Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Dallas Mavericks @ Memphis Grizzlies - 4/14/21

56 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

i don't have a problem with that, lotta guys will smile in frustration trying to make themselves feel better.  he's a very competitive person, trust that he was ****** at himself despite hiding it through the smiling

Yes you probably right about this. But still not sure Lebron would have smile in such situation.  But i agree comparing Grayson and Lebron does not make any sense.

I was a little disappointed last night but I’m still optimistic... teams are struggling with us and we don’t have our full set of players... when we get Melton and Jaren out there it is more shooting and defense that will make everyone go back to their roles... I think we are ok

8 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

It looked like JV was in two minds helping off the inbounder to the double-team and got there a fraction late, but it was still a flukey freak-shot.

But your right, make those 2 free throws and its game over.

BigHunk, having your biggest big on the inbound is a solid decision, it was a fluky shot made by a very talented player.  It happens.  The game was in our hands, we missed both shots.  Should Grayson get chance to redeem himself, for sure.  For me, Grayson is a second unit guy.  I'd play Melton in first unit when he is healthy.

30 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Yes you probably right about this. But still not sure Lebron would have smile in such situation.  But i agree comparing Grayson and Lebron does not make any sense.

Don't read too much about that. There are also players who put on an angry mug and do all kind of antics but it's all show.

Maybe it's because I didn't see this one live and I'm not so emotionally invested, but I'd ask everyone to look at these close losses in the right context. We are the second youngest team in the league and we're right in the middle of the league in terms of winning close games. We're far ahead of where we should be given the current composition of our roster. Of course we're going to choke, or make boneheaded plays, or not perform well in set pieces. The amazing thing is we're not doing it more often.

The same goes about losing last years' play in, or potentially losing this season (or being curb stomped by Utah in the first round). It's part of the learning process and we should be grateful that our core pieces are getting the experience in their first 3-4 years as pros rather than at the time they're about to become UFAs.

8 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

It looked like JV was in two minds helping off the inbounder to the double-team and got there a fraction late, but it was still a flukey freak-shot.

But your right, make those 2 free throws and its game over.

I mean, if the end result of the defensive setup is that the other team has to make a one legged one hand out of balance three point shot in order to win you can't really blame the defense.

1 minute ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I think this is accurate (NSFW for language, so volume down if young ears/co-workers around)

I can relate

3 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Maybe it's because I didn't see this one live and I'm not so emotionally invested, but I'd ask everyone to look at these close losses in the right context. We are the second youngest team in the league and we're right in the middle of the league in terms of winning close games. We're far ahead of where we should be given the current composition of our roster. Of course we're going to choke, or make boneheaded plays, or not perform well in set pieces. The amazing thing is we're not doing it more often.

The same goes about losing last years' play in, or potentially losing this season (or being curb stomped by Utah in the first round). It's part of the learning process and we should be grateful that our core pieces are getting the experience in their first 3-4 years as pros rather than at the time they're about to become UFAs.

I hope youth and getting guys experience is the reason Jenkins doesn't do situational substitutions at this point because he doesn't.

It's not just this game but he rarely subs in an end of game situation.  Even if Winslow and Melton had been healthy last night, they would not have been subbed into the game for the last 1.8 seconds if they weren't already on the floor.

8 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I hope we can learn from this game and the Knicks game that the margin of error in the NBA is very slim. A couple of missed free throws is all it takes between winning and losing a game. We've had several of these nail biters this season, this game, Knicks game, Denver, and Milwaukee. We went 0-4 in those games, but a couple more free throws or a couple balls that bounce our way and we are 4-0. That's what we got to work on. 

Just before GA's free throws the TV coverage showed how many games Dallas has lost this season by less than 5 points. I guess it was their turn for a break.

13 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I hope youth and getting guys experience is the reason Jenkins doesn't do situational substitutions at this point because he doesn't.

It's not just this game but he rarely subs in an end of game situation.  Even if Winslow and Melton had been healthy last night, they would not have been subbed into the game for the last 1.8 seconds if they weren't already on the floor.

I think the coach's lack of experience is also showing. I also suspect that if/when we are contenders we will have some other coach. This is not an indictment on Jenkins, who I think can become a very good coach, it's just the reality that FOs don't usually have the same patience with coaches as they do with core players. I hope Jenkins bucks the trend.

10 minutes ago, TimBC said:

Just before GA's free throws the TV coverage showed how many games Dallas has lost this season by less than 5 points. I guess it was their turn for a break.

They are exactly at the same level as us in close games winning %.

I think everyone watching knew the ball was going to Doncic with Porzingas as the safety option.  Dillon on the switch should have overplayed him on the left and forced him to go right since Doncic momentum was ALL left...split second reaction I get it, easier said than done...nothing but net...good shot.

I know Skip is a hater, but he has a fair point. This is on Ja quite as much as it is on Allen for missing the ft. Ja went 0-3 with 1 ast on the clutch, and I recall that Luka gave him business on the post and block his shoot without jumping. 

He has to work on his jumpers, Im not saying he has to become Stephen Curry but he must be able to hit of the dribble and of the catch.

2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

+1. A perfect example of this is the trajectory of the Warriors and Portland before they matured and were able to succeed in big situations. Both teams made mistakes in big moments during the playoffs. Yes, the Warriors had a trash coach in Mark Jackson and they got significantly better after he left, but they took their lumps by making constant mistakes in big moments and generally just not being ready for prime time. They learned over the course of several seasons and were able to win in games like we had last night. It's frustrating losing the way we did on a possession that should have been defended differently/better, but Doncic is a star and star players make amazing plays. Young teams make young team plays until they learn from them. Nothing to be concerned about at all IMO. If anything, I have confidence in this group's ability to  get better from something like this.

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

this is a big problem, I agree. WHy is JV out there with 1.8 seconds left? Need a quicker big like clarke or tillman, especially since rebounding isn't going to be an issue

13 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

That hurts

Did you have a real time feed?  Was this about the Grayson Allen missed free throws? Non-tape delay and you got to see the Luka dagger in real time?  Either way I came down with an immense feeling of dread after reading your cryptic post.

49 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

+1. A perfect example of this is the trajectory of the Warriors and Portland before they matured and were able to succeed in big situations. Both teams made mistakes in big moments during the playoffs. Yes, the Warriors had a trash coach in Mark Jackson and they got significantly better after he left, but they took their lumps by making constant mistakes in big moments and generally just not being ready for prime time. They learned over the course of several seasons and were able to win in games like we had last night. It's frustrating losing the way we did on a possession that should have been defended differently/better, but Doncic is a star and star players make amazing plays. Young teams make young team plays until they learn from them. Nothing to be concerned about at all IMO. If anything, I have confidence in this group's ability to  get better from something like this.

Yes, they really played a good game overall, with just 7 TOs. 

That probably isn't going to go that well most games.

6 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Did you have a real time feed?  Was this about the Grayson Allen missed free throws? Non-tape delay and you got to see the Luka dagger in real time?  Either way I came down with an immense feeling of dread after reading your cryptic post.

Missed free throws, but it was very cryptic

3 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

this is a big problem, I agree. WHy is JV out there with 1.8 seconds left? Need a quicker big like clarke or tillman, especially since rebounding isn't going to be an issue

He's out there because he's by far the biggest body and they had him on the inbounder. That is actually coaching 101. If they are guarding the inbounder, it should be JV 100% of the time (at least until JJJ gets back) because it should always be your biggest/longest player.

The counter is if you decide not to guard the inbounder at all, then it probably shouldn't be JV, unless maybe you have him in the paint to protect from a pass/alley-oop to a cutter. There is an argument to be made for that.

I can't say Clarke or Tillman would have been any better at turning and helping in that quick a situation if they were guarding the inbounder, especially without fouling, which you never want to do on a guy like Luka behind the line in that situation because he can still maybe get a shot up and get 3 FTs out of it.

Not to trash Brooks, because this loss is not on him at all, but he came up way too high to get close to Luka. I don't know if he was expecting JV to turn and help trap him, but that's tough to count on in that short a time. Better to still give a bit of space and play it straight up and if anything make sure he has to reverse direction if you're going to overplay (ie try to get to the sideline side of him). Luka caught it like 30 feet from the basket and likely would have had to settle for a tough fading 3pt attempt if Brooks just stayed off him just a little bit so that he didn't have an obvious lane forward. Instead he caught it and Brooks was basically sending him forward on the drive with no help. Looked like they were counting too much on the clock, as if there wasn't enough time for a dribble. 

5 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

I've seen Luka do stuff like this since he was a little boy. Nothing he does surprises me any more. He has the clutch gene.

8 hours ago, Lugan Village said:

BigHunk, having your biggest big on the inbound is a solid decision, it was a fluky shot made by a very talented player.  It happens.  The game was in our hands, we missed both shots.  Should Grayson get chance to redeem himself, for sure.  For me, Grayson is a second unit guy.  I'd play Melton in first unit when he is healthy.

7 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I mean, if the end result of the defensive setup is that the other team has to make a one legged one hand out of balance three point shot in order to win you can't really blame the defense.

Yeah it wasn't a criticism, just an observation.

I mean, in situations like this you could unpack all the events and point to a number of events and say "if only..." Ultimately the most obvious one is the two missed FTs to ice the game, which is a shame for Son of Jenkins because he had a very very good game.

I'm going to call that final shot a BS fluke. It makes me feel better about it 😊

1 minute ago, BigHunkALove said:

Yeah it wasn't a criticism, just an observation.

I mean, in situations like this you could unpack all the events and point to a number of events and say "if only..." Ultimately the most obvious one is the two missed FTs to ice the game, which is a shame for Son of Jenkins because he had a very very good game.

I'm going to call that final shot a BS fluke. It makes me feel better about it 😊

Yeah, I got it. Jenkins and the team should watch that play on video until they see it in their nightmares. That won't change the fact that you can always point out to things that could have been done better when players have to make split second decisions. Rarely people points out what could have been done worse.

5 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Missed free throws, but it was very cryptic

Yeah.  No kidding.  I immediately got a bad feeling.  On the other hand, I guess we don’t have any remote viewers in the audience.