GameOn

Poll: srmjr23 vs The J Crew: Will Gorgui Dieng be traded by the deadline?

srmjr23 vs The J Crew: Will Gorgui Dieng be traded by the deadline?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Will Gorgui Dieng be traded by the trade deadline?

• srmjr23 will win the 25 bucks. YES, Gorgui will be traded by the deadline.
    • The J Crew will win the 25 bucks. NO, Gorgui will NOT be traded by the deadline.

All this talk about trade Dillon, trade JV, on and on. Well now it gets serious. Big throw down in the forum tonight. srmjr23 vs The J Crew. srmjr23 says Gorgui will be traded by the deadline. The J Crew says NO WAY. 25 bucks on the line. Who is going to be $25 richer by March 25? VOTE NOW.

Dieng will NOT be traded...there is Wall, Blake and Russ but we're not trading for that. Teams might give a second for $4m McGee but not 17m Gorgui...buy out possibility but unlikely as we might need him if injury strikes...so I am almost 100% sure  J Crew is $25 richer.

He'll be traded if a contender loses a big to injury - but only a contender that can find a way to give us something to make the $$ work. Conclusion: trade unlikely. 

I doubt if he gets traded. We would have to take back salary in the range of $17M which would more than likely be multi year salary. Why would we do that? Makes sense to let it fall off like they let Iggy, Crowder and Hill's salaries fall off instead of taking back longer term....d'oh. They didn't do that did they?

Well, it makes sense to keep him and let it fall off but it wouldn't surprise me if they make a trade taking back longer term salary. Be ready for an Eric Bledsoe or Eric Gordon or any other dude name Eric making that amount of money with a longer contract to be traded for Gorgui.This F.O. seems to love to have contracts just sitting on the books tying up the salary cap for some reason. I guess it gives them a nice excuse to not make any major moves or make any major signings if you don't have cap space. 

1 hour ago, TimBC said:

He'll be traded if a contender loses a big to injury - but only a contender that can find a way to give us something to make the $$ work. Conclusion: trade unlikely. 

This is my thinking. That and teams that want the space to sign a FA this offseason, obviously. Maybe Dallas wants to sign Derozen for example? Something like this. I believe the likelihood of  him getting traded at the deadline went down by a lot when Giannis signed with the Bucks (something I believe the FO considered when making the trade for him) but I still think it's possible. I believe there is a team out there to get it done with.

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

Somebody started a poll? Too funny. Now it's like a border war. 

Is it bad form to vote for myself? 

#FreeGorgui

Already voted for myself. #FreeGorgui

11 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

It's that Catholic guilt thing, can't vote for myself.

In Little League, our baseball team got 2 all stars. I finished 3rd by a vote. Coach told me before he announced the vote. Asked if I had voted for myself, I said no. He said you know Danny, the guy who finished 2nd, voted for himself? I said yeah, probably. 

Anyway, he told the team we had a tie for 2nd, needed to re-vote. Danny and I could not vote. I won re-vote. Seemed liked a big deal at the time. 

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

It's that Catholic guilt thing, can't vote for myself.

In Little League, our baseball team got 2 all stars. I finished 3rd by a vote. Coach told me before he announced the vote. Asked if I had voted for myself, I said no. He said you know Danny, the guy who finished 2nd, voted for himself? I said yeah, probably. 

Anyway, he told the team we had a tie for 2nd, needed to re-vote. Danny and I could not vote. I won re-vote. Seemed liked a big deal at the time. 

I didn't check the Catholic Guilt Manual, but I thought I would abstain from voting since I started the poll. We may need to get the Morality Mods to weigh in on the poll rules. 😄   

2 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

I like the guy.  If he can end up on a team and get a ring then I am all for it.  I like him here and wouldn’t mind resigning him (on the cheap) but who knows what will happen.  

5 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I like the guy.  If he can end up on a team and get a ring then I am all for it.  I like him here and wouldn’t mind resigning him (on the cheap) but who knows what will happen.  

I wouldn't be opposed to resigning him, for sure. I think he's going to get paid more than I'd want him, personally. A lot of it would depend on what our plans are for JV too.

I think Gorgui is available, but I don't think he's gong to be traded because I don't think they want to take back salary past this year.

Now if there is an expiring on a contender that matches salary, and they can offer a late 2nd rounder, feel free to deal.

It's not just that you take on salary, if there are multiple players involved (Dieng for 2 players), you have to clear a roster spot, and I don't think they want to do that.

DIeng seems liked he's liked well enough and given the health situation of our team (a deep injury report and a shallow bench), I'd like to keep him around at a team friendly deal next year or two.  They have enough young projects in Tillie, Porter and Tillman that his roster spot will probably go to some veteran anyway.

7 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to resigning him, for sure. I think he's going to get paid more than I'd want him, personally. A lot of it would depend on what our plans are for JV too.

Marc Gasol took a major haircut signing with the Lakers. He went from $25 mill down to $2.5 mill/yr. Now mind you he might also get another ring out of that deal. Assuming the FO would want to keep Gorgui (and screw you out of your lunch money) what do you think our maximum offer should be?

I think he gets traded. I just dont see us really getting anything other than a 2nd or maybe a bench player we cut at the end of the season