• 2/26 vs LAC?
    • 2/28 @ HOU?
    • 3/2 @ WAS?
    • 3/4 vs MIL?
    • First week after the break?
    • Two weeks after the break
    • Later in the season?
    • Next season?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/17/2021 at 01:30 PM

14 hours ago, BAMAFREAK said:

He hasn’t done near enough to pay him the max. Would kill this franchise if they do that and he is what he looks to be.....injury prone and slow to heal. Like all time slow to heal

Yeah, I’m kinda getting a bad feeling about this too.

How far can the league go with performance-based contracts? 

Like an extra $4 million  if you play at least 40 games, etc. ?

I know that when JJJ hits free agency eventually, someone out there MIGHT say "hey, we'll give you that amount without conditions," but the team has to protect itself a bit.  

Or do teams have to rely on insurance (who'd insure JJJ's knees now?) and IP exceptions?

6 hours ago, Allen said:

So let him walk?

It’s worth noting that if no extension is signed this offseason, JJJ would still be a restricted free agent after next season, so it’s not like the Grizz would lose all control in that scenario.  

I don’t think you just throw the max at him if he ends up not playing or barely playing this season.  But if he can come back for a solid stretch then it’s fine to see how he looks and evaluate from there. 

7 hours ago, Allen said:

Yeah it’s the same as Steph Curry in his third year 

Yeah but curry played 80, 74, and 26 games his first 3 years. He's actually been pretty durable until last year.

2 hours ago, grizzknob said:

It’s worth noting that if no extension is signed this offseason, JJJ would still be a restricted free agent after next season, so it’s not like the Grizz would lose all control in that scenario.  

I don’t think you just throw the max at him if he ends up not playing or barely playing this season.  But if he can come back for a solid stretch then it’s fine to see how he looks and evaluate from there. 

agree. There's no reason to max him now. Figure out his value and offer that and if it doesn't work out let him play the season with impending free agency hanging over his head. Players always have career years when that happens.

On 3/18/2021 at 9:29 PM, BAMAFREAK said:

He hasn’t done near enough to pay him the max. Would kill this franchise if they do that and he is what he looks to be.....injury prone and slow to heal. Like all time slow to heal

to be fair jaren's first two injuries he could of played if it would have mean anything...heck he can play now

First game back: at Portland for Bill Walton/Sam Bowie/Greg Oden poster night.

P.S. when I tried to post this the first time, an “error warning” came up.  lol

#FactChecked

On 3/19/2021 at 7:49 PM, Grizzfan7979 said:

agree. There's no reason to max him now. Figure out his value and offer that and if it doesn't work out let him play the season with impending free agency hanging over his head. Players always have career years when that happens.

Looking more like what's going to happen 

I am starting to feel like he is not coming back at all this year.

the lack of coverage and news is pathetic btw.

and, no...he is nowhere near a max guy. we are truly rolling the dice at this point.

slim.

39 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

and, no...he is nowhere near a max guy. we are truly rolling the dice at this point.

slim.

I said awhile back if he's not back by late March/early April, there's really no reason to bring him back this year. If he comes back in mid to late April only to play 10 games, what purpose does that serve?

It also begs the question of the nature of his injury and are they disclosing the truth. I mean, I would assume the NBA has rules around reporting injuries but it could be he tore his meniscus as well as a ligament(s) but the Grizz are only reporting the meniscus or it could be he had a setback in recovery from the meniscus tear. It just leads to speculation and for people's minds to wander. Don't make my mind wander, you won't like my mind when it wanders. 

1 minute ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

It also begs the question of the nature of his injury and are they disclosing the truth. I mean, I would assume the NBA has rules around reporting injuries but it could be he tore his meniscus as well as a ligament(s) but the Grizz are only reporting the meniscus or it could be he had a setback in recovery from the meniscus tear. It just leads to speculation and for people's minds to wander. Don't make my mind wander, you won't like my mind when it wanders. 

I think it is definitely the latter. The one guy, Dr. Patel, said it was pain and swelling in the knee. So JJJ works out, they see how he responds the next day, he has pain, so they back off. Probably has happened more than once.

Not good. It will 8 months around April 10th. For a meniscus repair, which others have returned from in as little as 3 months. 

4 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I said awhile back if he's not back by late March/early April, there's really no reason to bring him back this year. If he comes back in mid to late April only to play 10 games, what purpose does that serve?

If he tore ligaments he would need surgery to recover. No surgery likely means no torn ligaments. He's had problems getting over swelling and pain from what I hear but that is just rumors. 

It could be that he is soft or it could be he is just a slow healer. Either way it sucks for Memphis Fans. 

50 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

slim.

The Magic have Mo Bamba and just traded for Wendell Carter Jr. Maybe we can trade him there so Orlando can complete their Axis of 2018 Draft Bigs.

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

If he tore ligaments he would need surgery to recover. No surgery likely means no torn ligaments. He's had problems getting over swelling and pain from what I hear but that is just rumors. 

It could be that he is soft or it could be he is just a slow healer. Either way it sucks for Memphis Fans. 

Hindsight is 20/20, but his injury looked WEIRD and BAD at the same time.  Like his knee just quit or something?  We were .500 with him last year and .500 without him. When will it be time to move on?  Maxing out (potentially) Jaren Bowie air.  (basically) could be disastrous.  

If JJJ comes back, he's out of shape and probably won't gel with the team for a while.

It's too bad that it's taken him this long to return.  I hope this won't be a regular event, of him taking a long time to recover from an injury.

57 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I thought he did have surgery last summer.

My mind is just wandering and I am just throwing out conspiracy theories. I'm sure it's just complications from the meniscus recovery

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

I think it is definitely the latter. The one guy, Dr. Patel, said it was pain and swelling in the knee. So JJJ works out, they see how he responds the next day, he has pain, so they back off. Probably has happened more than once.

Not good. It will 8 months around April 10th. For a meniscus repair, which others have returned from in as little as 3 months. 

If he goes well into April, I just don't see any reason for him to come back this season, playoffs or not. Just let him properly recover. 

He did have surgery. It is not the usual route to treat the meniscus injury he had, but it is less likely to have long-term (as in for years) issues and also more likely to have a slower recovery from the procedure. 

45 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I thought he did have surgery last summer.

My mind is just wandering and I am just throwing out conspiracy theories. I'm sure it's just complications from the meniscus recovery

If he goes well into April, I just don't see any reason for him to come back this season, playoffs or not. Just let him properly recover. 

I think Chip was saying if he had a separate procedure on the ligament, as you hypothesized. 

We know he had the meniscus repair surgery around August 10th. 

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

I think Chip was saying if he had a separate procedure on the ligament, as you hypothesized. 

We know he had the meniscus repair surgery around August 10th. 

My point was maybe the knee was injured more than they let on initially and only reported it as a meniscus tear when in actuality it may have also been a ligament tear in addition to the meniscus tear back then. I was just throwing out speculation but my point was, it was much more serious than they originally reported and withheld information. It's just a conspiracy theory on my part.

If Jenkins would stop lying about all this, we wouldn't need to consider conspiracy theories.

Add possible post-op infection to the list, that'd cause swelling and pain, and be problematic to treat and correct

2 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

My point was maybe the knee was injured more than they let on initially and only reported it as a meniscus tear when in actuality it may have also been a ligament tear in addition to the meniscus tear back then. I was just throwing out speculation but my point was, it was much more serious than they originally reported and withheld information. It's just a conspiracy theory on my part.

I gotcha you. The one guy said JJJ had had the surgery, and of course we know that you knew that. Was trying to fill in the gaps. 

Properly recover? It’s been about 2.5x as long as a recovery for a meniscus repair already. There is something really wrong in there. 
8 months for this. 
He missed extended time for a thigh bruise his first year. 
If this was any other market outside of maybe OKC, there would g be this much secrecy. It’s ridiculous. 

Just now, BAMAFREAK said:

Properly recover? It’s been about 2.5x as long as a recovery for a meniscus repair already. There is something really wrong in there. 
8 months for this. 
He missed extended time for a thigh bruise his first year. 
If this was any other market outside of maybe OKC, there would g be this much secrecy. It’s ridiculous. 

This. 100%. 

LIke in the NFL, you get why they lie about injuries. The opponent will try to exploit it that Sunday. The confusing part is why Kleiman and company feel the need to be so secretive. It's not like the whole league doesn't know that Jaren had a bad knee injury and surgery.