Ole Dirty Klondike

Team USA and Olympics Basketball

13 hours ago, Dwash said:

Everything was changed to put more points on the board. They have done this in all three major sports, they could care less about the quality of the product. 

Exactly. The NBA is a capitalistic money making venture that is basically in cahoots with different AAU programs and the NCAA to generate as much revenue as possible. Players are identified as early as AAU and labeled future stars, that follows them to college and then they get drafted in the first round and if they have dominant skills they become stars and get preferential treatment for the refs. Combine that with rules in favor of as much offense as possible and de-emphasizing defense. These guys heads are the size of Pluto.

Ergo, when they go and play in an international tournament where no one cares how much of a star they are in the NBA and the refs aren't helping them out with bogus calls and they play team ball with movement and disruptive defense, these player are confused. It's like they thought everyone would just lay down and give them the gold medal. You don't have to be bigger, stronger, faster, and can jump higher if you know how to execute and share the ball.  

I think the selection committee is at fault for these losses.    Gone are the days when you can just bring all the popular players and allstars and expect to walk away with the gold.    We need guys that actually fit together and can play FIBA style.     The other teams have been playing that style all year long AND are peppered with actual NBA players on their rosters.   Are advantages are gone. 

55 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Exactly. The NBA is a capitalistic money making venture that is basically in cahoots with different AAU programs and the NCAA to generate as much revenue as possible. Players are identified as early as AAU and labeled future stars, that follows them to college and then they get drafted in the first round and if they have dominant skills they become stars and get preferential treatment for the refs. Combine that with rules in favor of as much offense as possible and de-emphasizing defense. These guys heads are the size of Pluto.

Ergo, when they go and play in an international tournament where no one cares how much of a star they are in the NBA and the refs aren't helping them out with bogus calls and they play team ball with movement and disruptive defense, these player are confused. It's like they thought everyone would just lay down and give them the gold medal. You don't have to be bigger, stronger, faster, and can jump higher if you know how to execute and share the ball.  

26 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I think the selection committee is at fault for these losses.    Gone are the days when you can just bring all the popular players and allstars and expect to walk away with the gold.    We need guys that actually fit together and can play FIBA style.     The other teams have been playing that style all year long AND are peppered with actual NBA players on their rosters.   Are advantages are gone. 

I think both of these posts are spot on. The NBA is encouraging a different style ("brand"?) of basketball. I remember just a few short years ago watching the Spurs/Heat series how the ball moved versus this past year when Giannis basically man-handled everyone. Now this isn't a soapbox about Giannis or the current style of the NBA, but I do agree that our current NBA contrasts quite a bit from FIBA international competition.

However, the current team make up leaves a lot to be desired and some of the initial choices were kind of head scratchers. Like why was Kevin Love even on the initial roster after his horrible season in 20-21? Was Javale McGee really the best big man we could get as a replacement? I am of the belief that we should be kicking the tires on at least a few lower level rotation players to be constants on the roster and also require some kind of mandatory attendance prior to any international competition. I get that maybe this past year has made the last thing challenging due to COVID, but there should still be a system in place at least.

When you have Lillard, Lavine and Durant all out there at the same time this is what you get. We will win some games just based off of fire power, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us come up short of the gold. 

4 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Luka on the warpath

Luka is out there FEASTING ! We have multiple All-Stars ... losing.

Foreign countries have few if any stars and we see stuff like this.

With Luka eating good, what excuse do we have other than 'we don't understand the basic rules / gameplay of international competition' ?

Remember all of the Luka was not athletic enough (more rEaSoNs here) to make it in the NBA?

On behalf of Luka and other Global Stars to our USA challengers -> SHUT ALL THE WAY UP and BALL. 

Skill and talent need drive and dedication.

37 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Luka is out there FEASTING ! We have multiple All-Stars ... losing.

Foreign countries have few if any stars and we see stuff like this.

With Luka eating good, what excuse do we have other than 'we don't understand the basic rules / gameplay of international competition' ?

Remember all of the Luka was not athletic enough (more rEaSoNs here) to make it in the NBA?

On behalf of Luka and other Global Stars to our USA challengers -> SHUT ALL THE WAY UP and BALL. 

Skill and talent need drive and dedication.

Team makeup/chemistry. I don't know much about the Slovenian team, but I'd go out on a limb and say that they have much more defined roles than our hodgepodge of random all-stars.

Three of the guys are probably still jetlagged too (Booker, Middleton, Holiday). Honestly, I'd rather watch the NCAA men's basketball champion compete at the Olympics on behalf of the US. As is, it doesn't really feel very special when we win Gold and it sure as hell feels like a complete disaster when we lose games.

12 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Olympic team game starts around 11:40 tonight. Guessing there won’t be a lot of viewership. 

Is it against Iran? Haddadi?

7 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Am I wrong to root for an upset?

Love it or leave it bud these colors don’t run 🇲🇾

37 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Olympic team game starts around 11:40 tonight. Guessing there won’t be a lot of viewership. 

What channel?

42 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

Love it or leave it bud these colors don’t run 🇲🇾

Indeed! Nothing but love for Malaysia!

Australia beat Italy 86-83

Baynes, Ingles, Mills big games, Thybulle very good on D but a bit reluctant to shoot.

Nick Mannion big for Italy, Gallinari non-existent

53 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Australia beat Italy 86-83

Baynes, Ingles, Mills big games, Thybulle very good on D but a bit reluctant to shoot.

Nick Mannion big for Italy, Gallinari non-existent

giphy.gif

On 7/26/2021 at 11:55 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

I agree but for a slightly different reason. Anyone who thought Kevin Love, Jeremy Grant, Bam Adebayo, Keldon Johnson, Zach Levine or Javale McGee should be on a winning team needs to have their heads examined. Where are Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, Steph Curry, Jaylen Brown, Michael Porter Jr, LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Paull George, etc?

You bring a second rate team to the Olympics you get second rate results. 

17 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I agree but for a slightly different reason. Anyone who though Kevin Love, Jeremy Grant, Bam Adebayo, Keldon Johnson, Zach Levine or Javale McGee should be on a winning team needs to have their heads examined. Where are Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, Steph Curry, Jaylen Brown, Michael Porter Jr, LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Paull George, etc?

Didn’t most of those guys decline invites? Also, many of those dudes had nagging injuries if I recall.

Though I agree that MPJ should have been invited, and maybe Morant too. 

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I agree but for a slightly different reason. Anyone who though Kevin Love, Jeremy Grant, Bam Adebayo, Keldon Johnson, Zach Levine or Javale McGee should be on a winning team needs to have their heads examined. Where are Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, Steph Curry, Jaylen Brown, Michael Porter Jr, LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Paull George, etc?

Even with not inviting those guys, or those guys turning down invites, if you line up a team that has Kevin Durant, Dame Lillard, Jayson Tatum, Khris Middleton, Zach LaVine, Draymond, Devin Booker and Bam against any roster in the Olympics, a Euro League or the NBA, that USA team should win.  Even with the other guys on the team like JaVale McGee, at least he can make an NBA team.  The overwhelming majority of the rostered guys in the Olympics couldn't.

I am amazed that the other NBA players from the non-US team can adjust to the way the game is called, but what is more amazing is how important playing with pride and passion makes a difference.

I saw the USA v Czech game - 119-84

The USA looked better but still didn't start the game well.

Durant looked much better, he took charge of the game (as he should) instead of being differential, and Tatum was big in the 2nd half.

They were settling for a lot of 3s, over 50% of total shot attempts were from 3, but this game hit 47% of them - that was pretty much the difference.

Their inside D still looks a bit porous though

On 7/29/2021 at 1:14 AM, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Another solid game from Fournier last night.  Wonder if he may be a good player for us .

Stalled talks with the Celtics wants 4 years 80 mil