bhoyal

Still wanna just tank? Trade DB for a washing machine?

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

People need scapegoats and Dillon has been the convenient scapegoat for the fans since he has been here because we haven't won much since his arrival because we have been rebuilding. I have no problem with Dillon. He TRIES and we can't always say that about all of our players the past few years. He isn't a afraid to take the big shot and once again, you can't say that about all of our players.He doesn't shoot us out of games. There are 5 players on the court at any given time and 48 minutes in a game. He's not the only one taking shots. That's ridiculous.

Dillon was a second round pick, #45 and he has vastly outperformed his draft position. He's not perfect and he's not a star but to get a guy in the mid-second round putting up 16 ppg and routinely defends the other team's best scorer is a nice addition. I just take the good with the bad.

Totally agree with this one. Some people here are much more hard with Dilon that they are with Ja ( who is shooting 25% at 3....) , If we compare the potential of both, there is not much logic behind this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Totally agree with this one. Some people here are much more hard with Dilon that they are with Ja ( who is shooting 25% at 3....) , If we compare the potential of both, there is not much logic behind this.

Good point.  As someone that has been screaming for Memphis to focus on player development for over a decade on here.  I am happy to see DB go from a 2nd rd pick to a high level role player.    The fact that he takes on being the primary defender AND primary wing scorer is criminally underappreciated by the fanbase.    Plus he relishes being The Villain and has an over the top personality.   Every team needs some crazy and a guy with cahones.   DB is that guy for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s good that people are starting to realize Brooks is the best wing to don a Grizzlies jersey. Amazing talent and value

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Good point.  As someone that has been screaming for Memphis to focus on player development for over a decade on here.  I am happy to see DB go from a 2nd rd pick to a high level role player.    The fact that he takes on being the primary defender AND primary wing scorer is criminally underappreciated by the fanbase.    Plus he relishes being The Villain and has an over the top personality.   Every team needs some crazy and a guy with cahones.   DB is that guy for us. 

I still have mixed feelings on DB, but maybe its a maturity thing.  I would like him to show better and natural ball distribution, rather than what appears to be forced passes...he appears more often than not be totally PRE - committed to a shot or a drive, and does not change it if circumstances like split second adjustments by defender are made...BUT he is a Canadian kid and ya gotta love his attitude and edge, agree that his value as a 2nd rounder is huge upside, he is playing better, we just want to see more consistency and in those off games that he realizes maybe he is more effective in doing other things well on the court...versus putting up every shot to get himself out of a shooting slump...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Subliminal said:

It’s good that people are starting to realize Brooks is the best wing to don a Grizzlies jersey. Amazing talent and value

👀 

Mane put some respect on Rudy Gay’s name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Subliminal said:

It’s good that people are starting to realize Brooks is the best wing to don a Grizzlies jersey. Amazing talent and value

Literally no one has said that but as a 45th pick in his draft class, he is doing well for us. 

The best wing to don a Grizz jersey is Dahntay Jones, hands down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dillon is playing significantly better the last 9 games. He's even pulled his overall FG% above 40%. 

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Dillon, he has not been consistent and his approach can be far too reckless on the court (bad shots, careless fouls, etc). You gotta love his energy and competitiveness, and he has enough tools to be a successful starting two-way SG in this league, but he really has to become consistent and learn to play within himself. Otherwise he will continue to be the obvious choice for where the Grizzlies can upgrade the starting lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Everett said:

Dillon is playing significantly better the last 9 games. He's even pulled his overall FG% above 40%. 

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Dillon, he has not been consistent and his approach can be far too reckless on the court (bad shots, careless fouls, etc). You gotta love his energy and competitiveness, and he has enough tools to be a successful starting two-way SG in this league, but he really has to become consistent and learn to play within himself. Otherwise he will continue to be the obvious choice for where the Grizzlies can upgrade the starting lineup.

We really don't have any other options though. If you look at our SFs,  Winslow has not proven anything and Kyle is good only in certain situations,  If you are looking at our SGs,  Allen is highly inconsistent, Bane is still learning as a rookie and Melton is undersized. I mean, there really aren't any other options, dude will be starting. I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him tbh. We could use other pieces to upgrade. Melton is the only one who is as aggressive on the defensive end as Dillon and Dillon takes those assignments with pride. Winslow is aggressively defensively but can't stay on the floor and gives you nothing on the offensive end and Kyle is just too slow. 

I would rather get an upgrade and keep Dillon. He would be a perfect 6th man. Both he and Ja are inefficient because they are carrying the offensive load whereas guys like Allen and Melton and Bane are benefitting because they get better shots as the defenses focus on Ja and DB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Subliminal said:

It’s good that people are starting to realize Brooks is the best wing to don a Grizzlies jersey. Amazing talent and value

Somewhere, James Ennis III is rolling on his bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, King Dork said:

👀

Mane put some respect on Rudy Gay’s name. 

I made a thread asking if Dillon was better than Rudy and the vast majority of posters said he was. So don’t blame me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the development of DB game.  Improved shooting percentage is a transient thing.  All NBA players go through hot and cold streaks.  That being said, DB is taking fewer of his patented bull-headed shots.  Developing a passing game -- especially a connection with JV!  His defense and general energy on the floor have always been exemplary.  Come in 'Good DB', out with the old 'Bad DB'!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

We really don't have any other options though. If you look at our SFs,  Winslow has not proven anything and Kyle is good only in certain situations,  If you are looking at our SGs,  Allen is highly inconsistent, Bane is still learning as a rookie and Melton is undersized. I mean, there really aren't any other options, dude will be starting. I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him tbh. We could use other pieces to upgrade. Melton is the only one who is as aggressive on the defensive end as Dillon and Dillon takes those assignments with pride. Winslow is aggressively defensively but can't stay on the floor and gives you nothing on the offensive end and Kyle is just too slow. 

I would rather get an upgrade and keep Dillon. He would be a perfect 6th man. Both he and Ja are inefficient because they are carrying the offensive load whereas guys like Allen and Melton and Bane are benefitting because they get better shots as the defenses focus on Ja and DB 

SF is in flux and you can't make a judgment until team tries to do something. Kyle is obviously not the answer and Winslow is probably the guy they want to give a long look at next year in a healthy starting lineup with Jaren back. Dillon is too small to shift over there full time as well, and his best fit is clearly at SG, at least if he's going to start.

We have gotten to see a lot of Dillon. It's not a question of tools with him, but as I said, consistency and reeling in his own bad habits. I don't really see him as a 6th man as he's generally not that good a pure scorer, which is usually what a 6th man is. I like the Grizzlies current bench with no real 6th man, where Clarke, Melton and others can all step up and you don't overly rely on one guy to carry your bench. So with Dillon, it will also be easier to judge with Jaren back and see how he looks back in the 3rd/4th option role. A big part of last year's surprising season was Dillon starting to simplify his game as Jaren started shooting more, so Dillon was forcing things less and the Grizzlies had 4 guys who could get you 15-20+ points in the starting lineup every night without anyone having to monopolize the offense. If he plays well, he also likely becomes the team's best trade asset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Everett said:

SF is in flux and you can't make a judgment until team tries to do something. Kyle is obviously not the answer and Winslow is probably the guy they want to give a long look at next year in a healthy starting lineup with Jaren back. Dillon is too small to shift over there full time as well, and his best fit is clearly at SG, at least if he's going to start.

We have gotten to see a lot of Dillon. It's not a question of tools with him, but as I said, consistency and reeling in his own bad habits. I don't really see him as a 6th man as he's generally not that good a pure scorer, which is usually what a 6th man is. I like the Grizzlies current bench with no real 6th man, where Clarke, Melton and others can all step up and you don't overly rely on one guy to carry your bench. So with Dillon, it will also be easier to judge with Jaren back and see how he looks back in the 3rd/4th option role. A big part of last year's surprising season was Dillon starting to simplify his game as Jaren started shooting more, so Dillon was forcing things less and the Grizzlies had 4 guys who could get you 15-20+ points in the starting lineup every night without anyone having to monopolize the offense. If he plays well, he also likely becomes the team's best trade asset. 

dillon has played and looked dramatically better at SF when paired w/ allen or bane.  he's 6'7, 220 lbs, more than big enough to play SF where he is clearly more effective.  same size as winslow albeit with shorter arms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, grizz09 said:

dillon has played and looked dramatically better at SF when paired w/ allen or bane.  he's 6'7, 220 lbs, more than big enough to play SF where he is clearly more effective.  same size as winslow albeit with shorter arms.

He's looked better because the team has looked better playing small instead of playing Clarke or Tillman at PF in the starting lineup, which also meant the slow Anderson guarding quicker SFs. 

At SF, Dillon's on the smaller side and would frequently be matched against players at least as tall as him and often stronger. He's also a bad rebounder for a SF. He's quick enough to guard SGs, and has a massive size/strength advantage on them. Ideally, you find someone to play SF (right now, Winslow is the guy they want to get a look at and he is stronger than Brooks, even if he's not taller) so you can shift Brooks back to SG where he's at an advantage. Also, we still need to see Brooks play well for more than a couple of weeks at a time. Again, going to keep beating the consistency drum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DB has shown he has matured enough to play consistently and more effectively.  Just want to see how he reacts when he has a slow day.  He and Ja would be optimized on the team as lane drivers, to get fouls on the opponents.  

We invested a lot of time on DB, and, have seen his up and downs.  Time to get the payoff and keep him, since he is more consistent and productive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Everett said:

SF is in flux and you can't make a judgment until team tries to do something. Kyle is obviously not the answer and Winslow is probably the guy they want to give a long look at next year in a healthy starting lineup with Jaren back. Dillon is too small to shift over there full time as well, and his best fit is clearly at SG, at least if he's going to start.

 

I'm sorry but I'm confused here. Dillon has mainly been playing SF as we rotate SGs (Allen, Melton, Bane). Dillon is listed at 6'7" and Winslow is listed at 6'6". How is Dillon too small to play SF but WInslow is the guy they want to "give a long look at" at SF when he is shorter? Wouldn't he be too small as well?  Maybe he has more length but I don't think that matters anyway.  Tony Allen was 6'4" and was guarding PGs, SGs,  and SFs and would guard KD and LeBron. It's all about effort and being a pest, those are Dillon's strongpoints. I think WInslow is good at it as well but he's always injured which brings me to my next question.......

Quote

We have gotten to see a lot of Dillon. It's not a question of tools with him, but as I said, consistency and reeling in his own bad habits. I don't really see him as a 6th man as he's generally not that good a pure scorer, which is usually what a 6th man is. I like the Grizzlies current bench with no real 6th man, where Clarke, Melton and others can all step up and you don't overly rely on one guy to carry your bench. So with Dillon, it will also be easier to judge with Jaren back and see how he looks back in the 3rd/4th option role. A big part of last year's surprising season was Dillon starting to simplify his game as Jaren started shooting more, so Dillon was forcing things less and the Grizzlies had 4 guys who could get you 15-20+ points in the starting lineup every night without anyone having to monopolize the offense. If he plays well, he also likely becomes the team's best trade asset. 

This is an interesting statement because it kind of implies that we need to see more of Justise Winslow before we make a decision, but we have seen all we need to see of Dillon. I think this says it all right? We have more familiarity with Dillon yet Justise is a mystery? But here's the truth, Justise has been in the league longer than Dillon. Justise was a lottery pick in 2015 and Dillon was the 45th pick in 2017. They are both 25 years old and only a couple of months difference in age so basically the same age. Justise WInslow is not that efficient either. His career FG% is 41.2% to DB's 41.7%. His career 3 pt % is 32.3% to DB's 35.3%. His PER this season is 5, Dillon's is 13, the average is 15. Justise's career PER is like 10 or something. By all measures Dillon has been the better overall player than Winslow and more durable yet we still want to just hand the starting SF position over to WInslow, why? Because he's a shiny new toy that we don't know much about?

As I mentioned, there really aren't much better options than Dillon, Winslow ain't it. As long as DB's coaches and teammates are fine, I'm fine and I'm not going to nitpick every little thing he does. I would nitpick Winslow but he's never on the floor. The MIA fans soured on Winslow. DB has outperformed his draft position and if you look at where he's paid, most people would keep Dillon over people in his salary range. DB is the best option we have right now and I don't think it will be as easy to replace him as people think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep saying, we need to wait until JJJ is back to make a proper call on DB. His efficiency shoots up when Jaren is available and taking shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Subliminal said:

It’s good that people are starting to realize Brooks is the best wing to don a Grizzlies jersey. Amazing talent and value

Good to see someone around here in his corner instead of taking potshots at him.

 

(BTW, how much was he paying for you for your PR work?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I want to draft Vrenz Bleijenbergh.

Is your keyboard broken? 

This looks like another player whose nickname will be "Scrabble"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brooks trade? Well, he just raised his value. 

But again we come back to who would be a trade in which both teams would benefit? 

Second choice, which teams have an idiot GM who would overpay for what DB brings?

I remain in the group called "keep him unless someone will overpay for him." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Everett said:

He's looked better because the team has looked better playing small instead of playing Clarke or Tillman at PF in the starting lineup, which also meant the slow Anderson guarding quicker SFs. 

At SF, Dillon's on the smaller side and would frequently be matched against players at least as tall as him and often stronger. He's also a bad rebounder for a SF. He's quick enough to guard SGs, and has a massive size/strength advantage on them. Ideally, you find someone to play SF (right now, Winslow is the guy they want to get a look at and he is stronger than Brooks, even if he's not taller) so you can shift Brooks back to SG where he's at an advantage. Also, we still need to see Brooks play well for more than a couple of weeks at a time. Again, going to keep beating the consistency drum. 

he is not on the smaller side for a SF, he'd be on the bigger side for a SG.  he's not been a good rebounder regardless of position.  grayson and melton have a better rebounding rate despite being 3-4 inches shorter.  he just doesn't try to rebound and is leaking out trying to get fastbreak/easy buckets.  he's more than big enough to play SF in the modern nba and is much better suited there.  how is justise stronger?  i'd say they are equally as strong and dillon may actually be more physical although not as smart in terms of over-aggression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Subliminal said:

I made a thread asking if Dillon was better than Rudy and the vast majority of posters said he was. So don’t blame me

They lied

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now