bhoyal

How important is a quick start next season?

As opposed to a 2-6 start this time followed by surprising wins over Brooklyn, Phoenix, Philly to get thing back on track.  Something makes me think it's time to come out of the gate playing with post-season type intensity.   Right out of the gate.  From the jump.  The word go. The launch.  The onset.

Am I wrong here?  This is just based on a hunch.  A gut feeling.

3 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

As opposed to a 2-6 start this time followed by surprising wins over Brooklyn, Phoenix, Philly to get thing back on track.  Something makes me think it's time to come out of the gate playing with post-season type intensity.   Right out of the gate.  From the jump.  The word go. The launch.  The onset.

Am I wrong here?  This is just based on a hunch.  A gut feeling.

Our "floor" might be around 6-10 range again next season.  I agree that if we wanna aim a bit higher (4 or 5 seed?) then we need to hit the ground RUNNING.  Except for Ja who needs to hit the ground FLYING.

We need to lock in a top 6 seed ASAP.   Those two play-in games took a TON out of us.

I also wanna see more "future is NOW" lineups.  Ja/Bane/Dillon/Jaren as the main four guys with BC getting a look as the starting 4 (as well as X Tillman). 

Love JV and Kyle.  They were two of the four dudes who basically dragged us into the play-in/playoffs.  BUT they look more like high end bench pieces going forward (or spot starters).  However, I probably don't trade either guy for anything less than Beal or KAT, or, wait for it, Damian AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Lillard.

If you're going to build a team, that would mean adding on to the ones who have proven to be players and getting rid of the dead weight only. (Winslow)  It just doesn't seem logical to ditch the players you are building around.

29 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

I don’t know honestly. It might be better to get some early losses to get those out of the way

Agreed.

There is no way to live on the edge throughout the entire nba season…

Some early losses / growing pains are to be expected.

I just want to see real growth. Im ok with incremental progress.

It really depends on what the early season schedule is of course, but if there is very little roster turnover the start should be very good.

In watching this season and playoffs, health is a huge factor, so I could see a lot of limited minutes and experimental rotations, especially if they are trying to infuse a new acquisition (draft pick/new player/ Winslow) into the rotation.

Unless a consolidation deal is done (which is really, really hard to do) this team is going to still have a bunch of good, but not great, players vying for minutes, and that tends to take time to get sorted out, so maybe not so great.

I started this post an optimist, but by the end I became a pessimist.

IDK, does it really matter? Is there any evidence that teams that start off fast finish better than those that start off slow? I mean, it may give the fans more hope initially but more than likely, it will be an up and down roller coaster season no matter how you start unless you are really really good or really really bad.

Most good teams in the middle will have several games of good stretches and a few games of bad stretches. Not sure if it matters if that bad stretch is at the beginning of the season or not, you definitely don't want it at the end.

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

IDK, does it really matter? Is there any evidence that teams that start off fast finish better than those that start off slow? I mean, it may give the fans more hope initially but more than likely, it will be an up and down roller coaster season no matter how you start unless you are really really good or really really bad.

Most good teams in the middle will have several games of good stretches and a few games of bad stretches. Not sure if it matters if that bad stretch is at the beginning of the season or not, you definitely don't want it at the end.

It means  something, but it doesn't guarantee future success. I think it is like a lot of things, including pre-season and summer league: Success doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot, but if things look disorganized or if players look like they have regressed...uh-oh.

Fast starts and winning streaks often are more attributable to level of competition and general team health, IMO.

4 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

It means  something, but it doesn't guarantee future success. I think it is like a lot of things, including pre-season and summer league: Success doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot, but if things look disorganized or if players look like they have regressed...uh-oh.

Fast starts and winning streaks often are more attributable to level of competition and general team health, IMO.

And this was the next point that I was about to make. Obviously, if we have a weak schedule and start off fast, no one is concerned. If we start off slow with a weak schedule, everybody's screaming and wants everyone traded before the season really even starts.

It's not something that I would even think about tbh. We need to know what the schedule is and who will be on the team first imo. Even then, there are ups and downs in any season and I'd much rather start slow than finish slow.

Maybe I'm taking crazy pills again here,  but what is good about losing games early in the season?  Doesn't an early loss still count as one loss per, just as one late in the season?  A loss in the first week of the season could keep a team out of the playoffs or screwup their seeding as much as one the last day of the regular season unless there's a new math I haven't learned yet.

1 minute ago, bhoyal said:

Maybe I'm taking crazy pills again here,  but what is good about losing games early in the season?  Doesn't an early loss still count as one loss per, just as one late in the season?  A loss in the first week of the season could keep a team out of the playoffs or screwup their seeding as much as one the last day of the regular season unless there's a new math I haven't learned yet.

I think the key is to lock up a top 6 seed ASAP.  Avoid the play-in games.  Maybe rest guys towards the end of the season more.  

I agree.

It's also easier to "load manage" guys if we can get off to a hot start (and maintain it).

3 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I think the key is to lock up a top 6 seed ASAP.  Avoid the play-in games.  Maybe rest guys towards the end of the season more.  

I agree.

It's also easier to "load manage" guys if we can get off to a hot start (and maintain it).

Thank you for explaining it better than my somewhat sarcastic way. 😎

50372865.jpg

24 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Why lose at all? Let's go 82-0 next season!!!

Who said anything about it's good to lose games early. I just said I would prefer them to do that as opposed to later in the season cause you know, if you lose early, you can bounce back and fans tend to forget about those early games. It's filed under what have you done for me lately. Fans have short memories so if you end the season on an upswing, fans will probably have more hope going into the playoffs (if we make the playoffs).

I mean, saying losing is a good thing is like saying if the Grizz get off to a fast start, they'll go 82-0. Capisce?

1 minute ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Who said anything about it's good to lose games early. I just said I would prefer them to do that as opposed to later in the season cause you know, if you lose early, you can bounce back and fans tend to forget about those early games. It's filed under what have you done for me lately. Fans have short memories so if you end the season on an upswing, fans will probably have more hopesgoing into the playoffs (if we make the playoffs).

I mean, saying losing is a good thing is like saying if the Grizz get off to a fast start, they'll go 82-0. Capisce?

Stop pi55ing on my strawman.  It was just getting fun!  😝

I just want to come out swinging with our mini revamp roster with whatever we do this summer 

On 6/9/2021 at 8:35 AM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Who said anything about it's good to lose games early. I just said I would prefer them to do that as opposed to later in the season cause you know, if you lose early, you can bounce back and fans tend to forget about those early games. It's filed under what have you done for me lately. Fans have short memories so if you end the season on an upswing, fans will probably have more hope going into the playoffs (if we make the playoffs).

Can't agree more. 82-0 is the target !! Okay we can give one or two games when we play Mike, that's it!

2 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Can't agree more. 82-0 is the target !! Okay we can give one or two games when we play Mike, that's it!

You're being soft. 82-0 or bust!!!