chipc3

Utah Jazz @ Memphis Grizzlies 5/29/31

2 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

He sounds pretty unhappy and disappointed to me

Of course he does, why wouldn't he be? His team just lost a playoff game and he's been underwhelming the entire series. 

My statement meant that his dressing and body language shows he is not all about basketball. He does not have the all or nothing type fire of a KG or Kobe who looks ****** off after a loss. From the 4:14 - 4:20 mark he was adjusting his hair to make himself look presentable instead of concentrating on the question. He acts like that's always tomorrow so that's no sense of urgency. 

In contrast go look at DB's interview. He was running his hands through his hair too, but more in frustration. 

6 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

One example that the TV cameras don’t show is things that occur in the building during commercial breaks.

Grizz changing his uniform at the beginning of the fourth. He comes back out as Super Grizz. Last night he came off the top ‘rope’ and sent a Jazz fan through a table. (Memphis has always loved our wrasslin’). 

He also went up a ladder to the top deck, moved over to a cherry picker, rode that to almost the top of the building, waited for effect, DJ Mic Tee dropped Whoop That Trick , Super Grizz unfurled the longest banner that I have seen and is said WHOOP THAT TRICK!

We see all that in the international league pass feed. It's awesome.

However I'm not so fond of the wrasslin' bit in the playoffs. I mean, not the sending the Jazz heel through a table, but the fact that they were showcasing his ugly mug in. Every. Single. Break.

On my opinion and based on last games,Ja does improve quite well in defense too. I'm ow pretty sure he can be a decent defender if he want too. He got so much talent that there is nothing he can't do. I like to way he play right now. If he keep playiong like this he will be a superstar .

15 hours ago, tobyoneal said:

I respect Dillion’s defense but this is cheap just like the head butt. Y’all said it was in fun and friendship. I disagree. 

You calling a playful headbutt "cheap" says all we need to know.

As for the physical exchange 10 feet from an observing ref, that's been explained but here's another take. This was probably soon after one of Mike's flops. What you are seeing is a young player disgusted with one of his mentors.

We'll take physical over flopper any day, although with the success of teams like the Jazz, folks may be forced to flop to flourish. Its another reason for disgust.

I didn’t even think the head butt was intentional. It looked like he was just starting to move/defend (just leading with his head) and that’s what happened, looked like to me anyways.

9 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

He still cares more about his threads and hair then the game. 

Really? Have you seen folks like James Hardin, LeBron James, Russel Westbrook, etc. at post playoff game press conferences? Its just a NBA thing to try to be "stylish" like that. That's what they do. It's not a commentary on how much they care about the game. Incredible the hate JJJ gets on here from some folks. 

11 hours ago, The J Crew said:

And we would be trading ridiculously low on Jaren right now. I just don't see this front office selling Jaren for 50 cents on the dollar. 

He's not being moved any time soon. The only scenario that I would consider trying to move him is if he demanded a max extension. Jaren would have to show that he can play the majority of a season and reduce his fouls and up his points and rebounds for a season before even entertaining that imho. If he tries t play hardball while continuing to sit long stretches of the season, then I would get tough

2 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Really? Have you seen folks like James Hardin, LeBron James, Russel Westbrook, etc. at post playoff game press conferences? Its just a NBA thing to try to be "stylish" like that. That's what they do. It's not a commentary on how much they care about the game. Incredible the hate JJJ gets on here from some folks. 

Harden, LeBron, Westbrook? 

When JJJ starts winning MVPs he can wear his underwear on his head and I'd applaud him. 

Right now he's not shown any desire to be great. He has the physicals and talent of a game changing unicorn type player, but not the mental toughness or BBIQ of one. 

I had and still have high hopes for him, but he is going into his fourth year next season and trending towards an average to good big not a franchise carrying big the likes of KG, The Dream or The Joker. 

“On Saturday, Josh Tiven became the 2nd official in the last six years to call at least 10 fouls on one team while not calling a single foul against the other.” - NBA Refs Stats on Twitter.

When a ref becomes the story he has failed in his job.

59 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

“On Saturday, Josh Tiven became the 2nd official in the last six years to call at least 10 fouls on one team while not calling a single foul against the other.” - NBA Refs Stats on Twitter.

When a ref becomes the story he has failed in his job.

Right.

I yelled that the whole game…

We paid good money to watch the players play … not to see the reffs.

one thing that is very worrying is there are some calls that are sooo bad that the reffs may have missed it in real time… these are world class athletes, they can get things hopping quick.

but

when the jumbotron has time to replay the call - from multiple angles , that clearly have enough proof that a bad call was made / missed then  there should be a sky reff that can correct it.

without taking too much time away from the game’s rhythm 

2 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

Harden, LeBron, Westbrook? 

When JJJ starts winning MVPs he can wear his underwear on his head and I'd applaud him. 

Right now he's not shown any desire to be great. He has the physicals and talent of a game changing unicorn type player, but not the mental toughness or BBIQ of one. 

I had and still have high hopes for him, but he is going into his fourth year next season and trending towards an average to good big not a franchise carrying big the likes of KG, The Dream or The Joker. 

Really his 3rd due to injury and he looked pretty good last year before injury.  Judging a very young player coming off an injury and only playing 11 games is a bit of a stretch. Heck anyone would look out of sorts coming off that. I do agree his body language is immature but ummmm, mist 21 year old are very immature.  Even Kobe said some wild stuff.

17 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Well in season 2 he was vgood but the team had Chancun and Temple and was terrible.

In season 3 he was even better, but we got Ja, Marc's moods were no longer present and we won more games and made the play-in where Jaren was awesome until he got injured, and we lost.

To change your question around slightly, if Jaren was right now 20ppg/7rebs and we were in the same position as now, would there be another scapegoat? And who would that be?

If Jaren were 20/7 we'd be up 3-0

7 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Right.

I yelled that the whole game…

We paid good money to watch the players play … not to see the reffs.

one thing that is very worrying is there are some calls that are sooo bad that the reffs may have missed it in real time… these are world class athletes, they can get things hopping quick.

but

when the jumbotron has time to replay the call - from multiple angles , that clearly have enough proof that a bad call was made / missed then  there should be a sky reff that can correct it.

without taking too much time away from the game’s rhythm 

I agree but when the league wants an outcome what makes you believe they’ll use that power correctly? 

3 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

If Jaren were 20/7 we'd be up 3-0

I would be happy to see Jaren just be capable of averaging 20 points and 7 rebounds in a series much less a season. 

50 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I agree but when the league wants an outcome what makes you believe they’ll use that power correctly? 

I would be happy to see Jaren just be capable of averaging 20 points and 7 rebounds in a series much less a season. 

Lol, he can do the 20 part not sure about the rebounds. Although if he shows as much fight as he did last game that may be different 

On 5/30/2021 at 7:12 AM, toocoolkellz said:

If JJJ at least shows on the pnr, his job is done. Them getting a lob or fighting fir an offensive rebound is better than them walking into uncontested 3 pointers. Which one hurts you worse 2 or 3? I'm not saying put Jaren at the 5 I'm saying change the scheme on how you defend the 3. If Rudy gets a lob so what, he is not the one to singlehandedly best you off lobs

I won't disagree that they need to change the scheme on how they defend the 3 or the PnR, I'm just saying IMO JJJ can not be relied on to defend Gobert.  Really JV is just defending the way he has been told to defend, he is not showing on the PnR because that's not how they are defending it... He is getting caught trying to drop back into the paint on the PnR then gets caught in no-mans land... I think it's on Jenkins to try something different.

Bottom line it that the Jazz run the PnR really well and it is difficult to defend regardless of how you do it, you are going to give up something... but at this point I agree, we need to give up 2's and see how it ends up.

On 5/30/2021 at 8:38 AM, Blackwatch said:

That's the point, Gobert getting a few lobs is not why the Grizz are losing nor why some are calling for JJJ to start at the 5. JV is getting abused in the PnR because he can't show on the guards. The guards are getting wide open on the 3 and they are knocking them down. If the Grizz bigs can show better on the guards, then the Jazz will lose. I'd rather have Gobert score 20 pts and the Jazz hit 12 of 47 on 3 like in Game 1, than to have Gobert score 12 pts and the Jazz hit 19 3's because JV can't show on the guards in the PnR. Gobert is not a scoring threat on the low block (besides lobs).  

Put JJJ in at the 5 and have him show on the PnR and you lose by 20+... Yeah they may make a few less 3's but the Jazz, not just Gobert will have 50+ pts on second chance points because JJJ will be out with the guard watching the Jazz rebound on the offensive boards.

And JJJ doesn't move his feet well enough to make much of a difference on the PnR... JMO

On 5/30/2021 at 7:07 AM, toocoolkellz said:

How do you think he got behind his man, than ran the pnr at the top of the key over and over bro

I think he gets behind his man because he doesn't move his feet well on defense and is always trailing, PnR or just taking the head fake.

19 hours ago, grizlsg said:

I think he gets behind his man because he doesn't move his feet well on defense and is always trailing, PnR or just taking the head fake.

They ran the pnr over and over. In a pnr the wing is going to be trailing the ball handler, its the bigs job to force the ball handler to turn the corner

19 hours ago, grizlsg said:

Put JJJ in at the 5 and have him show on the PnR and you lose by 20+... Yeah they may make a few less 3's but the Jazz, not just Gobert will have 50+ pts on second chance points because JJJ will be out with the guard watching the Jazz rebound on the offensive boards.

And JJJ doesn't move his feet well enough to make much of a difference on the PnR... JMO

Ummmmmmmmmm 

On 6/2/2021 at 9:29 AM, toocoolkellz said:

They ran the pnr over and over. In a pnr the wing is going to be trailing the ball handler, its the bigs job to force the ball handler to turn the corner

I'll be interested to see how Utah runs the PNR against the Clippers. The reason the PNR has been around since the beginning of basketball is because it is so hard to defend when run properly. The Clippers have Kawhi and Paul George to defend on the perimeter so I doubt the Jazz will get as many calls or as many open looks. 

19 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I'll be interested to see how Utah runs the PNR against the Clippers. The reason the PNR has been around since the beginning of basketball is because it is so hard to defend when run properly. The Clippers have Kawhi and Paul George to defend on the perimeter so I doubt the Jazz will get as many calls or as many open looks. 

Luka killed the Clippers on pick and rolls last series and in the regular season the Clippers were the worst team in the NBA at defending the pick and roll.  https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/ball-handler/?SeasonType=Regular Season&sort=PPP&dir=1&TypeGrouping=defensive

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

As am I! I also think they're a better team as far as wing defense from top to bottom as us. They have 3 good defenders on the wing, but no one to really stop Rudy.  Even still I don't think Rudy could really carry a team alone so that might be their strategy. 

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I think they eventually go with the Batum and Morris frontcourt in crunch time or when needing momentum.  With one of them guarding Gobert a switch can be made if needed.  Hide Jackson on Oneale or Bodganovic since they arent pnr threats they wont get caught on Gobert on a switch.  Then they just have to gang rebound to get Gobert off the o glass.

3 hours ago, kevofrommempho said:

Luka killed the Clippers on pick and rolls last series and in the regular season the Clippers were the worst team in the NBA at defending the pick and roll.  https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/ball-handler/?SeasonType=Regular Season&sort=PPP&dir=1&TypeGrouping=defensive

Luka went nuts the whole series.

As for the PnR … it is a staple play.

But to see it run with legit 7 foot threats that can pop and hit a 3 in your eye or roll and smash one in your face … 

The Clippers …ugh.

With PG and Kawahi - should be shutting people down. The numbers don’t show that though… what gives? Two top notch defenders that suck at pnr defense?

The only reason the Clippers advance over the Mavs is because Coach finally decided to have Kawahi tag Luka. (And Luka STILL went off).

Clippers are paper tigers

6 hours ago, Dwash said:

I think they eventually go with the Batum and Morris frontcourt in crunch time or when needing momentum.  With one of them guarding Gobert a switch can be made if needed.  Hide Jackson on Oneale or Bodganovic since they arent pnr threats they wont get caught on Gobert on a switch.  Then they just have to gang rebound to get Gobert off the o glass.

I am wondering if they just use PG13 and Kawhi at the guard spots with Batum/Morris and another forward/big on the front line.  

A Paul George/Kawhi back court could go along way to blowing up the Conley/Gobert pick and rolls -- and also take away or effectively neutralize Donovan Mitchell's high octane scoring.  

If I am the Clips I might just rotate Ibaka and Patrick Patterson at the 5.  Use Zubac against Favors or something like that...

Clips can use their smaller guards to attack the Jazz' bench pieces.

The Clippers need to use Kawhi and PG13 like Jordan and Pippen.  That might be their best path to a title.