Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Utah Jazz @ Memphis Grizzlies - 5/31/21

8 hours ago, Lugan Village said:

Gorbert 15 and 8, jv 14 and 12....that’s a push....u have jaren on Rudy and he’s fouled out by half...x I love, but 6’8 ain’t going to do it against him either, jvs been neutral tonight against Rudy...we will take it

I know you are a JV homer, but it's a joke looking at purely their points and rebounds in terms of on court productivity. 

Gorbert was every bit the defensive player of the year stifling drives and playing big. JV was getting cooked on the PnR being a negative. 

I would even say Gorbert has OWNED, BOTH our starting bigs putting them in foul trouble and making them play way below their averages. 

7 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Oh I acknowledge that for sure.  I was talking player wise

Mentioned that in another thread, but Jaren and Justise returning to previous levels of play (and Jaren works on getting stronger and fouling less), Brandon developing a consistent shot, Melton being ale to attack the basket more consistently, Ja improving from 3 and on D, Dillon being more consistent and efficient, Grayson and Bane improving their all around games. JV and Kyle are the only two that have hit their ceilings imo. Everyone else should be able to get better. And like I mentioned, experience will certainly help as well. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Gobert fouled out in Game 1. You can’t force the refs to blow their whistles either. I believe numerous fouls were, shall we say missed, while the Grizzlies were called for fouls that were shall we say difficult to comprehend upon review.

Their was some bad calls… but we stopped attacking the basket.. we stopped trying to draw fouls. Part of Utah’s game plan is to draw fouls on brooks. 

9 hours ago, grizz09 said:

i agree he's doing what the coaches are telling him to do, but it's clearly not working.  either have him hedge or sit him on the bench for JJJ or tillman.  you can't do drop coverage against such an elite 3 pt shooting team.  their shooting confidence has increased in every game.

Thank You !!!!

8 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Sure JV/Melton/Clarke/Tyus/pick for KAT/2nd rounders/Jared Vanderbilt.

KAT is a loser.  Don't want him.  He's had other talented players on the team with him, some decent role players too, yet he's never sniffed the playoffs.  He's talented - for padding stats.

29 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

KAT is a loser.  Don't want him.  He's had other talented players on the team with him, some decent role players too, yet he's never sniffed the playoffs.  He's talented - for padding stats.

I dont agree.  He is not a best player on team type but he is a way better 2 option than Jaren.

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

I dont agree.  He is not a best player on team type but he is a way better 2 option than Jaren.

Yeah, maybe so, at least right now he is, but he would cost too much.  I'm willing to wait until after next season before moving on from Jaren.  His coordination might get better after getting accustomed to his growth spurt, plus he may be able to knock some rust off too.

10 hours ago, grizz09 said:

bane has only taken 7 3 pt attemps in 4 games and made 5.  now part of that is on him to learn how to move off ball and get open, but TJ has to run some plays to get him and allen open more.  they both go long stretches on offense w/o getting a touch or a look.  what's the point in having potentially 2 elite 3 pt wings (who can both hit on high volume) when you don't utilize them, especially bane.  he is only getting on average 4 FG attempts per game in this series.  grayson just 7.  they should each be getting 6-8 3 pt attemps per game much less 2 pt attempts as well.  it's maddening.

This this this all day.  Watching Ja shoot 3s when he can get those guys looks was beyond frustrating.   Bane legit rarely ever gets looks.   Grayson has learned just to shoot whenever he gets slightest hint of daylight.   Bane is more of a "make the right play" type of guy which is why he doesn't just chuck. 

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Mentioned that in another thread, but Jaren and Justise returning to previous levels of play (and Jaren works on getting stronger and fouling less), Brandon developing a consistent shot, Melton being ale to attack the basket more consistently, Ja improving from 3 and on D, Dillon being more consistent and efficient, Grayson and Bane improving their all around games. JV and Kyle are the only two that have hit their ceilings imo. Everyone else should be able to get better. And like I mentioned, experience will certainly help as well. 

• I don't think Justise will be back; even his best season is not all that great. 
  • For Melton, I think ballhandling is going to be big. I don't need him to have Kyrie/Ja handles, but he has to at least give me confidence that he can take care of it and be trusted to dribble in crunch time.
  • Agree on Ja and BC; for BC, I think awareness on D will be important too, as I feel he overhelps and often leaves folks open for 3s.
  • I'd be surprised if we see much more improvement from Dillon, given he'll be entering his 5th season and he also spent 3 years in college. Maybe I'm overlooking someone, but I can't think of many players fitting that profile that really changed much as a player from their 4th to 5th season. Continued emphasis on efficiency though and trying to cut down on the fouls would be good "tasks" for him to focus on though.

Just a reminder that if Melton had stuck around 4 years of college, he would be a NBA rookie next year, and we have played 4 guys this series even younger than him.

I know a lot of teams have young players on them, but those teams aren't in the playoffs.  The Jazz have 1 player under 25 (Mitchell).  The Lakers, Clippers, Nets, Sixers, Bucks probably have guys that remember when Netflix DVD's came in the mail and may have even been in the league when Obama was president, and the Grizzlies have a bunch of guys that only know a world with Instagram and TikTok.

It's practically grown boys playing grown men

To add to that, the other young teams didn't start taking their next big steps until they added some veterans from outside the organization like Chris Paul or Galinari/Bogdanovic.  I don't know if this team is ready this off season for that, but at some point, that step has to be made.

refs have to be better.  we're not allowed to defend them even semi-close.  that "foul" they called on allen against mitchell late in the game was such a trash call.  clarkson tries to run through allen twice with the ball then gets in his ear trying to **** talk him, no offensive foul call.  gobert and favors setting moving screens all game, jonas getting held when trying to get rebounds.  our guys get hit in the paint, get hit at the 3 pt line, and don't get calls.

8 hours ago, ACGrizz said:
  • I don't think Justise will be back; even his best season is not all that great. 
  • For Melton, I think ballhandling is going to be big. I don't need him to have Kyrie/Ja handles, but he has to at least give me confidence that he can take care of it and be trusted to dribble in crunch time.
  • Agree on Ja and BC; for BC, I think awareness on D will be important too, as I feel he overhelps and often leaves folks open for 3s.
  • I'd be surprised if we see much more improvement from Dillon, given he'll be entering his 5th season and he also spent 3 years in college. Maybe I'm overlooking someone, but I can't think of many players fitting that profile that really changed much as a player from their 4th to 5th season. Continued emphasis on efficiency though and trying to cut down on the fouls would be good "tasks" for him to focus on though.

On Dillon, it's clear in these playoffs that the guy can actually score pretty well. He's averaging 25.5 points per game, on over 50% from the field. He doesn't have to score that much all the time, but if he can be consistently efficient next year, then he should be able to be a 20ppg guy. He's kind of turned himself into a Khris Middleton type guy. Not super athletic or anything, just knows how to get to his spots and make shots. 

Justise may or may not be back, but he's better than what he has been this year. Even if he doesn't get back to his best basketball, his career averages are far more efficient than he was this year. More efficient, plus the defense, rebounding, and passing he can bring are nice to have off the bench. I'm fine if they decline the option, search the market, and bring him back (on a more reasonable contract) if they don't find anyone else. I think that's the right play to make. An actual offseason to work on his game and build chemistry with his teammates would go a long way.