1 minute ago, Dwash said:

Is this better for you stupid nothing better antagonist for no reason little boy?  Here is the definition of what you called a "mythical" exception. 

Room Exception:

Year Salary
2020/21 $4,767,000
2021/22 $5,005,350
Total $9,772,350

Although this is also a mid-level exception of sorts, it’s colloquially known as the “room” exception, since it’s only available to teams that go below the cap and use their cap room.

If a club goes under the cap, it loses its full mid-level exception, but gets this smaller room exception, which allows the team to go over the cap to sign a player once the team has used up all its cap space. It can be used to sign players for up to two years, with a 5% raise for the second season.

I clearly said if we use our cap space on other options then this is what is left. Nothing about a **** taxpayer exception. I know this board is your life so you can't stand being wrong, but please try again. 

Clueless, thy name is Dwash. Lol. 

20 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Dwash, weren’t you the one telling us 3 days ago how Fournier wouldn’t produce for the Celtics the same day he scored like 24 points?

And coming up with ways for us to draft Wiseman last Fall?

You are consistent, I’ll give you that. 

I said Fournier wouldn't average close to 19 PPG for the Celtics like he did for Orlando and that he sucks in the playoffs. So far he has averaged 11.5 PPG in 4 games. 

And Wiseman? I was the one of the main ones complaining about all of the farfetched trade ideas for him. What in God's name are you talking about? Good lord you are sad, just nothing better to do but to drum up arguments over nothing.  Was here for years and can't tell you how much better this board was before you and a few other Ja bandwagoners showed up. 

But anyway, as you asked, I explained to the board what a room exception is and how the Grizzlies may have to use it. 

2 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Yeah, sure thing.  Great plan. 

The plan is to NOT pick up the 13m option of an often injured horrid shooting wing player. 

In order to operate under the cap we'd have to decline Winslow's option AND renounce his Bird rights. Otherwise he'd generate a $19.5M cap hold that would put us over the cap by itself.

We'd also have to renounce the BAE and non-taxpayer MLE, so I'm not sure what the plan will be. If we renounce Winslow and Porter we'd have around $25M in cap room minus our first round pick's contract. So not enough to sign a max salary player unless we make other moves.

It's going to be an interesting offseason regardless.

I liked Winslow when he first started playing, playing with purpose.

Now, I'm curious, is he going to be consistently out on injury?!?!

1 hour ago, rc0213 said:

I liked Winslow when he first started playing, playing with purpose.

Now, I'm curious, is he going to be consistently out on injury?!?!

Yes if Winslow can't be counted on to be available then i see no reason to fully invest in him.  At this point my preference is to find the SF solution in the draft. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yes if Winslow can't be counted on to be available then i see no reason to fully invest in him.  At this point my preference is to find the SF solution in the draft. 

I have been on both sides of the Winslow discussion...

At first I was wondering :

who he was ... kinda answered

does he have a skill set that makes us a better team (once we have a fully non injured roster) ?

Small sample size I know BUT up to this point I haven’t seen enough of him to convince me that we would be better off keeping him ...

he looks ok good

not good good 

great for ‘we needed another guy just in case ‘ player

but he doesn’t do anything that screams ‘play me and pay me’.

and there are more than a few guys out there that can do what he does probably cheaper than him...

the best ability is availability.

22 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

great for ‘we needed another guy just in case ‘ player

but he doesn’t do anything that screams ‘play me and pay me’.

and there are more than a few guys out there that can do what he does probably cheaper than him...

the best ability is availability.

Agreed.

I like Winslow as a player but my caveat all season has been "if healthy".   If they gotta keep handling him with kids gloves then i would rather spend that time just developing a rookie SF to take his "projected' place.       Whats the point in paying a guy 13m just to defend big wings and help with playmaking and worry about injuries when you can draft a guy for 1m and teach him to do the same.   Don't get me wrong i think he could be a good piece for the team but draft around the corner so......

Truthfully the emergence of Melton and Tillman showing he should be in the rotation makes Justise less valuable to me.    Not to mention Dillon sneakily starting to be on an upswing.    Melton showing legit 2 way ability and knocking down 3s at a ridiculous clip.   he is making a real argument to become a CORE piece.

Melton and Justise reminds me of the Teen RomCom where the guy is overlooking the nerdy (secretly hot chick) because he is chasing the Hot (but shallow) chick.   Maybe the solution has been under our nose the entire time.  

As someone who was in favor of the Winslow trade, and still believe it was the right move  - regardless of the poor outcome - count me out on picking up his option.  

Interestingly DeAnthony has gone from a PER of around 12 @ ASB to  currently 20.6 according to ESPN Trade Machine.

JV was tracking around 19, he's at 25.7. Ridiculous.

Brandon has also made big moves, from around 13-14 to 19.9

Winslow @ 5.6

12 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

As someone who was in favor of the Winslow trade, and still believe it was the right move  - regardless of the poor outcome - count me out on picking up his option.  

I agree we should pick his option.

I would like us to trade the Duke package, Tyus + Allen + Winslow, in order to move us up in the draft and get Cade or Suggs or Mobley or Green.

Maybe we go for a overpaid guy (like Kevin Love) and their pick, for the package of those players and our picks (Jazz, our 2021 and GS picks).

Him returning no longer depends on his play imo. It'll depend on who they get in the draft and who they think they can get in free agency.

59 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

I would like us to trade the Duke package, Tyus + Allen + Winslow, in order to move us up in the draft and get Cade or Suggs or Mobley or Green.

Maybe we go for a overpaid guy (like Kevin Love) and their pick, for the package of those players and our picks (Jazz, our 2021 and GS picks).

The YOUNG Grizzlies will never going after a player like Kevin Love why would they overpaid for a 33 year players KEVIN  LOVE would be a better fit for a team that wants to win now ,

52 minutes ago, lions said:

The YOUNG Grizzlies will never going after a player like Kevin Love why would they overpaid for a 33 year players KEVIN  LOVE would be a better fit for a team that wants to win now ,

He said so they could get their pick, he clearly states it

2 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Bet.

Now break it down ... ( no snark at all ... really asking)

what changed your opinion? I listed mine... want to hear other opinions.

Right move at that time...

But now ? 
Is it that we could use the money somewhere else or hurt too much or ...?

2 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

Ja... I’m thinking that @srmjr23 is saying that he WON’T pick up his option...

am I misunderstanding?

and wait ...whut?!?

move on from

Tyus Jones - our resident second string pg

Grayson Allen - because ...why?

and Winslow - who is in and out of the lineup with injury concerns ... ok this one might be fair... but who is going to actually want to pay him enough to get us to move him?

Now go all in on Kevin Love -> the elder that you just said is overpaid... I dont get it.

If you can bring me up to speed on these proposals then maybe explain why we want to chuck some of our picks for... reasons?

One more ...

i really love having a team of gunners and rim runners BUT

come on ...

When our shots are not falling -> JV is in the paint begging to be let loose down low.

Even if hes not getting paid with put backs or rebounding errant shots ... he is affording us rebounds - the chance to get back at it...

every nba fan outside of Memphis (well outside of this board) can see the value that JV brings to the table.

Walking double double and if we are realistically shooting for the playoffs - then THAT is where a bruising , back to the basket , monster eats.

Like it or not - JV is doing his thing out there withOUT any of the diva shenanigans...

3 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

Of course if I were GM for and NBA team, and we had a very high draft pick, I'd just say to myself "smit-tay, why would you ever want a player like Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley, Suggs, or Green, when you could have TWO bench players and a glass Winslow to decorate the trainer's room, for about THREE times the cost of the draft pick?"  Yep,  great thinking.

3 hours ago, cdp said:

Him returning no longer depends on his play imo. It'll depend on who they get in the draft and who they think they can get in free agency.

That is exactly where i am at too.   If we get a SF prospect in the draft then i'd rather give him the backup SF minutes to develop. 

If we don’t pick up Winslow’s option that would leave Jaren Jackson as the only true glass player on the roster. Do the posters on the board  want to be left with only JJJ to call out as being soft?

29 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

If we don’t pick up Winslow’s option that would leave Jaren Jackson as the only true glass player on the roster. Do the posters on the board  want to be left with only JJJ to call out as being soft?

I think we’re due for a glass shattering...who most likely to do it?

Winslow is prone injured and can't shoot. I see no reason to keep him unless we can use him for a trade . Le'ts get more money and chase a good FA. That's the way we will come up. Praying for a good pick is really unsured. It works with Ja but may not happen this year.

@fanboyslim said it first: declining Winslow TO doesn't mean anything for this July. You need to also to get rid of Bird rights to get close to 25M, which is not even the max.

Question is: is there any non-max free-agent SF who you would pay 25M to get? The answer is no.

I'd roll with Winslow one more year. Let's see what a healthy off-season can do for him. He is still an SF with size, ball-handling ability and pretty good defense.