CoolHandGriz

Would any of you homers...

12 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

...still select Wiseman over Antman? Inquiring minds wanna know. 

Nope. And wouldn’t have last November either. And LaMelo and Halliburton are better than either. 

15 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

...still select Wiseman over Antman? Inquiring minds wanna know. 

If you asked....Would any of you homers...still believe that earth is flat...same answer.

2 hours ago, cdp said:

Rookie season does not make a career. Ask Tyreke.

Ant Edwards does not have an obvious offensive flaw like Tyreke and can play off the ball, so his game won't shrink once he gets better teammates. 

He is a star in the making. 

Wiseman had homers? He only played a couple games here and left the team high and dry.

But yeah I already said it once but Edwards has a chance to be special 

I don't really like Ant Edwards all that much either.  Andrew Wiggins 2.0.  

One thing I absolutely would not have done if I had been the Warriors last season is to use that pick at all.  I would have traded it for someone that could help me take advantage of Stephen Curry's greatness while I still can.

29 minutes ago, Allen said:

Wiseman had homers? He only played a couple games here and left the team high and dry.

But yeah I already said it once but Edwards has a chance to be special 

Wiseman had a lot of homers. Saying he was the best player by far in the draft. Proposing trades for the Grizz to trade up and draft Wiseman. Just go look at the threads from last October and November, all those posters are still here. 

10 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Wiseman had a lot of homers. Saying he was the best player by far in the draft. Proposing trades for the Grizz to trade up and draft Wiseman. Just go look at the threads from last October and November, all those posters are still here. 

I think you are overstating the desire to move up in the draft to get Wiseman. Some posters wanted to do this but there were a decidedly vocal minority.  

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I think you are overstating the desire to move up in the draft to get Wiseman. Some posters wanted to do this but there were a decidedly vocal minority.  

Seemed like a lot to me. Hey, I'm glad the Dubs took Wiseman, we have their pick in '24. And it's the same ones coming up with big boards and pontificating on who the Grizz should trade up for right now in the '21 draft thread.

But the only reason these posters liked Wiseman so much was that he played 3 games for the Tigers. If Wiseman had gone to Kentucky, they would be saying what a flop he would be. 

3 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Seemed like a lot to me. Hey, I'm glad the Dubs took Wiseman, we have their pick in '24. And it's the same ones coming up with big boards and pontificating on who the Grizz should trade up for right now in the '21 draft thread.

But the only reason these posters liked Wiseman so much was that he played 3 games for the Tigers. If Wiseman had gone to Kentucky, they would be saying what a flop he would be. 

I think a lot of it was the same handful of people just posting over and over.

2 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Perhaps. 

Bigger point is don't spend high draft pics on athletic bigs who can't shoot and will take years to develop, like Wiseman and Bamba. Shooters and ball handlers are much more important to winning these days. Which the Warriors should have known, since they drafted Curry and Klay. Anyway, I'm glad they don't have LaMelo or Halliburton or even Edwards. 

12 hours ago, Dwash said:

Ant Edwards does not have an obvious offensive flaw like Tyreke and can play off the ball, so his game won't shrink once he gets better teammates. 

He is a star in the making. 

He's still shooting 41% from the floor and 32% from 3. Let's slow our roll. He's extremely high usage.

4 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

He's still shooting 41% from the floor and 32% from 3. Let's slow our roll. He's extremely high usage.

Yep. Verno made a great point on his pod with KOC. Don't trust these teams who are trash all year, and then show something in the last 10 games. T'Wolves defense is still terrible. They will disappoint again next year. 

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

Agreed

1 hour ago, KyleB said:

Agreed

43 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

24 PPG on 44.7%, 35% from 3 in 30 games since the break.  He shot 37% in the first half. 

Idk about you but for a 19 year old rookie I'm going to say the 2nd half is probably a better reflection of his potential. 

16 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Nope. And wouldn’t have last November either. And LaMelo and Halliburton are better than either. 

Agreed. For now....

And to be fair, it was pretty much a very vocal minority that were all in on “taking the best player available” (supposedly Wiseman) instead of a wing.

4 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Agreed. For now....

And to be fair, it was pretty much a very vocal minority that were all in on “taking the best player available” (supposedly Wiseman) instead of a wing.

Alright, I will correct the record. I will agree that it was a vocal minority. 

11 minutes ago, Dwash said:

24 PPG on 44.7%, 35% from 3 in 30 games since the break.  He shot 37% in the first half. 

Idk about you but for a 19 year old rookie I'm going to say the 2nd half is probably a better reflection of his potential. 

MarShon Brooks. Averaged 20 points and shot 59% from 3 down the stretch for a bad Memphis team 3 years ago. And got a contract.

Yeah, Edwards is better than MarShon. But one shouldn't put too much stock in the numbers players put up on bad teams playing out the string. He's simply not going to be allowed to play that way next season. 

14 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Agreed. For now....

This is the flaw in the "taking the best player available" execution.  The logic is correct (most the time).  But it's really hard to determine who the best player available truly is, and it's going to get harder.   It's tough enough to determine who's better between two NBA players who play in same league, especially if they play different positions, now try to compare guys who play in college, or don't play, with those from international ball to now those playing in G-League.

Even after 1 season of NBA ball, most fans would have taken Brandon Jennings, Darren Collison or Tyreke Evans over James Harden, and those guys are all guards. 

And everybody would have taken those 3, Sam Young, Austin Daye, Jonny Flynn over Patrick Beverly after 1 year.

It's just really tough to compare until we see more, especially until you see them in winning/playoff situations.

To be fair though GV....thats why some guys are making mills deciding who the BPA is and the rest of us are jacking our jaws on Grizz.com :)

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

This is the flaw in the "taking the best player available" execution.  The logic is correct (most the time).  But it's really hard to determine who the best player available truly is, and it's going to get harder.   It's tough enough to determine who's better between two NBA players who play in same league, especially if they play different positions, now try to compare guys who play in college, or don't play, with those from international ball to now those playing in G-League.

Even after 1 season of NBA ball, most fans would have taken Brandon Jennings, Darren Collison or Tyreke Evans over James Harden, and those guys are all guards. 

And everybody would have taken those 3, Sam Young, Austin Daye, Jonny Flynn over Patrick Beverly after 1 year.

It's just really tough to compare until we see more, especially until you see them in winning/playoff situations.

Yes it is hard. What’s the alternative however? Take a player you feel isn’t as qualified because you hope a lesser talent will outperform?

If you don’t believe you know who is better you don’t need to be in position to make that decision.

26 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Yes it is hard. What’s the alternative however? Take a player you feel isn’t as qualified because you hope a lesser talent will outperform?

If you don’t believe you know who is better you don’t need to be in position to make that decision.

If during the next NBA pregame show, Brevin said that the key to the Grizzlies win was to score more points than their opponent that's not really saying that much.   

Saying "draft best player available" as a strategy is similar to saying the Grizzlies next game plan should be "Score more points than the opponent".   I'm just saying that is really hard to do even after 1 season of play and not to overreact to just a good rookie season.  And I'm not getting paid to be in that position, but a lot of guys who are pretty hit and miss.

Do you have an alternative to Grizzlies winning game plan of "score more points than the opponent"?

No. I wouldnt.