kevofrommempho

Derrick Rose vs Ja Morant

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

interesting.  Chicago commentators kept comparing Ja favorably to Drose too.  

Traitor! What are you doing listening to Chicago's commentators???

See the source image

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

interesting.  Chicago commentators kept comparing Ja favorably to Drose too.  

I listened to them too.........Chip, the internet streams had the Chicago broadcast I watched.

1 minute ago, Jetfixer said:

I listened to them too.........Chip, the internet streams had the Chicago broadcast I watched.

See the source image

Yeah Ja and Jaren have a decent chance to be Derrick Rose and Giannis type players 

Derrick Rose was a beast, the guy was 100 mile an hour freight train, even moreso than westbrook was.

Ja is not close to derrick rose. I am sorry, but he isn't.

Derrick basically put 15 years of wear and tear on his body in 3 years.

Ja doesn't have that killer instinct. Not close.

33 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Derrick Rose was a beast, the guy was 100 mile an hour freight train, even moreso than westbrook was.

Ja is not close to derrick rose. I am sorry, but he isn't.

Derrick basically put 15 years of wear and tear on his body in 3 years.

Ja doesn't have that killer instinct. Not close.

I just threw up a little in my mouth. I can't believe I am going to agree with KBM on something. 

Even when playing behind in crutch time, I often see Ja nonchalantly walking the ball up like it's back yard ball and the score don't matter. 

Worse than that is that he just doesn't look as dangerous anymore applying pressure on the D. Last season teams were legit scared of him barring down on them, he put them on their heels or highlight reeled them. This year he's whining a lot more to the refs and doing that stupid Trey Young move of getting in the lane and backing up putting the defender on his hip waiting for a play to develop or hunting for a foul. Basically not attacking as much and forcing the D to react to you.

Prime D Rose was a barrel down and cramp it down your throat through sheer speed, power and will to an MVP. 

Come on guys, nobody is arguing that Ja is like DRose in terms of game or personality. The only point made by the OP is how similar their stats were in their first two seasons, and that's not debatable. How they each got there and what that means for Ja's future is a different matter.

From a purely statistical standpoint, I see two major differences. First, DRose played a disproportionately higher number of minutes per game (of course he played more games since Ja has only had shortened seasons), which I believe was a factor in his later health issues. Second, while DRose was even a worse three point shooter than Ja at this point in their careers, he improved significantly after his rookie season while Ja has taken a step back. I know not having JJJ is a major factor for this, but it's a concerning sign.

But the bottom line is despite all the nitpicking Ja is putting out great numbers and he is, along with JV, the only reason we're fighting for a playoff spot instead of a race to the bottom with the Wolves. Give the guy a full offseason and JJJ on the court and I'm sure we'll see major improvements.

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

Come on guys, nobody is arguing that Ja is like DRose in terms of game or personality. The only point made by the OP is how similar their stats were in their first two seasons, and that's not debatable. How they each got there and what that means for Ja's future is a different matter.

From a purely statistical standpoint, I see two major differences. First, DRose played a disproportionately higher number of minutes per game (of course he played more games since Ja has only had shortened seasons), which I believe was a factor in his later health issues. Second, while DRose was even a worse three point shooter than Ja at this point in their careers, he improved significantly after his rookie season while Ja has taken a step back. I know not having JJJ is a major factor for this, but it's a concerning sign.

But the bottom line is despite all the nitpicking Ja is putting out great numbers and he is, along with JV, the only reason we're fighting for a playoff spot instead of a race to the bottom with the Wolves. Give the guy a full offseason and JJJ on the court and I'm sure we'll see major improvements.

+1. Ja play only one and half season and he will improve, just need time. I have no doubt that he got the champion mentality Rose got as well. At this moment, he seems to be frustrated and lack of confidence in his ability to shoot but he will become a good shooter no doubt. Mike was not good at the beggining of his career as well and he became the great player we know.

Nothing to do here but i'm more worry about JJJ. Lots of injuries and i'm not so sure he really work hard enough to make his body stronger. He seems kind of chill guys, friendly,good kids,  enjoying life. But does it put enough effort and disciplin that are required to become a superstar? Time will tell. 

With the news of Jamal Murray's knee injury, it does make me wonder if the FO won't start resting Ja for a couple games this season, especially as cautious as they have been with these other injuries.

37 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

With the news of Jamal Murray's knee injury, it does make me wonder if the FO won't start resting Ja for a couple games this season, especially as cautious as they have been with these other injuries.

I was wondering the opposite. With Gary Harris gone and Jamaal Murray injured, will Denver be a team that could fall in the standings and therefore a team the Grizzlies could catch. The Nuggets are starting Facundo Campazzo at PG right now with the main guard back up being Monte Morris. Sure the front line of Porter, Gordon and Nokic is amazing but who is going to get them the ball? 

I hope Winslow, Melton and JJJ are unleashed so the Grizzlies can make a run higher up in the standings not be passive and fall further. 

56 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I was wondering the opposite. With Gary Harris gone and Jamaal Murray injured, will Denver be a team that could fall in the standings and therefore a team the Grizzlies could catch. The Nuggets are starting Facundo Campazzo at PG right now with the main guard back up being Monte Morris. Sure the front line of Porter, Gordon and Nokic is amazing but who is going to get them the ball? 

I hope Winslow, Melton and JJJ are unleashed so the Grizzlies can make a run higher up in the standings not be passive and fall further. 

Well Jokic basically plays point guard for them.  He brings the ball up himself and averages nearly 9 assists.  They are 34-20.  Jokic will atleast carry them to a. 500 record the rest of the way putting them at 43-29.  

Morris will probably start eventually and Barton is also a solid ball handler.  Murray is more important when you need that game closer or in the playoffs when you need a scorer who can go off. 

10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Denver isn't losing a 6 game lead with 20 games to go.

if Memphis catches 1 team above them, it will be a good accomplishment (but that is in the playoff thread)

I think Rose was better, but Ja has a chance. Must work on his jumpers and on D awareness 

On 4/14/2021 at 9:15 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

They should. Specially woth our 7 games road trip. Sit it 2 or 3 games that are 99% Loss to help him to come back with a better energy.

Among pg's, Ja is pretty average in mpg played at 31.9 mpg.

Also sitting at that 31-32 MPG are CP3 and Jrue Holiday of Milwaukee, which is where TJ came from.

Jamal Murray was 3rd on MPG.

Based on who might be a candidate for sitting down and resting, especially based on past injuries, the Blazers need to consider having Dame sit (more) or significantly cut some minutes from him.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Among pg's, Ja is pretty average in mpg played at 31.9 mpg.

Also sitting at that 31-32 MPG are CP3 and Jrue Holiday of Milwaukee, which is where TJ came from.

Jamal Murray was 3rd on MPG.

Based on who might be a candidate for sitting down and resting, especially based on past injuries, the Blazers need to consider having Dame sit (more) or significantly cut some minutes from him.

Dame hasn't played less than 35.5 MPG in any season since he's in the NBA. I agree with your assessment but I doubt the Blazers will.

Ja ain’t DRose. 2 different type of dudes. But if he gets a Jumper he can be better than DRose. 

2 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Ja ain’t DRose. 2 different type of dudes. But if he gets a Jumper he can be better than DRose. 

We never really saw a prime d rose due to injuries. He was winning Mvp at 22.

I sometimes wish Ja would give his knees a break and chill out on the dunks 

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Donovan Mitchell injured today

I saw it, its terrible. He is playing out of his mind this year. Ppl talk about everybody, even Booker for MVP and dont talk about him.

22 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Dame hasn't played less than 35.5 MPG in any season since he's in the NBA. I agree with your assessment but I doubt the Blazers will.

They actually held him out tonight because of soreness in his hamstring. (DNP-Rt Hamstring)