Ole Dirty Klondike

What To Do With the Draft Pick?

Assuming we make the playoffs, what do we do with the draft pick? Do we really need more young role players on this team? It seems to me we already have a talent crunch with the role playing guys we have now. We would probably pick between 17-20 if we make the playoffs, yeah yeah yeah, I know this team has been good at evaluating talent. Brandon Clarke was a good pick, Desmond Bane was a good pick, Xavier Tillman is a good pick but we also have Grayson Allen and Tyus Jones and Kyle Anderson and De'Anthony Melton and Justise WInslow (possibly). Those are basically all bench players.

Should we just trade this for like a future pick or something? Being that we more than likely won't be in the lottery with a chance to move up, I just don't see any reason to select another mid-first rounder or later to develop him only so he can sit on the bench. We need a star but I don't think we have enough to trade up. I would probably just trade out for a future 1st round pick or something in this draft (or package this pick with Allen, and Winslow after picking up his option to see what we would get)

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Assuming we make the playoffs, what do we do with the draft pick? Do we really need more young role players on this team? It seems to me we already have a talent crunch with the role playing guys we have now. We would probably pick between 17-20 if we make the playoffs, yeah yeah yeah, I know this team has been good at evaluating talent. Brandon Clarke was a good pick, Desmond Bane was a good pick, Xavier Tillman is a good pick but we also have Grayson Allen and Tyus Jones and Kyle Anderson and De'Anthony Melton and Justise WInslow (possibly). Those are basically all bench players.

Should we just trade this for like a future pick or something? Being that we more than likely won't be in the lottery with a chance to move up, I just don't see any reason to select another mid-first rounder or later to develop him only so he can sit on the bench. We need a star but I don't think we have enough to trade up. I would probably just trade out for a future 1st round pick or something in this draft (or package this pick with Allen, and Winslow after picking up his option to see what we would get)

Thoughts?

I would chase “upside”.  Same with the Blazers’ 2nd rounder.  Yeah, “floor guys” might not find shots or even minutes on our team.  We already have enough depth.  If we want to chase “BPA/Analytics types” we can buy a second round pick or trade a couple of future 2nds, cash and someone like Konchar to a cash-strapped team for a late first.  

I have Vrenz Bleijenbergh at 1.  Ideal pick in the 18-22 range — even more so if we can trade DOWN to get him although he is moving up at NBA Draft Room into the high 30’s.  I also really like Ibou Dianko-Badji as a project/raw/upside shot blocker/dunker.  High ceiling.  Floor: he’s 7’1 or so with a crazy wingspan and decent straight line speed.  

Typical Grizzlies Moneyball picks available in the late first (and maybe even late second): Quentin Grimes, Chris Duarte, Johnny Juzang, Isaiah Mobley, Charles Bassey, Neemias Quetta, Tre Mann, Miles McBride, Joel Ayayi, Raiquan Gray, Aaron Henry, Herbert Jones, and Kai Sotto.

Just now, ALT GRIND said:

I would chase “upside”.  Same with the Blazers’ 2nd rounder.  Yeah, “floor guys” might not find shots or even minutes on our team.  We already have enough depth.  If we want to chase “BPA/Analytics types” we can buy a second round pick or trade a couple of future 2nds, cash and someone like Konchar to a cash-strapped team for a late first.  

I have Vrenz Bleijenbergh at 1.  Ideal pick in the 18-22 range — even more so if we can trade DOWN to get him although he is moving up at NBA Draft Room into the high 30’s.  I also really like Ibou Dianko-Badji as a project/raw/upside shot blocker/dunker.  High ceiling.  Floor: he’s 7’1 or so with a crazy wingspan and decent straight line speed.  

Typical Grizzlies Moneyball picks available in the late first (and maybe even late second): Quentin Grimes, Chris Duarte, Johnny Juzang, Isaiah Mobley, Charles Bassey, Neemias Quetta, Tre Mann, Miles McBride, Joel Ayayi, Raiquan Gray, Aaron Henry, Herbert Jones, and Kai Sotto.

Would any of those guys get any minutes over anyone?

17 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Would any of those guys get any minutes over anyone?

Nobody in this draft outside of Cade/Mobley/Green/Suggs would get minutes on this team.  I think Vrenz would as a lanky scorer/shooter/passer.  Isaiah Todd probably would as a stretch 4 who might also be able to play some 3.  Badji or another 7 foot shot blocker type could probably also see minutes.  

That’s why I don’t wanna draft “safe” guys — those guys lack huge upside and their floors are a bit too low too — and we have a bunch of solid “toolsy” guys already.  

It’s a weird roster because we already have a championship level supporting cast. We just need stars to carry them.

So yeah another role player with the 17 or 18th pick doesn’t help at all.

Hopefully Ja and Jaren can step up because I don’t see how we would get a third guy. 

6 minutes ago, Allen said:

It’s a weird roster because we already have a championship level supporting cast. We just need stars to carry them.

Hopefully Ja and Jaren can step up because I don’t see how we would get a third guy. 

Yeah:  Draft Boom/Bust players.  Replacement level rotation guys won’t move the needle.  That is, it’s easier to move the needle on a tank-tastic team than it is on a play-in game caliber team.  And over the next few years I imagine we can compete for a top 3-4 seed.  Even tougher for draft picks to move the needle — basically have to draft someone like Toni Kukoc and wait on him.  

We definitely need to make a consolidating trade for a star level player.  Whether that means trading our draft picks or current players on the roster we shall see.  But we definitely do have plenty of depth.

44 minutes ago, cdp said:

Depends where we draft and who's on the board

Right now we're around 17 I think. I'm thinking between 15-20 because we more than likely will make the playoffs. I can't say with certainty but I think it's a 90% chance we end up between 15-20 and I'm not sure picking up a player in that range ill do much to help us next year

54 minutes ago, Allen said:

Yeah, that's the dilemma. If we had a 3rd star (preferably #1 option), this team could be a contender with the supporting cast that we have. I don't see how adding another mid to late first rounder will do anything. Would that pick and Utah's pick plus Allen's contract and picking up Winslow's option entice another team?

22 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

We definitely need to make a consolidating trade for a star level player.  Whether that means trading our draft picks or current players on the roster we shall see.  But we definitely do have plenty of depth.

Agreed but what will it take?

I might shop the pick and a player or two for one higher end player. Is there a team that wants to go young and get assets willing to ship their stud?

14 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Thoughts?

Depending on what it ends up taking to extend and keep JJJ and Ja, some of those bench guys may end up too expensive to keep. JV is playing at a level that would justify paying to keep him when his contract is up, and Tyus Jones as a point guard would be hard to replace in the draft. But it may be a bit much to keep both those guys AND re-sign Winslow, Allen, and Anderson when their contracts are up. Those draft picks will allow us to draft replacements on cost controlled contracts, unless we use them in a trade. But I'm not sure any of them are high enough to get us what we really need which is the third piece of a big three. The way JV is playing our big three may end up being Ja, JJJ, and JV.

3 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

I would give that pick and a rotation guy for Lu Dort. 

I'm not quite sure they'd swap Dort for Ja or Jaren right now. Talk about lightning in a bottle.

21 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

To get a real star it will require either Ja or JJJ or both

yeah, that's to get a big name superstar, that's not happening and there's no way I'm trading Ja and/or JJJ at this point. If you look at the top 15 scorers in the league, none of them are really available via trade. I mean, the most likely is Zach Lavine and Bradley Beal but I'm not sure how available they are either.

I would still target Malcolm Brogdon but not sure if Indy would make any moves or where they are headed. I think our best bet is to trade up to get in the top 3 but not sure if that could happen either. It's just a tough situation to be in.

11 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Depending on what it ends up taking to extend and keep JJJ and Ja, some of those bench guys may end up too expensive to keep. JV is playing at a level that would justify paying to keep him when his contract is up, and Tyus Jones as a point guard would be hard to replace in the draft. But it may be a bit much to keep both those guys AND re-sign Winslow, Allen, and Anderson when their contracts are up. Those draft picks will allow us to draft replacements on cost controlled contracts, unless we use them in a trade. But I'm not sure any of them are high enough to get us what we really need which is the third piece of a big three. The way JV is playing our big three may end up being Ja, JJJ, and JV.

I doubt if Justise is in the team's long term plans unless he makes a remarkable recovery. I do expect them to pick up his option for 1 year but I don't see him here long term. I would take KA over him him any day. Allen is a toss up depending on what trades are available.

1 minute ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

yeah, that's to get a big name superstar, that's not happening and there's no way I'm trading Ja and/or JJJ at this point. If you look at the top 15 scorers in the league, none of them are really available via trade. I mean, the most likely is Zach Lavine and Bradley Beal but I'm not sure how available they are either.

I would still target Malcolm Brogdon but not sure if Indy would make any moves or where they are headed. I think our best bet is to trade up to get in the top 3 but not sure if that could happen either. It's just a tough situation to be in.

I doubt if Justise is in the team's long term plans unless he makes a remarkable recovery. I do expect them to pick up his option for 1 year but I don't see him here long term. I would take KA over him him any day. Allen is a toss up depending on what trades are available.

Indy will definetely trade Brogdon in the next year or two. They almost never keep a player into their 30's on a 3rd big contract. 

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

Indy will definetely trade Brogdon in the next year or two. They almost never keep a player into their 30's on a 3rd big contract. 

He's on a good contract to be in the low 20 millions. If he's gettable, we should go after him by picking up WInslow's option and moving WInslow, Allen, filler and a couple of first round picks. He's not a superstar but would be a big upgrade and give us 2 ballhandlers to let Ja play off of the ball more.

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

The last 2 years we've had 2 big contracts we thought we'd get something before because they're expiring or useful player

Dieng- got nothing

Iguodala- not only got nothing, got absolutely fleeced because of our deperation to get something out of it and made a bad move.

Let's not make the same mistake with an expiring Justise Winslow.

15 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Right now we're around 17 I think. I'm thinking between 15-20 because we more than likely will make the playoffs. I can't say with certainty but I think it's a 90% chance we end up between 15-20 and I'm not sure picking up a player in that range ill do much to help us next year

Lookin at the nbadraft mock board right cuz i'm....board lol, and if the actual draft plays out the same then to me it's either draft Jalen Johnson or trade the pick. The other options don't seem very enticing.

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

He's on a good contract to be in the low 20 millions. If he's gettable, we should go after him by picking up WInslow's option and moving WInslow, Allen, filler and a couple of first round picks. He's not a superstar but would be a big upgrade and give us 2 ballhandlers to let Ja play off of the ball more.

If you do that before Winslow's option decision date you can trade him and Indy can reject his option.  Just have to pay whatever the buyout is (if it is one usually is) 

8 minutes ago, cdp said:

Lookin at the nbadraft mock board right cuz i'm....board lol, and if the actual draft plays out the same then to me it's either draft Jalen Johnson or trade the pick. The other options don't seem very enticing.

I've had my eye on Johnson for a while now, he has a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses as Winslow but would be younger, cheaper, and hopefully healthier.

8 minutes ago, cdp said:

I think we should trade down to get Vrenz with benefits (protected future 1st round pick and cash considerations).  

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I think Brogdon makes a Top 4 team in the West if we have a healthy Jaren and Ja too.     That will give us legit 4 guys that can create their own offense ( ja Jaren Malcolm and Dillon) plus a great rotation of bench guys ( Melton, Bane, Xavier, BC and Kyle).    Brogdon is top flight fit for us because he can run Point AND Defend at a high level.     I really dont see any other 2 way wing options that are equally helpful and gettable out there.