memphis slim

current rotation and needed adjustments

3 hours ago, The J Crew said:

That's been the talked about lineup for a while, since we knew that Jaren was coming back. A bigger, slower lineup. Hope Kyle can still guard faster 3's. Bball reference has Kyle playing 0% at the SF this year. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/anderky01.html

0% seems wrong.  There were a number of games early in the season when Clarke started next to Anderson and Valanciunas.  Anderson was definitely playing SF in those lineups imo.  BBall reference apparently has Clarke as the SF for those minutes, I don't agree with that.

That said, I would say Anderson is probably best as a PF in a vacuum.  That doesn't mean he might not also be the starting SF in our best lineup given the rest of the roster

24 minutes ago, grizzknob said:

0% seems wrong.  There were a number of games early in the season when Clarke started next to Anderson and Valanciunas.  Anderson was definitely playing SF in those lineups imo.  BBall reference apparently has Clarke as the SF for those minutes, I don't agree with that.

That said, I would say Anderson is probably best as a PF in a vacuum.  That doesn't mean he might not also be the starting SF in our best lineup given the rest of the roster

It does seem like Kyle would have had to have played some SF this season.  

6 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

How ridiculous would it be to move Dillon to the 2, Kyle to the 3 for a starting lineup of Ja/Dillon/Kyle/Jaren/JV? Is this feasible?

Sure and in fact once JJJ gets back into shape I expect it.

12 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

How ridiculous would it be to move Dillon to the 2, Kyle to the 3 for a starting lineup of Ja/Dillon/Kyle/Jaren/JV? Is this feasible?

That should be the starting line up.

Sorry Grayson...

19 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

that lineup wasn't really good last year.   Having a shooter at SG spot has been a net positive this season no matter if it is Bane or Grayson.   Kyle has been more productive as a Grizz when playing PF.   Dillon has been more productive as a SG.    So IMHO that lineup is not optimizing our best players.   

Kyle can play either Forward spot off the bench.   Why disrupt 3 players (Kyle Grayson Dillon) to integrate one when you can just replace one for one (kyle for Jaren).  

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

that lineup wasn't really good last year.   Having a shooter at SG spot has been a net positive this season no matter if it is Bane or Grayson.   Kyle has been more productive as a Grizz when playing PF.   Dillon has been more productive as a SG.    So IMHO that lineup is not optimizing our best players.   

Kyle can play either Forward spot off the bench.   Why disrupt 3 players (Kyle Grayson Dillon) to integrate one when you can just replace one for one (kyle for Jaren).  

I think you are right, GTF. I think when they deem Jaren ready to start, that Kyle goes to the 2nd unit.

Now if we could just get Taylor to start Desmond or preferably DeAnthony at SG. 

8 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

I think you are right, GTF. I think when they deem Jaren ready to start, that Kyle goes to the 2nd unit.

Now if we could just get Taylor to start Desmond or preferably DeAnthony at SG. 

i have given up on DMelt ever starting and it def won't happen with only 8 games left.   Grayson is the starter for now and that is fine.   As for next season i hope it isn't any of them starting.  I want it to be a SG vet that they consolidated some of these guys for in a trade.   

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

i have given up on DMelt ever starting and it def won't happen with only 8 games left.   Grayson is the starter for now and that is fine.   As for next season i hope it isn't any of them starting.  I want it to be a SG vet that they consolidated some of these guys for in a trade.   

Yeah, not this year. I fear not ever. DMelt should demand a trade, or the FO should shop him. Many FOs in the league know how good he is, even if Taylor doesn't seem to. 

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

Yeah, not this year. I fear not ever. DMelt should demand a trade, or the FO should shop him. Many FOs in the league know how good he is, even if Taylor doesn't seem to. 

I suspect DMelt doesn't stick to the playbook enough for Taylors liking or maybe he is slow to catch on to the schemes.    just seems like he gets similar treatment as Josh Jackson did when it comes to Taylor.   No matter how productive he has been it is rare he is rewarded with PT.    His role will be permanently off the bench from what i have seen.   Only way to increase minutes for him will be if he can learn to play some PG.   I wish they would have used more of this season to develop him there.  

5 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

LOL...ppl like DMelt to not demand trades...they are traded or not...you need to be Top 30 in the NBA to demand anything.

2 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

LOL...ppl like DMelt to not demand trades...they are traded or not...you need to be Top 30 in the NBA to demand anything.

Probably true. DMelt would get a good return. Many FOs are analytics driven now, and DMelt is an analytics darling. 

On 4/30/2021 at 4:43 PM, Ja_Rules said:

Ja/Tyus

Allen/Melton

Dillon/Bane 

Jaren/SlowMo

JV/Tillman

Allen lost his stroke

Ja/Tyus

Bane/Melton

Dillon/SlowMo

Jaren/Clarke 

JV/Tillman 

We are clearly short on 2 good vets players, able to take responsability in money time. It works today with Bane buyt most of the time, Ja try to be the savior and miss. He will become the key player but in 4 or 5 years from now. If we want to win before that, we need a strong vet ( Mike,  or Rose Style) able to make a difference when games are tight. And improving the team only through draft could let the team 2 years away from beeing 2 years away... 

12 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

Allen lost his stroke

Ja/Tyus

Bane/Melton

Dillon/SlowMo

Jaren/Clarke 

JV/Tillman 

If Allen is injured/out then this makes the most sense.   Let's hope TJ stops mucking around and starts Jaren.  

On 5/6/2021 at 11:15 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

If Allen is injured/out then this makes the most sense.   Let's hope TJ stops mucking around and starts Jaren.  

He needs to start from this point forward. No Grayson just move DB to SG and KA to SF

On 5/6/2021 at 12:15 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

SlowMo and Tyus would fix the bench problemns and Bane/Dillon fit well next Ja. TJ has to realize that is better to start Jaren sooner than later, but doing so he should continue to feed JV and make him the focus of offense let Jaren play of the opportunities around Ja/JV/Dillon. 

9 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

He needs to start from this point forward. No Grayson just move DB to SG and KA to SF

This is a horrible idea 

14 hours ago, grizz09 said:

This is a horrible idea 

Worked last night though....

4 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

That lineup isn't why they won.   he closed with melton at SG and Kyle back at PF. 

5 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

Kyle at SF is a terrible idea.  Either keep current starting rotation when Allen is back and let JJJ be 6th man, or if JJJ is starting then bring Kyle in as backup 4 or PG in either a tyus/Melton/bane/Kyle/Tillman rotation or Kyle/Melton/bane/clarke/Tillman group.  Dillon has also been much better at SF this year paired primarily with Allen or bane at SG.  Honestly, they should’ve just kept JJJ out for the year.  Team chemistry and individual rhythm is all sorts of messed up right now.

5 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

16 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That lineup isn't why they won.   he closed with melton at SG and Kyle back at PF. 

After the Winslow and Tyus thing, coach is scaried to bench Kyle after this amazing year, but that is the right move. Bane already prove that he plays better with the starters being the 4th/5th option and just using the space and creating space for that lineup.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:37 PM, Ja_Rules said:

Allen lost his stroke

Ja/Tyus

Bane/Melton

Dillon/SlowMo

Jaren/Clarke 

JV/Tillman 

Since Allen lost his touch we better roll with this and SlowMo would be able to play pf/sf of the bench and get most minutes in the forward position after Dillon and Jaren.

I have no problem with Kyle starting at SF.

Jaren brings shooting (theoretically) into the starting lineup. Bane and Allen don't do enough other than shooting. Bane actually has not played well as a starter. He's shooting 32.8% from deep as a starter vs 47.6% off the bench. 

Melton is too small and fits well off the bench, but Jenkins probably should try and figure out how to get him more minutes. 

It makes the Grizzlies big and maybe a bit slow on D, but Kyle gives a much-needed secondary playmaker in the starting unit. 

Jenkins just needs to do a better job staggering some of the starters with the bench. This team basically lacks creators/facilitators. Ja and Kyle are by far the most reliable in those roles. Jones is solid but can't carry/organize the bench offense on his own. Melton, Allen, Brooks, Bane....these guys are all inconsistent trying to create. They can make plays, just aren't reliable. None of the bigs are particularly good passers either (Tillman may be the best).

The worst lineup last night was probably the late 1st quarter Jaren + bench lineup....I basically think this team can struggle, especially in the halfcourt, whenever Ja, Kyle and JV are on the bench. JV may seem weird to put there but he can keep a bad offense afloat for a short spurt with his offensive rebounding and ability to force the D to send bodies to him. 

12 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

After the Winslow and Tyus thing, coach is scaried to bench Kyle after this amazing year, but that is the right move. Bane already prove that he plays better with the starters being the 4th/5th option and just using the space and creating space for that lineup.

Since Allen lost his touch we better roll with this and SlowMo would be able to play pf/sf of the bench and get most minutes in the forward position after Dillon and Jaren.

The bolded is patently false.  He’s actually quite terrible as a starter.  Team is only 5-10 or 5-11 when he starts and he shoots less than 35% from 3 as a starter.  He is a far better player off the bench where he can defend and be defended by lesser players.  Team has clearly been better with Allen playing that spacing starter role.  I think Allen will be fine once his hand heals.  He had been in a slump and that injury made it worse. 

11 hours ago, grizz09 said:

The bolded is patently false.  He’s actually quite terrible as a starter.  Team is only 5-10 or 5-11 when he starts and he shoots less than 35% from 3 as a starter.  He is a far better player off the bench where he can defend and be defended by lesser players.  Team has clearly been better with Allen playing that spacing starter role.  I think Allen will be fine once his hand heals.  He had been in a slump and that injury made it worse. 

You actually believe the record of the team should be factored into who should start or not? Wow. That means you care more about the team's overall record than the percentage of three point shots a person hits. What a strange way to think...

That is sarcasm in case anyone doesn't get it. 

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

You actually believe the record of the team should be factored into who should start or not? Wow. That means you care more about the team's overall record than the percentage of three point shots a person hits. What a strange way to think...

That is sarcasm in case anyone doesn't get it. 

That's just stupid...we're not in 1990's anymore....wingspan is the most important in 2021...so basically you should start with  the 5 longest wingspans.