1. 1. Jarens agent is asking for an extension in the offseason....YOU as GM

• Give Jaren the MAX
    • Agree to a team friendly discount 100/4
    • Putting your foot down ...no more than 80/4
    • Offer nothing and wait for RFA

20 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Let's play this out.

3J Agent....5y Max or Nothing

Grizz FO...sorry let's wait a year and we offer the max if he is healthy...

Grizz FO....nothing

3J Agent to Jaren....They do not respect/love you...they will extend Ja ....but not you ....they are giving 60/3 to that slow Lithuanian what's his name....Jaren you are unicorn and future superstar...you should be number 1 not Ja...in New York we'll give you the Max ...and will promote your Dad so when you take QO your family won't lose anything....NEW YORK.... Jaren ....NEW YORK....this is the place for you...this small market team doesn't know it's place...they do not respect you Jaren....

Jaren ...so you think I should take QO and go to NEW YORK?

Agent ...New York is the place Jaren ...think about the endorsements...talk to your dad and get back to me..

Jaren to Ja....Hi m8...sorry but I am leaving for New York...they do not respect me enough in Memphis...

Ja....NOOOOO....W8...I will talk to FO....DO NOT GO

Jaren Sorry M8...you know ...endorsements and s*it...you can come with me...If we win in New York we are heros 4ever.

Ja...sorry m8...but I❤️Memphis ...and I❤️JV....can't do that to him

Jaren OK then CU L8er  

🤣 this is gold

3 hours ago, The J Crew said:

I don’t think that is correct. Players who sign rookie extensions would have to make All NBA, DPOY or MVP in their 4th year - so after the player potentially signs the extension (end of year 3), but before the extension contract  starts.  

Neither JJJ nor Ja (yet) qualify to receive a designated player 30% max extension, but they may still be offered a 5th year in their extended contracts:

Certain players can receive contracts or extensions that are more favorable (in years and/or salary) than they ordinarily could receive. This applies to players who are finishing their rookie scale contracts (and other players with four years of experience), who can receive a starting salary up to 30% of the cap (which is normally reserved for players with 7-9 years of service). It also applies to players who are finishing their rookie scale extensions (and other players with eight or nine years of experience), who can receive a starting salary up to 35% of the cap (which is normally reserved for players with at least 10 years of service).

In addition, players signing a rookie scale extension can be designated by their team to receive a longer extension, totaling six seasons (including the season remaining on their rookie scale contracts).

In order to qualify for the higher maximum salary, players must meet certain performance criteria1. At least one of the following must be true:

• The player was named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
  • The player was named the Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
  • The player was named the NBA Most Valuable Player in any of the three most recent seasons.

For example, if this is the 2018 offseason, then a player met the performance criteria if he accomplished any of the following:

• Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in 2017-18
  • Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in both 2015-16 and 2016-17
  • Named the Defensive Player of the Year in 2017-18
  • Named the Defensive Player of the Year in both 2015-16 and 2016-17
  • Named the NBA Most Valuable Player in 2015-16, 2016-17 or 2017-18

The naming of these rules and criteria are somewhat inconsistent and confusing. The Designated Veteran rule allows teams to sign or extend players with eight or nine years of service to a higher salary (up to 35% of the cap). The Designated Rookie rule allows teams to sign players finishing their rookie scale contracts to longer extensions, but does not provide for the higher maximum salary (up to 30% of the cap). In fact, there are no performance criteria the player must meet to qualify for the Designated Rookie rule -- he just needs to be designated by his team to receive a longer extension. The higher maximum salary for these players is provided by the 5th Year, 30% Max criteria. And while the criteria are the same for players with eight or nine years of experience to qualify for the higher maximum salary (up to 35% of the cap), the CBA calls it the "Designated Veteran Player 35% Max Criteria" for these players.

16 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

Let's play this out.

Grizz FO...sorry let's wait a year and we offer the max if he is healthy...

Grizz FO....nothing

3J Agent to Jaren....They do not respect/love you...they will extend Ja ....but not you ....they are giving 60/3 to that slow Lithuanian what's his name....Jaren you are unicorn and future superstar...you should be number 1 not Ja...in New York we'll give you the Max ...and will promote your Dad so when you take QO your family won't lose anything....NEW YORK.... Jaren ....NEW YORK....this is the place for you...this small market team doesn't know it's place...they do not respect you Jaren....

Jaren ...so you think I should take QO and go to NEW YORK?

Agent ...New York is the place Jaren ...think about the endorsements...talk to your dad and get back to me..

Jaren to Ja....Hi m8...sorry but I am leaving for New York...they do not respect me enough in Memphis...

Ja....NOOOOO....W8...I will talk to FO....DO NOT GO

Jaren Sorry M8...you know ...endorsements and s*it...you can come with me...If we win in New York we are heros 4ever.

Ja...sorry m8...but I❤️Memphis ...and I❤️JV....can't do that to him

Jaren OK then CU L8er  

i can actually see ja leaving before 3js...how many community events have you seen ja involved in compared to 3js

17 hours ago, chipc3 said:

According to this article, the expected salary cap in 2022-23 will be $115 million with the luxury tax kicking in at $140 million. JJJ can be offered 25% of the team's salary cap. Assuming both numbers remain unchanged (a big assumption in the time of Covid) then JJJ's max contract would be five years at a starting amount of $28,750,000 and with 8% raises each year that would mean:

2022-23: $28,750,000
2023-24: $31,050,000
2024-25: $33,534,000
2025-26: $36,216,720
2026-27: $39,114,058

That means a total of $168,664,778 guaranteed regardless of how many or how few games he plays for a player who has not yet played 60 games in any season and has not been to an all-star game.  

My math could be wrong but I believe that is correct subject to the salary cap remaining as Adrian Wojnarowski reported.  

140-150mil on 5 i would be cool with thats 1a type of money imo.

59 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

i can actually see ja leaving before 3js...how many community events have you seen ja involved in compared to 3js

It’s Covid 19’s show right now… not too many events scheduled 

A bit off topic, but the trope of free agents dying to go play for the Knicks hasn't been true for decades. There are other big cities with endorsement opportunities that don't require you to buy into a dumpster fire of a franchise.

On 5/6/2021 at 3:14 AM, fanboyslim said:

A bit off topic, but the trope of free agents dying to go play for the Knicks hasn't been true for decades. There are other big cities with endorsement opportunities that don't require you to buy into a dumpster fire of a franchise.

Yep. 

The way the CBA is set up, it's just unrealistic to expect help from the high priced free agents. The good ones usually stay with the incumbent team. A team like the Grizz should use free agency to fill in the roster - like with Kyle and Tyus. 

17 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

true but jaren still is the face of alot of events around the city...don't see ja repping any org/charity/event/cause

He will. 

I've never been ready to say this before, but at this point the FO should let it be known that the right offer could pry 3J loose. It would have to be a deal that's good for both teams, and the other guy probably shouldn't be older than 27.  We have to ask whether 25 ppg, 3 rebounds is better than 18 ppg, 10 rebounds.

Failing that, I'd offer JJJ a good deal as long as part of it was in bonuses and incentives, to do with fouls-per-minute [ 5 fouls in 30 min is OK, 5 in 10 is not ] and games-for-which-healthy.

I'd also look at fit, since that seems to be key for this team. If, repeat IF, Jaren doesn't fit with the current Griz,  who could take his place and fit better?   And if he is not the misfit, who is? Or is the problem just that with so many games they haven't had a chance to re-mesh the team with JJJ? 

Which brings us to if we keep JJJ we are probably committing to keep JV, else who WILL get the rebounds? (let's say D-boards, because O-boards seem to be out of fashion). Is Tillman big enough to bang with AD and Zion?

Finally, if we accept that JJJ is "huge upside but .." then wouldn't the guy we get in his place have to be the same thing, or else "not such a huge upside but reliable."   Do we want that? 

Conclusion: keep him but don't go crazy on the deal.