Blake Griffin

LaMarcus Aldridge

Andre Drummond

Gorgui

Meyers Leonard

DeMarcus Cousins

Damian Jones

Alex Len

Pretty sure the mostly inactive Hassan Whiteside could have been had for a conditional 2nd round pick

Plus Jeff Teague, Andre Roberson, Iman Shumpert, Glenn Robinson III and Jabari Parker and other guys that seemed really good when they were drafted.

I liked watching Gorgui as a Grizzly. Good luck big guy. I'm sure we'll see more of your game down the road.

3 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Big men able to be picked up for pennies on the buyout market, if desired

Blake Griffin

LaMarcus Aldridge

Andre Drummond

Gorgui

Meyers Leonard

DeMarcus Cousins

Damian Jones

Alex Len

Pretty sure the mostly inactive Hassan Whiteside could have been had for a conditional 2nd round pick

Plus Jeff Teague, Andre Roberson, Iman Shumpert, Glenn Robinson III and Jabari Parker and other guys that seemed really good when they were drafted.

Here's the thing about pro sports.  If Colin Kaepernich, as a civil rights activist who protested police brutality and racial inequality, can't get work despite being (per NFL stats archive in 2018) in the top 20 QB's all time in passer rating... I won't be too distraught about Myers Leonard having to end up playing in Kazakhstan or for the most obscure semi-pro league such as the NABL where 2 of the 9 teams that actually still exist are in Ft. Worth TX.  

BK3909kCQAEibqT.jpg

Here's one of the teams.  He should have a pretty good height advantage.

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's the other.  Hope he likes purple & beige two-tone uniforms.

If Meyers Leonard had Kobe Bryant's talent he'd still be in the league.

Or even Montrezl Harrell's.

The only guy I see on that list that I would have wanted to see succeed is Gorgui, except now that he is with the Spurs, I have to temper that.  Unless there is some free agent pickup(s), this buyout made no sense.

4 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

The only guy I see on that list that I would have wanted to see succeed is Gorgui, except now that he is with the Spurs, I have to temper that.  Unless there is some free agent pickup(s), this buyout made no sense.

doesn't this now allow them to give their G Leaguers 10 day contracts?  they do this every season. 

6 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

We don't know if it was a full buyout or minus the money he'll get when he signs a vet minimum contract, like they did with Dwight Howard. It wouldn't be a lot of money but in a season like this one everything counts.

If not it may just be a matter of creating goodwill. Players may be less reluctant to play for us if they know we'll take care of them at the end of their stay.

Anyway, it's most likely a matter of freeing up a roster spot 10 day contracts, in order to give our G-leaguers a bit more money. We've done that in the past, and at this point Gorgui was as much a part of the rotation as McDermott or Tillie and less likely to stay around beyond this season.

Lakers signed Drummond.  The guy was averaging a 17/13 double-double.  Somebody good was bound to want him.

11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

doesn't this now allow them to give their G Leaguers 10 day contracts?  they do this every season. 

Their G-Leaguers or anybody elses, that is fine.  I'd love to even give a look to Jeremy Lin.

I'd been great if they'd done it after JJJ returns.

The problem now is if JV goes down, or gets hit with COVID-19 protocol, we roll out Tillie, Porter, Tillman alongside BC and KA.  What other playoff hopeful drops a player as good as Gorgui without something better on deck or coming in?  Are they trying to make playoffs or are they hoping they don't?

It's like we trading in car or auto insurance for a trip or two to Six Flags.

12 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

We don't know if it was a full buyout or minus the money he'll get when he signs a vet minimum contract, like they did with Dwight Howard. It wouldn't be a lot of money but in a season like this one everything counts.

If not it may just be a matter of creating goodwill. Players may be less reluctant to play for us if they know we'll take care of them at the end of their stay.

Anyway, it's most likely a matter of freeing up a roster spot 10 day contracts, in order to give our G-leaguers a bit more money. We've done that in the past, and at this point Gorgui was as much a part of the rotation as McDermott or Tillie and less likely to stay around beyond this season.

If Gorgui gave back significant cash, like LA did with Spurs, I do not fault them for buying him out. I understand it is a business in that aspect.

I think the Grizzlies have bought plenty of goodwill lately though, so I don't really buy that aspect.

2 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Their G-Leaguers or anybody elses, that is fine.  I'd love to even give a look to Jeremy Lin.

I'd been great if they'd done it after JJJ returns.

The problem now is if JV goes down, or gets hit with COVID-19 protocol, we roll out Tillie, Porter, Tillman alongside BC and KA.  What other playoff hopeful drops a player as good as Gorgui without something better on deck or coming in?  Are they trying to make playoffs or are they hoping they don't?

It's like we trading in car or auto insurance for a trip or two to Six Flags.

i don't think they really care if we make the playoffs or not.    Truth is we have 4 guys that have lined up at the 5 this season so don't really see why anyone is worried about losing Gorgui.     I expect JV to get some nights off so they can get a better look at Tillie or Porter.  

4 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Reading your list i came to a conclusion...

There is a place / need for talented bigs - rookie or not... 

And ... man !

Some of those names fell off quick!

Four or five short years ago your top 3 plus Boogie pre-injury were thought to be putting in work.

Guess yall were right with all of the college watching ... 

Scoot over I guess i need to take a closer look at the incoming ceew.

12 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Blake Griffin

LaMarcus Aldridge

Andre Drummond

Gorgui

Meyers Leonard

DeMarcus Cousins

Damian Jones

Alex Len

31 minutes ago, Wells said:

Windbag is a better name for him.  He's been hanging off of LeBron's jock since 2003, following him everywhere he goes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Windhorst

Unless they sign an impactful player (and not a sampling of G-League guys), what other justification is there?

If it comes out that Dieng gave significant money back, and the team did it for money saving reasons, I can actually accept that. There is no competitive reason to allow good teammate like Dieng to walk to a team you are in a playoff race with except to improve your own lottery odds and draft pick positions.

23 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Unless they sign an impactful player (and not a sampling of G-League guys), what other justification is there?

If it comes out that Dieng gave significant money back, and the team did it for money saving reasons, I can actually accept that. There is no competitive reason to allow good teammate like Dieng to walk to a team you are in a playoff race with except to improve your own lottery odds and draft pick positions.

So, what is the difference between having Gorgui riding the pine  for the remainder of the season and releasing him so that he can find a team that will put him on the court? His salary was the reason why the Grizzlies could not trade him.

4 hours ago, Wells said:

So, what is the difference between having Gorgui riding the pine  for the remainder of the season and releasing him so that he can find a team that will put him on the court? His salary was the reason why the Grizzlies could not trade him.

Your question is similar to "Why have car insurance when you haven't used it lately?"

1. If JV gets hurt now, who is the best option to play significant minutes at center for WINNING games against teams that play a center: Gorgui Dieng, Tillie, or Porter? Tillman is fine when teams aren't playing true centers.   That answer is different if you are just considered about "young player development" (also known as partially tanking).

2. If Dieng helps the Spurs, why the hell would you give them an asset when you are competing against them and could play them in a play-in game?

Again, I don't have an issue with buying out Gorgui if there was significant amount of money given back (Aldridge gave back over $7 million) and/or they are giving legit looks to young players (especially since they are in partial tank mode), but Gorgui still was the 2nd best center on this team when he was bought out. 

15 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Again, I don't have an issue with buying out Gorgui if there was significant amount of money given back (Aldridge gave back over $7 million) and/or they are giving legit looks to young players (especially since they are in partial tank mode), but Gorgui still was the 2nd best center on this team when he was bought out. 

The Grizzlies got no money back, they waived Gorgui, and did not negotiate a buyout. Gorgui gets his full salary.