Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agent Big Board 2021

With the season over, here are list of free agents for discussion.  

Current Grizzlies free agents: Justise Winslow (Club Option), Tim Frazier, Killian Tillie (RFA), Sean McDermott (RFA)

Remaining free agents - please feel free to correct or update status (like various club or player options).  Not all guys listed.  I'm using the Spotrac.com player positions, which differ from other sites.

Guards: Chris Paul (PO), M Conley, Lowry, DeRozan, Oladipo, Goran Dragic (CO), Tim Hardaway Jr, Dennis Schroder, Evan Fourner, Danny Green, JJ Redick, Patty Mills, Tony Snell, Spencer Dinwiddie (PO), Dante Exum, Josh Richardson (PO), Norman Powell (PO), Lonzo Ball (RFA), Lou Williams, Derrick Rose, Ish Smith, Alec Burks, Avery Bradley (PO), Kris Dunn (PO), Garrett Temple, Elfrid Payton, Frank Ntilikina (RFA), Denzel Valentine, Dennis Smith Jr (RFA), Malik Monk (RFA), Wes Matthews, TJ McConnell, Ryan Arcidiacono (CO), Alex Caruso, Wayne Ellington, Bryn Forbes (PO), Reggie Jackson, E'Twaun Moore, Kent Bazemore , Austin Rivers, Brad Wanamaker, Matthew Dellavedova, Josh Hart (RFA), Edmond Sumner (CO), Langston Galloway, Tyler Johnson, Raul Neto, Sterling Brown, Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (RFA), Theo Pinson (RFA), David Nwaba, Devonte' Graham (RFA), Gary Trent Jr. (RFA ), Bruce Brown (RFA), Hamidou Diallo (RFA), Terence Davis (RFA), Talen Horton-Tucker (RFA),Javonte Green (RFA), Brandon Goodwin (RFA),Cameron Payne, Kendrick Nunn (RFA), Jeff Teague

Forwards:  Kawhi (PO), Otto Porter Jr. , Andre Iguodala (CO), Kelly Oubre Jr., James Johnson, Will Barton (PO), Kelly Olynyk, Trevor Ariza, Paul Millsap, Derrick Jones Jr.  (PO), Montrezl Harrell (PO), Cristiano Felicio, P.J. Tucker, JaMychal Green (PO), Doug McDermott, Nemanja Bjelica, Trey Lyles, Lauri Markkanen (RFA), Mike Scott, Kevon Looney (PO), Reggie Bullock, Nicolo Melli (RFA), Stanley Johnson, Bobby Portis (PO), Maurice Harkless , James Ennis III, Patrick Patterson, DJ Wilson (RFA), John Collins (RFA), Jared Dudley, Jeff Green, Carmelo Anthony, Nicolas Batum, Markieff Morris, Taj Gibson, Solomon Hill, JaKarr Sampson,Torrey Craig, Georges Niang, Wenyen Gabriel (CO), Thanasis Antetokounmpo (RFA), Semi Ojeleye, Isaac Bonga (RFA )Jarred Vanderbilt (RFA), Blake Griffin, Ersan Ilyasova, Juwan Morgan (RFA), Duncan Robinson (RFA), Deonte Burton, Ben McLemore, Khem Birch, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Centers: Cody Zeller, Serge Ibaka (PO), Robin Lopez, Daniel Theis, Nerlens Noel, Ed Davis, Enes Kanter, Richaun Holmes, Frank Kaminsky, JaVale McGee, Willie Cauley-Stein (CO), Zach Collins (RFA), Boban Marjanovic, Bismack Biyombo, Dwight Howard, Jarrett Allen (RFA), Hassan Whiteside, Luke Kornet, Tony Bradley, Willy Hernangomez, Alex Len, Isaiah Hartenstein (PO), Harry Giles, Mitchell Robinson (CO), Gorgui Dieng, Andre Drummond, Dewayne Dedmon, DeMarcus Cousins

Former Grizzlies, even if only by contract, are italicized, but I'm not sure I got them all.

Also worth pointing out that the Grizzlies currently have the #17 pick and #51 pick, so even if they decline the club option on Winslow and not bring back Frazier, any addition by FA means another player will be released. (Although feel free to correct if that is not right).

So the drawback on the many young players on cheap contracts is that each addition means removal of a young player like Jontay Porter (which is probably ok).

8 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Also worth pointing out that the Grizzlies currently have the #17 pick and #51 pick, so even if they decline the club option on Winslow and not bring back Frazier, any addition by FA means another player will be released. (Although feel free to correct if that is not right).

So the drawback on the many young players on cheap contracts is that each addition means removal of a young player like Jontay Porter (which is probably ok).

I believe that is right in theory, but they could always sign the 51st pick to a 2 way deal, which would be pretty common for a pick that late. McDermott would be the one likely out in that scenario, unless we plan on promoting Tillie. 

9 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I believe that is right in theory, but they could always sign the 51st pick to a 2 way deal, which would be pretty common for a pick that late. McDermott would be the one likely out in that scenario, unless we plan on promoting Tillie. 

Yes, that's what I think they would do.  I've heard that for some of those 2nd rounders, they will ask in advance if the player is willing to do a two-way before drafting them, but I don't know if that is true.

They could also deal/package the pick as well.

Alright, @Grizzled Vet - I went through your whole list and narrowed down to players that should at least be on our radar. Doesn't mean they'd be available to us or good value for the money they'll command, just players that could be intriguing or older stable vets and aren't totally unrealistic (for example...Kawhi isn't coming here):

Guards: Tim Hardaway Jr, Josh Richardson (PO), Norman Powell (PO), Austin Rivers, Gary Trent Jr. (RFA ), Hamidou Diallo (RFA), Talen Horton-Tucker (RFA)

Forwards:  Otto Porter Jr. , Will Barton, Kelly Olynyk, JaMychal Green (PO), Doug McDermott, Bobby Portis (PO), Jarred Vanderbilt (RFA)

Centers: Nerlens Noel, Ed Davis, JaVale McGee, Bismack Biyombo, Harry Giles

I'd probably take the closest look at Tim Hardaway Jr., Norman Powell, Gary Trent Jr., Hamidou Diallo, Will Barton and Bobby Portis. 

Our offseason checklist

1. Figure out Justise's contract. Most likely decline the player option, maybe bring him back on a 1 year, 3-4 million type deal (or two with an option of some sort).

2. Figure out who we are getting with the 17th pick. Do we go guard/ wing? Do we try to get another PF or Center to replace Clarke or Tillman. Another point guard to replace Tyus? We can truly take best pick available. 

3. Figure out what to do with Porter/Tillie/end of bench. Let them battle it out in training camp. I don't think we need both, as their skills seem to overlap a ton. I think Tillie looks better at this point. 

4. I would love to get a true combo guard in trade or free agency to pair next to Ja at times, and play backup point guard when he's not on the floor. I think Josh Richardson, Spencer Dinwiddie, or Delon Wright could be good options. Or in the draft Davion Mitchell looks like a perfect fit. I'll add Tre Mann to this list as well. 

32 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Norman Powell anyone?

Norm and/or Gary Trent Jr.

1 minute ago, ACGrizz said:

Alright, @Grizzled Vet - I went through your whole list and narrowed down to players that should at least be on our radar. Doesn't mean they'd be available to us or good value for the money they'll command, just players that could be intriguing or older stable vets and aren't totally unrealistic (for example...Kawhi isn't coming here):

Guards: Tim Hardaway Jr, Josh Richardson (PO), Norman Powell (PO), Austin Rivers, Gary Trent Jr. (RFA ), Hamidou Diallo (RFA), Talen Horton-Tucker (RFA)

Forwards:  Otto Porter Jr. , Will Barton, Kelly Olynyk, JaMychal Green (PO), Doug McDermott, Bobby Portis (PO), Jarred Vanderbilt (RFA)

I'd probably take the closest look at Tim Hardaway Jr., Norman Powell, Gary Trent Jr., Hamidou Diallo, Will Barton and Bobby Portis. 

I second the Powell and Barton pickups. I think they bring a nice level of toughness, scoring, defense, and experience that we need. Barton in particular might be pretty realistic, as I think he got mad at the Nuggets this year and might want out.

In terms of our free agents, I would cut them all except Tillie (I’d give him another 2-way in a heartbeat). 

Looking at the rest of the pack, there’s not much to get excited about. Wouldn’t it be awesome if Kawhi opted out and signed here?... Never happening but we can dream.

Realistically Tim Hardaway Jr would be a decent pickup. Possibly Norman Powell, Gary Trent Jr, Will Barton, or Lonzo. 

Will Barton is probably the most realistic of the bunch but I certainly wouldn’t be spending big bucks on any of them. I’d be fine if we mostly stand pat with our cap or offer a short term deal to someone. I’d rather see what we can work through trades.

1 hour ago, ACGrizz said:

Of your condensed list the RFA will be impossible for the Grizz to get unless it’s a sign and trade. If Otto Porter can be had at a discount he’d be the only realistic wing option and I’d look at Nerlens Noel as a true back up center option with size and athleticism 

3 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Our offseason checklist

1. Figure out Justise's contract. Most likely decline the player option, maybe bring him back on a 1 year, 3-4 million type deal (or two with an option of some sort).

2. Figure out who we are getting with the 17th pick. Do we go guard/ wing? Do we try to get another PF or Center to replace Clarke or Tillman. Another point guard to replace Tyus? We can truly take best pick available. 

3. Figure out what to do with Porter/Tillie/end of bench. Let them battle it out in training camp. I don't think we need both, as their skills seem to overlap a ton. I think Tillie looks better at this point. 

4. I would love to get a true combo guard in trade or free agency to pair next to Ja at times, and play backup point guard when he's not on the floor. I think Josh Richardson, Spencer Dinwiddie, or Delon Wright could be good options. Or in the draft Davion Mitchell looks like a perfect fit. I'll add Tre Mann to this list as well. 

I think the FO needs to also figure out what their philosophy is on vets.  Is it still youth movement or is there another rookie coming in off a draft deal?

Are they still wanting to constantly go young?  They've really only brought in and kept vets if it was for down the road reasons (like future draft picks or to unload somebody).  They've constantly been trying to get younger.

From oldest to youngest (how acquired)

JV - acquired by getting rid of an even older Marc Gasol

KA - previous regime

Grayson - acquired by getting rid of older Mike Conley

Dillon - draft

Konchar - draft

Winslow - Jedi mind tricked by Pat Riley when getting rid of older AI

3 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

I corrected the list to add that Barton has a PO.

My concern with him is that now that he's over 30, he hasn't exactly been healthy for a while.  I think he's going to pick up his PO, but maybe not.  He might get another $15 mm/year multiyear deal.

It will be real interesting on what happens to Norman Powell. Portland has committed $70mm to just Dame and CJ and they need PF/post players.  Deal perhaps?

They'll probably just pick up someone like Gorgui on the cheap.

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

Of your condensed list the RFA will be impossible for the Grizz to get unless it’s a sign and trade. If Otto Porter can be had at a discount he’d be the only realistic wing option and I’d look at Nerlens Noel as a true back up center option with size and athleticism 

I like Nerlens Noel too.  He can be a good backup and probably our best rim protector from day one.  Should be a good lob target too.  I also like Jaren/Nerlens big man duo upside.  On both offense and defense.  Not the best rebounder but I think Nerlens Noel is solid, especially for a backup.  And, at least in college, he was good at getting steals and even assists.  Bonus points for not having to burn a draft pick on some random rim runner/rim protector project (although I like Ibou Badji, Jericho Sims and some others especially late in the draft).

If we get him, then that gives us a 3 big man rotation that makes at least BC or Tillman expendable yet allows the winner of that survivor series to play to his strengths...  it is also fairly easier to draft a role player power forward in the draft than a true "5" who does center things on both sides of the ball.  

I also really want Lonzo Ball.  He averaged 15-5-5.  Good passing, good defense, keeps the ball moving...  Shot decent from 3 on lots of attempts (although he is streaky).  Really good assist/turnover ratio.  Upped his free throw percentage to 78%.  Could be an ideal fit on the perimeter who complements Ja as a secondary playmaker/passer, and DB as a solid shooter/defender/rebounder who can score a bit.

If we sign those two then we can go BPA/UPSIDE in the draft.  Also gives us a playoff-style 8 man rotation of Ja/Dillon/Lonzo/Bane/Kyle/Jaren/Jonas/Nerlens.  We can consolidate guys like Tyus, Grayson, Melton, Konchar, Clarke, Tillman and Tillie for cash/picks/expiring contracts with whoever stays turning into a useful Deep Bench Mob.  A Deep Bench Mob (9-13 on the depth chart) of Melton/Konchar/McDermott/Tillman/Tillie could be solid, especially if Melton and/or Konchar improves his point guard skills.  Or, replace Tyus Jones with a cheaper emergency third string veteran point guard type (Jarrett Jack).  Those 13 PLUS our two draft picks could make for a nearly ideal 15 player roster.

I think those two free agents (plus internal improvement) solidifies our floor as a 6-10 seed -- and with above average internal improvement and solid rookie play could put us in contention for that 4/5 matchup.

...  If a Defensive Wave takes over the NBA then we have a potential Lonzo/Dillon/Kyle/Jaren/Nerlens death squad.

... makes the draft easier: go with tall/long(ish) shooters like Trey Murphy III and/or Vrenz Bleijenbergh or another import aka draft/stash potential guy in Roko Prkacin.  Ironically those 3 guys are 29, 30 and 31 in NBA Draft Room's latest mock draft and I like those 3 guys more than just about all of the other 1st round guys, and probably at least half the projected lotto picks.  

With that roster I also like Max Abmas as a backup instant offense type and a guy who can anchor a Deep Depth Bench Mob.  Not even sure he would be a "reach" at 17.  Maybe the dude can just really shoot it and his tourney run wasn't a fluke.  Can still probably get one of Vrenz/Trey/Roko or Kessler Edwards, Quentin Grimes, Joe Wieskamp, Isaiah Todd or Johnny Juzang at 51.  

16 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I corrected the list to add that Barton has a PO.

My concern with him is that now that he's over 30, he hasn't exactly been healthy for a while.  I think he's going to pick up his PO, but maybe not.  He might get another $15 mm/year multiyear deal.

It will be real interesting on what happens to Norman Powell. Portland has committed $70mm to just Dame and CJ and they need PF/post players.  Deal perhaps?

They'll probably just pick up someone like Gorgui on the cheap.

Powell wasn’t really all that good in Portland could his play just have  been contract season play? I didn’t really see any needle movers in that FA list I think that player comes via trade. I think any FA signing should be looked at as upgrades to the current guy on the roster 

23 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I like Nerlens Noel too.  He can be a good backup and probably our best rim protector from day one.  Should be a good lob target too.  I also like Jaren/Nerlens big man duo upside.  On both offense and defense.  Not the best rebounder but I think Nerlens Noel is solid, especially for a backup.  And, at least in college, he was good at getting steals and even assists.  Bonus points for not having to burn a draft pick on some random rim runner/rim protector project (although I like Ibou Badji, Jericho Sims and some others especially late in the draft).

If we get him, then that gives us a 3 big man rotation that makes at least BC or Tillman expendable yet allows the winner of that survivor series to play to his strengths...  it is also fairly easier to draft a role player power forward in the draft than a true "5" who does center things on both sides of the ball.  

I also really want Lonzo Ball.  He averaged 15-5-5.  Good passing, good defense, keeps the ball moving...  Shot decent from 3 on lots of attempts (although he is streaky).  Really good assist/turnover ratio.  Upped his free throw percentage to 78%.  Could be an ideal fit on the perimeter who complements Ja as a secondary playmaker/passer, and DB as a solid shooter/defender/rebounder who can score a bit.

If we sign those two then we can go BPA/UPSIDE in the draft.  Also gives us a playoff-style 8 man rotation of Ja/Dillon/Lonzo/Bane/Kyle/Jaren/Jonas/Nerlens.  We can consolidate guys like Tyus, Grayson, Melton, Konchar, Clarke, Tillman and Tillie for cash/picks/expiring contracts with whoever stays turning into a useful Deep Bench Mob.  A Deep Bench Mob (9-13 on the depth chart) of Melton/Konchar/McDermott/Tillman/Tillie could be solid, especially if Melton and/or Konchar improves his point guard skills.  Or, replace Tyus Jones with a cheaper emergency third string veteran point guard type (Jarrett Jack).  Those 13 PLUS our two draft picks could make for a nearly ideal 15 player roster.

I think those two free agents (plus internal improvement) solidifies our floor as a 6-10 seed -- and with above average internal improvement and solid rookie play could put us in contention for that 4/5 matchup.

...  If a Defensive Wave takes over the NBA then we have a potential Lonzo/Dillon/Kyle/Jaren/Nerlens death squad.

... makes the draft easier: go with tall/long(ish) shooters like Trey Murphy III and/or Vrenz Bleijenbergh or another import aka draft/stash potential guy in Roko Prkacin.  Ironically those 3 guys are 29, 30 and 31 in NBA Draft Room's latest mock draft and I like those 3 guys more than just about all of the other 1st round guys, and probably at least half the projected lotto picks.  

With that roster I also like Max Abmas as a backup instant offense type and a guy who can anchor a Deep Depth Bench Mob.  Not even sure he would be a "reach" at 17.  Maybe the dude can just really shoot it and his tourney run wasn't a fluke.  Can still probably get one of Vrenz/Trey/Roko or Kessler Edwards, Quentin Grimes, Joe Wieskamp, Isaiah Todd or Johnny Juzang at 51.  

Don’t know how much it would cost to get Lonzo here but I think he’d be the perfect guy to add I doubt NO would want to sign and trade him here so we would have to try and over pay for him. I don’t know if Lonzo alone pushes us from play in game to sure fire playoff spot, but I think he’d be the perfect fit. B next to Ja and Dillon.

Just now, Ndq0327 said:

Don’t know how much it would cost to get Lonzo here but I think he’d be the perfect guy to add I doubt NO would want to sign and trade him here so we would have to try and over pay for him. I don’t know if Lonzo alone pushes us from play in game to sure fire playoff spot, but I think he’d be the perfect fit. B next to Ja and Dillon.

Ah.  Yeah, kinda determines which West teams are for real, which ones are flashes-in-the-pan, then trying to figure out if any team (LA Lakers?) really falls off to see how that 6-10 range shakes out.  Pelicans might be better, but not if they lose guys like Lonzo.  Zion/Ingram put up stats but maybe they don't make other guys better.  

Lonzo Ball (and Nerlens Noel) are guys who are fairly low maintenance and aren't super high usage and who SHOULD raise or at least solidify our floor.  

Lonzo can also run the second team and make all 3 Dookies (Tyus/Grayson/Winslow) expendable.  Tyus/Grayson/BC/51/future 2nd rounder/cash could get us the 32nd pick and Obi Toppin.  I think Obi Toppin could be a good backup power forward for us, especially if we sign Nerlens Noel for center depth.  Obi could be a decent fit next to either starter (JV and Jaren) or next to Nerlens ... and even Tillman or Tillie.  

if we go after Lonzo (or Trent Jr) then we know the FO is for real about becoming legit contenders.    That is not to say Lonzo is some elite dude but more to say doing an overpay for him will tell you what there priority is.   Lonzo is a good defender which is a must for the SG spot.  I agree @ALT GRIND all the Dookies become immediately expendable.  

Could Josh Richardson and/or Luke Kornet be obtained for low-ball $$ since they played in college around here?

If we are looking at a backup PG that can play with Ja at the same time, proven clutch shooter, tenacious defender, experienced at all levels including international ball, I'm going for Patty Mills but I doubt he leaves Spurs because he loves Pop and loves being there. Still I'd be making enquiries.

A SG/SF combo that has height (6'6") experienced without being "old", good-vgood perimeter shooter, reasonable defender and mid-range priced I'm looking at Alec Burks. I'll take him over Barton any day. Barton is older, slower, injury prone, more expensive - I think people enamored with him because he was a Tiger, but there's a reason Nuggets cut his PT in the playoffs for 2 years in a row.

Anyway, these are just tinkering moves, I dont see any FA available that will make a significant difference except Hardaway Jr and I can't see Dallas not being interested in keeping him, or Powell, who I like, but again, only 6'3", and he'll probably opt in.