FrenchGrizzlies

GRIZZ SEASON PLAYER REVIEW

I tought it will be great to have a topic resuming the season with the good surprise and the less good one.....

For me :

***** JV , the double double machine. He score a lot, rebound as well, he is clearly in the top 3  big for that. The biggest issue has be debated already. Terrible match up against some other player, bad defense + PO issue where he clearly was not so efficient. He come 100% every night and probably shine when opponent are at 80%.only  Play off time is way different... But for his  regular season, hat to Mister JV !!

***** Dilon : the great surprise of the year. He still have somne crazy moment but he is a great defender, improve a lot on scoring. Wouldn't be surprise if he average 20PPG next year,  a true Grizz!!

**** Ja : Why not 5 star? because he shoot poorly a good part of the season and because he is bad in defense. But he is a true future star. The way he come up when it matter just show he is the future of this team. If he gain a bit of consistency and improve a bit in defense, he will be fantastic.

*** Kyle : Yes he is slow, yes he don't score much but he do the job in defense and he is a smart player. Probably not a starter in a winning team but still a very valuable player.

*** Bane : Another good surprise, he can shoot well and bring some great energy on both side of the court. Still wonder why he did not play nuch in PO time, probably because his lack of experience. Definitly a keeper.

*** JJJ : He miss almost the entire season and when he come back , show good ( improving at rebound)  and bad things ( fouls, % of shooting). But he is young and deserve another year to see what he can do. But let see him play one full season before pay. 

** Tilman : A decent player. But not good enough for a big back up on my opinion.

** Tyus Jones : yes he do the job, pass the ball quite well, do not TO too much but can we have a back up guard who can't score? Foe me we need an upgrade on this position too.

** Tillie : seems to ba ble to shoot and defend. But he did not play enough to give garantee. I would keep him for one more year and see.

** Allen : i know he is the favorite of the coach but he is at the best a 8-10 players in any NBA team. Not for the Grizz as he remain starter or 6th player which sound strange to me.

** Clarke : He seems to regress a lot this year. Can't shoot and did not make any impact as he do his first year. But he is young and deserve to have another chance, if he can work and get a decent shoot. he could be a good back up for JV.

** Konchar : same opinion as Tillie, seems to  be able to shoot and defend. Should deserve more min to see his real potential, but he got one for sure.

* Melton : Disapointment for me. Definitly not a keeper.

* Winslow : he is overpaid, can;t shoot and is unjury prone....All the best for him, outside of Grizz team.

** and half : Jenkins : probably a good professor to help kids to improve. A NBA Winner level coach? he will have to improve a lot to become that' Too many games with strange rotation, seems sleepy for challenging and struggle to find solution when we have hard time. But he is a young coach and we should give him at least one more year to improve.

A great season ending. Our team was fun to watch and it will be a long time before new season !!!

I think you were a little hard on Melton, but I can see where you are coming from. My biggest issue with him is that he does not seem to be able to perform when the stakes are high.

Melton is a good player.  I think his biggest issue is that he never has a consistent role.  When he does bad he gets yanked when he does good he doesn't get rewarded.   No player will consistently perform at a high level every game - that's unrealistic expectation.    However, CTJ usage of him is a big component in Melton's lack of consistency.   Dude is still young. 

The thing CTJ has to realize is that even if Melton misses shots his defense and activity make up for the offense.   He is almost always a net positive when he plays. 

For me Melton is too undersized for me to be overly invested in him so i am fine if they move on.    I truly think Konchar can be developed into a similar impact player but with better size.  

I agree about Winslow. I hope Tillie gets more run this coming season. I think we have something special in him. 

On 6/7/2021 at 6:03 AM, King Dork said:

I stopped reading the list when Dillon got 5 stars and Ja got 4. 

Dillon may have peaked, Ja certainly hasn't. 

Rated against ability and potential, the 5 and 4 are fair. 

Chris Herrington ranks  

1. Ja
  2. Jaren
  3. Dillon
  4. Bane
  5. Jonas
  6. Kyle
  7. Melton
  8. Brandon
  9. Tillman
  10. Grayson
  11. Justise
  12. Konchar
  13. Tyus
  14. Tillie
  15. McDermott
  16. Porter

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sportsmemphis-grizzlies/article/22388/herrington-grizzlies-offseason-roster-rankings-part-2

4. Desmond Bane

Age and contract status next season: 23, $2 million in the second year of four-year rookie contract. 

Right, Bane is not as good as Anderson or Valanciunas, and probably will never be as good as Valanciunas. But the scoring guard is probably more likely than either to be a Grizzlies starter four years from now. 

At 43% from 3-point range, Bane led all rookie qualifiers. Only a little 3-for-12 dive in his final three regular-season games kept Bane from setting a rookie record for 3-point percentage among those with at least 200 attempts. He bounced back to shoot 6-for-12 from 3 in the Jazz series. 

But that’s too few attempts. In five games? Greater deployment of Bane’s liquid shooting stroke should be a priority next season.

Bane is not one-dimensional, though. In addition to shooting a better percentage outside the arc in his rookie season than positional competitors Melton or Allen, he also shot better on 2-point attempts. Bane showed increasing confidence on drives as the season progressed. He seemed to be a decent passer if not much of a playmaker. And his tremendous strength helped mitigate his lack of length defensively.

On the whole, the Grizzlies played very well last season with Bane as a starter alongside the team’s temporary Core Four of Ja Morant, Dillon Brooks, Anderson and Valanciunas. Of the team’s 20 most-used player duos last season, the most effective was Bane and Brooks, at plus-7.5 points per 100 possessions. The Grizzlies will have many options to sort through, but that should be a candidate for the starting wing combination this fall. 

To have a shooter of this quality at this age and on this contract (he’ll still be making less than $4 million in his fourth season) is highly valuable. If things go well, Bane could move swiftly up the pecking order in his second season. 

Do ya'll think we should just go ahead and fully develop Bane into the starting SG?   He is a definite floor space and is not a defensive liability.   As Herrington pointed out he isn't a one dimensional shooter.    Id much rather roll with Bane than trade for a Buddy Hield.   his shooting is absolutely elite and he fit well with starters.  Dude hasn't even had a training camp so tons of upside here. 

@FrenchGrizzlies What? No love for your fellow Frenchman in Killian Tillie?

Overall good rankings. I think Melton is probably better than he showed late in the season. We have way too many "guys" at that 2-3 slot. No one really stands out, maybe Dillon but everybody is just a guy. Hard for people like Melton to get a fair shot or consistent minutes when he is forcing Allen into the rotation. 

Clarke was definitely a disappointment but let's hope he's fully healthy next year. From my understanding, he was struggling with his glute injury all year long. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Chris Herrington ranks  

1. Ja
  2. Jaren
  3. Dillon
  4. Bane
  5. Jonas
  6. Kyle
  7. Melton
  8. Brandon
  9. Tillman
  10. Grayson
  11. Justise
  12. Konchar
  13. Tyus
  14. Tillie
  15. McDermott
  16. Porter

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sportsmemphis-grizzlies/article/22388/herrington-grizzlies-offseason-roster-rankings-part-2

4. Desmond Bane

Age and contract status next season: 23, $2 million in the second year of four-year rookie contract. 

Right, Bane is not as good as Anderson or Valanciunas, and probably will never be as good as Valanciunas. But the scoring guard is probably more likely than either to be a Grizzlies starter four years from now. 

At 43% from 3-point range, Bane led all rookie qualifiers. Only a little 3-for-12 dive in his final three regular-season games kept Bane from setting a rookie record for 3-point percentage among those with at least 200 attempts. He bounced back to shoot 6-for-12 from 3 in the Jazz series. 

But that’s too few attempts. In five games? Greater deployment of Bane’s liquid shooting stroke should be a priority next season.

Bane is not one-dimensional, though. In addition to shooting a better percentage outside the arc in his rookie season than positional competitors Melton or Allen, he also shot better on 2-point attempts. Bane showed increasing confidence on drives as the season progressed. He seemed to be a decent passer if not much of a playmaker. And his tremendous strength helped mitigate his lack of length defensively.

On the whole, the Grizzlies played very well last season with Bane as a starter alongside the team’s temporary Core Four of Ja Morant, Dillon Brooks, Anderson and Valanciunas. Of the team’s 20 most-used player duos last season, the most effective was Bane and Brooks, at plus-7.5 points per 100 possessions. The Grizzlies will have many options to sort through, but that should be a candidate for the starting wing combination this fall. 

To have a shooter of this quality at this age and on this contract (he’ll still be making less than $4 million in his fourth season) is highly valuable. If things go well, Bane could move swiftly up the pecking order in his second season. 

Do ya'll think we should just go ahead and fully develop Bane into the starting SG?   He is a definite floor space and is not a defensive liability.   As Herrington pointed out he isn't a one dimensional shooter.    Id much rather roll with Bane than trade for a Buddy Hield.   his shooting is absolutely elite and he fit well with starters.  Dude hasn't even had a training camp so tons of upside here. 

Assuming Brooks is at the 3; between Allen, Melton, and Bane I'd prefer Bane as the starter. I think he and Allen are about even but I just don't like Allen. With some guys who play like like Allen you hate them if they play for the other team but love them if they play for your team, but I just don't feel it with Allen, I still don't like him.

1 minute ago, KyleB said:

Assuming Brooks is at the 3; between Allen, Melton, and Bane I'd prefer Bane as the starter. I think he and Allen are about even but I just don't like Allen. With some guys who play like like Allen you hate them if they play for the other team but love them if they play for your team, but I just don't feel it with Allen, I still don't like him.

lol.  I think Bane should be the starter because he has shown potential to be more than just a shooter.  Grayson is more limited defensively than he is and older.  Grayson is fine as a shooter in your rotation but  Taylor's insistence that he should be starter was problematic.  

1 hour ago, KyleB said:

Finally some honesty on this board 😂

Ah, Melton. Our best or second best defender by essentially metric, a 40% 3 point shooter on very good volume, almost as good of a playmaker as Kyle (assist %, assist per 36), and still only 22? He's certainly a disappointment. 

I know he wasn't great to end the season per se, but he was pretty great all year long, injured stretch aside. It would behoove him or Kyle to become the backup point guard that way their minutes don't get squeezed when we have a full roster. Being able to run a lineup of Melton, Grayson, Bane, Kyle, and JV (or Jaren) as a bench unit would be legit. A lot of shooting for JV to do work inside. 

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

Ah, Melton. Our best or second best defender by essentially metric, a 40% 3 point shooter on very good volume, almost as good of a playmaker as Kyle (assist %, assist per 36), and still only 22? He's certainly a disappointment. 

I know he wasn't great to end the season per se, but he was pretty great all year long, injured stretch aside. It would behoove him or Kyle to become the backup point guard that way their minutes don't get squeezed when we have a full roster. Being able to run a lineup of Melton, Grayson, Bane, Kyle, and JV (or Jaren) as a bench unit would be legit. A lot of shooting for JV to do work inside. 

We have too many "guys" at that 2/3 slot. We need to get rid of a couple of those "guys", Justise should defintely be gone to free up some pt at the 3 but I think Grayson is a guy that we can move on from as well and focus on Melton and Bane off of the bench and remove the clutter.  

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

We have too many "guys" at that 2/3 slot. We need to get rid of a couple of those "guys", Justise should defintely be gone to free up some pt at the 3 but I think Grayson is a guy that we can move on from as well and focus on Melton and Bane off of the bench and remove the clutter.  

Agree wholeheartedly with this. And we've likely got a Moneyball/Billy Beane situation with Grayson - the only way to get Taylor not to start him is to trade him. 

Also Konch is on a great contract, and needs to get more playing time next season. 

5 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

that would be a great bench lineup, but melton still doesn't know how to dribble and not turn the ball over.  his size would make him perfect for PG, but the skills are just not there.  and he was absolutely horrible over our last 25-30 total games outside of 3-4 good games.  he should focus on ball handling/protection this offseason while still trying to refine his shooting.

and i love bane, but unless he starts shooting contested 3's, 3's off the dribble, 3's off of movement/off balance, etc, his value is lower to me as a floor spacer.  he can't or won't get his shot off unless he is wide or almost wide open.  he shoots a better overall percentage than grayson but not by so much that it matters.  grayson is a more effective shooter given that he can basically get a 3 off whenever he wants whether standstill, off the dribble/pullups, or more actions no matter how contested/under duress he is.  he's shot 40% from 3 over 2 seasons with the grizz and w/ his volume and range it makes it more effective than bane's 43%.  he was letting it fly even as a rookie with limited playing time, so bane has to learn that mindset.  if they're both on the team next season, they both need to be getting 7-8 attempts from 3 per game.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:21 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Chris Herrington ranks  

1. Ja
  2. Jaren
  3. Dillon
  4. Bane
  5. Jonas
  6. Kyle
  7. Melton
  8. Brandon
  9. Tillman
  10. Grayson
  11. Justise
  12. Konchar
  13. Tyus
  14. Tillie
  15. McDermott
  16. Porter

In case anyone was wondering, Herrington is ranking this as if an expansion draft were happening this off-season, and the team was only able to protect X number of players.  In the past it has been something like 8 players, but it depends on number of teams entering the league at a given time.

Personally, I would have Tyus at 10 ahead of Grayson.  Grayson is just too redundant with Bane and Melton already ahead of him.