Ace-is-high

Jaren Jackson the X factor

1 hour ago, lions said:

he needs to work with Kevin Garnet this off season then we will see what he is made of 

As well as do some work  with Hakem

JJJ needs to do a lot of work with people who understand more than just three point shooting.

JJJ needs to show lots of improvement next season. At the very least ability to STAY ON THE FLOOR! 

The bust label is hanging all over him like his lazy reach in fouls. 

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

JJJ needs to do a lot of work with people who understand more than just three point shooting.

I'm hoping he doesn't turn into our version of Porzingis. An oft injured "unicorn" big with a humongous contract who relies on the 3 too much and has basically no inside game but at least Porzingis rebounds at a higher rate.

39 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I'm hoping he doesn't turn into our version of Porzingis. An oft injured "unicorn" big with a humongous contract who relies on the 3 too much and has basically no inside game but at least Porzingis rebounds at a higher rate.

Are unicorns a dying breed?  Maybe.

Jaren might need to be Embiid Lite.  Although he wasn’t why we lost to Utah.  JV didn’t have a great series either and our bench guys didn’t show up.  

So it’s Ja/DB/JJJ.  So it’s Luka/THJ/KP.  If those guys are gonna be who they are then those teams need to add more pieces/weapons.  Then these teams can’t overpay Clarke or fall in love with Dwight Powell — man we basically have the same pieces or at least we could switch role players and it would take six months for others to figure it out.  

I also saw that Mavs started BOTH KP and Boban.  Didn’t watch the game nor most of the series but it looks like both guys have positives/negatives but, just like our series, the whole “twin towers” thing didn’t work.  

Of the young gun teams it looks like the Hawks built the best team — and I never liked the Reddish and Okungwu picks (and still don’t).  

The Pelicans actually have solid pieces but Zion might be harder to build around than Trae or Luka or Ja.  Maybe the Hornets and T Wolves take notes on how to build around LaMelo and Edwards respectively.  

And if I am the OKC Thunder maybe I sell “high” on Poku on draft night.  

10 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

JJJ needs to step up his game to be a Porzingis. 

On 6/5/2021 at 6:20 PM, lions said:

he needs to work with Kevin Garnet this off season then we will see what he is made of 

I was watching a game recently and the commentators were talking about a coach from another team who has set something up for his young big to work out with KG this summer, don't remember who the team/coach/young big were but it sounds like KG may be booked already.

EDIT, now that I think about it it might not have been a game I was watching, it might have been an article I was reading about James Wiseman's development. I think it was Kerr/Wiseman.

2 minutes ago, KyleB said:

I was watching a game recently and the commentators were talking about a coach from another team who has set something up for his young big to work out with KG this summer, don't remember who the team/coach/young big were but it sounds like KG may be booked already.

I believe two guys can work out at the same time with a coach. However I can see JJJ using that as an excuse for not working out with KG. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

I believe two guys can work out at the same time with a coach. However I can see JJJ using that as an excuse for not working out with KG. 

KG was a huge JJJ fan his rookie season, I saw many positive comments he made about JJJ so if they could work something out I'm all for it and I think KG would be too.

15 minutes ago, KyleB said:

KG was a huge JJJ fan his rookie season, I saw many positive comments he made about JJJ so if they could work something out I'm all for it and I think KG would be too.

The question is does JJJ want to work out that hard? 

45 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Agreed. This idea that KG wants to spend a lot of time with JJJ, and that a 4th year pro still needs to be taught how to play is a bit of a stretch, imo. Is anybody still teaching basics to Luka or Trae or Ja?

The T'Wolves traded Thad Young for KG in Feb of '15 so KG could finish his career in Minny and mentor the young guys that year and the next. The T'Wolves went 45-119 those two seasons. Marc mentored the hell out of Deyonta Davis. 

It's really up to Jaren at this point. This isn't quantum physics. I believe it was the Hollinger & Duncan pod last week, and Duncan was saying how Jaren never boxes out. Like never. Said something like "His *** is never on another guys body." Other stuff too that has been discussed here many times.

I'm sure every HS, AAU coach, Tom Izzo and all the coaches for the Grizz and Marc Gasol and JV have worked with Jaren on boxing out for a rebound. 

11 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Agreed. This idea that KG wants to spend a lot of time with JJJ, and that a 4th year pro still needs to be taught how to play is a bit of a stretch, imo.

"I love working with him" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c-PBGo6OJE 

https://youtu.be/nst6YHyi3y4

There are a bunch of other videos but I couldn't find non-FaceBook links for them.

12 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Miss the point much? 

It’s up to Jaren now. 

Didn't miss the point at all. In the text I quoted, you questioned whether KG would want to spend time with Jaren. Try to keep up. Of course it's up to Jaren now, but if he wants to work out with KG this summer I don't see any reason to believe KG wouldn't be up for it.

48 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

It's really up to Jaren at this point. This isn't quantum physics. I believe it was the Hollinger & Duncan pod last week, and Duncan was saying how Jaren never boxes out. Like never. Said something like "His *** is never on another guys body." Other stuff too that has been discussed here many times.

I'm sure every HS, AAU coach, Tom Izzo and all the coaches for the Grizz and Marc Gasol and JV have worked with Jaren on boxing out for a rebound. 

this is scary. being gifted does not exclude one from the fundamentals of the game. it enhances the fundamentals.

...sitting at the poker table boys..

slim.

14 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Didn't miss the point at all. In the text I quoted, you questioned whether KG would want to spend time with Jaren. Try to keep up. Of course it's up to Jaren now, but if he wants to work out with KG this summer I don't see any reason to believe KG wouldn't be up for it.

Oh, I keep up fine, thanks. I said "a lot of time". Thinking KG spending a few minutes here and there with Jaren will help Jaren learn when he has been taught the basics constantly is a fools errand, imo. Has KG helping Jaren worked any so far?

I would go in the exact opposite direction. Say to Jaren, no more kid gloves, we're not going to baby you in your 4th off season. Figure it out. Tell us how we can help you become the player you have the talent to be. 

13 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

this is scary. being gifted does not exclude one from the fundamentals of the game. it enhances the fundamentals.

...sitting at the poker table boys..

slim.

I actually think he lacks the top end athleticism, explosiveness, freakish motor, and alpha dog mentality of a KG -- so he NEEDS to really work on the fundamentals.  If he is gonna be a winner and a future HOFer then he needs to master the basics a la Tim Duncan.  He needs to take bits and pieces from Tim Duncan... and Joel Embiid another non-alpha dog with an immense toolbox who is putting it all together.  I also think he should at least get the classic big man mentality who isn't afraid to post up (and who lives in the paint).  Maybe he can borrow some stuff from Olajuwon.  Some stuff from McHale (another goofy, second banana type).  3 and D Kevin McHale Lite with shades of Hakeem/Embiid/Duncan gets us AT LEAST two championships.

7 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I actually think he lacks the top end athleticism, explosiveness, freakish motor, and alpha dog mentality of a KG -- so he NEEDS to really work on the fundamentals.  If he is gonna be a winner and a future HOFer then he needs to master the basics a la Tim Duncan.  He needs to take bits and pieces from Tim Duncan... and Joel Embiid another non-alpha dog with an immense toolbox who is putting it all together.  I also think he should at least get the classic big man mentality who isn't afraid to post up (and who lives in the paint).  Maybe he can borrow some stuff from Olajuwon.  Some stuff from McHale (another goofy, second banana type).  3 and D Kevin McHale Lite with shades of Hakeem/Embiid/Duncan gets us AT LEAST two championships.

Alt Grind, I hope we're comparing Jaren to Duncan or Hakeem or McHale at some point. Or even Embiid. 

7 hours ago, chipc3 said:

JJJ needs to step up his game to be a Porzingis. 

Maybe but people in Dallas are trying to run Porzingis out of town right now and blaming him for the 1st round loss and to a lesser extent blaming Carlisle.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I'm not sure if there is any evidence that he doesn't work out hard. I do feel he may have diverse interests. Interestingly enough Calkins and Herrington talked about that this morning on Calkins show and they also mentioned, this will be the first time JJJ will be healthy going into the offseason since he was drafted. At the end of his first year, he had an injury which Herrington said he has since confirmed that JJJ was injured enough to not play. He said he thought like many others that the team just sat him out but apparently, it was a weird injury and he truthfully and honestly could not play and it affected his working out after his first season. Then obviously, he blew his meniscus in teh bubble and couldn't do anything after his second season. So this will be the first time he is fully healthy and will have an off-season to improve.

Just now, The J Crew said:

Alt Grind, I hope we're comparing Jaren to Duncan or Hakeem at some point. Or Embiid. 

That would be really, really good.  I am keeping my hopes up.  He doesn't strike me as a KG type.  We are better off hyping Ja Morant as a 6'2ish KG (he has that mentality and explosiveness).

Jaren just isn't that kind of athlete.  Doesn't have that mentality either.  

Yet, Duncan and McHale and even Olajuwon have more titles than KG.  

Or, heck, learn something from Juwan Howard.  Jaren is probably on that level in terms of talent/skill/mentality athleticism even if the tool box isn't a 100% match.

22/8/2/2/1 might optimize Jaren Jackson Jr.'s production. No, I don't want him to mega-dominate the ball like he is the Luka Doncic of combo forwards yet he also needs to do more than jack 3's.  55/40/80 with 22/8/2/2/1 as a goofy sidekick turns him into 3 and D Kevin McHale Lite.  

2 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Maybe but people in Dallas are trying to run Porzingis out of town right now and blaming him for the 1st round loss and to a lesser extent blaming Carlisle.

I'm not sure if there is any evidence that he doesn't work out hard. I do feel he may have diverse interests. Interestingly enough Calkins and Herrington talked about that this morning on Calkins show and they also mentioned, this will be the first time JJJ will be healthy going into the offseason since he was drafted. At the end of his first year, he had an injury which Herrington said he has since confirmed that JJJ was injured enough to not play. He said he thought like many others that the team just sat him out but apparently, it was a weird injury and he truthfully and honestly could not play and it affected his working out after his first season. Then obviously, he blew his meniscus in teh bubble and couldn't do anything after his second season. So this will be the first time he is fully healthy and will have an off-season to improve.

I've been saying this for months. It was the same quad injury that Kawhi had that heals slowly. But some are convinced we didn't play him to tank, even though we won 33 games that season, and most definitely weren't trying to tank.

I hope that theory is right. But I'm skeptical. To me, his problems are more mental than physical. 

3 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

That would be really, really good.  I am keeping my hopes up.  He doesn't strike me as a KG type.  We are better off hyping Ja Morant as a 6'2ish KG (he has that mentality and explosiveness).

Jaren just isn't that kind of athlete.  Doesn't have that mentality either.  

Yet, Duncan and McHale and even Olajuwon have more titles than KG.  

Or, heck, learn something from Juwan Howard.  Jaren is probably on that level in terms of talent/skill/mentality athleticism even if the tool box isn't a 100% match.

22/8/2/2/1 might optimize Jaren Jackson Jr.'s production. No, I don't want him to mega-dominate the ball like he is the Luka Doncic of combo forwards yet he also needs to do more than jack 3's.  55/40/80 with 22/8/2/2/1 as a goofy sidekick turns him into 3 and D Kevin McHale Lite.  

The mentality is my concern. Don't think he is a killer like Ja and Dillon. He was just always bigger than his peers, and his dad was a professional athlete. Might have been too easy for Jaren. Hard to turn on the switch now. 

6 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Is Christian Laettner a good comp for Jaren Jackson, Jr.?

Christian Laettner is never a good comparison for anyone. 

I disagree that he doesn't box out, he just happens to box out in the dumbest ways usually. Against bigger guys he loves to face guard/ put his chest into theirs and face away from the basket. Seems like he would rather box out and let someone else get the rebound then get it himself. The problem is, that's usually a foul, particularly if the opposing player is actually going hard for the ball. 

Either way though, he rebounding improved in the regular season by a fair amount, largely because he spend a lot less time playing next to JV. That mostly changed in the playoffs though, as he spent probably most of his time at PF, at least the first few games.