1 hour ago, King Dork said:

I think we are at the point where we don’t need to be grabbing for bad contracts + picks. First round picks are overrated. 

No they are not, we have no major player to resign this offseason and the next one. We can afford to have a player for 2 or 3 years just for the sake of getting a young talent or a potential top pick.

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Because guys like Tillman Kyle and Bane have shown worthy of playing time and further development.   Grayson may not have a future with the team due to being up for contract next season.    

But where does Kyle fit when Jaren comes back now that Justise is healthy?   Does Grayson (Taylor stepson) gets pushed back out of rotation in order to move Dillon back to SG?   I just think we have too many guys worthy of further development and that is really difficult for a young coach to juggle.    Unless yesterday was a preview of how TJ is gonna handle it.   SImply just give dudes the night off but how can you build real chemistry that way?   

I could be wrong but i think some moves are gonna be made at the very least Gorgui. 

So we get a guy who looks to be an elite shooter and he’s not part of the future plans because we have to pay him???? That makes absolutely no sense. If anything Melton becomes redundant because Winslow fills the defensive stopper role and is a better secondary ball handler. Neither can shoot so that’s a push. The last thing you do in today’s NBA I’d give up shooting. 

Only people I’d deal are Dillon, Melton, Dieng. Konchar is safe because he has no trade value. The other 3 could play minutes on a good team. 

People sleep on Melton so hard. The only thing that was really lack from his game last year was a consistent three. He's now shooting over 40% this year with increased attempts from last year. 

Out of the main 2 guard competition of Grayson, Bane, and Dillon he the best passer, the best finisher around the rim, best ball handler, easily the best defender (best on the team this year), also the best shot blocker on the entire team (yes including the big men). All of that and a 40% 3 point shooter? That sounds like a key piece going forward. Plus he's on a very reasonable deal. 

That aside, the game against the Mavericks is the perfect time for Justise to prove his worth. We brought him in to defend the opposing team's best perimeter player. He's going to have to defend Doncic a ton tomorrow so I hope he can do a good job. That is certainly one of the keys to winning. 

Just to add. The dude might have been a little rough but give him 2 weeks. Get back into shape and a rhythm. 

7 hours ago, King Dork said:

So we get a guy who looks to be an elite shooter and he’s not part of the future plans because we have to pay him???? That makes absolutely no sense. If anything Melton becomes redundant because Winslow fills the defensive stopper role and is a better secondary ball handler. Neither can shoot so that’s a push. The last thing you do in today’s NBA I’d give up shooting. 

Only people I’d deal are Dillon, Melton, Dieng. Konchar is safe because he has no trade value. The other 3 could play minutes on a good team. 

If Taylor had a say so in personal decisions then i would agree with you.   You have to remember that his contract is up first so a decision has to be made on him quickly.  His shooting numbers may price him out of what they want to pay.   Plus we have a bigger potential younger version of him on the roster already in Bane.  

and as @Rdk4121 pointed out - you are sleeping on Melton's skillset (only thing grayson is better at is shooting) Size-wise Melton can guard anyone Grayson can.   Plus he is 3yrs younger than Grayson and already locked up.  

I am willing to deal anyone not named Ja Jaren Bane we know Justise and Konchar are safe due to no trade value.     I am looking at Tyus, Dieng, Dillon, Melton, Grayson, and even Clarke as guys that may be required in a trade.  

7 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

People sleep on Melton so hard. The only thing that was really lack from his game last year was a consistent three. He's now shooting over 40% this year with increased attempts from last year. 

Out of the main 2 guard competition of Grayson, Bane, and Dillon he the best passer, the best finisher around the rim, best ball handler, easily the best defender (best on the team this year), also the best shot blocker on the entire team (yes including the big men). All of that and a 40% 3 point shooter? That sounds like a key piece going forward. Plus he's on a very reasonable deal. 

That aside, the game against the Mavericks is the perfect time for Justise to prove his worth. We brought him in to defend the opposing team's best perimeter player. He's going to have to defend Doncic a ton tomorrow so I hope he can do a good job. That is certainly one of the keys to winning. 

I think Melton's issue is he can only play one position, Grayson too but he's been a great floor spacers, at least the best of the bunch. Dillon usually defends the best opposing player. Yes Melton is the better defender but he is limited, could you imagine Melton on lbj? With that said Melton still deserves pt and so does everyone not named John and Sean. 

8 hours ago, King Dork said:

Agree with this assessment. Konchar is almost on a minimum contract, plays hard, brings energy off the bench and could develop further. Keep him. Dieng is probably gone after the season anyway, I doubt he has much trade value. 

Dillon is the guy, to me, that is screaming he needs to be traded on roster construction. Would much rather than Grayson, melton, and Bane fight it out at the 2.

I am not sure that Dillon has any trade value though. No matter what some people on this board say, a guy shooting 31% from 3 and sub40% from the field who doesn't create and is turnover and foul prone is usually not in super high demand.

On 2/20/2021 at 10:46 PM, The J Crew said:

I hope Winslow becomes the next LeBron.  

My issue has always been more with Kleiman, who made that trade, yet never seems to get any criticism for it. 

It's too bad that Iggy for Luka trade never materialized. 

2 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I am not sure that Dillon has any trade value though. No matter what some people on this board say, a guy shooting 31% from 3 and sub40% from the field who doesn't create and is turnover and foul prone is usually not in super high demand.

I believe he could have some value to a set, veteran team. a team where the pecking order is not in doubt, nor is it to be questioned. in that type of environment, I believe that db could mature into a heck of a role player.

for the record, im totally with him in that its not his role or responsibility to lay back and wait on our guys to mature and take shots...he is trying his best and using his talent. 

slim.

47 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If Taylor had a say so in personal decisions then i would agree with you.   You have to remember that his contract is up first so a decision has to be made on him quickly.  His shooting numbers may price him out of what they want to pay.   Plus we have a bigger potential younger version of him on the roster already in Bane.  

and as @Rdk4121 pointed out - you are sleeping on Melton's skillset (only thing grayson is better at is shooting) Size-wise Melton can guard anyone Grayson can.   Plus he is 3yrs younger than Grayson and already locked up.  

I am willing to deal anyone not named Ja Jaren Bane we know Justise and Konchar are safe due to no trade value.     I am looking at Tyus, Dieng, Dillon, Melton, Grayson, and even Clarke as guys that may be required in a trade.  

Grayson is way better at running pick and roll and attacking the rim than melton. Also better at facilitating offense. Agree the decision to bring grayson back is contract dependent. He feels like a MLE or less than that player to me.

1 minute ago, memphis slim said:

I believe he could have some value to a set, veteran team. a team where the pecking order is not in doubt, nor is it to be questioned. in that type of environment, I believe that db could mature into a heck of a role player.

for the record, im totally with him in that its not his role or responsibility to lay back and wait on our guys to mature and take shots...he is trying his best and using his talent. 

slim.

He plays how he plays. Aggressive and a gunner. It is more on the coaching staff to take an honest look at his efficiency and adjust minutes accordingly. When we were 27-55 it didn't matter if he shot 40% from the floor because we didn't have better options anyway.

Just now, Grizzfan7979 said:

He plays how he plays. Aggressive and a gunner. It is more on the coaching staff to take an honest look at his efficiency and adjust minutes accordingly. When we were 27-55 it didn't matter if he shot 40% from the floor because we didn't have better options anyway.

on the lakers, you think he'd play like that? on the blazers, you think he'd play like that? bucs?

on a team where the pecking order is set, he'd fall right into his role.

slim.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:36 PM, Teddy.B said:

You know we are paying Waiters right? You know how much cap room we lost because of King Justise? 

In order for that to be consequential there would have to be a signing that we missed out on by having that money tied up. So how far under the tax would we have been without that money on the books and who was available to sign with that money who would have come here and been a difference  maker on a contract that was short enough and cheap enough as to not interfere with future moves or extending our young pieces? We took a flier on a young guy who we believed had untapped potential, if we decide it hasn't worked we can cut bait at the end of this season, no harm done.

3 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Grayson is way better at running pick and roll and attacking the rim than melton. Also better at facilitating offense. Agree the decision to bring grayson back is contract dependent. He feels like a MLE or less than that player to me.

Yea the contract issue is the biggest caveat IMHO.    We don't want to get into overpaying a bunch of role players this early on.  Tyus, Dillon, Melton, and Kyle already getting paid decently.  Do you really wanna throw an MLE at Grayson too?   Especially when Bane could easily be superior version of him.  

9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yea the contract issue is the biggest caveat IMHO.    We don't want to get into overpaying a bunch of role players this early on.  Tyus, Dillon, Melton, and Kyle already getting paid decently.  Do you really wanna throw an MLE at Grayson too?   Especially when Bane could easily be superior version of him.  

Melton's contract looks like it was an overpay. Someone in a thread the other day had a snarky remark about us paying 9 mil for a backup point guard, my first thought was "does this guy not realize we are also paying 9 mil for our 3rd string pg, who is incapable of playing pg effectively?". I mean even if you dont consider him a pg, and you shouldn't, he's not the clear cut backup at the 2 either when everyone is healthy.

I hope his shooting so far this season holds up, if his jumper is real he could be peak Boston Avery Bradley. But I think its more likely to regress back to the mean and leave him looking more like the journeyman Bradley has been since leaving Boston.

2 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Melton's contract looks like it was an overpay. Someone in a thread the other day had a snarky remark about us paying 9 mil for a backup point guard, my first thought was "does this guy not realize we are also paying 9 mil for our 3rd string pg, who is incapable of playing pg effectively?". I mean even if you dont consider him a pg, and you shouldn't, he's not the clear cut backup at the 2 either when everyone is healthy.

I hope his shooting so far this season holds up, if his jumper is real he could be peak Boston Avery Bradley. But I think its more likely to regress back to the mean and leave him looking more like the journeyman Bradley has been since leaving Boston.

I don't disagree with you on this.  I wasn't the biggest supported of resigning him.   If we have to keep Dillon and Justise stays healthy then there really is no need for Melton.  

I do like what Grayson has been doing and hope it is sustainable.  Who knows he could be pulling a "Kyle" too and finally evolving into his true potential.   If this is who Grayson is then yea he deserves the MLE.  

I just view it this way.  Who would be best fit to pair with Ja and Justise?   Dillon, Bane, Grayson or Melton?  

1 hour ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I disagree with that, Melton is a way better finisher at the rim (Grayson is like the second worst on the team), and Melton is a far better passer (like 3rd best behind Ja and Tyus). Just look at the advanced stats on that. Melton averages more assists per game and has a way higher assist percentage. 

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I don't disagree with you on this.  I wasn't the biggest supported of resigning him.   If we have to keep Dillon and Justise stays healthy then there really is no need for Melton.  

I do like what Grayson has been doing and hope it is sustainable.  Who knows he could be pulling a "Kyle" too and finally evolving into his true potential.   If this is who Grayson is then yea he deserves the MLE.  

I just view it this way.  Who would be best fit to pair with Ja and Justise?   Dillon, Bane, Grayson or Melton?  

Bane and Melton if I had to pick two

So far... I like the Winslow Brand. If not the game.  The game should catch up.  Maybe we are just the team that throws 4 or 5 oversized wings at other teams: Winslow, Kyle, Dillon, Bane (solid frame, like a 6’4 Vinnie Johnson).  Matt Barnes is the white Sean McDermott... or something.  

#IfTheseWingsCouldSoar

I haven’t read the recent posts in here but here’s my take. 
he is 100% part of the future, as evidence by the FO’s patience. 
I liked what he showed the other night. Came out aggressive and played pretty solid man d. Hit some shots late and showed that he can still dribble drive which we desperately need. 
I’ve always liked his game and we need a guy like him. If he can get back to being an elite wing defender and give us some ball handling and playmaking, he’s a huge part of the window we will be coming into next year. 

On 2/21/2021 at 5:57 AM, Grizzhype said:

Smitty...  Dont you remember many moons ago Justice scored 27 pts against us??  Thats a bad man!!  

But seriously, in terms of production capability, Justice has the highest ceiling...  I wanna see him in shape and showing everything in his bag...

This is hilarious.  That was one game against an entirely new team that had never played an NBA  game together.  JV and Jaren played two games together the prior season before Jaren went out, Dillon was injured most of the season prior, Jae Crowder wasn't even on the team, Ja was a rookie running an NBA team in his very first NBA game.  The only returning bench players that got in the game were Kyle and Bruno Caboclo, and Bruno only played over four minutes.  A totally new team in their first game and Winslow happened to have his best game of the season against us - so what?  Big deal.  Dillon has had better than that.  I'm just questioning this "upgrade compared to every wing on this team" idea that seems to be founded in fantasy instead of fact.

That being said I hope Justise rounds into shape and becomes a big contributor, without being injured.

10 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Agree with this assessment. Konchar is almost on a minimum contract, plays hard, brings energy off the bench and could develop further. Keep him. Dieng is probably gone after the season anyway, I doubt he has much trade value. 

Dillon is the guy, to me, that is screaming he needs to be traded on roster construction. Would much rather than Grayson, melton, and Bane fight it out at the 2.

Doesn't create what?

58 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Doncic went to halftime with 7 points and was abusing the furniture on the way out, I just tuned in but unless someone else was guarding Doncic in the first half I'd say Winslow's defense is as good as advertised. He did a great job on Booker last night too.

What about his 1 of 8 shooting tonight?  That's like 12%

Yeah,  so go ahead and bring up Wade Baldwin.  (yuck,yuck,yuck)

He shot 36% in the NBA and 44% in Portland.

33 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

What about his 1 of 8 shooting tonight?  That's like 12%

Yeah,  so go ahead and bring up Wade Baldwin.  (yuck,yuck,yuck)

He shot 36% in the NBA and 44% in Portland.

He was brought here to help playmaking and be the primary wing defender.   Nobody ever said Justise was a good scorer. 

That's like primarily criticizing Tony Allen for being a bad shooter and ignoring his role.