Sign in to follow this  
Ole Dirty Klondike

Why No Love?????

For Big Lithuania?

This dude just repeatedly goes out there and does his job yet so many people on this board think he's dispensable, like we can just throw him away because his stats don't matter because they don't fit today's game. He's third in the league in rebounding, shooting nearly 80% from FT(for a big man!), and top 10 in the league in double doubles. 

He's nowhere near perfect as he doesn't play good D and he's kind of a dinosaur BUT you have to work with what you have and we have one of the best rebounding bigs in the league. He's the PERFECT COMPLEMENT to JJJ. He brings toughness, scoring in the paint and rebounding, JJJ brings defense, outside shooting and "fun" energy. He's not carrying the team but he sure as heck is filling in the gaps to help the team win. 

GIVE SOME LOVE TO BIG LITHUANIA!!!!!

valanciunas-e1554210123123.jpg&f=1&nofb=

what he has been doing is remarkable. I did not see zbo's double double streak being broken anytime soon and here comes jv. if we can get ja somewhat up to speed defensively, I think it will help jv tremendously. 

he is the big that jerry west could never land next to pau. let's not get trigger friendly with this guy. jaeeeeegeer.

slim.

This may be sacrilegious but i think i like JV more than i ever liked Marc or Pau.   He consistently plays like a grown man and you never have to coax him to play hard and aggressive.   He is more in the mold of Zbo and Tony in that they will always give 110% and do their job.   I respect that.   Big Ups to the Big Lithuanian.   

The biggest issue with the "he doesn't fit today's game" argument is looking at how many crappy non-traditional bigs out there. Most of the so-called modern bigs still struggle in some aspects of D, including struggling to switch or guard in space even if they're quicker than JV is, because the quickness difference between a perimeter player and even a modern big is usually a big gap. 

JV is an elite complimentary scorer (you don't need to run 30 plays for him) and an elite rebounder. He provides decent inside D in the paint and against post players, but struggles if he has to guard in space. Again, that last part is the same for most bigs. Heck, Chicago had 3 of them last night who can all shoot and can't guard inside or outside (Vucevic, Theis and Markkanen). JV can hit a 3 here or there to keep the D honest. He's not an elite passer but he isn't a terrible passer, while also being one of the top screeners in the game...a hugely underrated skill in the league since in the halfcourt it can be really hard for a small unit to create without a screener. It puts a lot of pressure on the better playmakers to manufacture shots with bad screens or in isolation, whereas with a legit screener you can still easily free guys up for shots/drives.

Also, he might have one of the best value contracts (excluding guys on rookie deals) in the league. 

He ain't perfect but I can respect him because he has proven that he will go at any big (with success) and he won't allow you to put a little munchin on him without abusing him.  He is really efficient inside of that paint and has mastered the lost art of throwing his weight around. 

1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

I ❤️JV

Me too ❤️

JV is the man. I wanna see him in public so I can buy him a beer. He has the blue collar aesthetic that this city loves.  

Who said he’s indispensable? All I’ve seen is mad love for the big guy. 2nd best player on the team (behind Dillon)

12 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

Who said he’s indispensable? All I’ve seen is mad love for the big guy. 2nd best player on the team (behind Dillon)

If J.V was not playing I believe memphis maybe 10 games under 500 right now  if the Grizzlies can start the same 5  every game they would be 10 games over 500 now 

18 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

You've got jokes.

In all seriousness, over the past 1.5 years or so, he has been a top trade target, I have see n comments saying his style doesn't fit the NBA or what we're trying to do, seen several people saying we can trade JV once JJJ gets back and have JJJ play C. I can't quantify these and I'm not going to go back and count to see if it's like 3 or 4 people kicking up the most dust or if it's a goo % of the board.

If anything, just show love to the big guy. That's all I'm saying.

1 hour ago, Everett said:

The biggest issue with the "he doesn't fit today's game" argument is looking at how many crappy non-traditional bigs out there. Most of the so-called modern bigs still struggle in some aspects of D, including struggling to switch or guard in space even if they're quicker than JV is, because the quickness difference between a perimeter player and even a modern big is usually a big gap. 

JV is an elite complimentary scorer (you don't need to run 30 plays for him) and an elite rebounder. He provides decent inside D in the paint and against post players, but struggles if he has to guard in space. Again, that last part is the same for most bigs. Heck, Chicago had 3 of them last night who can all shoot and can't guard inside or outside (Vucevic, Theis and Markkanen). JV can hit a 3 here or there to keep the D honest. He's not an elite passer but he isn't a terrible passer, while also being one of the top screeners in the game...a hugely underrated skill in the league since in the halfcourt it can be really hard for a small unit to create without a screener. It puts a lot of pressure on the better playmakers to manufacture shots with bad screens or in isolation, whereas with a legit screener you can still easily free guys up for shots/drives.

Also, he might have one of the best value contracts (excluding guys on rookie deals) in the league. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

He ain't perfect but I can respect him because he has proven that he will go at any big (with success) and he won't allow you to put a little munchin on him without abusing him.  He is really efficient inside of that paint and has mastered the lost art of throwing his weight around. 

Exactly. I think his effort along with DB's effort is really fueling this team and has this team overachieving right now. It's a certain feistiness showing that we won't back down to teams. We have talent with Ja and will have more when JJJ gets back but I still think we need one more start piece to go with the grit and grind of JV and DB.

52 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

Me too ❤️

JV is the man. I wanna see him in public so I can buy him a beer. He has the blue collar aesthetic that this city loves.  

The way you talk about Him I would Think you know J.V on a personal Level . the Best Move by far by the Memphis Grizzlies Front office 

2 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

You've got jokes.

In all seriousness, over the past 1.5 years or so, he has been a top trade target, I have see n comments saying his style doesn't fit the NBA or what we're trying to do, seen several people saying we can trade JV once JJJ gets back and have JJJ play C. I can't quantify these and I'm not going to go back and count to see if it's like 3 or 4 people kicking up the most dust or if it's a goo % of the board.

If anything, just show love to the big guy. That's all I'm saying.

I have to admit that I said we could trade JV in some situations, but I never said anything to diminish his value to this team. He is one of best bigman I saw in a Grizzlies uniform. We are a piece away to being really special, because Tyus is the best backup pg we ever had and Melton/SlowMo are turning into the best glue guys we ever had. Also I see a lot potential in Bane, Clarke and Tillman. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

This may be sacrilegious but i think i like JV more than i ever liked Marc or Pau.   He consistently plays like a grown man and you never have to coax him to play hard and aggressive.   He is more in the mold of Zbo and Tony in that they will always give 110% and do their job.   I respect that.   Big Ups to the Big Lithuanian.   

cosign this

15 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

I have to admit that I said we could trade JV in some situations, but I never said anything to diminish his value to this team. He is one of best bigman I saw in a Grizzlies uniform. We are a piece away to being really special, because Tyus is the best backup pg we ever had and Melton/SlowMo are turning into the best glue guys we ever had. Also I see a lot potential in Bane, Clarke and Tillman. 

If we had a star at SG, we would be contenders. Having a competent big man and a competent backup PG goes a long way when you have 2 stars (if JJJ ever gets back on the floor) and a determined feisty supporting cast.

I agree with GrizzTiger , I like his game better than Marc's. No disrespect for Gasol, he was awesome.

Because his game is boring and he sucks on defense 

I love JV but he isn't the player Marc was overall. Marc won the Defensive Player of the Year award not for making sensational sweeping blocks but by coordinating and leading the defense, calling the plays and making the right covers. He was a more cerebral player while JV is more emotional. This team needs JV but Marc was capable of playing well on both ends of the court with veteran teams and he knew how to get the most out of the team. 

26 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I love JV but he isn't the player Marc was overall. Marc won the Defensive Player of the Year award not for making sensational sweeping blocks but by coordinating and leading the defense, calling the plays and making the right covers. He was a more cerebral player while JV is more emotional. This team needs JV but Marc was capable of playing well on both ends of the court with veteran teams and he knew how to get the most out of the team. 

I don't think this is really a fair comparison, though. Gasol wasn't known as a good defender coming into the league, and he was on a team with two of the top backcourt defenders in the game always defending the point of attack. 

I don't want to get too much into it, but how would that Memphis team look defensively with today's JV instead of Gasol? Can't imagine it would be that much of a slide. Despite the fact that Gasol is a smart defender and was one of the better defensive Cs in that time, I think he gets too much credit for anchoring what would have likely been a strong defensive regardless. In general, Cs get too much credit for good team D and too much blame when it's bad. 

I think they actually needed Marc's offense more than what JV would give them, because Conley is less versatile as a playmaker than Ja, and the perimeter talent on those teams was garbage offensively.

Sorry, just to add to my post above, it was mostly to point out situation being critical for a player. JV was actually considered a decent defensive prospect. He was fairly quick and athletic for his size and always had the good motor. He looked that way in his rookie year...then Casey asked him to gain a bunch of weight and only play in the paint. His development was pointed in exactly the wrong direction, not just for where the league was heading, but for the tools he already had.

He always had a banger mentality and a willingness to play physical down low, but he had the potential to be a better all-around player on both ends (I'm not saying elite all-around, just better). So if he had a better situation, with better perimeter defenders and coaching that didn't pigeon-hole him as much, his development as a player may have looked quite different. Like, if Marc had been on Toronto as a rookie and Casey told him "stop passing or shooting outside the paint" and "you have to cover DeRozan's bad D every time he misses a coverage (which is almost every time his man is involved in a play) or else get benched", how would Gasol's career have gone?

It is true that if Marc had to play defense in today's Era, he wouldn't work as well. And if JV played defense in Marc's Era, he wouldn't look at bad. 

Marc was great! We all loved Marc.

We also, at least most fans, would scratch their heads as to why he wasn’t more aggressive on offense or why he wouldn’t take on smaller players guarding him. JV offensively is the monster we were hoping Marc would have been - a consistent double double monster.