bhoyal

OK, who we for the rest of the way now?

I would love to see Milwaukee shock the Nets.  Utah vs Milwaukee would certainly tank the TV ratings.

Don't expect the Bucks to get a fair shake from the refs the rest of the way.

Now that we are out I'm cheering for Mike to get a ring. 

I wonder if potential free agents or even our own young guys who might have wondering eyes would take notice that we did right by our two guys from our previous iteration at the end of their run by finding them destinations where they had legit shots at titles. I would love to see Mike get a ring and that narrative gain some traction.

My guidelines on remaining teams: 

No California teams.

No teams with Chris Paul, James Harden, Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Flake Griffin and might as well add Trae to that list

No tank/Process teams

Generally teams with the most former Grizzlies or Memphis kids.

My remaining order (West)r: Utah (MC1110), Denver (JaM Green, Barton), Dallas

My remaining order (East): Milwaukee (general distaste for rest of East)

76ers. One of my coworkers loves them so Ill cheer for them now. 

I think we’ll get a Utah vs Milwaukee finals, and I’ll love it!!  

Don’t think the Nets will win, because what kind of message would that send? You can completely ignore the regular season and show up only for the playoffs and win a championship? Doubt they’ll get the calls. Not to mention, Giannis is on the short list of dudes who has next along with Luka, I think he’ll get all the superstar calls. 

I think the Nets are going to win it all this year and I'm going to hate it. Has there ever been a team with 3 less likable stars than KD, Harden, and Irving? And then throw in Griffin as well? If they are in the finals I'll be rooting for a meteor to strike the venue.

I'd love to see Atlanta vs Utah but I believe we are doomed to watch Brooklyn vs Clippers (two largest markets in the country). 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I'd love to see Atlanta vs Utah but I believe we are doomed to watch Brooklyn vs Clippers (two largest markets in the country). 

At the very least I am guaranteed to see a team win the NBA championship who hasn't won since at least 1983 (when I was two) -- the last time Philly won it.  A few of these teams have NEVER won it.

If the Parity Era is here it seems pretty fun.  Parity WITH high level talents/superstars might be the best of BOTH worlds.

Nets/Clippers should have solid ratings, but Nets ain't the Knicks and the Clippers ain't the Lakers.  Wouldn't be shocked if the ratings are a mere fraction of an expected Lakers/East Coast Blue Blood (Celtics?) would be.  Might get better or just as good ratings with the Sixers.  Although maybe nothing reaches Peak Heatles ratings or Peak Warriors vs. LeBron ratings.  Durant and Kawhi are dueling for the last spot in Wing Mount Rushmore (with Jordan/LeBron/Kobe) but neither are MASSIVE TV ratings drivers (in my opinion).

Might be healthy for the league long-term if we get a small market Finals -- but with some really fun dudes like Trae Young or Nikola Jokic.  We could also see a big man battle in the NBA Finals -- some combination of Giannis/Embiid versus Jokic/Gobert.

Seems like a "New Era" in the NBA.  

On 6/3/2021 at 8:14 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

My guidelines on remaining teams: 

No California teams.

No teams with Chris Paul, James Harden, Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Flake Griffin and might as well add Trae to that list

No tank/Process teams

Generally teams with the most former Grizzlies or Memphis kids.

My remaining order (West)r: Utah (MC1110), Denver (JaM Green, Barton), Dallas

My remaining order (East): Milwaukee (general distaste for rest of East)

I am with you GV.

But i think the league NEEDS to have some big names in order to win more casual viewers.

3 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I am with you GV.

But i think the league NEEDS to have some big names in order to win more casual viewers.

The league could luck out (relatively speaking) with a Nets team led by one of the all-time great forwards in Kevin Durant potentially facing the Clippers' Kawhi Leonard who is ALSO as good as it gets.  If there were such a thing as Backup Mount Rushmore, both KD and Kawhi have strong resumes...

Don't count on ratings though -- it is already "vacation season" and we have only just started the second round.  NBA Finals will have to compete with vacations/pools/parties....

The NBA may have to punt on "casual fans" again and try to bring back some of those lapsed die-hards who watched more in the Magic/Bird/Jordan/Shaq/Kobe Mega Era.  That's a TON of fans.  ... and not necessarily casuals.  Or, they are hardcore basketball fans who switch between NBA and NCAA.  

Maybe those Lakers fans will be at the beach or in Las Vegas for the weekend when a Clippers/Nets NBA Finals rolls around.  Knicks fans might be at the Jersey Shore... or at a Yankees game.  

Under-rated ratings Finals could be Philly Sixers versus Utah.  I would think that Philly has had relatively strong TV ratings.  Then the Jazz has the entire state to itself.  Plus... you know Mormon Country.  

At some point the league is gonna have to move on from LeBron/Steph as well as maybe the Lakers and the Celtics (who have basically been mediocre since the mid 80's).  Now is as good a time as any to market Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, Gobert, Trae Young, and hype up a potential Kawhi/Durant Finals showdown.  

I wouldn't count on a big market Finals.  I also wouldn't count on Lakers and Knicks fans passing up a day at the beach or road trips to Las Vegas/Atlantic City or Yankees/Dodgers games to cheer for their arch rivals.

How big is "Jazz country" in terms of TV ratings?  Do they have a strong following/market penetration throughout the Mountain West?  Those classic Bulls/Jazz Finals had GOAT ratings, and yeah, they had MJ but so did a few other Finals that didn't draw as much in terms of viewership.

So... the Jazz could spike TV viewership.  More if Memphis die-hards watch the Finals to see Mike Conley.

Hawks ain't there yet -- just because Trae Young is a BUDDING superstar but maybe not yet one of THE guys.  I would assume a fun matchup like JA/TRAE would drive ratings (in a few years).

Nets/Sixers should be a solid conference finals for ratings/buzz/star building.  So... no bad options there.

Jazz or Suns or Nuggets might actually have more regional followers than Clippers which will have to compete with Dodger dogs/the beach/weekends in Las Vegas/jilted Lakers fans boycotting the NBA/Disneyland.

I admit it is blasphemy to say this but I want the Suns to win.

In spite of C Faul, I like this team especially Mikal Bridges (who I would LOVE to be the SF on this team, with Dillon moving to SG), He'd be a perfect fit, and I don't mind Booker and Ayton, and Jae is usually good value, Cam Payne is one to keep an eye on. They are are sneakily very good team.

I'm over the Jazz, and their style of play, plus the beatdown we copped the last game.

And I can't stand any of the remaining teams in the East, especially Brooklyn.

BTW, Mikal Bridges showed out tonight, game high score, 4-8 from 3, great D, a great weapon to have in your arsenal.

46 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

I admit it is blasphemy to say this but I want the Suns to win.

In spite of C Faul, I like this team especially Mikal Bridges (who I would LOVE to be the SF on this team, with Dillon moving to SG), He'd be a perfect fit, and I don't mind Booker and Ayton, and Jae is usually good value, Cam Payne is one to keep an eye on. They are are sneakily very good team.

I'm over the Jazz, and their style of play, plus the beatdown we copped the last game.

And I can't stand any of the remaining teams in the East, especially Brooklyn.

BTW, Mikal Bridges showed out tonight, game high score, 4-8 from 3, great D, a great weapon to have in your arsenal.

Mikal Bridges really would be a perfect fit here.  He and DB would be an ideal wing combo.  I have been thinking that we should basically throw a max offer at him in free agency, but I think they are gonna get a deal done way before next summer (2022).  That 2018 draft had some studs.  Not just top line guys but also great role player prototypes.

And... furthermore I think Jaren/Ayton would be a killer big man combo too.  

Ayton means business.  He just took it to Denver and played Jokic to a standstill.

Suns are gonna have to spend some money -- but that whole roster (or at least the top half fits so well together).

I am rooting for the Jazz only because of Mike Conley who is a great ambassador for the game and great human being. He did right by us in Memphis and it is only right for me to cheer him on now.

Outside of that - I would be cool with the Suns because we don't have to lose to flopping Chris Paul (and honestly the guy probably deserves a championship after all his terrible injury luck). 

Would never cheer for any of the remaining East team, but if I had to pick a squad to advance it would be the Nets. 

I also want to say that if ESPN/TNT did things a little differently in selecting national broadcast games, it may pay off for them down the road.  Yes, it makes sense to have Lakers, Warriors, Nets, etc on the maximum amount, but get the Jazz, Hawks, Grizzlies, Bucks and some of those teams on more so the TNT/ESPN viewer has a chance to become familiar with them and care about some of those players.  The Jazz, like the old Spurs teams, should have been on more since it was likely they were going to be in the semifinals.

Cheer? No one. I am a Grizzlies fan.

I would be less displeased if Utah or Denver won against Milwaukee in the finals but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. 

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Cheer? No one. I am a Grizzlies fan.

I would be less displeased if Utah or Denver won against Milwaukee in the finals but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. 

tenor.gif

4 minutes ago, King Dork said:

I hope Utah wins the championship. At least then we got eliminated by the eventual champion.  

Donovan Mitchell is a PROBLEM.

Rudy Gobert is an ideal defensive anchor.

It's just Royce O'Neale's year.