The J Crew

3 Grizz Players in Hollinger's Top Ten Underrated List

Preach, John. 

"3. De’Anthony Melton, SG, Memphis

Relative to his national perception, De’Anthony Melton has a strong case as the single most underrated player in the league. Heck, relative to his usage by his own team, he has a great case.

Melton is completely invisible outside Tennessee and doesn’t immediately grab the eye as a 6-2 shooting guard, but he’s a box-score stuffer who defends disruptively, pitches in on the glass and gets out on the break. This year he’s unexpectedly morphed into a legitimated long-range weapon, too, hitting 42.8 percent from 3 on big volume (9.6 attempts per 100 possessions).

Somehow, at the end of it all, he’s still Grayson Allen’s backup. Most advanced metrics suggest the 23-year-old Melton has been one of the league’s top-15 shooting guards (some are even more effusive), but his role is unchanged, coming off the bench for 20.3 minutes per game." 

5 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Preach, John. 

Relative to his national perception, De’Anthony Melton has a strong case as the single most underrated player in the league. Heck, relative to his usage by his own team, he has a great case.

Melton is completely invisible outside Tennessee and doesn’t immediately grab the eye as a 6-2 shooting guard, but he’s a box-score stuffer who defends disruptively, pitches in on the glass and gets out on the break. This year he’s unexpectedly morphed into a legitimated long-range weapon, too, hitting 42.8 percent from 3 on big volume (9.6 attempts per 100 possessions).

Somehow, at the end of it all, he’s still Grayson Allen’s backup. Most advanced metrics suggest the 23-year-old Melton has been one of the league’s top-15 shooting guards (some are even more effusive), but his role is unchanged, coming off the bench for 20.3 minutes per game." 

Wow.....   i have no words. 

Why do stat geeks always do this? Maybe just maybe a dude is great in his role and if you add way more minutes against way more starters then productivity will drop. I remember when they were screaming Stromile Swift would be a great starter because of his great efficiency 

2 minutes ago, King Dork said:

I remember when they were screaming Stromile Swift would be a great starter because of his great efficiency 

he was a great starter!!!!!  ?

4 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Why do stat geeks always do this? Maybe just maybe a dude is great in his role and if you add way more minutes against way more starters then productivity will drop. I remember when they were screaming Stromile Swift would be a great starter because of his great efficiency 

More from Hollinger:

"Memphis has been dramatically better with Melton on the court this season, outscoring opponents by 7.1 points per 100 possessions with him on the court and minus-1.5 per 100 with him of it. That’s the largest differential on the team, and it’s hard to dismiss this as a fluke when the same thing happened in 2019-20.

Significantly, this isn’t a bench-wide phenomenon either. The other Grizzlies with large positive differentials are all starters (including two players on this list) … which means Melton’s tremendous on-off stats have come despite swimming against a pretty strong analytical tide. His presence even drags lineups with the struggling Justise Winslow in them to break-even performance (minus-0.3 per 100); when he’s paired with Brooks or Ja Morant, the Grizzlies have crushed teams by double digits."

1 minute ago, The Stro Show said:

i agree with john, melt has been bomb this year. def underrated 

And he's great with Ja and Dillon. Should be starting. So frustrating. 

5 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Rudy Gobert, back to back defensive player of the year, is the most underrated player in the NBA? ?

"Gobert is the most underrated player in the league right now. The best player on what has been the league’s best team this season, he’s a top-five MVP candidate by any objective measure. I remain stunned this isn’t more obvious."

8 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Rudy Gobert, back to back defensive player of the year, is the most underrated player in the NBA? ?

Yeah, a bit of a stretch. But Hollinger did say something about his underrated means underappreciated too. 

Maybe Melton should stop constantly turning the ball over in key situations, which appears to be his only deficit, if he wants to gain Jenkins trust.

edit: At the moment Bane is clearly our best 2 IMO and should be starting/getting the majority of the minutes until Melton can learn to control the ball.

On 5/6/2021 at 10:55 AM, The J Crew said:

Preach, John. 

Melton needs more run 

On 5/6/2021 at 12:04 PM, King Dork said:

I agree, Melton must play more like ppl are saying but he has a defined role and plays pretty well on it. To tell the truth, he plays better next to Tyus than with Ja overall.

2 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

I agree, Melton must play more like ppl are saying but he has a defined role and plays pretty well on it. To tell the truth, he plays better next to Tyus than with Ja overall.

I do agree with that. But I always like Meltons D at the end of games 

48 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

I do agree with that. But I always like Meltons D at the end of games 

For sure, it will be him or Bane in the death lineup 

Ja

Bane or Melton 

Dillon 

Jaren

JV or Tillman or Clarke 

I have a feeling that next year with a healthy Jaren and with Bane and Tillman devoloping JV and Melton are out of it.

14 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

For sure, it will be him or Bane in the death lineup 

Ja

Bane or Melton 

Dillon 

Jaren

JV or Tillman or Clarke 

I have a feeling that next year with a healthy Jaren and with Bane and Tillman devoloping JV and Melton are out of it.

That lineup should scare playoff teams 

52 minutes ago, Everett said:

Does anyone want to post what he said about JV and Kyle?

Moderators are strict about posting from pay sites... 

27 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Moderators are strict about posting from pay sites... 

You can explain without copying the entire article. 

1 hour ago, Everett said:

Does anyone want to post what he said about JV and Kyle?

I’ll do that when I get in front of my laptop 

20 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

You can explain without copying the entire article. 

That was my understanding too. I didn’t copy all of the Melton section. I think just a paragraph or two is ok 

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

That was my understanding too. I didn’t copy all of the Melton section. I think just a paragraph or two is ok 

That's the idea

you guys got to stop trying to look for reason and logic when there is none. 

Who should play our 2 guard spot depending on matchups made sense last year or earlier this season when the question was still open on if we need more defense, shooting, size, etc. Melton has been a top 15-20 3 point shooter all year, once he fixed his jumpshot the discussion was over. Melton is a better 3 point shooter than Grayson and is one month older than Bane so the development angle doesn't make sense either. 

The FO needs to take the Grayson option away this offseason so that Melton is forced to get more minutes. Right now, we're in that stage of Tony Allen's first season where LH was giving him 10-15 mpg or occasional DNPCD's. Hopefully, we look back in a couple of years and just see this as a small hiccup. Melton's only red flag right now is the minor injuries he gets (Grayson is also glass tho)