fanboyslim

There's an issue the coaches are not addressing

45 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

i was not one of the people upset about the trade for winslow.  Winslow was known as a really good defender and showed that even in his brief stint with Grizz.   That is where my rational is coming from. 

I’m also in that camp (kinda).  Although I didn’t really like the trade.  But I saw the rationale.  Can’t shoot but solid on defense and he can rebound.  So there’s that... he’s also not a point guard but we can probably use him as a Point 4 off the bench or at least a secondary playmaker.  He might be a “matchup” guy where he is really important in some games and near useless in others.  I also think that he’s not in game shape.  ... I have no idea what he’s worth on the open market.  Probably not near $13 million.  We did the trade last year and probably understand the trade LESS at this point (either good or bad).

24 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I’m also in that camp (kinda).  Although I didn’t really like the trade.  But I saw the rationale.  Can’t shoot but solid on defense and he can rebound.  So there’s that... he’s also not a point guard but we can probably use him as a Point 4 off the bench or at least a secondary playmaker.  He might be a “matchup” guy where he is really important in some games and near useless in others.  I also think that he’s not in game shape.  ... I have no idea what he’s worth on the open market.  Probably not near $13 million.  We did the trade last year and probably understand the trade LESS at this point (either good or bad).

Rationale made sense at the time.  People seem to over look the fact that Grayson and Melton were the only other young wings we had and they were underperforming.  

13 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Rationale made sense at the time.  People seem to over look the fact that Grayson and Melton were the only other young wings we had and they were underperforming.  

I’m more of an outside-the-box guy so I am not really sure what we should do with him.  Probably not our top free agent season priority.  But still someone we need to make a decision about.  His shot basically is what it is (as is his injury history) but I am REALLY gonna need to see this guy in actual game shape.  

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Melton's been real iffy since about the return of JJJ.  Not sure if there is some reason for that or what is going on.

Of course, it's Jaren fault. It has just to be. A Player struggling? That can't be their fault. It has to be Jaren's.

This team was apparently on the cusp on greatness last month until Jaren returned. I must've been living under a rock when that was happening.

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

But I thought JJJ's rebounding numbers were sop much better this season...

Really???  Statistics showed that in this small sample his numbers have been better, that is an undeniable fact.  I conceded that the sample size was too small to determine if if was a genuine improvement.  Then of course you can always ridiculously use one single play to support your KBMish vendetta against a young player you obviously dislike to show that he is not improving.

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

Really???  Statistics showed that in this small sample his numbers have been better, that is an undeniable fact.  I conceded that the sample size was too small to determine if if was a genuine improvement.  Then of course you can always ridiculously use one single play to support your KBMish vendetta against a young player you obviously dislike to show that he is not improving.

Are you seriously going to blast me about my comment made in jest and ignore the previous statements that weren't made as a joke? 

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Which is why i believe Justise would have been a good secondary option to throw at him.   He has the strength and size to make it difficult for Curry too.   Nobody is saying that Steph would be shutdown.  It is about giving a guy multiple looks and we all saw Melton was too small.   So why is it a stretch to think that Justise would have been better?    Heck i think konchar would have been better too.  

Regardless if we get past SA and have a rematch with GS  and Taylor rotation stays the same.  I will have serious questions about his viability as a coach going forward. 

I'm not all that great a fan of what Justise has brought this season, but I would have been open to trying him on Steph.  Not sure how well he could keep up, but he, like Dillon, plays a more physical style of D, which IMO would be more effective than guys who play a more finesse style of defense.

2 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'm not all that great a fan of what Justise has brought this season, but I would have been open to trying him on Steph.  Not sure how well he could keep up, but he, like Dillon, plays a more physical style of D, which IMO would be more effective than guys who play a more finesse style of defense.

yep that is all i am saying.   

12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Are you seriously going to blast me about my comment made in jest and ignore the previous statements that weren't made as a joke? 

It's sort of difficult, Chip, when I can't recall a positive post from you about the young man, other than maybe a back-handed compliment, in the last two years.  Sorry if I misjudged your intent.;)

Just now, smit-tay griz said:

It's sort of difficult, Chip, when I can't recall a positive post from you about the young man, other than maybe a back-handed compliment, in the last two years.  Sorry if I misjudged your intent.;)

What has there been to be positive about since his rookie year? He has played less than half of the games played since he came on board, he still fouls far too often, he doesn't rebound well, the only development we have seen came on his shooting percentages last season and they dropped back down this year. What have I missed to be praising him about?

However, the criticism this time wasn't leveled by me. I just made a quip about other people's criticism. Instead of attacking me for my beliefs, why don't you address the issue of Jaren's failure to block out Wiggins at a turning point of an important game? Why don't you attack the post and not the poster???

Or is it just easier to point fingers at a poster's jest instead of defending a player's mistake? 

13 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

What has there been to be positive about since his rookie year? He has played less than half of the games played since he came on board, he still fouls far too often, he doesn't rebound well, the only development we have seen came on his shooting percentages last season and they dropped back down this year. What have I missed to be praising him about?

However, the criticism this time wasn't leveled by me. I just made a quip about other people's criticism. Instead of attacking me for my beliefs, why don't you address the issue of Jaren's failure to block out Wiggins at a turning point of an important game? Why don't you attack the post and not the poster???

Or is it just easier to point fingers at a poster's jest instead of defending a player's mistake? 

Jest?

Sheesh!!  I was attacking you??  All I did was point out that seem to have some vendetta against him.  If you think that's a personal attack I would use @10SC-2-TOKYO's words and say "get tuff!" :lol:

34 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Jest?

Sheesh!!  I was attacking you??  All I did was point out that seem to have some vendetta against him.  If you think that's a personal attack I would use @10SC-2-TOKYO's words and say "get tuff!" :lol:

Too bad you can’t or won’t say the same thing about Jaren Jackson. 

9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Too bad you can’t or won’t say the same thing about Jaren Jackson. 

Sure I will!!  He does need to get tougher.  I've never said that Jaren is perfect, nor would I say he is a finished product either.  Jaren has a lot of flaws, and some strengths as well, but at some point you have to decide which outweigh the other, and what you will accept.  I'm not anxious to trade Jaren yet, but I would not say he is untradeable either.

4 hours ago, Holidayinn21 said:

Of course, it's Jaren fault. It has just to be. A Player struggling? That can't be their fault. It has to be Jaren's.

This team was apparently on the cusp on greatness last month until Jaren returned. I must've been living under a rock when that was happening.

Not sure anyone is blaming Jaren.  Most rational readers blamed the change in rotation, if anything.

Either way, Melton has been disappointing and like @GrizzTigerFan is suggesting, I don't think playing Justise is a horrible idea if Melton or others aren't playing well in the next game.

It's now win or go home.  I'm all for trying Justise or Konchar if Melton and/or Bane or whomever is having an off game.

7 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Melton's been real iffy since about the return of JJJ.  Not sure if there is some reason for that or what is going on.

Nothing to do with Jaren, after all Jaren didn't play B2B which means there were games DeAnthony played that Jaren didnt.

The real reason is that immediately after that Denver game, Taylor started giving him scrub and garbage mins. Don't know why Edmiston won't call out Jenkins for that.

Tillman got the same treatment. Also, didnt Winslow come back in around the same time, and Taylor decided he was a PG?

Meltons drop off has nothing to do with JJJ. 

It happens. 

It's called "regression to the mean".   Look at his 2020-21 game log. People talking about the Denver game fail to realize he played 41 minutes because Dillon was out that game and Bane stunk up the floor that night. He had been inactive for eight games prior to that game. Two days later, and he was the one stinking up the Staples Center as "Mr. Do Something" did nothing but go 2 for 7 shooting for 5 points with goose eggs in every other stat except personal fouls.

Melton has averaged high teens to low twenties minutes per game this season (48 of his 52 games are between 10 and 29 minutes). Basically, he plays somewhere between one third to one half of a game. He was on a hot streak in March but has cooled off since. He has only had one game where his minutes were really under his average over the last month (Knicks game on 5/3), so Jenkins has not been giving him fewer minutes. His average minutes played this season is 20.1, which is only about 30 seconds more than he averaged in both of his first two seasons.

3 hours ago, Wells said:

It's called "regression to the mean".   Look at his 2020-21 game log. People talking about the Denver game fail to realize he played 41 minutes because Dillon was out that game and Bane stunk up the floor that night. He had been inactive for eight games prior to that game. Two days later, and he was the one stinking up the Staples Center as "Mr. Do Something" did nothing but go 2 for 7 shooting for 5 points with goose eggs in every other stat except personal fouls.

Melton has averaged high teens to low twenties minutes per game this season (48 of his 52 games are between 10 and 29 minutes). Basically, he plays somewhere between one third to one half of a game. He was on a hot streak in March but has cooled off since. He has only had one game where his minutes were really under his average over the last month (Knicks game on 5/3), so Jenkins has not been giving him fewer minutes. His average minutes played this season is 20.1, which is only about 30 seconds more than he averaged in both of his first two seasons.

my only issue with melton being played is the playmaking/ballhandling he is trying/allowed to do...imo he should just stick to 3pt shooting and defense...which i think is a coaching issue

22 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

my only issue with melton being played is the playmaking/ballhandling he is trying/allowed to do...imo he should just stick to 3pt shooting and defense...which i think is a coaching issue

Maybe that’s why Jenkins hasn’t played him more…

Seems to me if Melton was doing what Jenkins wanted he’d get more PT. 

55 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

If he is just a 3 and D role player then we still need to have either Ja or Tyus out there with him to handle the ball, then we either have guys like Dillon and Bane who are better shooters as well as guys who offer more size on defense.  Not even sure if he is more effective than Jon Konchar aka Mister Plus Minus most of the time.

Either way, he should be overdue for some solid 3 point shooting games.  And we could really use that at the moment!

Melton might be as situational as a guy like Winslow.  Ironically, you probably wanna have those guys as the anchors (along with Konchar) of a 3rd string bench mob aka players 9-13 on the depth chart.

38 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Maybe that’s why Jenkins hasn’t played him more…

Seems to me if Melton was doing what Jenkins wanted he’d get more PT. 

I'm starting to think that there may be a correlation between Melton's lack of minutes and his performance drop, but the root cause is not what most people assume.

13 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I'm starting to think that there may be a correlation between Melton's lack of minutes and his performance drop, but the root cause is not what most people assume.

So what do you think the root cause is? 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

So what do you think the root cause is? 

I'm thinking his performance drop is the cause of his reduced minutes, not the other way around.