Grizzled Vet

Prediction: The outcome for the Grizzlies in the play-in tournament will be....

Prediction: The outcome for the Grizzlies in the play-in tournament will be....  

33 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. The outcome for the Memphis Grizzlies in the play-in tournament:

• First game loss to Spurs
    • Victory over Spurs; loss to Warriors/Lakers loser
    • Make NBA playoffs as the #8 seed
  2. 2. For Q2: The winner of the Lakers v Warriors will be

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/19/21 at 11:34 PM

2 part question:

How does the play-in tournament end for the Grizzlies?

2nd part is there because there may be those who believe that the Grizzlies game 2 option could come down to who is actually playing.  Maybe someone believes that after winning the first game, a matchup with the Lakers means a loss, but a rematch with the Warriors would end differently this time (maybe because McDermott is over his foot soreness).

1336362_landscape-784x441.jpg

They should let Utah pick their opponent after this whole tourney. That would be more fair, IMO. 

I voted the grizz win on Wed but that is certainly no given. I give us low chances of making the actual field :(

I think Grizzlies would beat the Warriors if they played a 2nd game, but I have strong doubts they will get past Spurs, and I realize I could be 100% wrong in that.

Plus this is well done.

We don't have enough experience players and coaches.

And this how you get some.

We’re gonna beat the Spurs but the league isn’t going to let us beat Curry or Lebron and have them out of the playoffs 

If we beat SA do we have to beat the loser of the 7/8 game twice to get in? Or is it just once? 

1 minute ago, Zappastache said:

If we beat SA do we have to beat the loser of the 7/8 game twice to get in? Or is it just once? 

Once.

1 minute ago, Zappastache said:

As J Crew said, just once

The thing I don't like about the play-in game is that 1 of the #7 or #8 plays a #9 or #10 in essentially a 1 game playoff format for the 8 seed.

Yes, 7 or 8 have to lose twice, and yes 9 or 10 have to lose twice, but it is a 100% guarantee that either the 7 or 8 will lose that first game, against either the 9 or 10.  It isn't like 7 playing 10 having only to win 1 of 2 games, but it is, in essence a 1 game playoff for that spot.

However, I understand why they don't do 7 v 10 and 8 v 9 in a format where 7 or 8 only have to win 1 game and 9 or 10 have to win two.  It's a TV event, and the format guarantees that there will be exactly 3 games in the WC, and 3 games from the EC.  The 7 v 10 and 8 v 9 format wouldn't have had that guarantee of exactly 6 games over 4 days.

I'd be more confident in the next game if it wasnt the Spurs. Pop is a wily old fox.

Dam Spurs always messin' with our history

11 hours ago, Allen said:

We’re gonna beat the Spurs but the league isn’t going to let us beat Curry or Lebron and have them out of the playoffs 

That's my concern as well. I m afraid if we win the one against Spurs , we may play against the Fakers who will ended getting 40 FT against 10 for us  to make sure they go into PO.. Tha'ts why i do hope GWS win .

17 hours ago, Zappastache said:

If we beat SA do we have to beat the loser of the 7/8 game

and the prize for this is -> the privilege of facing the #1 seeded team that’s good and rested.

easy road !

???

I hope they beat the Spurs but I think the odds are 50/50 at best.

If they do somehow beat the Spurs, I don't see them beating the Warriors or Lakers unless that team has significant injuries with key players out. 

32 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I hope they beat the Spurs but I think the odds are 50/50 at best.

If they do somehow beat the Spurs, I don't see them beating the Warriors or Lakers unless that team has significant injuries with key players out. 

We'd need a hot shooting night is all. bane and brooks just be hitting

2 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

That's the scary thing about this league now, such reliance on 3 point shooting, these games can switch pretty easy.

I don't think they need a hot shooting night to beat either team.  They just can't have a horrible shooting night from 3, like 24% in the game vs. the Warriors.

Of course, if someone like Steph is just going off, there just might be nights you can't win.

I think they manhandle the Spurs, get a lil overconfident n lose to the Dubs again. Hoping otherwise of course.

For the heck of it. Lakers beat Warriors, Pacers beat Hornets,  Wizards lose to the Celtics but then beat the Indy for the 8th seed in East 

I am very excited about the game tonight! BUT I know after we beat the spurs I dont think it gets any better for us. 

16 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

That's easier said than done. Also, a lot of teams have more hot shooting nights than we do. I heard an interesting stat. Dallas had the HIGHEST offensive efficiency rating in NBA history last year......this year, 7 teams EXCEEDED that efficiency rating which means their record setting rating from last year has now been eclipsed by 7 teams. We're not one of those teams. It's not like the Spurs are offensive juggernauts either but they do have Pop and DeRozan (who has extensive playoff experience).

5 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I am very excited about the game tonight! BUT I know after we beat the spurs I dont think it gets any better for us. 

Does it ever for this team? Seems like every big win is followed by an equally or greater difficulty.

The Grizzlies have played more games since March 10th than any team in history. They went 5-0 in 7 days, something that has never happened before in NBA history and what did they get after that stretch? A road game against Curry's Warriors in a must win situation. 

The team has accomplished amazing things but in the Western Conference there is no such thing as a day off.  

One reason to want to play the warriors again is because it gives the coaching staff and team an opportunity to make playoff-like adjustments

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

One reason to want to play the warriors again is because it gives the coaching staff and team an opportunity to make playoff-like adjustments

Exactly. I bet we won't see any full bench lineup again. 

3 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Exactly. I bet we won't see any full bench lineup again. 

I hope not. 

Congrats to the legendary 5 posters who correctly picked the outcome of the Grizzlies in this play in tournament.

And to the rest... shame on you

4 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Congrats to the legendary 5 posters who correctly picked the outcome of the Grizzlies in this play in tournament.

And to the rest... shame on you

I feel dirty