Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agent Big Board 2021

17 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

After we took that low risk with Culver I believe the next move should be going after Marvin Bagley. The Kings and Minny are terrible organizations when we are talking about devoloping talent. 

He apparently was the target before Adams became the target so it's not out of the question. Not really sure how well he and JJJ would play together since both seem to have been injured quite a lot in their 3 year career. 

7 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I don't believe it is different. I truly believe there is no player the Grizzlies would trade Ja or JJJ for at this point. Everyone else is expendable in the right deal. That is my one and only point. 

I'm not even sure for JJJ. Yes he seems to be the player FO want to keep but let's see how this season goes in terms of performance for JJJ.  This season is a can't miss for him. Things change very fast in NBA. 

I was thinking, we still need a upgrade in the wing position more than the backup pg position. When it matters most Ja will play as much as we need too.

By the way, maybe Rondo stays. We actually are one of feel teams that could afford to let him be a 3rd string pg till when come the time he wants to play.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yhvevb2o

Other idea like someone suggested is to go big after Brown. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yf2jhrlt

In either case we would have to give them draft compensation.

6 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

maybe Rondo stays

Wait ... woah.

This never even crossed my mind...

What would be the best role for Rondo should the FO decide to keep him? 

I mean would he even want the role of a third stringer - especially if we are not firing on all cylinders early?

1 minute ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Wait ... woah.

Assistant coach

Just now, kevofrommempho said:

Assistant coach

🤣

right ! 

Actually, I think he would make a great player coach this season then transition into a coaching position - not necessarily a head coach right away but definately one of the guys that can get the most out of the players.

On 8/18/2021 at 11:28 AM, The J Crew said:

I disagree. And I thought I was the biggest Kyle fan, but apparently not. 

It's not the age, it's that we control Desmond, BC and Xavier for 6-8 more years. Restricted free agency is such a valuable tool for the small markets. 

I understand, and it is unlikely any of those 3, especially BC, get KA's type of offer because I don't they are as good.  Admittedly, that may be recency bias, but as of now, I think Kyle has the most unique skill set that puts him well above the others.  If other teams had the option to choose Kyle or any, both or all of those 3, I think playoff teams choose Kyle, rebuilding teams choose the 3 parts.  The question is where does the FO see this team next year.

We have a bunch of solid players that we hope we can consolidate into a better player.  Maybe Kyle is that better player? It feels like this organization has been the team that sends out the better player and gets the parts and picks back.  They haven't shown they can get the better player in the trade yet.  

Again, I hope he plays so well for the team this year that it makes it a tough decision on retaining him.  As of now, if he is the 3rd highest paid player on Grizzlies behind Ja and JJJ, this team is maybe a 1 playoff series win type of team.

If he has already made it known he's wanting to go to Cali or NY area, you deal him this year.

4 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Wait ... woah.

I mean would he even want the role of a third stringer - especially if we are not firing on all cylinders early?

I think he only cares about Playoffs, then he works hard as a backup. They might be just what we need.

6 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

I think he only cares about Playoffs, then he works hard as a backup. They might be just what we need.

Ja/Tyus/Rondo would be more than cool with me 😂😂

Rondo has no place in the team unless he is on the way to retire and become assistant coach. Tyus is a better player right now. I'm still surprised we make a lot of move without the realp osition we were weak last year ( shooting).

Let's wait, trade are not finish yet  and FO have probably to make another move before deadline.

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

That isn't happening 

Seems a little rich for Aaron Gordon, no? And despite giving him all this money, the Nuggets give him the 4th year player option?  Klutch sports wins again. 

5 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Seems a little rich for Aaron Gordon, no? And despite giving him all this money, the Nuggets give him the 4th year player option?  Klutch sports wins again. 

So Jokic, Jamal Murray and now Aaron Gordon are signed. Now we see what MPJ gets. And does what MPJ gets affect what Jaren gets, if he is extended this off season?

13 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

So Jokic, Jamal Murray and now Aaron Gordon are signed. Now we see what MPJ gets. And does what MPJ gets affect what Jaren gets, if he is extended this off season?

I believe they will wait on the season to resign Jaren. 

4 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

Pretty sure they have to do an extension by the last day before the season starts. 

16 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

16 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Pretty sure they have to do an extension by the last day before the season starts. 

I believe the previous poster was suggesting the Grizzlies will wait until the conclusion of this coming season to resign JJJ and not after the season begins. I could be wrong of course but that is how I read his comment. 

On 8/19/2021 at 10:09 AM, kevofrommempho said:

Assistant coach

Can they sign him, put him on the nudge-nudge-wink-wink injury list, and bring him forward if anyone gets hurt? 

On 9/14/2021 at 4:23 PM, The J Crew said:

Will JJJ sign it?

11 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I believe the previous poster was suggesting the Grizzlies will wait until the conclusion of this coming season to resign JJJ and not after the season begins. I could be wrong of course but that is how I read his comment. 

Yeah, that was what I meant 

Unfortunately, I think this will mean max contracts for players like JJJ and then a couple of years later, they will probably be traded for trash.

"You are naive to think that the best way to build your roster is through free agency and not the draft and trades," one Western Conference GM told ESPN. "Preserving cap space and waiting for that next great player to become available will get you fired."