Pretend you're Grizz GM

Pretend you're Grizz GM  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Jarens agent is asking for an extension in the offseason....YOU as GM

• Give Jaren the MAX
    • Agree to a team friendly discount 100/4
    • Putting your foot down ...no more than 80/4
    • Offer nothing and wait for RFA

No extension.  See what happens next season and then make an appropriate offer.  Restricted free agency is a great asset for the organization and it is silly to get rid of that for nothing.

4 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

So your offer is less than 80/4 and you're waiting for RFA? 

I’m not offering anything until the end of next year. And yes wait until RFA

Everyone who feels why pay anything when we can wait and match. Every young good player wants an extension locked. If that player feels disrespected he can just take qualifying offer (or threaten to do so)...and leave in FA after 1 year.  

Just now, I❤️JV said:

Everyone who feels why pay anything when we can wait and match. Every young good player wants an extension locked. If that player feels disrespected he can just take qualifying offer (or threaten to do so)...and leave in FA after 1 year.  

A lowball offer will make him feel more disrespected than anything 

1 minute ago, I❤️JV said:

True but JJJ would be rash to make such a move. The team would be right in suggesting we wait to see how healthy he is or ask for a discount along the lines that Steph Curry took with Golden State. 

16 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

The player can take the QO, but no rookie player has done that yet. And it's especially risky for a player like JJJ who has missed 45% of the team's games so far. Lots of players have waited for the max, like Boogie and Isaiah Thomas, got injured, and will never come close to making up the lost money. 

I agree with Allen. Wait. Talk to his agent and entourage and Jaren. Say we feel you can be a max player, but need to see you healthy for a year first. So we're not going to insult you with an offer that we know you won't agree to. 

Teams only have RFA rights once in a player's career. They need to use it. 

So I can't vote, because my option in not listed. 

9 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

The player can take the QO, but no rookie player has done that yet. And it's especially risky for a player like JJJ who has missed 45% of the team's games so far. Lots of players have waited for the max, like Boogie and Isaiah Thomas, got injured, and will never come close to making up the lost money. 

I agree with Allen. Wait. Talk to his agent and entourage and Jaren. Say we feel you can be a max player, but need to see you healthy for a year first. So we're not going to insult you with an offer that we know you won't agree to. 

Nerlens Noel's Big-Money Contract Chase Takes Wrong Turn in Dallas

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748064-nerlens-noels-big-money-contract-chase-takes-wrong-turn-in-dallas

Turned down 70/4 signed QO 4.1m...as a FA signed for the minimum at OKC

11 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

So I can't vote, because my option in not listed. 

See the source image

Jaren disrespect gotta stop. Maybe he’s injury prone cool, but if he shows he can stay healthy next season you pay the man point blank period. He has all the tools to be great, rhythm is just off and it’s not helping that TJ isn’t playing him with the starters  

8 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

It's like saying why offer De'Aaron Fox full 5 year max with 5th year player option....just wait till RFA...and see 3J in Knicks jersey in 2.5 years.

So you've asked the question and criticized everyone's answers (which are shockingly consistent I might add). What's your answer? 

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

So you've asked the question and criticized everyone's answers (which are shockingly consistent I might add). What's your answer? 

Offer not offensive deal with a lot of incentives (health related)....like 85/4 going up to 100 with incentives  

8 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Offer not offensive deal with a lot of incentives (health related)....like 85/4 going up to 100 with incentives  

I wouldn't be upset if that's what the Grizzlies do but I don't know if JJJ and his agent would feel the same. I believe they are thinking max deal with incentives and over $100 million base. 

It's interesting that your opinion of what the Grizzlies should do isn't an option...

Just now, chipc3 said:

I wouldn't be upset if that's what the Grizzlies do but I don't know if JJJ and his agent would feel the same. 

That's what I think....3J probably getting 5 year max...it's about trust/believe. Sure we can match max offer in RFA or offer max first...but it's not going to be the same as maxing him at the extension. If we do not extend him I am almost sure he will leave after his next contract (if he is a star at that time)...if he's just a good player he might stay...so it's about believe about Jaren being a star. Are we (FO)believe he will be one and treat him accordingly now so he can remember later...or treat him like a good player he is now and offer Jaylen Brown contract and hope for the best.

1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

It's like saying why offer De'Aaron Fox full 5 year max with 5th year player option....just wait till RFA...and see 3J in Knicks jersey in 2.5 years.

Fox already proved himself, went from 11 and 4 in his first year to 21 and 7 in his 3rd. 

3J hasn't shown as much improvement. In his 2nd year he went from 14 to 17 ppg and his rebounding/fouling got worse. This year is a throw away. 17 and 4.5 with 4 fouls per game is not max level, he needs to produce/prove more

19 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Fox already proved himself, went from 11 and 4 in his first year to 21 and 7 in his 3rd. 

3J hasn't shown as much improvement. In his 2nd year he went from 14 to 17 ppg and his rebounding/fouling got worse. This year is a throw away. 17 and 4.5 with 4 fouls per game is not max level, he needs to produce/prove more

Real question for you.    If JJJ isn't the guy(foundation piece).  Who on the roster do you think should be developed as Next man up?   Ja is Foundation Piece so who could be the 2nd or even 3rd guy if we eliminate Jaren from convo.    

Personally, i am a firm believer that majority of NBA success has a lot more to do with Opportunity, Fit and Organizational push than simply just talent.   Which of these guys could develop into That Dude if they get the leash and push that Jaren and Ja do?  

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Real question for you.    If JJJ isn't the guy(foundation piece).  Who on the roster do you think should be developed as Next man up?   Ja is Foundation Piece so who could be the 2nd or even 3rd guy if we eliminate Jaren from convo.    

Personally, i am a firm believer that majority of NBA success has a lot more to do with Opportunity, Fit and Organizational push than simply just talent.   Which of these guys could develop into That Dude if they get the leash and push that Jaren and Ja do?  

The next lottery pick...

4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Personally, i am a firm believer that majority of NBA success has a lot more to do with Opportunity, Fit and Organizational push than simply just talent.   

Jerry Krause and Reinsdorf thought that way too when they broke up the Bulls dynasty.  They never returned to the NBA Finals.  

I'd say the opposite.  An NBA player's development depends more on his talent and drive to succeed than anything the organization does.

Just now, chipc3 said:

The next lottery pick...

nah has to be on current roster.  I remember Tony Allen saying on Vernon show before.  (paraphrasing) "Everybody in NBA is talented.  You have to be talented to even get here.   Politics has a lot to do with which guys do succeed and which ones fail." 

My question is limited to current roster. 

been saying it for a long time now...

I'd know his value from top to bottom. ie, I'd know what he might fetch in the lottery this summer.

I really like jjj. think he could turn into an outstanding player in this league..

the problem- to date, he has proven to be injury prone and a guy that simply can't stay on the floor due to constant silly fouling.

I have said numerous times over the last year or so....the fo is at the poker table.. about to be ante up.

slim.