ALT GRIND

The Official 40th Pick thread

5 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

EJ Onu at 40?  Or is that too high for a guy not coming from D-1 ball?

Too high.  JT Thor or Wieskamp or Kessler more in that range. 

On 7/27/2021 at 11:02 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Too high.  JT Thor or Wieskamp or Kessler more in that range. 

I have Kessler Edwards and EJ Onu at 41 and 42 on my board with Thor and Wieskamp going a lot higher.  

Jericho Sims, Vrenz Bleijenbergh, and Quentin Grimes are my “40th pick wishlist names” as well as Quentin Grimes.  Although those guys are in my lotto and seem to all be moving up a bit.  And, Wieskamp had some solid buzz coming out of the combine.  

Amar Sylla might be an interesting draft/stash option.  

Wouldn't it be funny if the trade doesn't get done and this thread is unneeded?

9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Wouldn't it be funny if the trade doesn't get done and this thread is unneeded?

No, why did you go there😩, I could see this pick moving up a bit too, interesting day ahead.

I am gonna assume Christopher, Grimes, Thor and Ayo are all gone by 40. 

I can see Herb Jones being a good fit if we stay at 40th - especially if we pick up Giddey.   He is a Grizz pick for sure as another upperclassman swiss army knife that can defend 1-4 and offers some passing and high BBIQ.    He has legit SF size at 6'7' wit 7ft wingspan and explosive athlete. 

If we move on from Melton and pick up Giddey.   We will need another plus defender with size.  

23 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If we move on from Melton and pick up Giddey.   We will need another plus defender with size.  

I think Giddey would be good for Melton, would allow Melton to guard the opposing pg without having to run the offense when we have the ball. I think having a point forward or big guard who can run the offense actually makes it easier to keep Melton.

3 minutes ago, dy_dy_dynomite said:

I brought that up to a few friends. Use Jones and 40 to get back in the late first

Knicks seem like most likely partner.  They need a PG.  Id offer them Tyus and/or Bledsoe for 19 or 21 pick swap.   

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Knicks seem like most likely partner.  They need a PG.  Id offer them Tyus and/or Bledsoe for 19 or 21 pick swap.   

Ummm . . . we'd have to throw in a 1st to get off the Bledsoe contract.

Just now, dy_dy_dynomite said:

Nah some team will like the option on his team next year 

And some team believes in the Easter bunny too.

1 minute ago, KyleB said:

I think Giddey would be good for Melton, would allow Melton to guard the opposing pg without having to run the offense when we have the ball. I think having a point forward or big guard who can run the offense actually makes it easier to keep Melton.

i agree with you but i can't see both Grayson or Melton being on opening night roster.     I can see us coming away with 2 wings this draft.  Gonna need roster spot to develop the lottery pick.   Grayson was the favored son of Taylor so he has a huge advantage.  

4 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Ummm . . . we'd have to throw in a 1st to get off the Bledsoe contract.

There is no way to know that.  Bledsoe and Adams were solid players the year before they were in NOP.  you dont get those kinda contracts if you are trash.   Just because bledsoe failed in playoffs doesn't make him a bad player.     NOP was a dumpster fire. 

Bledsoe is also a Thibs type of player and we know Tyus already played for Thibs.  They have tons of capspace and #19, #21 and #32 with NO Pgs on their roster.  .    I would be on the phone with them to move up from 40. 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

There is no way to know that.  Bledsoe and Adams were solid players the year before they were in NOP.  you dont get those kinda contracts if you are trash.   Just because bledsoe failed in playoffs doesn't make him a bad player.     NOP was a dumpster fire. 

Bledsoe is toast. The whole league knows we are probably going to buy him out. Nobody is taking on that contract willingly. 

I feel like we are having the Winslow discussion all over again. 

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

Bledsoe is toast. The whole league knows we are probably going to buy him out. Nobody is taking on that contract willingly. 

I feel like we are having the Winslow discussion all over again. 

Bledsoe is freaking 31yrs old.. what are you talking about?  There teams are tripping over themselves to sign much older Lowry Paul and Conley.    Just because YOU don't think he is valuable doesn't matter.    his contract is moveable because of the small 2nd year guarantee.  There have been no leaks from FO saying anything about buying him out - they plan on trading him. 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Bledsoe is freaking 31yrs old.. what are you talking about?  There teams are tripping over themselves to sign much older Lowry Paul and Conley.    Just because YOU don't think he is valuable doesn't matter.    his contract is moveable because of the small 2nd year guarantee.  There have been no leaks from FO saying anything about buying him out - they plan on trading him. 

GTF, he's not an $18M player, not near. He's going to be in the vet minimum range from here on out, if he can even stay on a roster. He's been dumped twice now in less than a year. 

You act like this is me making the rules. It's obvious to anyone with their eyes open. Just like it was obvious for Justise. 

12 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

A lot of NBA players are washed by the age of 31, especially ones who lack true skill and got by on athleticism. Bledsoe was terrible down the stretch his last year in Milwaukee, which is why they wanted to upgrade him. Then he was terrible with New Orleans. Maybe he will bounce back. I doubt many teams are willing to take an $18+ million gamble that he will though...not without us taking back a bad contract or bribing them with a pick. As far as the Knicks, they have tons of cap space but want to be a player in the free agent market. I find it hard to imagine that they would take up some of that cap space for Bledsoe prior to free agency playing out. Maybe if they don't get guys they want in free agency, they will take him on the back end because of the light guarantee next season.

10 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

GTF, he's not an $18M player, not near. He's going to be in the vet minimum range from here on out, if he can even stay on a roster. He's been dumped twice now in less than a year. 

You act like this is me making the rules. It's obvious to anyone with their eyes open. Just like it was obvious for Justise. 

agree to disagree

back to the picks

45 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

i think we use Tyus and move up from 40.   

From the above lists of course Grimes and Springer make the most sense.   I am getting the feeling that Josh Christopher may no longer be in play. 

6 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

A lot of NBA players are washed by the age of 31, especially ones who lack true skill and got by on athleticism. Bledsoe was terrible down the stretch his last year in Milwaukee, which is why they wanted to upgrade him. Then he was terrible with New Orleans. Maybe he will bounce back. I doubt many teams are willing to take an $18+ million gamble that he will though...not without us taking back a bad contract or bribing them with a pick. As far as the Knicks, they have tons of cap space but want to be a player in the free agent market. I find it hard to imagine that they would take up some of that cap space for Bledsoe prior to free agency playing out. Maybe if they don't get guys they want in free agency, they will take him on the back end because of the light guarantee next season.

Griffin was washed too but magically got better once he got to a contending team.   All i am saying is don't rule out them trading Bledsoe.  Iggy was way more washed but we flipped him.    I think Tyus is more likely but Knicks literally have 6 guys on their roster under contract and Thibs doesn't traditionally like rookies.    Bledsoe is less risky in their situation. 

9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

agree to disagree

Yep, let's table the Bledsoe discussion for about 10 days. Then he'll be gone into the ether, like Gorgui and Justise before him. And I'll try not to say I told you so. 

14 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Griffin was washed too but magically got better once he got to a contending team.   All i am saying is don't rule out them trading Bledsoe.  Iggy was way more washed but we flipped him.    I think Tyus is more likely but Knicks literally have 6 guys on their roster under contract and Thibs doesn't traditionally like rookies.    Bledsoe is less risky in their situation. 

Griffin got better; he didn't become good. He was also cheap. No one was trading for him before he got cut. It's one thing to take a chance on a minimum contract, another for $18 million. And I think you are spot on with the Iggy analogy....Golden State had to give us a pick to take him and we had to take on bad contracts to make that deal work with Miami.