Sign in to follow this  
BigHunkALove

The future of the Grizzlies - next step

Two good articles by Bobby Marks and Zach Lowe on what the Grizzlies have, what they need, and other important moves like Jaren, Winlsow etc

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31471964/offseason-moves-memphis-grizzlies-do-need-do-take-next-step

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31555245/lowe-why-ja-morant-memphis-grizzlies-primed-ascension

A lot of the questions being asked, we have been debating on these boards

4 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

An executive summary for those who don't have ESPN insider?

grizz have a great future but will need to make tough decisions on jaren's new deal and extending JV and kyle.  also suggested no rush to extend grayson this summer unless for MLE money, dillon is great but shouldn't be a #2 but is also on a value contract, melton is on a value contract, great job trading and making draft decisions (conley trade, drafting tillman and bane, etc), winslow deal looks bad but can recover from it, need to likely make a consolidation trade.

41 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

grizz have a great future but will need to make tough decisions on jaren's new deal and extending JV and kyle.  also suggested no rush to extend grayson this summer unless for MLE money, dillon is great but shouldn't be a #2 but is also on a value contract, melton is on a value contract, great job trading and making draft decisions (conley trade, drafting tillman and bane, etc), winslow deal looks bad but can recover from it, need to likely make a consolidation trade.

Dillon certainly looked capable of being a number 2 in the play-in and play-offs. Winslow just looked like number 2, but not in a pecking order sense.

6 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Surprised you can't see it. Try putting .au after .com in the same links and see if it works. If not, let me know if it's ok to copy and paste the text of the articles.

In a vaguely related point, didja see the team picture just up on Twitter?  JJJ, who has supposedly grown to 7'1", looks maybe an inch shorter than Jonas, who has been listed at 6'11" for a while.  Not that it makes a difference, or anyone's going to say that even 6'10" isn't enough for a big.

7 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Sometimes Redditt is guilty of allowing stuff like this for Zach Lowe's stuff. 

46 minutes ago, TimBC said:

In a vaguely related point, didja see the team picture just up on Twitter?  JJJ, who has supposedly grown to 7'1", looks maybe an inch shorter than Jonas, who has been listed at 6'11" for a while.  Not that it makes a difference, or anyone's going to say that even 6'10" isn't enough for a big.

I thought he actually looked taller than JV. I'll go back and check it out again

with the resigning our G.M to a long term contract thats telling me something SPECIAL will happen in memphis . its about Time . 

17 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Surprised you can't see it. Try putting .au after .com in the same links and see if it works. If not, let me know if it's ok to copy and paste the text of the articles.

Really top notch protection by ESPN. I'm honestly amazed.

19 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Did they say anything about the coaching? 

Hopefully that Taylor Jenkins is an excellent choice, despite the flaws of any coach and particularly a young one, to build with the team and that those advocating for him being out or to bring in a new coach drastically misunderstand the situation

21 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

I thought he actually looked taller than JV. I'll go back and check it out again

I agree, I think he's probably about an inch taller at the top of his head, though his hair kind of blends into the background. He's clearly still much skinnier which makes JV look bigger to an extent. 

11 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I agree, I think he's probably about an inch taller at the top of his head, though his hair kind of blends into the background. He's clearly still much skinnier which makes JV look bigger to an extent. 

Either a bit taller or the same height. Jaren is going to bulk up though and look like a freak of nature

Grizz post-season media availability didn't exactly clear up the Winslow situation.  Kleiman had a lot of FO-Speak on his answer and didn't really want to talk about it, even when Giannatto brought it up again and Kleiman understandably did not really answer what the plan is.  

Good reminder though from Kleiman that the rookies didn't have a normal off-season, including no summer league, shorter pre-season, much less practice time etc. While I don't expect Bane to play, I wouldn't be surprised if he or Tillman play.  I could certainly see the whole team going out there, even some vets.

Also talks about the detailed work that Tayshaun does, as well as each of the other guys in FO.

Mentioned BC definitely part of the future, but injuries played a role.

The questions for Jenkins primarily covered dealing with depth when so many guys want to play, and he was specifically asked about JJJ, Winslow, Melton and Allen going forward. It's on Grizz webpage if anyone wants to view.

18 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Grizz post-season media availability didn't exactly clear up the Winslow situation.  Kleiman had a lot of FO-Speak on his answer and didn't really want to talk about it, even when Giannatto brought it up again and Kleiman understandably did not really answer what the plan is.  

Good reminder though from Kleiman that the rookies didn't have a normal off-season, including no summer league, shorter pre-season, much less practice time etc. While I don't expect Bane to play, I wouldn't be surprised if he or Tillman play.  I could certainly see the whole team going out there, even some vets.

Also talks about the detailed work that Tayshaun does, as well as each of the other guys in FO.

Mentioned BC definitely part of the future, but injuries played a role.

Bane said he is playing in the SL.

Kleiman spoke highly of Melton and he was signed, not so much detail about Josh Jackson and he wasn't signed. I wonder if that is a potential indication of Winslow ?

Next step is the draft. Whatever they do that night should give a bit of an idea of who they wanna go after in FA/trades.

47 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Kleiman spoke highly of Melton and he was signed, not so much detail about Josh Jackson and he wasn't signed. I wonder if that is a potential indication of Winslow ?

I'm still in the camp that is they don't feel strongly about a potential upgrade deal (free agent or trade) by August 1, they will pick up his option. I don't think they rework/extend.

42 minutes ago, cdp said:

Next step is the draft. Whatever they do that night should give a bit of an idea of who they wanna go after in FA/trades.

Exactly, Draft will tell a lot.

11 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I'm still in the camp that is they don't feel strongly about a potential upgrade deal (free agent or trade) by August 1, they will pick up his option. I don't think they rework/extend.

I agree, do you think Powell would be a upgrade? 

The Grizzlies have a chance to be very good going forward.  No one had a career year - there's a lot of room for improvement both individually and as a team.

With the current make-up of the team, we're probably a few years away before making serious noise, but I can see us competing for the 5th or 6th seed in the West next year.

I would like to see us improve defensively.  We were exposed by Utah as being pretty bad defensively - especially in pick-and-roll and defending the 3-point line.  We need better rim protection from Jaren and JV so we can have our other guys be more aggressive on the perimeter and challenging the opposition's 3 point shooters more (without fouling).

Offensively, I'm not concerned.  We're going to get better as these young guys improve their skills.  Imagine Ja improving his 3-point enough to be a real threat (37% would be enough) ... teams are trying to defend him now by giving him the 3 point shot.  Getting Jaren back to 100% will help too.