Pretend you're Grizz GM

Pretend you're Grizz GM  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Jarens agent is asking for an extension in the offseason....YOU as GM

• Give Jaren the MAX
    • Agree to a team friendly discount 100/4
    • Putting your foot down ...no more than 80/4
    • Offer nothing and wait for RFA

if we look at comparables to find an equitable contract for 3J, who are those players?  I attempted to list them yesterday, and its a small sample group, and in my view 3J didnt fair out well..

do you think he is deserving of a max contract?  What has he accomplished or shown over a good stretch?  He is young, with potential, raw, great size, and shown some talent.  Is he an all-star?  Is he close? is he top 25 talent in NBA? Is he a top 10 PF?

12 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

This conversation is all just our opinions, since we aren't privy to the negotiations.

But, having said that, there is just no way, imo, Jaren accepts a long term deal starting at $17 or $18M. These guys want to get paid like their pier group. Jaren sees Bam and Donovan and Tatum and De'Aaron Fox getting max extensions from the '17 draft class last November. He is just not going to take half of that. 

And Steph Curry signing for 4 years / $44M in October of 2012 is ancient history, has nothing to do with anything. But, if anything, Jaren's camp would use it as an argument for not signing cheap just because of injury. (The salary cap was only $58M in '12-'13, and obviously it was a different CBA. Steph's 4 year max was only for $61M at the time, so Golden State was only $5M per year under. Really wasn't that amazing a deal until the new TV contract doubled the cap.)  https://theathletic.com/142451/2017/10/31/thompson-five-years-ago-steph-curry-signed-the-contract-that-set-up-a-dynasty/

Those players you mentioned have played a lot more games than Jaren. Most of them have been all-stars already. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

Those players you mentioned have played a lot more games than Jaren. Most of them have been all-stars already. 

agree, but I found it difficult to find players/forwards only in that age range 22-25, that have played as few games as Jaren because games missed.  But those players got max or good money because they proved themselves or showed they were on the right trajectory....The next contract in not Jaren's big one, it will be the one after that.  Obviously he wants to max out, not sure that will happen in the summer.  Let's hope he stays healthy and leads us as 1A franchise player for next 14 months...that is best outcome for Grizz and Jaren.

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I know. But do you really think Jaren & his camp see that nuance? And that will give us a 'discount' because of it? I sure don't. I think he sees himself at a top 4 pick, future all star, co-leader of this future contending team with Ja, a unicorn with freakish 3-point shooting ability for a 7 footer . . .  I just don't see him signing for half a max just because he tore his meniscus. 

I agree with you, been saying on this board that our FO should wait a year, and use our RFA rights in the summer of '22 to re-sign Jaren then. 

7 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

if we look at comparables to find an equitable contract for 3J, who are those players?  I attempted to list them yesterday, and its a small sample group, and in my view 3J didnt fair out well..

do you think he is deserving of a max contract?  What has he accomplished or shown over a good stretch?  He is young, with potential, raw, great size, and shown some talent.  Is he an all-star?  Is he close? is he top 25 talent in NBA? Is he a top 10 PF?

Porzingis is the obvious one. Also the 4th overall pick. Oft injured - missed his whole 4th season. And he still got the max. 

Wait one year and see. If his level dont go up ( rebound, less fouls) then i won't offer him a max contract if i was  the Grizz GM. He is still far from beeing a superstar not even a star yet. He got the potential for sure,  he just need to show it. Plus let's see his injuries issues...

18 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Porzingis is the obvious one. Also the 4th overall pick. Oft injured - missed his whole 4th season. And he still got the max. 

Porzingis agent is his brother...soooo....told the Knicks that if you do not trade me I am taking QO and leaving...told Dallas give me the max or I am taking QO and leaving...can Jaren's agent do the same?

16 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

so what's the max the grizzs could give 3js.

According to this article, the expected salary cap in 2022-23 will be $115 million with the luxury tax kicking in at $140 million. JJJ can be offered 25% of the team's salary cap. Assuming both numbers remain unchanged (a big assumption in the time of Covid) then JJJ's max contract would be five years at a starting amount of $28,750,000 and with 8% raises each year that would mean:

2022-23: $28,750,000
2023-24: $31,050,000
2024-25: $33,534,000
2025-26: $36,216,720
2026-27: $39,114,058

That means a total of $168,664,778 guaranteed regardless of how many or how few games he plays for a player who has not yet played 60 games in any season and has not been to an all-star game.  

My math could be wrong but I believe that is correct subject to the salary cap remaining as Adrian Wojnarowski reported.  

11 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Porzingis agent is his brother...soooo....told the Knicks that if you do not trade me I am taking QO and leaving...told Dallas give me the max or I am taking QO and leaving...can Jaren's agent do the same?

Yes. Which is why we wait as long as possible, summer of ‘22. 

6 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

According to this article, the expected salary cap in 2022-23 will be $115 million with the luxury tax kicking in at $140 million. JJJ can be offered 25% of the team's salary cap. Assuming both numbers remain unchanged (a big assumption in the time of Covid) then JJJ's max contract would be five years at a starting amount of $28,750,000 and with 8% raises each year that would mean:

2022-23: $28,750,000
2023-24: $31,050,000
2024-25: $33,534,000
2025-26: $36,216,720
2026-27: $39,114,058

That means a total of $168,664,778 guaranteed regardless of how many or how few games he plays for a player who has not yet played 60 games in any season and has not been to an all-star game.  

My math could be wrong but I believe that is correct subject to the salary cap remaining as Adrian Wojnarowski reported.  

When giving no brainer max deal (Ja)...the only negotiation is 5th year player option and % on All NBA like (can be between 26-30%...like 3rd team 26% 2nd team 28% 1st team 30%)...If you completely fold as FO you give the max 5th year player option and 30% on 3rd team NBA  ...Fox got it, then Tatum got it Bam didn't get 5th year player option....

So 1st day of free agency Zion will get max 5th year player option and 30% on 3rd team NBA...Ja will get the same...and RJ Barrett agent will demand the same as Zion and Ja... 

2 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

When giving no brainer max deal (Ja)...the only negotiation is 5th year player option and % on All NBA like (can be between 26-30%...like 3rd team 26% 2nd team 28% 1st team 30%)...If you completely fold as FO you give the max 5th year player option and 30% on 3rd team NBA  ...Fox got it, then Tatum got it Bam didn't get 5th year player option....

So 1st day of free agency Zion will get max 5th year player option and 30% on 3rd team NBA...Ja will get the same...and RJ Barrett agent will demand the same as Zion and Ja... 

Ja won’t get 30%, won’t make All NBA team, at least not this year. 

And I hope Zion does make All NBA, makes the Pels spend more money. 

4 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Ja won’t get 30%, won’t make All NBA team, at least not this year. 

And I hope Zion does make All NBA, makes the Pels spend more money. 

Ja doesn't need to make All NBA in a first year of the deal to get 30%....the deal can be phrased that if he makes ALL NBA...next year he'll get up to 30% instead of 25%...even if he makes All NBA in year 2 or 3 of his extension.

43 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Ja doesn't need to make All NBA in a first year of the deal to get 30%....the deal can be phrased that if he makes ALL NBA...next year he'll get up to 30% instead of 25%...even if he makes All NBA in year 2 or 3 of his extension.

I don’t think that is correct. Players who sign rookie extensions would have to make All NBA, DPOY or MVP in their 4th year - so after the player potentially signs the extension (end of year 3), but before the extension contract  starts.  

2 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

I don’t think that is correct. Rookies would have to make All NBA, DPOY or MVP in their 4th year - so after the player potentially signs the extension (end of year 3), but before the extension contact starts.  

Not 100% sure (lazy now to check CBA)...so not going to die on that hill...will check that latter

One other thing....

who is representing Jaren? CAA Sports

who is the boss of CAA Sports? Leon Rose

what's his job title now? GM New York Knicks

Who employs Jarens dad? New York Knicks

so....are you going to give us 5 year max? ...or do you feel lucky punk?

Just now, I❤️JV said:

One other thing....

who is representing Jaren? CAA Sports

who is the boss of CAA Sports? Leon Rose

what's his job title now? GM New York Knicks

Who employs Jarens dad? New York Knicks

so....are you going to give us 5 year max? ...or do you feel lucky punk?

Who is going to be in charge of the Knicks by the time JJJ has waited out his his next two seasons? Especially considering his injury history. Another season of fewer than 60 games won't help his negotiations. 

1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

I'd hate to see us move Jaren for cap space, a recent lottery bust, and a couple picks that will likely be in the late teens; like New York did with Porzingis.

13 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Who is going to be in charge of the Knicks by the time JJJ has waited out his his next two seasons? Especially considering his injury history. Another season of fewer than 60 games won't help his negotiations. 

If I had gun to my head and had to choose what FO will do...I would put my money/life that FO will cave and give Jaren max. 

1 minute ago, I❤️JV said:

If I had gun to my head and had to choose what FO will do...I would put my money/life that FO will cave and give Jaren max. 

Possibly but I have a lot more faith in the current FO than I did at the end of the Wallace era. 

One important caveat is that Jaren missing all those games was not strictly due to health.   It would be pretty messed up for FO to penalize Jaren based on games missed when they clearly held him out longer than needed.   I bet they max him because i am pretty sure they already forecast they would when they signed Dillon, Melton, and Jonas to the deals they did.   Ja and Jaren's checks are already sitting in the bank.   All the other players are in negotiation mode for their next deal. 

Let's play this out.

3J Agent....5y Max or Nothing

Grizz FO...sorry let's wait a year and we offer the max if he is healthy...

3J Agent....5y Max or Nothing

Grizz FO....nothing

3J Agent to Jaren....They do not respect/love you...they will extend Ja ....but not you ....they are giving 60/3 to that slow Lithuanian what's his name....Jaren you are unicorn and future superstar...you should be number 1 not Ja...in New York we'll give you the Max ...and will promote your Dad so when you take QO your family won't lose anything....NEW YORK.... Jaren ....NEW YORK....this is the place for you...this small market team doesn't know it's place...they do not respect you Jaren....

Jaren ...so you think I should take QO and go to NEW YORK?

Agent ...New York is the place Jaren ...think about the endorsements...talk to your dad and get back to me..

Jaren to Ja....Hi m8...sorry but I am leaving for New York...they do not respect me enough in Memphis...

Ja....NOOOOO....W8...I will talk to FO....DO NOT GO

Jaren Sorry M8...you know ...endorsements and s*it...you can come with me...If we win in New York we are heros 4ever.

Ja...sorry m8...but I❤️Memphis ...and I❤️JV....can't do that to him

Jaren OK then CU L8er