memphis slim

our future #1 option

once we have a healthy jjj back and alongside ja and winslow on the court...

who is our number one option on the squad?

I could certainly see a scenario where ja could fill that spot, but does the fo want that from him?

I believe that, given the right pieces/magnets around him, ja could be the 1st option.

the issue has been opposing teams focus a great deal of the efforts shutting him down now.

if the team can pull those defenders away with jjj and another reliable threat on the wing...then that will free up ja.

I don't think, however, that is what we want from ja. of course, from time to time, he is going to take over, but we need his passing and getting others comfortable from the jump.

could jjj be that guy? love him, but I believe he has a good deal of maturing to do in order to take those reigns.

thoughts? I know some will say the guy is not on the roster as of now...

slim.

I’m thinking it should be Jaren but it depends on if he can stay on the floor if he’s still having foul problems then it’s Ja until they find someone to be the main scoring option.

8 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I’m thinking it should be Jaren but it depends on if he can stay on the floor if he’s still having foul problems then it’s Ja until they find someone to be the main scoring option.

Also both of them not having a real midrange game is the only real hesitation i have.     Otherwise as far as scoring goes - i do think Ja would prefer passing than scoring.   Which means Jaren is primary by default. 

Who is first option should always depend upon matchups.  Against a team like the Clippers, who have Patrick Beverley, Kawhi, Reggie Jackson and Paul George to use as defenders against Ja, then Ja needs to start out in Pass first mode, setting up Jonas, Jaren, Brandon & X to score in the paint until the defense loosens up. In contrast, against a team like the Sixers, Ja has a distinct athletic advantage over anyone that they might assign to cover him, so him being aggressive attacking opens up opportunities for both him and the rest of the team when Embiid and Simmons have to provide help defense in the paint.

good points around. never thought I would be on board, but I believe jjj is the logical #1 option moving forward. again, he has holes in his game and will need to dedicate himself to improving in some areas, but he has the ability to do it.

slim.

23 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

good points around. never thought I would be on board, but I believe jjj is the logical #1 option moving forward. again, he has holes in his game and will need to dedicate himself to improving in some areas, but he has the ability to do it.

slim.

He’s our best volume shooter by far.  Maybe we can turn him into a 7 foot Reggie Miller who can also get to the line and gets buckets off post ups.  

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Also both of them not having a real midrange game is the only real hesitation i have.     Otherwise as far as scoring goes - i do think Ja would prefer passing than scoring.   Which means Jaren is primary by default. 

I think he hides that by being able to beat his man off the dribble the mid range is one of the more inefficient areas of the court so it’s a good thing that he shoots either 3’s or at the rim. But that post fade away has always been a bailout bucket for the good bigs in the league and Jaren doesn’t have that in his bag

JJJ is clearly in advance compare to Ja in term of shooting. B,ut a Ja at 20 ppg, 8 assists is perfect for me.

The question is can JJJ become a 25 ppg player? if yes he will be our player number one despite his fouls issue and rebound weakness. We  still need clearly  another guy at 20 ppg next year, it will make the team better and will take out some pressure from our 2 young star. Get Beal or Fournier and it will help.

JJJ for now. Ja in a year or two. 

Your #1 option has to be able to initiate offense, to create for himself and ideally others as well. For that reason, even if he averages less points, Ja is the #1 option and Jaren really can't be.

4 minutes ago, Everett said:

Your #1 option has to be able to initiate offense, to create for himself and ideally others as well. For that reason, even if he averages less points, Ja is the #1 option and Jaren really can't be.

Yep. #1 has to be able to initiate and distribute as well as score. Ja is cleary #1, imo. Surprised so many picking Jaren, but it's a free country. 

I'm riding with Ja -> Allen Iverson-esque drive.

I don't think you can pick a leader... they usually introduce themselves.

Also, allowing Ja to distribute the ball makes his position that much more important. 

Designating him our #1 option showcases the different ways he hits our guys in rhythm.

He definitely has the right mixture of confidence and cockiness.

built not born.

we are watching him grow.

47 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Yep. #1 has to be able to initiate and distribute as well as score. Ja is cleary #1, imo. Surprised so many picking Jaren, but it's a free country. 

Well a #1 option can theoretically not be much of a shot creator for others. It's rare though. The best recent example I can think of is Dirk. How much better would his run with Dallas have been if they never let Nash get away?

10 minutes ago, Everett said:

Well a #1 option can theoretically not be much of a shot creator for others. It's rare though. The best recent example I can think of is Dirk. How much better would his run with Dallas have been if they never let Nash get away?

I was living in DFW when that happened. Cuban blew it. Mavs could have cheaply re-signed Nash for months before free agency rolled around. But Cuban always has to be the smartest guy in the room, was making the arguments about how small guards fade as they age. Actually posted some studies on his blog. I'm sure Nash appreciated that. 

Phoenix flew in their front office and coaching staff and stole Nash. Nash only won the next two MVPS, and then finished 2nd the 3rd year. 

I think our team is built so that our #1each night will be whichever player the opponent can't stop.  We have multiple ways to score.   

We're a long way from hoping ZBo can dominate until Conley finally finds the range some time in the second half. 

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

I was living in DFW when that happened. Cuban blew it. Mavs could have cheaply re-signed Nash for months before free agency rolled around. But Cuban always has to be the smartest guy in the room, was making the arguments about how small guards fade as they age. Actually posted some studies on his blog. I'm sure Nash appreciated that. 

Phoenix flew in their front office and coaching staff and stole Nash. Nash only won the next two MVPS, and then finished 2nd the 3rd year. 

Yeah, and talked about how he already had some back issues. And Nash did continue to have back issues, but they were manageable. 

They would've been up there with the Spurs as the best teams in the West every year through the mid-00s. And it's not like Dallas or PHX were bad, but it does feel like a team of Nash + Dirk both playing at MVP levels would have been better than either team was at their peak during that time.

28 minutes ago, TimBC said:

I think our team is built so that our #1each night will be whichever player the opponent can't stop.  We have multiple ways to score.   

We're a long way from hoping ZBo can dominate until Conley finally finds the range some time in the second half. 

Multiple ways to score doesn't mean you can count on the guy putting up 20+ points to make the right plays and possibly dominate a game in the 4th quarter. If Brooks or Allen are leading your team in scoring because they got hot from 3, do you want the ball in their hands with 3 minutes left in a close game? I'm almost getting nauseous just thinking of it. Would much rather the ball is in Ja's hands regardless. He'll still be the best way for those secondary players to get good shots. Ja is so young, and I feel like he's way ahead of the development curve of his comparable players (Westbrook, Wall, etc.) in terms of decision-making.

3 hours ago, Everett said:

How much better would his run with Dallas have been if they never let Nash get away?

good one.

they tried to get cute ... 

Maybe Options 1/1a/1b are the way to go.  Like Kyrie/Harden or Durant.  Or, the infamous Wade/LeBron/Bosh trio.  So all we need is a combo Harden/LeBron type.  Maybe it’s Winslow.... or just complement Ja/Jaren with tons of interchangeable parts at 2-4 (like we are doing).  I actually doubt that Luka or Zion or Trae or LaMelo form a “big 3” on their respective small market/meh market teams.  

9 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Maybe Options 1/1a/1b are the way to go.  Like Kyrie/Harden or Durant.  Or, the infamous Wade/LeBron/Bosh trio.  So all we need is a combo Harden/LeBron type.  Maybe it’s Winslow.... or just complement Ja/Jaren with tons of interchangeable parts at 2-4 (like we are doing).  I actually doubt that Luka or Zion or Trae or LaMelo form a “big 3” on their respective small market/meh market teams.  

I think we're ahead of all 4 of those younger teams that you mentioned. Dallas has already given up so much draft capital to get where they are, but we own all of our future firsts, plus two others. Hornets are doing well, but in a terrible eastern conference. We'd be in 4th in the East, and that's without playing an easier schedule like the get to do. Pelicans aren't good despite having several good young pieces and several good vets. Atlanta completely fizzled after a solid start, but that's without Hunter who was playing really well. 

Though to be fair to us, we're ahead of every single one of those teams right now, and that was without Jaren the whole season, Ja for 8 games, Justise for 25 games, and several other various injuries/sicknesses. I think it is safe to say Jaren would've helped us win at least a couple more games, which would put us in the playoffs right now. 

6 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I think we're ahead of all 4 of those younger teams that you mentioned. Dallas has already given up so much draft capital to get where they are, but we own all of our future firsts, plus two others. Hornets are doing well, but in a terrible eastern conference. We'd be in 4th in the East, and that's without playing an easier schedule like the get to do. Pelicans aren't good despite having several good young pieces and several good vets. Atlanta completely fizzled after a solid start, but that's without Hunter who was playing really well. 

Though to be fair to us, we're ahead of every single one of those teams right now, and that was without Jaren the whole season, Ja for 8 games, Justise for 25 games, and several other various injuries/sicknesses. I think it is safe to say Jaren would've helped us win at least a couple more games, which would put us in the playoffs right now. 

If I were a Mavs fan I would be filled with angst. Already down a first from the Luka trade, they blew their stash on KP.  And he’s ... hurt a lot.  Luka is a mega high usage guy so he turns other guys into role players.  But he isn’t the physical specimen as a guy like LeBron so maybe winning with Luka isn’t gonna be as easy as it looks.  Before that draft I wondered if he was gonna be the Mike Trout of the NBA.  Could be... the Mavs have work to do and not a ton of cash or picks to work with.  

Zion is good.  Great.  Might need another elite guy there.  Those players are hard to find.  

Ja has super high upside.  If he can play like he did last night then he should end up with a couple of Finals MVP awards.  Elite playmaker who can also get his own.  At some point we probably have to cash in those future picks.  Maybe starting with this year’s draft.  If Jaren turns into Chris Bosh 2.0 then I think we can win at the highest level with only a BIG TWO (but with tons of complementary depth).  Draft-wise, if we pick as many long shot home runs as busts along with a few decent contributors we should be ok.  

Ja plays like he did a couple nights ago He's clearly the number 1 option.