memphis slim

current rotation and needed adjustments

I don't really know why jjj is not starting at this point.

I also don't know why winslow is still taking tyus' minutes at this point.

I also don't care about the why's.

it needs to be fixed and quickly. the end of the season is coming in very close now and those two adjustments need to be made.

I was on-board with the winslow experiment and I also understood jjj initially coming off the bench....but, enough already.

thoughts?

slim.

10 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

it needs to be fixed and quickly. the end of the season is coming in very close now and those two adjustments need to be made.

I was on-board with the winslow experiment and I also understood jjj initially coming off the bench....but, enough already.

thoughts?

slim.

I just posted s diatribe in another “down to the wire” thread.  Basically... our rotation/bench is too cluttered and unless we make some noise/waves in the playoffs/play-ins then we need a major rotation/bench overhaul.  We probably get 80% of the wins with a fraction of the maintenance/drama/cost with just Ja/JV/Melton/Bane/Konchar/McDermott.  The other pieces don’t really fit.  And they either cost too much or have more theoretical trade value than actual value.  

... Either way we need to stockpile draft picks.  At least 2 probably 3 for opening night.  And still maybe think about a draft/stash guy.

I am happy sticking with the successful starting unit. JJJ hasn't shown me anything to think he deserves to force one of the starters down. Maybe Grayson Allen but if I would replace Grayson it would be with Melton over JJJ. 

Sorry JJJ has been out so long but he's been gone long enough that he needs to prove he is worth messing with the chemistry of the starting five. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I am happy sticking with the successful starting unit. JJJ hasn't shown me anything to think he deserves to force one of the starters down. Maybe Grayson Allen but if I would replace Grayson it would be with Melton over JJJ. 

Sorry JJJ has been out so long but he's been gone long enough that he needs to prove he is worth messing with the chemistry of the starting five. 

Jaren raises the ceiling of the team if we get him back to where he was last year. I'm ok with playing him.

Justise needs to sit unless we need him to defend an elite wing scorer in spot minutes. Clarke needs to sit until he gets right somehow.

Play X. Play Tyus.

It's pretty hard to blame Jaren for the starting unit's struggles the last two games, as he hasn't started. The whole team is playing bad, not just the bench. I believe next game Jaren will be starting at PF, and then switch to Center like he has been with the bench unit. Pretty much what I've been saying for the entire year. 

I feel like we've seen enough of the Justise Winslow experiment at backup PG. He's not awful, but no doubt the bench plays better with Tyus at the helm. Justise was effective enough as a cutter that he can still play backup SF (plus I think he's better at guarding SFs than PGs). Let Bane and Justise fight for minutes, as Bane hasn't really been that good for the last couple of weeks. 

5 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

It's pretty hard to blame Jaren for the starting unit's struggles the last two games, as he hasn't started.

Excuses, excuses. 

44 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

It's pretty hard to blame Jaren for the starting unit's struggles the last two games, as he hasn't started.

WARNING: you could be banned for posting such factual, reasonable, logical posts like this.

Only over-reactive, illogical posts are welcomed...and Chip's gifs

I agree. JJJ should start now. He need to play with Ja/JJJ/Dilon/Slomo as this is the unit who can make things happen in PO time + the fact that second unit will be great.

Also agree with Winslow. Just let him go, his shoot is too bad . 

We need to let Winslow walk. We tried. It didn't work. Move on.

6 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

We need to let Winslow walk. We tried. It didn't work. Move on.

I agree. this will be a major decision in this fo’s tenure. ego aside, I see no reason to pick it up. now, we do have to ‘use’ a good portion of that $13m. it’s not as easy as signing a couple of good/decent players because the cupboard is already packed...we need superior talent rather than 4 good players. 

slim. 

People get way to hung up on who starts and who doesn't.

It matters more who closes the game and who gets the most minutes.

JJJ is on a minutes restriction now so starting is not a big deal right now.

1 minute ago, Grizzled Vet said:

See the source image

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

JJJ is also averaging 5 fouls a game in 22 minutes so that unofficial minutes restriction should be consistent even when he's fully healthy

1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

JJJ is also averaging 5 fouls a game in 22 minutes so that unofficial minutes restriction should be consistent even when he's fully healthy

See the source image

jjj needs to start in order for the team to understand the thought process moving forward. agreed in total as far as his complete lack of maturation re fouling. it is beyond elementary and starting to define his career sadly.

tyus not getting minutes is beginning to look personal. you traded, you tried (with winslow)....it is not working. get over it. stop digging and climb out of the hole. (unless we are going down the wallace, by all things holy, we are right on this guy and sign here route...)

slim.

Tonight will be interesting if Allen doesn't go because of his wrist injury. I Assume Bane and Melton will pick up his minutes but who plays the SF role now? Do you move Winslow down low and play Tyus at PG or bring up Konchar? 

Yeah once Jaren starts starting it will begin another adjustment period

23 hours ago, memphis slim said:

thoughts?

slim.

Ja/Tyus

Allen/Melton

Dillon/Bane 

Jaren/SlowMo

JV/Tillman

Fixed 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Tonight will be interesting if Allen doesn't go because of his wrist injury. I Assume Bane and Melton will pick up his minutes but who plays the SF role now? Do you move Winslow down low and play Tyus at PG or bring up Konchar? 

If Allen is out that makes decision even easier, no excuses move Winslow to the backup sf and free Tyus Jones

Just give it a try tonight:  Ja, Dillon, Winslow, JJJ, Jonas

That was the projected starting five when Winslow was acquired.  Give them some minutes.  How many minutes have they played together so far?

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I will riot if they bench tyus for konchar

19 hours ago, memphis slim said:

I agree. this will be a major decision in this fo’s tenure. ego aside, I see no reason to pick it up. now, we do have to ‘use’ a good portion of that $13m. it’s not as easy as signing a couple of good/decent players because the cupboard is already packed...we need superior talent rather than 4 good players. 

slim. 

I would love a nice talent stacked with JJJ and Ja. We just need that 3rd

(1) For this team to be what we want it to be JJJ has to play with Ja. We're just quibbling over when. I think now is the time. Minimum two alley-oops a game, please. 

(2) Winslow left his mojo somewhere and it ain't coming back this season. He can sit and be injury insurance. 

(3) If Bane plays he has to get shots or why is he out there?

(4) Lots of minutes for Tillman and Melton

(5) Jones is the backup PG. If you want to change that do it next pre-season.

(6) Make a choice re Allen/Melton and stick to it. If one of them has an off night, more minutes for the other, or put in someone else. 

(7) Clarke and Konchar only as needed, but both can be useful if we are stalled and need a boost, or of someone's getting beaten up 1-1 and they might do better. 

(8) Until the play-in games, maybe Ja can dial back the suicidal drives to the hoop a bit. 

(9) Remember that once in a while you just feed JV and let him run up the score until the opponent adjusts. 

5 hours ago, TimBC said:

(9) Remember that once in a while you just feed JV and let him run up the score until the opponent adjusts. 

I’ll take a #9 please.