Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

San Antonio Spurs @ Memphis Grizzlies - 5/19/21

Recommended Posts

Just now, The J Crew said:

Yeah, I just posted in the other thread. The very injured Pacers are teaching the inexperienced Hornets a lesson. Nothing like playoff intensity to see who can play, and how much better a young team needs to be. 

And Sabonis has 2 points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2021 at 4:06 PM, lions said:

if the Grizzlies loss i will be very DISPORTANT 

Google translate doesn't recognize that dialect.   Where is it from? ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The J Crew said:

And Sabonis has 2 points. 

I think he finished with 14 points and 21 boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

I think he finished with 14 points and 21 boards.

Yep. He played well. What a dominant performance for a Pacer team missing 3 starters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Google translate doesn't recognize that dialect.   Where is it from? ?

 

Still waiting from our Friend I LOVE JV to correct me. Have Not see him for almost a WEEK  Hoping He is  WELL .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2021 at 10:07 AM, Grizzled Vet said:

Revenge games for the following:
Rudy Gay, Gorgui Dieng, Kyle Anderson, Taylor Jenkins, Tre Jones (for something his older brother did to him probably), and the ghosts of DeMarre Carroll, Tyler Zeller, Dante Cunningham, Pau Gasol, JaMychal Green and Quincy Pondexter).

 

???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

So beyond Dillon on Derozan …

Pop vs Coach Jenkins…

What’s the plan?

For one, put some decent screens on Patty Mills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

So beyond Dillon on Derozan …

Pop vs Coach Jenkins…

What’s the plan?

Feed Jonas in the paint. Feed Jonas in the paint. Feed Jonas in the paint. 

Don't settle for the easy threes. They are fool's gold and exactly what San Antonio wants you to do. Feed the ball down low and pound them into submission. Poetl and Dieng won't be able to stop him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • We had a lot of success in the pick-and-roll, however that was when Aldridge was on the team for them. Without him, those pick-and-rolls now involve a more agile defender in either Keldon Johnson or Poeltl - still worth exploiting but something to keep an eye on and we'll see if Ja is as effective.
  • DeRozan is key to what they do, but he operates more in the mid-range than just about every other "star" in the NBA - this will take a bit of discipline on defense, but I think we can give him more looks than just rely on DB to chase him around screens.
  • Keep an eye on Mills - think he's been in a slump lately, but if he starts raining threes they can blow the game open with one of our sadly typical runs where we go ice cold and we can't buy a stop. To chip's point, USE JONAS. If they're going on a run, the answer isn't to keep chucking threes, it's to work inside out through JV and attack the basket.
  • Execute in the half-court. Spurs are disciplined and won't have as many of the turnovers that often fuel our fast break points and mask some of our issues in the half court. When we do get fast break opportunities, we must execute. When we have to operate in the half-court, let's take care of the ball, run the offense, and utilize our advantages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Feed Jonas in the paint. Feed Jonas in the paint. Feed Jonas in the paint. 

Early and often.

 

50 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Don't settle for the easy threes. They are fool's gold and exactly what San Antonio wants you to do.

Pops coached teams execute. Methodically.

If he knows he can’t get in - he will lure YOU out. 

I love watching 3s fall just as much as the next guy but - I like ball movement probing for the best look even more. 
 

Quick trigger 3s have got to be reeled in QUICKLY. (especially when we hit that cold spell.)  Swing the ball … no way JV should go possession after possession without even touching the ball. Made 2s are worth more than missed 3s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hat tip @ACGrizz

Reads like a good, detailed scouting report.

I have one more to add… defense.

Read the reffs and adjust -> QUICKLY.

Pops can work the referees- Coach Jenkins… not so much… well - not at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:
  • We had a lot of success in the pick-and-roll, however that was when Aldridge was on the team for them. Without him, those pick-and-rolls now involve a more agile defender in either Keldon Johnson or Poeltl - still worth exploiting but something to keep an eye on and we'll see if Ja is as effective.
  • DeRozan is key to what they do, but he operates more in the mid-range than just about every other "star" in the NBA - this will take a bit of discipline on defense, but I think we can give him more looks than just rely on DB to chase him around screens.
  • Keep an eye on Mills - think he's been in a slump lately, but if he starts raining threes they can blow the game open with one of our sadly typical runs where we go ice cold and we can't buy a stop. To chip's point, USE JONAS. If they're going on a run, the answer isn't to keep chucking threes, it's to work inside out through JV and attack the basket.
  • Execute in the half-court. Spurs are disciplined and won't have as many of the turnovers that often fuel our fast break points and mask some of our issues in the half court. When we do get fast break opportunities, we must execute. When we have to operate in the half-court, let's take care of the ball, run the offense, and utilize our advantages.

See the source image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Hat tip @ACGrizz

Reads like a good, detailed scouting report.

I have one more to add… defense.

Read the reffs and adjust -> QUICKLY.

Pops can work the referees- Coach Jenkins… not so much… well - not at all.

 

Thanks, Toke - I've found I actually really enjoy doing this before the games. If there's an appetite for discussing this type of thing more in-depth before each game (and then reevaluating how the performance in each game matched up against what we discussed), I'll make more of an effort to do this before key games next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pop is going to trick up the defense tonight. While we traveled to Golden State, the Spurs have known for days that they would have us in the play in.  I agree with the sentiment to feed Jonas, but Pop is going to play 10 feet off of Ja, double team and front Jonas, and beg Ja, and to a lesser extent Kyle, to shoot. Spurs defenders are young and long, they will clog the passing lanes and make Ja shoot over them on drives. The lane is going to look like a rugby scrum. 

We simply have to hit some outside shots tonight, make their defenders play honest, or the season is going to end with a big thud. 

While the Spurs have lost 10 of 12, they played a crazy hard schedule down the stretch. And the Spurs are a good road team, 19-17 on the year. And 8! games under .500 at home. Remember when it seemed impossible to win in San Antonio?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Quick trigger 3s have got to be reeled in QUICKLY. (especially when we hit that cold spell.)  Swing the ball … no way JV should go possession after possession without even touching the ball. Made 2s are worth more than missed 3s.

I can't say this loud enough. I hate it when "shooting 3's" is translated into "chuck a 3 as soon as you're within three feet from the line". You can get away with that if you're Steph Curry, but unless you're able to hit 40% or more of your uncontested 3's the fact that you are allowed to shoot them isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Of the defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Pop is going to trick up the defense tonight. While we traveled to Golden State, the Spurs have known for days that they would have us in the play in.  I agree with the sentiment to feed Jonas, but Pop is going to play 10 feet off of Ja, double team and front Jonas, and beg Ja, and to a lesser extent Kyle, to shoot. Spurs defenders are young and long, they will clog the passing lanes and make Ja shoot over them on drives. The lane is going to look like a rugby scrum. 

We simply have to hit some outside shots tonight, make their defenders play honest, or the season is going to end with a big thud. 

While the Spurs have lost 10 of 12, they played a crazy hard schedule down the stretch. And the Spurs are a good road team, 19-17 on the year. And 8! games under .500 at home. Remember when it seemed impossible to win in San Antonio?

 

Pops has also been resting key players as much as possible over the last three weeks. He picked the games where he knew he needed to win, and those were the only games where he played a tight rotation.  On the others, he played everybody on the bench to try and minimize wear and tear, resting different people each night. 

Jenkins needs to determine who has it on our side early and go to them until Pops adjusts, then make his own adjustments.  Bench players need to come in on point or be ready to sit pretty quickly so Jenkins can try someone else. There's 13 people in uniform tonight, so every single one of them need to be ready to go.  Pick the best thirteen who show they are ready during shoot-around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big point tho - Jenkins knows most of the Popovich book of tricks. 

Pops, meanwhile, will probably go in for the pregame not-handshake and say, "Are you ready, Grasshopper?"    The correct answer, "I am ready, sensei."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want everyone to know, that I did a pretty tough Ab workout yesterday, and I'm listing myself as questionable as well for viewing tonight's game for the same reason given for Grayson Allen 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this