Sign in to follow this  
ALT GRIND

NBA Draft Top 25 With Tiers: Gone Fishing Edition

Haven't done a lotto update in awhile.  Even an internal one.  Promised to post my next one after our season ended. We had a good run guys. And our top guys look like... top guys.  Of course, we could use a couple more pieces (who couldn't???) but if we just add seasoning (internal development) we should be very solid next season.

Ok... here it goes. My Top 25 draft board with Tiers.

People say it's a GREAT draft.  But... can it be a GREAT draft without any GREAT players?  On the high end it is a VERY GOOD draft.  After that it is a Good/Meh/ Bust Draft -- like most are.

Just gonna do a player comp/hybrid comp instead of one long, drawn out player write-up blurb/rant.

Tier 1.5

Jalen Green:  ABA David Thompson meets NCAA Clyde Drexler

Tier 2

Evan Mobley: Back To the Future Bill Cartwright with more bounce/range.  Shades of Pau Gasol

Tier 2.5 

Vrenz Bleijenbergh: Wayne Gretzky/Ivan Drago Lite hybrid comp with shades of Deluxe Detlef/Durant Lite aka Vanilla Durantula

Josh Giddey: Shades of Pistol Pete without a shot.  

Cade Cunningham: Deluxe Chris Mullin/Carmelo Anthony Lite

Tier 3

Trey Murphy III: Sean Elliott Lite/Broke Man's 3 and D Kevin Durant

Max Abmas: Steph Lite

Davion Mitchell: Timmy Hardaway Offense/Kyle Lowry (Marcus Smart Lite) Defense

Roko Prkacin: Luka Lite/Bernard King Lite

Usman Garuba: Deluxe James Johnson/Dray Lite/Bam Lite/Hybrid Broke Man's Zion and YMCA LeBron

Tier 3.5 

Jared Butler: Deluxe Mario Chalmers/Broke Man's Kyle Lowry/Maurice Cheeks Lite

Jalen Suggs: Deluxe OJ Mayo

Chris Duarte: Klay Lite

Tier 4

Keon Johnson: Deluxe DJ Stephens with shades of Michael Wilson plus shades of Kobe/Kawhi Lite

Franz Wagner: Slo Mo Kukoc

Tier 4.5

Ibou Dianko-Badji: Rudy Gobert/Hasheem Thabeet Coin Flip with shades of Baseline JaVale McGee

Jonathan Kuminga: Deluxe Harvey Grant/Jeff Green with shades of Rudy Gay

Jalen Johnson: Coach K is about to quit.

Tier 5

McKinley Wright IV: broke man's CP3

Mac McClung: The Human Ja Morant Lowlight Reel

Isaiah Jackson: YMCA KG

Alperen Sengun:  Drew Gooden/Ja Okafor/Dino Radja/Pau Gasol Lite

Kai Jones: Deluxe Stro

Dejon Jarreau: Spicy Tony Wroten

Jaden Springer: Tobias Harris (only successful UT-K player I can think of) of combo guards

Bump.

Not sure if there are any sure fire HOFers in this draft.  Or, even fringe MVP types.  Wouldn't be shocked if there are no Lukas or Traes or Jas or Zions.

I think there is probably at least one Tier 1.5 guys and a few more Tier 2 types, but I think the strength of this draft is Tier 3 and Tier 4 where you get a bunch of good starters, high level role players, and even some fringe All Stars.

It's also a good draft to find a third string point guard and/or a third string center even in that 50-55 (or later) range.  

If we look back on this draft in 5-10 years I wouldn't be surprised if it is known as the Jalen Green Draft.  With Evan Mobley being the "set of steak knives" aka Consolation Prize with lots of good door prizes after that but maybe nothing really special.  

Teams will need a cohesive/synergistic draft/free agency strategy this summer.

P.S.  I might start a SECOND ROUND PICK/51ST PICK/BLAZERS PICK thread.  

23 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Haven't done a lotto update in awhile.  Even an internal one.  Promised to post my next one after our season ended. We had a good run guys. And our top guys look like... top guys.  Of course, we could use a couple more pieces (who couldn't???) but if we just add seasoning (internal development) we should be very solid next season.

Ok... here it goes. My Top 25 draft board with Tiers.

People say it's a GREAT draft.  But... can it be a GREAT draft without any GREAT players?  On the high end it is a VERY GOOD draft.  After that it is a Good/Meh/ Bust Draft -- like most are.

Just gonna do a player comp/hybrid comp instead of one long, drawn out player write-up blurb/rant.

Tier 1.5

Jalen Green:  ABA David Thompson meets NCAA Clyde Drexler

Tier 2

Evan Mobley: Back To the Future Bill Cartwright with more bounce/range.  Shades of Pau Gasol

Tier 2.5 

Vrenz Bleijenbergh: Wayne Gretzky/Ivan Drago Lite hybrid comp with shades of Deluxe Detlef/Durant Lite aka Vanilla Durantula

Josh Giddey: Shades of Pistol Pete without a shot.  

Cade Cunningham: Deluxe Chris Mullin/Carmelo Anthony Lite

Tier 3

Trey Murphy III: Sean Elliott Lite/Broke Man's 3 and D Kevin Durant

Max Abmas: Steph Lite

Davion Mitchell: Timmy Hardaway Offense/Kyle Lowry (Marcus Smart Lite) Defense

Roko Prkacin: Luka Lite/Bernard King Lite

Usman Garuba: Deluxe James Johnson/Dray Lite/Bam Lite/Hybrid Broke Man's Zion and YMCA LeBron

Tier 3.5 

Jared Butler: Deluxe Mario Chalmers/Broke Man's Kyle Lowry/Maurice Cheeks Lite

Jalen Suggs: Deluxe OJ Mayo

Chris Duarte: Klay Lite

Tier 4

Keon Johnson: Deluxe DJ Stephens with shades of Michael Wilson plus shades of Kobe/Kawhi Lite

Franz Wagner: Slo Mo Kukoc

Tier 4.5

Ibou Dianko-Badji: Rudy Gobert/Hasheem Thabeet Coin Flip with shades of Baseline JaVale McGee

Jonathan Kuminga: Deluxe Harvey Grant/Jeff Green with shades of Rudy Gay

Jalen Johnson: Coach K is about to quit.

Tier 5

McKinley Wright IV: broke man's CP3

Mac McClung: The Human Ja Morant Lowlight Reel

Isaiah Jackson: YMCA KG

Alperen Sengun:  Drew Gooden/Ja Okafor/Dino Radja/Pau Gasol Lite

Kai Jones: Deluxe Stro

Dejon Jarreau: Spicy Tony Wroten

Jaden Springer: Tobias Harris (only successful UT-K player I can think of) of combo guards

For me is,

Best player in the draft = Cade

Next tier (no order)

Green

Suggs

Mobley 

Johnson & Johnson (both based on potential)

Bouknight 

Garuba

Barnes

Moody

Next tier is the rest (no order)

Duarte 

Dosunmu 

Kuminga

Sengun

Murphy

Wagner

Mitchell

Vrenz

Giddey

Kispert

Jones

Brown

Queta

Williams

Christopher 

Livers

Mann 

Juzang

Hyland

Ayayi 

Jones

Nix

Shannon Jr

Huff 

Grimes

Bassey

Garza

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2021-nba-mock-draft/

has us taking kai jones

Kai jones looks like a  BC replacement.   Super athletic finisher that can guard 5 positions with hints of a 3pt shot.  he would be a project tho.      A Big rotation of Jaren, Jonas, Kai, Tillman, and Kyle gives us versatility to face any type of team in the playoffs.   He is complete opposite of jaren in that he is extremely fluid athlete that has complete control of his limbs -almost like a wing. 

I am interested in "Spicy Tony Wroten". Lol. I enjoyed reading some of those comps ALT GRIND

48 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

has us taking kai jones

Kai jones looks like a  BC replacement.   Super athletic finisher that can guard 5 positions with hints of a 3pt shot.  he would be a project tho.      A Big rotation of Jaren, Jonas, Kai, Tillman, and Kyle gives us versatility to face any type of team in the playoffs.   He is complete opposite of jaren in that he is extremely fluid athlete that has complete control of his limbs -almost like a wing. 

I do like him but only if he is in the legit 6'10 or 6'11 frame he seemed shorter to me

4 minutes ago, bterry1990 said:

I do like him but only if he is in the legit 6'10 or 6'11 frame he seemed shorter to me

He looked 6'10 to me but i'd like to see his combine measurables too.        If we have 2 picks i am not opposed to getting a long athletic Big.  

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

He looked 6'10 to me but i'd like to see his combine measurables too.        If we have 2 picks i am not opposed to getting a long athletic Big.  

For sure with us being outside the lottery we should take a chance on a player who is very athletic and could blossom into something more... I really trust the front office it is a great time to be a Grizzlies fan

On 6/2/2021 at 11:53 PM, ALT GRIND said:

Did you know you have a ut player ranked 2 tiers higher in that same list??

I am as anti-ut as it gets.  We don't allow anything in the color orange in this house.  But get serious.

Josh Richardson (who would be a good off-season addition) + a few names from the past you may have heard of...

Bernard King, Alan Houston, Dale Ellis.  I agree that a state school with a 25,000 seat arena should have more though.  Little ole TSU in downtown Nashville has had more double figure NBA career scorers than ut... including double-double machine Truck Robinson.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

has us taking kai jones

So, we are cutting ties with BC because he had a down year on his 3-point shooting while playing injured?

I have nothing against drafting Kai, but worry that BC is being given up on too soon.

Couldn't this have been placed in the NBA Draft thread? 

20 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

So, we are cutting ties with BC because he had a down year on his 3-point shooting while playing injured?

I have nothing against drafting Kai, but worry that BC is being given up on too soon.

Fans may be giving up on him but I don't believe the staff has. He was a first round pick after all. He's still on his rookie deal and I am sure the only way the FO and coaches are giving up on him is if they have a deal to bring in a veteran with playoff experience. 

1 hour ago, SC Grizz said:

I am interested in "Spicy Tony Wroten". Lol. I enjoyed reading some of those comps ALT GRIND

I like to do comps first then plug that into a board.  Sometimes draft gurus don’t like somebody then they compare him to some former player who was underwhelming.  And even the comps are off.  Although sometimes the best comp is an athlete in a different field (or a composite).  So... with Anthony Edwards last year I went with the no-brainer DaJuan Wagner/Mike Tyson mixtape with shades of OJ Mayo.   Can’t really think of a better comp.  

For Dejon Jarreau he had really good metrics and Houston won a lot.  He’s a gritty player.  I think he can run a Deep Bench Mob.  Could be a solid pick at 51 if we went with a wing shooter at 17 and no good bigs are left at 51.  Although maybe even to be drafted we need to see shades of Tyreke on offense and Tony Allen on defense.  

P.S.  my favorite comp so far, which almost inspired the ALT GRIND handle was my Dillon Brooks comparison (either just before or just after that draft) to John Havlicek.  And I am sticking by that comparison.  Updated DB hybrid comparison: Hondo/Lionel Richie/Rick Rude mix tape.

7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Couldn't this have been placed in the NBA Draft thread? 

I was thinking that our draft thread is more about who WE should draft at 17... or at least realistic move-up targets.  

I guess we can go back to the main Draft thread.  Doesn’t matter to me.  I will post a one round Big Board after the lotto and then a 2 round Big Board just before the Draft.  

I would also like to see a “2nd Round Pick” thread since the prospect pool at 17 differs a bit from that at 51.  

I would figure that a third of the threads now will be about the draft, a third about free agency/trades then the other third about looking back at our season — as well as looking forward.  Maybe we keep the “Jaren angst” threads at a minimum.  

32 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

FO can keep BC and draft Kai.  they just seem redundant from a skills standpoint but with Kai having the superior ceiling.  

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

FO can keep BC and draft Kai.  they just seem redundant from a skills standpoint but with Kai having the superior ceiling.  

A cynic would say they overlap. And like Jaren, not a great rebounder and another dude with more promise than actual production.  

An optimist would say, hey, against certain teams we can roll out a Kai/BC/Jaren front line.  

For teams who draft bigs, a team may get more value out of Kai at 17, than Evan Mobley in the top 3 — on the other hand, point guards, combo guards and tall wings/combo forwards like Vrenz Bleijenbergh, Trey Murphy III and Roko Prkacin might offer both higher floors AND higher ceilings.  

Usman Garuba could be an interesting option if we need a “3rd big” to backup Jaren and Jonas.  I can also see Garuba playing well with Jaren.  

Not sure Kai can do much with bigs like Gobert, Embiid, Jokic and Ayton.  So he’s a small ball 5 in a league where teams seem to be finally moving away from Small Ball.  Then long-term you pair him with Jaren and maybe they overlap too much or have too-similar weaknesses.  

His teammate Greg Brown III might have a higher ceiling.  His teammate Jericho Sims might have a higher floor.   

Guess I will have to do another Kai Jones deep dive.  I will probably have him anywhere from 5-35 on my final Big Board.  

11 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I was thinking that our draft thread is more about who WE should draft at 17... or at least realistic move-up targets.  

I guess we can go back to the main Draft thread.  Doesn’t matter to me.  I will post a one round Big Board after the lotto and then a 2 round Big Board just before the Draft.  

I would also like to see a “2nd Round Pick” thread since the prospect pool at 17 differs a bit from that at 51.  

I would figure that a third of the threads now will be about the draft, a third about free agency/trades then the other third about looking back at our season — as well as looking forward.  Maybe we keep the “Jaren angst” threads at a minimum.  

You don't need a new thread for every thought. Just use what you have and update as needed. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

You don't need a new thread for every thought. Just use what you have and update as needed. 

Ah.  

Right now I am mostly looking at highlights anyway.  Probably won’t post another big board or even a draft update until after Lotto Nite.  

P.S.  maybe this can be the “51st pick” thread too.  Can you tweak the thread title?

3 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Ah.  

Right now I am mostly looking at highlights anyway.  Probably won’t post another big board or even a draft update until after Lotto Nite.  

P.S.  maybe this can be the “51st pick” thread too.  Can you tweak the thread title?

This thread has nothing to do with the 51st pick. It should have been initiated in the NBA draft thread where it belongs. Again, you don't have to start a new thread every time you think of something new about the draft. We don't need a thread for each pick (especially with this front office that moves and acquires picks every draft. If you want to have a draft board you can include the second round with the first. If someone wants to comment on who they want at 17 or 51 they can do it there as well. 

This isn't a complicated idea to grasp. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

This thread has nothing to do with the 51st pick. It should have been initiated in the NBA draft thread where it belongs. Again, you don't have to start a new thread every time you think of something new about the draft. We don't need a thread for each pick (especially with this front office that moves and acquires picks every draft. If you want to have a draft board you can include the second round with the first. If someone wants to comment on who they want at 17 or 51 they can do it there as well. 

This isn't a complicated idea to grasp. 

I don't think his point of the pool of players being different at 17 versus 51 is a hard one to grasp either. Kind of a rude comment, IMO.

The conversations about who would be a good selection in the 1st verus the 2nd round are likely two very different conversations. I think he makes a pretty good point.

Sure we can keep a super lengthy overall draft thread where you can talk about every possible scenario too. We always have and I assume we always will. I don't see any harm in the one off threads either. Where else can one find "Spicy Tony Wroten"?? If someone doesn't want to read (or comment) then they don't have to. 

1 minute ago, SC Grizz said:

I don't think his point of the pool of players being different at 17 versus 51 is a hard one to grasp either. Kind of a rude comment, IMO.

The conversations about who would be a good selection in the 1st verus the 2nd round are likely two very different conversations. I think he makes a pretty good point.

Sure we can keep a super lengthy overall draft thread where you can talk about every possible scenario too. We always have and I assume we always will. I don't see any harm in the one off threads either. Where else can one find "Spicy Tony Wroten"?? If someone doesn't want to read (or comment) then they don't have to. 

I wasn't trying to be difficult or rude. I apologize if it was taken that way. We just have plenty of threads on the draft (most started by one poster) and I am trying to make sure other topics have space left to discuss on the front page. 

My favorite guy for our pick is Ayo Dosunmu. He's like a 6-5 Melton. Combo guard, super long arms (7-1 wingspan I think), pretty good looking jumper, impressive ability to finish inside with finesse. 3&D guy with the ability to run the offense in spurts. 

On 6/4/2021 at 12:47 PM, bhoyal said:

Agree, BC has shown too many good things to just toss him after a bad stretch.

Plus he's on a rookie contract for 2 more years, why do we want to get rid of cheap solid bench players?