ACGrizz

Resting players before play-in game

Should we rest guys before the play-in game(s) if it becomes clear we'll be the 9th seed?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should we rest guys before the play-in game(s) if it becomes clear we'll be the 9th seed?

• Yes
    • No

With the loss last night to the Pistons, it seems like the most likely outcome is we end up with the 9th seed. To recap, we're currently at 9th with a half game behind the Warriors, 1.5 games ahead of the Spurs (we own the tiebreaker and they have a grueling schedule where I'm not sure they'll win more than 2 games) and 3 games ahead of the Pelicans.

With the way we've been playing and the fatigue that seems to be setting in - reminder that these guys were given a historically rough schedule after the All-Star break, with 40 games in 68 nights - I don't feel particularly confident that we'll have a realistic shot at the 8th seed, but locking up the 9th seed should be fairly easy as long as we win 1 or 2 of our remaining games.

Question is: if it becomes close to a near certainty that we will end up at the 9th seed (e.g., Spurs and Pelicans both lose their next couple, Warriors win their next two and we split the next games), would you be in favor of resting some of our guys or reducing their minutes? 

The biggest benefit to resting guys to me seems going into the play-in games fresh and healthy. A mental and physical refresh could help the guys regain their focus and the defensive intensity we had in April. However, we're also juggling the integration of JJJ and Coach J seems to be tinkering with rotations to try to figure out what works best, so having guys sit out some games would delay this effort.

IMO, I would do the following:

• Play full strength/rotation against Raptors tomorrow (away game)
  • Play full strength/rotation against Pelicans on Monday (home game)
    • Re-evaluate where we sit at this point - if we're comfortably ahead of the Spurs and Pelicans and more than 1.5 games behind the Warriors, I adopt the following rest strategy:
      • Rest/heavily reduce the minutes of guys against the Mavs on Tuesday (2nd night of a back-to-back, and an unlikely win regardless)
      • Play full strength/rotation against Kings on Thursday
      • Rest/heavily reduce the minutes of guys against Kings on Friday (2nd night of a back-to-back, game could be irrelevant for seeding purposes at this point)
      • Play full rotation in first half against the Warriors in the final game to try out schemes/rotations against a potential 2nd play-in game opponent, but rest our core guys in the 2nd half and don't fully disclose any potential wrinkles we have in our game plan against them

Curious to hear y'all's thoughts!

I'm all for the resting of players this season.  Fresh legs on Konchar was better than a few of the players with tired legs, and it isn't just physical fatigue at this point.  These guys have all been around each other, competing with each other, for a long time. Mentally, these players have to be tired as well.

McDermott, Konchar, Tillie and others should have played in the game vs Denver, and Ja, Brooks, JV and Kyle should have sat.  Probably doesn't change the outcome of the Denver game (but again, don't underestimate fresh legs and guys that really want to play), but maybe it changes the Portland outcome 2 nights later. Maybe they don't lose one to Orlando.  Who knows.  We do know that since that Denver loss, they've lost 4 of 6.  

However, here is the problem.  They are trying to integrate JJJ back into the lineup, and right now everything is off.  I'm not sure how that gets fixed unless they decide one night that Kyle is going to rest, and they start JJJ.  Maybe that helps, not sure.

I would. Give the guys an extra night 

I would. Still do not understand why Jenkins don't do it already. We all compain about some bad losses ( Orlando, Detroit) but some of the guys are done. Crazy April schedule have made some damages and you can't blame Dilon or Ja when they miss but play so much and with no more fuel... hope the coach follow your advice and give minutes to Konchar, Tille, Melton, Porter in the last 3 to 4 games.

Only if it is impossible for us to get the 8th seed.  Probability of making the playoffs is around 64% as the 8 seed and around 24% as the 9 seed.

9 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

I would. Still do not understand why Jenkins don't do it already. We all compain about some bad losses ( Orlando, Detroit) but some of the guys are done. Crazy April schedule have made some damages and you can't blame Dilon or Ja when they miss but play so much and with no more fuel... hope the coach follow your advice and give minutes to Konchar, Tille, Melton, Porter in the last 3 to 4 games.

Would have been great to see some of those guys play in the pistons game. Those guys are fighting to stay on a roster. Well not Melton. 

Going into this last week the grizzlies play 5 games in 7 days, finishing with a critical game against GSW. 

Rest needed before now

We resting dudes now? When we get that clout???? Ain’t no rest, they need to fight for the 8th spot so we have 2 shots at it. 

On 5/9/2021 at 11:01 AM, King Dork said:

We resting dudes now? When we get that clout???? Ain’t no rest, they need to fight for the 8th spot so we have 2 shots at it. 

The tiebreaker is so important, it almost makes it inevitable that the last game of the season will determine the 8th spot - I'd like us to be fresh and ready for that game. Case in point, let's say we win 3 of our next 4 games (which will have included 2 sets of back to backs) - that puts us at 37 wins. If Warriors only win one, they're at 36 wins - but if they beat us, then we have the same record and they get the 8th seed due to owning the tiebreaker.

Let's go the opposite direction, we only win 2 of our next 4 games and they actually manage to win 2 games (so we win one more, they win one less from prior scenario). We're still in the same spot of needing to win the last game against them - we'd have 36 wins, they'd have 37 wins. As long as we get 2 of the next 4 and they don't win the next three, the last game of the season will determine the 8th seed. It's very likely by the time we have our 2nd game against the Kings there will be no seeding impact whatsoever of whether we win or lose that game - why NOT rest that 2nd night of a back to back and make sure we're fresh for the game that actually matters?

Warriors (35-33) - 4 home games; Utah/Suns, Pelicans, Grizzlies 

Grizz (34-33): Pelicans/Dallas, Kings (twice B2B nights), at Warriors

3 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

The tiebreaker is so important, it almost makes it inevitable that the last game of the season will determine the 8th spot - I'd like us to be fresh and ready for that game. Case in point, let's say we win 3 of our next 4 games (which will have included 2 sets of back to backs) - that puts us at 37 wins. If Warriors only win one, they're at 36 wins - but if they beat us, then we have the same record and they get the 8th seed due to owning the tiebreaker.

Let's go the opposite direction, we only win 2 of our next 4 games and they actually manage to win 2 games (so we win one more, they win one less from prior scenario). We're still in the same spot of needing to win the last game against them - we'd have 36 wins, they'd have 37 wins. As long as we get 2 of the next 4 and they don't win the next three, the last game of the season will determine the 8th seed. It's very likely by the time we have our 2nd game against the Kings there will be no seeding impact whatsoever of whether we win or lose that game - why NOT rest that 2nd night of a back to back and make sure we're fresh for the game that actually matters?

Warriors (35-33) - 4 home games; Utah/Suns, Pelicans, Grizzlies 

Grizz (34-33): Pelicans/Dallas, Kings (twice B2B nights), at Warriors

All I hear is close out strong get 5 wins. 

I'd like to believe that the Grizzlies will be playing for 8th place on the last day of the season but realistically I am just hoping we avoid 10th place. 

If the Grizzlies beat the Spurs for their first play-in game, would that be considered a series sweep of the Spurs? We owe them a few after all. ?‍♂️

6 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I'd like to believe that the Grizzlies will be playing for 8th place on the last day of the season but realistically I am just hoping we avoid 10th place. 

If the Grizzlies beat the Spurs for their first play-in game, would that be considered a series sweep of the Spurs? We owe them a few after all. ?‍♂️

I would put my (well Lions) money on it.

33 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

I would put my (well Lions) money on it.

Like I can trust your words. You banned yourself but you're still here...

Image result for Busted GIF. Size: 223 x 133. Source: www.tenor.co

12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Like I can trust your words. You banned yourself but you're still here...

Image result for Busted GIF. Size: 223 x 133. Source: www.tenor.co

You can trust me to put Lions money on the line...ban was not permanent ...just a one game ban...and as promised I won't start any new threads before the end of the season...I would never lie to the voters (only legal votes) on this board....AND YES...I would like to announce that I am Running for the Grizz Message Board Moderator in 2024...I will Make Moderators Great Again....as of now ....The whole world is laughing at us as we go to hell on our Trolls, our fake Moderators Election, and everything else!   SAD!

8 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

You can trust me to put Lions money on the line...ban was not permanent ...just a one game ban...and as promised I won't start any new threads before the end of the season...I would never lie to the voters (only legal votes) on this board....AND YES...I would like to announce that I am Running for the Grizz Message Board Moderator in 2024...I will Make Moderators Great Again....as of now ....The whole world is laughing at us as we go to hell on our Trolls, our fake Moderators Election, and everywhere else!   

Image result for go for it gifImage result for go for it gif

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

9th seems all but locked up at this point - we're at 35 wins and Spurs are at 33 wins, each with 4 games remaining:

Grizzlies have Mavs, Kings/Kings, Warriors
Spurs have Nets, Knicks, Suns/Suns

We have the tiebreaker, so they'd have to end up with more wins. Even if we lose all our games, they have to win 3 of these 4. I think they win 2 at most (Nets and Knicks both are still in seeding races with actual incentives to lock up the #2 and #4 seeds, respectively, and the Suns could still be in the hunt for the #1 seed).

And sadly, no Chip - we lost the 1st game of the season against the Spurs this season so we can't sweep them ? 

______

As an update, Warriors are now at 36 wins with 3 games remaining: Suns (2nd night of a back to back), Pelicans and Grizzlies. So here are the different scenarios:

• Warriors win 2: Grizzlies have to win 2 of the next 3 to get a chance at the 8th seed in last game
  • Warriors win 1: Grizzlies have to win 1 of the next 3 to get a chance at the 8th seed in last game; even if they win all 3, they still have to win the last game to get the 8th seed
  • Warriors win 0: Grizzlies can lock up the 8th seed before the last game by winning all 3, but even if they lose all 3 of the next games, they still get a shot at the 8th seed in the last game

If we both lose tonight and we win the first Kings game, the 2nd Kings game is irrelevant from a seeding perspective.

2 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

9th seems all but locked up at this point - we're at 35 wins and Spurs are at 33 wins, each with 4 games remaining:

Grizzlies have Mavs, Kings/Kings, Warriors
Spurs have Nets, Knicks, Suns/Suns

We have the tiebreaker, so they'd have to end up with more wins. Even if we lose all our games, they have to win 3 of these 4. I think they win 2 at most (Nets and Knicks both are still in seeding races with actual incentives to lock up the #2 and #4 seeds, respectively, and the Suns could still be in the hunt for the #1 seed).

And sadly, no Chip - we lost the 1st game of the season against the Spurs this season so we can't sweep them ? 

______

As an update, Warriors are now at 36 wins with 3 games remaining: Suns (2nd night of a back to back), Pelicans and Grizzlies. So here are the different scenarios:

• Warriors win 2: Grizzlies have to win 2 of the next 3 to get a chance at the 8th seed in last game
  • Warriors win 1: Grizzlies have to win 1 of the next 3 to get a chance at the 8th seed in last game; even if they win all 3, they still have to win the last game to get the 8th seed
  • Warriors win 0: Grizzlies can lock up the 8th seed before the last game by winning all 3, but even if they lose all 3 of the next games, they still get a shot at the 8th seed in the last game

If we both lose tonight and we win the first Kings game, the 2nd Kings game is irrelevant from a seeding perspective.

I was saying winning the play-in game would be a playoff series sweep not a regular season sweep but I feel like the answer is the same regardless. 

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I was saying winning the play-in game would be a playoff series sweep not a regular season sweep but I feel like the answer is the same regardless. 

Ah, gotcha!

Looks like JJJ and Jonas getting the rest tonight, so don't really understand why we wouldn't give Ja a rest too (call it ankle soreness or something...). He's been logging a lot of minutes and a win tonight seems unlikely.

6 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Ah, gotcha!

Looks like JJJ and Jonas getting the rest tonight, so don't really understand why we wouldn't give Ja a rest too (call it ankle soreness or something...). He's been logging a lot of minutes and a win tonight seems unlikely.

Should rest Ja and Dillon and Kyle. I don't get it either. 

Sounds like they are going to aim at sweeping the Kings to set up the finale with the Warriors. So why not rest the other guys too?

If we beat the Kings tomorrow the second Kings game is irrelevant to our playoff seeding so we can sit the starters for that game and be well rested for the Warriors and the play-in games.

We need chemistry especially with Jaren coming in alot of guys just look lost.

11 hours ago, kevofrommempho said:

If we beat the Kings tomorrow the second Kings game is irrelevant to our playoff seeding so we can sit the starters for that game and be well rested for the Warriors and the play-in games.

I second this. Need to get the win tomorrow though 

On 5/10/2021 at 8:01 PM, King Dork said:

All I hear is close out strong get 5 wins. 

Scoot over a bit… I’m sitting right next to you.

40 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Scoot over a bit… I’m sitting right next to you.

Resting guys doesn't mean we can't still try to win! We rested JV and JJJ against the Mavs and it's the best we've looked in a long, long time. Fresh legs this time of year can have a big impact.