I❤️JV

Free De'Anthony Melton!!!

Yup! Biggest knock on him was his shooting...and now he's basically an elite shooter over a large enough sample size. Ballhandling and guarding larger guys will continue to be a point of emphasis, but when Melt is in there, good things seem to happen.

I think we need to consolidate talent at some point - as the podcast flagged, we have a LOT OF GUY. Once JJJ comes in, we won't be able to get folks enough minutes.

Heal Melton not Free Melton

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Heal Melton not Free Melton

When do we need to start clapping M3lton for being made of glass? Wallace still in charge or what..?

9 hours ago, Subliminal said:

When do we need to start clapping M3lton for being made of glass? Wallace still in charge or what..?

Wow. Talk about taking something in the opposite direction.

for your information, Melton is in fact injured right now (I never said or implied he was made of glass) and he doesn’t need to be freed because he’s an important part of the rotation. Heal him and he’ll start playing again. He’s isn’t benched, he’s injured.

Do you understand my comment better now?

10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Wow. Talk about taking something in the opposite direction.

for your information, Melton is in fact injured right now (I never said or implied he was made of glass) and he doesn’t need to be freed because he’s an important part of the rotation. Heal him and he’ll start playing again. He’s isn’t benched, he’s injured.

Do you understand my comment better now?

Wasn’t aiming that at you as much as the glass clapper crowd

The point raised in the posted podcast wasn't about his current injury, it's that his production to date this season merits a significantly larger role than the ~20 mpg one he's been given when healthy.  I would agree with that.  

3 minutes ago, grizzknob said:

The point raised in the posted podcast wasn't about his current injury, it's that his production to date this season merits a significantly larger role than the ~20 mpg one he's been given when healthy.  I would agree with that.  

It’s hard to say if Melton is made of glass or he consists of a more ceramic-like material 

https://thef5.substack.com/p/melt-man

Recently, I reached out to the folks at basketball-reference.com to ask if they’d be willing to share the web traffic numbers for each player on their site since the start of the season. My goal was to try and identify the players whose accomplishments have been most overlooked by the general public this season. Basketball-Reference is one of the most popular destinations on the internet for all things NBA, so it stands to reason that player page views might be a good proxy for the amount of public attention every player receives.

Sean Forman, the site’s president, obliged my odd request.

Armed with the data on each player’s page views since the start of the season, I looked at the relationship between how impactful1 a player is and the traffic on their Basketball-Reference page. In general, better players tend to receive more traffic on their page. That’s the system working like it should.

But there was one player who proved to be a huge exception to the rule no matter how I sliced the data.

De’Anthony Melton might just be the best player you’ve never heard of. He’s an outlier in every which way. His notoriety, or lackthereof, is completely out of sync with how good he actually is.

16 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

https://thef5.substack.com/p/melt-man

Recently, I reached out to the folks at basketball-reference.com to ask if they’d be willing to share the web traffic numbers for each player on their site since the start of the season. My goal was to try and identify the players whose accomplishments have been most overlooked by the general public this season. Basketball-Reference is one of the most popular destinations on the internet for all things NBA, so it stands to reason that player page views might be a good proxy for the amount of public attention every player receives.

Sean Forman, the site’s president, obliged my odd request.

Armed with the data on each player’s page views since the start of the season, I looked at the relationship between how impactful1 a player is and the traffic on their Basketball-Reference page. In general, better players tend to receive more traffic on their page. That’s the system working like it should.

But there was one player who proved to be a huge exception to the rule no matter how I sliced the data.

De’Anthony Melton might just be the best player you’ve never heard of. He’s an outlier in every which way. His notoriety, or lackthereof, is completely out of sync with how good he actually is.

All this is true 

On 4/23/2021 at 7:09 PM, The J Crew said:

Come on, Taylor. 

Does Taylor dislike him for some reason or doesnt think hes a good fit?

16 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

Does Taylor dislike him for some reason or doesnt think hes a good fit?

There's a bit of an apparent disconnect between the FO giving Melton a significant contract and Taylor not playing him over Allen considering he's statistically better in every category, but I very much doubt Taylor is doing anything that's not in line with the FO's goals.

While I think jv play this year has been approaching mvp for our team, Melton is my biggest surprise...his play has been elite, consistent and fills a huge hole or gap that we have.  His minutes and timing of when he plays needs to be equivalent of a starter, over Dillon, Grayson etc...just my 2 cents

Maybe he’s best role in the rotation is an energy player off the bench and not a 25 + minute starter?

Hes doing fine in his current role 

10 minutes ago, Allen said:

Maybe he’s best role in the rotation is an energy player off the bench and not a 25 + minute starter?

Hes doing fine in his current role 

However, he has also done well whenever he gets more minutes.   This is purely more about Taylor's fascination with Grayson than it is anything Melton is doing.    It is basically Lionel /Tony Allen all over again.     Lionel did not like playing Tony because he did not fit his idea of what a SG should be.   But Tony was just such a huge net positive every time he played he forced his way into the rotation.    Yet everytime Lionel had a more traditional option available he would quickly play the guy over Tony.   But Tony would still outplay whoever it was and force his hand.   

Melton is more of a wildcard when he plays versus Grayson who literally always follows coaches instructions.     Grayson ONLY shoots 3s or at the rim which is prototype of what Taylor wants out of a wing.   However, Melton is clearly the better shot creator, defender, passer, and overall more talented.    He is just not as orthodox of a fit as Grayson due to his size and spontaneity on offense and defense.    

Melton will be stuck as backup as long as Taylor coach and Grayson is here.  

32 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

However, he has also done well whenever he gets more minutes.   This is purely more about Taylor's fascination with Grayson than it is anything Melton is doing.    It is basically Lionel /Tony Allen all over again.     Lionel did not like playing Tony because he did not fit his idea of what a SG should be.   But Tony was just such a huge net positive every time he played he forced his way into the rotation.    Yet everytime Lionel had a more traditional option available he would quickly play the guy over Tony.   But Tony would still outplay whoever it was and force his hand.   

Melton is more of a wildcard when he plays versus Grayson who literally always follows coaches instructions.     Grayson ONLY shoots 3s or at the rim which is prototype of what Taylor wants out of a wing.   However, Melton is clearly the better shot creator, defender, passer, and overall more talented.    He is just not as orthodox of a fit as Grayson due to his size and spontaneity on offense and defense.    

Melton will be stuck as backup as long as Taylor coach and Grayson is here.  

And I always thought Tony Allen would be best as an energy guy off the bench. I think that maybe the case for Melton too. His style of play is more valuable off the bench 

13 minutes ago, Allen said:

And I always thought Tony Allen would be best as an energy guy off the bench. I think that maybe the case for Melton too. His style of play is more valuable off the bench 

Why? You’ve repeated this energy canard several times. DeAnthony should 100% be the starter. Taylor is just being stubborn, like his refusal to use challenges last season. 

And Tony was obviously more valuable as a starter. Tony himself said that way he could prepare better to take on the best scorer. As a reserve, he couldn’t study film because we didn’t know the opponent’s substitution pattern. 

I wonder if it's something about the way Melton plays that coach doesn't like, but saying anything openly would do no one any good. 

12 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Why? You’ve repeated this energy canard several times. DeAnthony should 100% be the starter. Taylor is just being stubborn, like his refusal to use challenges last season. 

And Tony was obviously more valuable as a starter. Tony himself said that way he could prepare better to take on the best scorer. As a reserve, he couldn’t study film because we didn’t know the opponent’s substitution pattern. 

Chemistry. Y’all get caught up in this starter stuff without any regard for how pieces fit together. Maybe Allen is a better fit with Ja than Melton?  Maybe Meltons style of play is a better fit off the bench and Allen’s is better as a starter? 

plus the only thing that really matters is who finishes games 

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

Chemistry. Y’all get caught up in this starter stuff without any regard for how pieces fit together. Maybe Meltons style of play is a better fit off the bench and Allen’s is better as a starter? 

plus the only thing that really matters is who finishes games 

Yeah, that two whole points by Grayson on Friday, when the team scored 130, sure showed great chemistry. What are you even talking about? You can be in the Grayson hive without inventing reasons like chemistry. 

24 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Yeah, that two whole points by Grayson on Friday, when the team scored 130, sure showed great chemistry. What are you even talking about? You can be in the Grayson hive without inventing reasons like chemistry. 

No what are you even talking about? Your making my point. Chemistry has nothing to do with points individually scored. Chemistry and player fit matters. This isn’t a video game. I’m thinking Allen just fits better with Ja