burning the phone lines trying to move up, and nobody wants his picks. 

I really think Golden State at 7 is the target for a trade. We have recent history, did the Iggy trade with them. Could give them a lost cost player, which they need for their depth, and maybe even their pick back. 

👍