Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agent Big Board 2021

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Our offseason checklist

1. Figure out Justise's contract. Most likely decline the player option, maybe bring him back on a 1 year, 3-4 million type deal (or two with an option of some sort).

2. Figure out who we are getting with the 17th pick. Do we go guard/ wing? Do we try to get another PF or Center to replace Clarke or Tillman. Another point guard to replace Tyus? We can truly take best pick available. IMO Tillman is Clarke's replacement. 

3. Figure out what to do with Porter/Tillie/end of bench. Let them battle it out in training camp. I don't think we need both, as their skills seem to overlap a ton. I think Tillie looks better at this point. 

4. I would love to get a true combo guard in trade or free agency to pair next to Ja at times, and play backup point guard when he's not on the floor. I think Josh Richardson, Spencer Dinwiddie, or Delon Wright could be good options. Or in the draft Davion Mitchell looks like a perfect fit. I'll add Tre Mann to this list as well. Brogdon would be perfect if Indiana blows it up. If we can't sign one or trade for one we should take a hard look at drafting Tre Mann if he is still there at 17, most mocks seem to think he will be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KyleB said:

 

Are they going to ditch BC?  Is that why he was stuck on the bench in the series?  I think it would be stupid to just pretty much give him away.  

Josh Richardson is only 27 years old.  Seems older because in this area, we remember him playing in knoxville close to ten years ago.  But in reality, he is still in the not overly ripe years.  His NBA career average is a bit over 12ppg and that is what he had this season.  36% career from three is not Steph Curry,  but it's not horrible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Are they going to ditch BC?  Is that why he was stuck on the bench in the series?  I think it would be stupid to just pretty much give him away.  

Josh Richardson is only 27 years old.  Seems older because in this area, we remember him playing in knoxville close to ten years ago.  But in reality, he is still in the not overly ripe years.  His NBA career average is a bit over 12ppg and that is what he had this season.  36% career from three is not Steph Curry,  but it's not horrible.  

He is 28 gonna be 29, but he still has some years left on him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KyleB said:

 

Brogdon would be nice for sure, Tillman is a center really only. I don't really see him ever being a starter either. Brandon is a PF, but I understand where you are coming from. Theoretically the fit between Jaren and Tillman isn't much different than the fit between Jaren and JV, which is only okay at best. We haven't really seen them play with each other though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also like Cameron Payne but would the Suns let him go, and would he leave, to come and play backup to Ja?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dy_dy_dynomite said:

What about using the salary cap to trade for someone instead of signing someone 

 

I think that is probably what will happen, but I think you have to still consider if the Grizzlies FO is beholden to the idea to only bring in guys 25 or younger or if they are now ready to put in vets to guide and contribute.

What teams are looking to significantly restructure the roster? 

Celtics, but they aren't moving off J&J.

Portland if they lose in first round.  Like the Grit N Grind Grizzlies, this team has had multiple years (8) of playoff runs with this group.  At some point, it's time to shuffle.  Maybe not yet but soon.

Clippers if there is a first round loss, maybe.

Spurs have been running on fumes.  If they let DeRozan walk, they will have other vets they can try to get assets for. I'm just not sure any would come to Memphis. Maybe Gorgui Dieng, Patty Mills or Rudy Gay.  That's the unappealing list.

 

Again, I can't stress enough that the FA or trade talk depends on what the FO wants to do with seasoned vets or young players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Are they going to ditch BC?  Is that why he was stuck on the bench in the series?  I think it would be stupid to just pretty much give him away.  

Josh Richardson is only 27 years old.  Seems older because in this area, we remember him playing in knoxville close to ten years ago.  But in reality, he is still in the not overly ripe years.  His NBA career average is a bit over 12ppg and that is what he had this season.  36% career from three is not Steph Curry,  but it's not horrible.  

 

I honestly thought that BC was being held out because he wasn't 100% yet until they put him in for meaningless minutes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dy_dy_dynomite said:

What about using the salary cap to trade for someone instead of signing someone 

This is FA is not good. We should make some trades and draft right to upgrade our team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should be ready I see alot of teams blowing it up restarting like the Blazers ,Lakers and clips making all of their guys available.

My dream target list 

1.Mitchell Robinson if the knicks don't pick up their option.

2.Miles Bridges (this one is kind of  impossible)Dream fit for our core.

3.Guys like Talen Tuker horton  (and others)who never really got to play but have potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, costarica2 said:

We should be ready I see alot of teams blowing it up restarting like the Blazers ,Lakers and clips making all of their guys available.

My dream target list 

1.Mitchell Robinson if the knicks don't pick up their option.

2.Miles Bridges (this one is kind of  impossible)Dream fit for our core.

3.Guys like Talen Tuker horton  (and others)who never really got to play but have potential.

I know who Bridges is but how would he help us out? Not saying your wrong in anyway I just dont know enough about him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, costarica2 said:

We should be ready I see alot of teams blowing it up restarting like the Blazers ,Lakers and clips making all of their guys available.

My dream target list 

1.Mitchell Robinson if the knicks don't pick up their option.

2.Miles Bridges (this one is kind of  impossible)Dream fit for our core.

3.Guys like Talen Tuker horton  (and others)who never really got to play but have potential.

Mitchell is a great target but I see him as a 2022 target.  His option should be picked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I know who Bridges is but how would he help us out? Not saying your wrong in anyway I just dont know enough about him. 

Defensive/explosive SF.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Mitchell is a great target but I see him as a 2022 target.  His option should be picked up.

They might not since their coach doesn't seen like him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Are they going to ditch BC?  Is that why he was stuck on the bench in the series?  I think it would be stupid to just pretty much give him away.  

 

If they are not going to play him I hope they trade him before he loses even more trade value from the DNPCds. Tillman's DNPCDs came in the playoffs, where it is hard to play a rookie. BC's started coming in the regular season and seemed to be a result of the coach just preferring Tillman.

The thought when BC was drafted and all through his rookie season where he out performed his draft position was that he would be a great fit next to Jaren and give us 2 modern athletic bigs who can defend the pnr and switch onto perimeter players when needed. But neither he or Jaren rebound at a high enough rate to play together and neither are very physical. I think Tillman gives us a lot of the same defensive flexibility but is a better rebounder and more physical and as a bonus he seems to have a better outside shot than Clarke, and the fact that he is JJJ's best friend doesn't hurt either as long as Jaren is one of the two primary pieces we are building around as part of our long term plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised to see Doug McDermott's name come up as a possible Grizzlies acquisition target. His brother is here on a 2 way deal so they could offer to keep him as an incentive. He shot over 50% from the floor and nearly 39% from 3 last season while averaging 13+ PPG. He'd fit in nicely as a starting SF who can spread the court and open things in the paint for drives. 

Not saying the Grizzlies will go after him but I could understand it if they did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, costarica2 said:

We should be ready I see alot of teams blowing it up restarting like the Blazers ,Lakers and clips making all of their guys available.

My dream target list 

1.Mitchell Robinson if the knicks don't pick up their option.

2.Miles Bridges (this one is kind of  impossible)Dream fit for our core.

3.Guys like Talen Tuker horton  (and others)who never really got to play but have potential.

Mitch Rob is gonna get paid.  I really like him too.  Ideal twin towers in “today’s” NBA is probably a Jaren type and a Mitch Rob type where the 3J type can also slide over to the 5.  Ironically, both guys are solid archetypes and we haven’t really seen those types in subsequent drafts.  Maybe Evan Mobley is a blend of both types.  
 

I also like Mikal Bridges — but he is gonna get PAID too.  Lots of great players from that Draft.  
 

Wondering if we could pay Mitch Rob AND Mikal, to go along with our Ja/DB/Jaren trio.  Another ‘18 role player might be on my radar too — Donte Inferno.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Trailblazers are going to blow up the team and fire their coach. I think they've tried everything they possibly could to get out of the West, with not a lot of success. It is time to move on. It is like the Grizzlies a few years ago, we had a great run, made a conference championship, but that's as far as that group could go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Doug McDermott's name come up as a possible Grizzlies acquisition target. His brother is here on a 2 way deal so they could offer to keep him as an incentive. He shot over 50% from the floor and nearly 39% from 3 last season while averaging 13+ PPG. He'd fit in nicely as a starting SF who can spread the court and open things in the paint for drives. 

Not saying the Grizzlies will go after him but I could understand it if they did. 

Well spotted, I could see that eventuating.

The Grizzlies would still need a consolidation trade though. I noticed that Terrence Ross is on the same money as Winslow for 2 more seasons. The Grizzlies could trade for him using a combo of Melton or Allen and/or Brandon and/or Tyus to get him and shift Dillon back to starting SG, and this way they have strengthened both positions with Dillon/Desmond as the SG, and Buckets/Ross as SF.

They add size to the wings without sacrificing too much except for an extra year of salary (Ross) beyond what Winslow would get if his option is picked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really underwhelming list there huh. I could see them making a two-for-1 sign+trade if theyre targetting a bigger FA. Otherwise just sign a couple vets with playoff experience to help out. Someone like Dellavedova maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Doug McDermott's name come up as a possible Grizzlies acquisition target. His brother is here on a 2 way deal so they could offer to keep him as an incentive. He shot over 50% from the floor and nearly 39% from 3 last season while averaging 13+ PPG. He'd fit in nicely as a starting SF who can spread the court and open things in the paint for drives. 

Not saying the Grizzlies will go after him but I could understand it if they did. 

Same last name but no relation chip 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cdp said:

Really underwhelming list there huh. I could see them making a two-for-1 sign+trade if theyre targetting a bigger FA. Otherwise just sign a couple vets with playoff experience to help out. Someone like Dellavedova maybe.

Yeah I see a small signing and a trade with the rest of our cap more than a big signing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2021 at 8:11 PM, BigHunkALove said:

I also like Cameron Payne but would the Suns let him go, and would he leave, to come and play backup to Ja?

I think Cam would come home to play with Ja they play together in the summer time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Well spotted, I could see that eventuating.

The Grizzlies would still need a consolidation trade though. I noticed that Terrence Ross is on the same money as Winslow for 2 more seasons. The Grizzlies could trade for him using a combo of Melton or Allen and/or Brandon and/or Tyus to get him and shift Dillon back to starting SG, and this way they have strengthened both positions with Dillon/Desmond as the SG, and Buckets/Ross as SF.

They add size to the wings without sacrificing too much except for an extra year of salary (Ross) beyond what Winslow would get if his option is picked up.

McDermott isn’t much of a SF anymore foot speed is an issue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Richardson's minutes for the Mavs have been cut in the last couple of games in the playoffs. Probably doesn't bode well for him long term there. 

I think he would fit in nicely here. He can defend 1-3, and probably could reasonably play 1-3. I think he could play with any of our wing rotation. More or less, he can replace Tyus, while still playing next to Ja and Dillon. Means we can still have plenty of minutes for Melton, Grayson, and Bane if Tyus is out of the rotation. 

I at least think someone like that is the way to go, I'd also still really like Delon Wright. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are people already ready to get rid of Clarke? He had a bad season. Doesn't mean he wont  rebound. Now if this next season he stinks then we got to figure something out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2021 at 1:55 PM, chipc3 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Doug McDermott's name come up as a possible Grizzlies acquisition target. His brother is here on a 2 way deal so they could offer to keep him as an incentive. He shot over 50% from the floor and nearly 39% from 3 last season while averaging 13+ PPG. He'd fit in nicely as a starting SF who can spread the court and open things in the paint for drives. 

Not saying the Grizzlies will go after him but I could understand it if they did. 

They’re not related apparently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now