The J Crew

Updated Grizzly player rankings

Sorry if there is another thread for these. I know this ranking will drive some of you crazy, but I think it's interesting. This is the ranking that merges 10 different player rankings. 

No surprise Kyle and Jonas rank high. DeAnthony always measures well with these kind of rankings. BC pretty good too, even with his early season shooting woes. Ja is surprisingly low. Dillon does a lot better on this ranking than TPA. 

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

Sorry if there is another thread for these. I know this ranking will drive some of you crazy, but I think it's interesting. This is the ranking that merges 10 different player rankings. 

No surprise Kyle and Jonas rank high. DeAnthony always measures well with these kind of rankings. BC pretty good too, even with his early season shooting woes. Ja is surprisingly low. Dillon does a lot better on this ranking than TPA. 

interesting.   Not too surprised by the rankings.  Easily calculable stats like 3pt shooting Assists, and rebounding is always rewarded in most analtytics.  Kyle and DeMelt swiss army skills and now 3pt shooting should put them ahead of the class.   Ja will either need to gain a consistent 3pt shot or learn how to give effort on defense to move up. 

Looks pretty good.  One interesting thing to note is that I don't think the top 5 Grizzlies in these rankings have played any minutes all on the floor together this season.  I'd like to see them play together some.

That seems like a good list, and I assume that Dillon has been rising as of late given his recent play as well. Answer: Did some digging and he's only up 5 spots from March 27th, but he's up from 180 on March 12th though, so the progress is real. 

Either way, this kind of matches the eye test. Shows that Grayson is pretty vastly underrated on here, and Bane is vastly overhyped on here. Ja needs to up his game, I'm sure his 3 point % is dragging him down, and also a slight drop in FT% as well. His effective FG% and True shooting are both down, not to mention a regression in defensive efficiency as well. 

Let's keep in mind that there are 150 starters in this league, so we do have 6 players that qualify as "starter" material, obviously it's a bit more nuanced than that, but you get the idea. 

This also illustrates my point on Tyus as well. Tyus is certainly an upper tier bench player and arguably close to a lower tier starter in the league. Tillman is solid for a bench player, but Tyus's impact is greater in my mind still. Given where Kyle, JV, and Brandon rank, Tillman would seem to be the odd man out of a 4 man frontcourt rotation once Jaren returns. 

4 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Dillon with a bullet up the Billboard Charts!

Wasn't he 367th in Feb?

29 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Dillon with a bullet up the Billboard Charts!

Wasn't he 367th in Feb?

I think that was TPA. TPA does not like Dillon. 

4 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Orlando gifted a top 210 player in James Ennis

Shows how different we are in our timelines. We have 6 in the top 150, they have zero.  Also that's superstar James Ennis to you

7 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Not sure where to put this so I'll just throw it in here:

Interesting. The Grizzlies are really picking up their play of late. I wonder if they will be able to maintain it if Winslow and JJJ return?  

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Interesting. The Grizzlies are really picking up their play of late. I wonder if they will be able to maintain it if Winslow and JJJ return?  

I may be wrong but for some reason I thought they were higher in defensive eff in a previous one that I posted. Either way, they are net positive in both and playing really well.

12 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I may be wrong but for some reason I thought they were higher in defensive eff in a previous one that I posted. Either way, they are net positive in both and playing really well.

Maybe a discrepancy between last 15 games and full season stats?

24 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

IT could have something to do with the rather outsized leads the Grizzlies have taken into the 4th quarters and playing their deep bench which has allowed teams to come back some. 

16 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I think he does them in 15 game increments but I could be wrong. I just thought we were higher. It could be the competition and/or what Chip brought up below.

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

IT could have something to do with the rather outsized leads the Grizzlies have taken into the 4th quarters and playing their deep bench which has allowed teams to come back some. 

That's a good point.

19 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I think it's in 15 game increments but I could be wrong. Could be what Chip mentioned below.

6 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

2 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Grizz have fluctuated on D. We were as high as 2nd on this rating early, maybe in December. Then we dropped quite a bit, forgot how low we got. Today, we are 7th in team Defensive Rating.

https://www.lineups.com/nba/team-rankings/defense

Good points

5 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Not sure where to put this so I'll just throw it in here:

I'm somewhat surprised the Lakers have stayed a #2 defense without AD and LBJ.

Also, my first thought with the Grizzlies was I wondered how much of that had to do with opponents, and a good number of their last 15 opponents are on the positive side of the sloped line (9 of 15 games). Jazz (3 games), Suns, Hawks, Miami (2), Sixers, and Celtics

Those that aren't doing well: OKC (2), Warriors (2), Houston, T'Wolves

6 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Ok, this graph is busy, you might have to enlarge. It graphs the Off and Def efficiency throughout the season.

Good find, thanks for this. Looks like we've settled at a good level of defensive efficiency but not as good as earlier in the season, and our offensive efficiency is picking up.

As a side note, I weep for the Wolves.