Sign in to follow this  
I❤️JV

Who is the third best Grizzlies player?

JV, with Anderson close behind and making up ground quickly. I might even be tempted to put JV at 2 until Jaren comes back and looks the way he did right before he got hurt.

1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

10 minutes ago, KyleB said:

JV, with Anderson close behind and making up ground quickly. I might even be tempted to put JV at 2 until Jaren comes back and looks the way he did right before he got hurt.

It is between JV and SloMo 

Problem with the article is it makes the big assumption that Jaren is the 2nd 'best' player. 2nd most potential, I think we would all say yes for Jaren. But as we get to the mid-point of year 3, it's probably time for production to matter more than potential. 

Right now, Jonas is clearly the 2nd best player, imo. Kyles is third. 

Showing up is half the battle— especially in the sports entertainment racket.  Ja is the engine and JV is the backbone.  1 and 2.  Kyle does everything else (most nights LITERALLY). Kyle is in third but my answer could change this weekend...

At this point even when Jaren plays he is a secondary big man and a spot up shooter. Not sure we would be better if Jaren played and Kyle didn’t.  Same with JV. He owns the paint and had great chemistry with Ja.  Lots to be said for that.  

I have a feeling that Ja and Kyle and a bunch of YMCA hoopers can give pro teams a run for their money night in and night out.  Jonas can hang (and hang) with anybody down low.  Can’t yet say the same about JJJ or Winslow at any point in them since the Final Four.  ... Jaren doesn’t anchor the middle or run the offense.  A mediocre rebounder.  Not really an iso threat yet so maybe you trust other guys to get their own shot or take the potential buzzer beater.  After the “main 3” Jaren is fourth — our secondary guy but a core guy still.  He’s not as important yet as a few others but he might be twice as important as the next tier of guys.

Clarke/Dillon/Tillman/Grayson/Bane/Tyus/Melton/Dieng are tertiary pieces.  Grayson/Bane might be underrated as a 2 guard tandem. Clarke may be a bit overrated but, more or less, these dudes are who they are (at this point in time).  All teams need depth and interchangeable parts but they are who they are.  Tillman reminds me of an old school 4.  I usually go with Rick Mahorn. Maybe shades of Maurice Lucas.  He’s a keeper. A gamer. Toolsy.  These guys values are contract-dependent.  X and Clarke and Bane have lots of value since they are on rookie contracts. KonMan/McDermott/Porter/Winslow/Tilli are below that but closer to Tertiary guys than the Tier 3 dudes are to Tier 1/2 aka Ja/Jonas/Kyle (then Jaren).  ... 4th tier guys on great contracts who fit (and hustle) and have solid BBIQ’s can be more valuable than tier 3 guys.  Winslow on a bad deal is probably on a tier lower.  KonMan aka Konchar and McDermott aka McKon Express probably have more Moneyball value than Justise.  Winslow might have “value” next season as an expiring contract.  

Jaren is not No.2 based on "potential".

Jaren is No.2 based on what he has shown playing.

Y'all forget his multiple 20+, 30+ and even 43 games.

19 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

i don't know where all this disrespect for jaren's game is coming from...i have said it before and say it again...he is going to be and already is a better match up problem than ja.

46 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Showing up is half the battle— especially in the sports entertainment racket.  Ja is the engine and JV is the backbone.  1 and 2.  Kyle does everything else (most nights LITERALLY). Kyle is in third but my answer could change this weekend...

At this point even when Jaren plays he is a secondary big man and a spot up shooter. Not sure we would be better if Jaren played and Kyle didn’t.  Same with JV. He owns the paint and had great chemistry with Ja.  Lots to be said for that.  

I have a feeling that Ja and Kyle and a bunch of YMCA hoopers can give pro teams a run for their money night in and night out.  Jonas can hang (and hang) with anybody down low.  Can’t yet say the same about JJJ or Winslow at any point in them since the Final Four.  ... Jaren doesn’t anchor the middle or run the offense.  A mediocre rebounder.  Not really an iso threat yet so maybe you trust other guys to get their own shot or take the potential buzzer beater.  After the “main 3” Jaren is fourth — our secondary guy but a core guy still.  He’s not as important yet as a few others but he might be twice as important as the next tier of guys.

Clarke/Dillon/Tillman/Grayson/Bane/Tyus/Melton/Dieng are tertiary pieces.  Grayson/Bane might be underrated as a 2 guard tandem. Clarke may be a bit overrated but, more or less, these dudes are who they are (at this point in time).  All teams need depth and interchangeable parts but they are who they are.  Tillman reminds me of an old school 4.  I usually go with Rick Mahorn. Maybe shades of Maurice Lucas.  He’s a keeper. A gamer. Toolsy.  These guys values are contract-dependent.  X and Clarke and Bane have lots of value since they are on rookie contracts. KonMan/McDermott/Porter/Winslow/Tilli are below that but closer to Tertiary guys than the Tier 3 dudes are to Tier 1/2 aka Ja/Jonas/Kyle (then Jaren).  ... 4th tier guys on great contracts who fit (and hustle) and have solid BBIQ’s can be more valuable than tier 3 guys.  Winslow on a bad deal is probably on a tier lower.  KonMan aka Konchar and McDermott aka McKon Express probably have more Moneyball value than Justise.  Winslow might have “value” next season as an expiring contract.  

Reading these posts its no wonder JJJ liked the thought of going to Boston.

4 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

i don't know where all this disrespect for jaren's game is coming from...i have said it before and say it again...he is going to be and already is a better match up problem than ja.

Ja is our alpha franchise QB. Jonas is our backbone.  Kyle is our All Star.  Jaren is our gunner who provides value on both sides of the ball but he isn’t our QB/enforcer/Do-Everything Point Forward.

2 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Reading these posts its no wonder JJJ liked the thought of going to Boston.

Yeah he would get to be the third option behind Brown/Tatum.  He is a Bosh type.  

Ok... gimme Marcus Smart, Robert Williams III, Daniel Theis, Carsen Edwards and 3 first round picks. 

3 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Yeah he would get to be the third option behind Brown/Tatum.  He is a Bosh type.  

Ok... gimme Marcus Smart, Robert Williams III, Daniel Theis, Carsen Edwards and 3 first round picks. 

We aint got no Tatum here. When healthy and playing like he was playing right before he went down he is solidly the 2nd best player on the team.

2 minutes ago, KyleB said:

We aint got no Tatum here. When healthy and playing like he was playing right before he went down he is solidly the 2nd best player on the team.

Enforcer and do everything are roles for role players.

The Celtics wouldn’t do that trade and you know it.  Best role for Jaren:  7 foot Reggie Miller who helps out on defense.  That would be a first option on offense or at least 1a. But not a franchise QB, enforcer/king of the paint, or toolsy utility point forward.  So... maybe it’s semantics.  Yeah... ok, around Ja/JV/Kyle you add high volume 3 point shooters.  

12 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Ja is our alpha franchise QB. Jonas is our backbone.  Kyle is our All Star.  Jaren is our gunner who provides value on both sides of the ball but he isn’t our QB/enforcer/Do-Everything Point Forward.

if kyle is our ALL Star then the Grizzlies are in touble, Kyle is a role player on a good team 

16 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

3js is our mvp

42 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

the only thing I care about jaren is to get him back on that court 

Just now, lions said:

if kyle is our ALL Star then the Grizzlies are in touble, Kyle is a role player on a good team 

In the #FakeStats era, Kyle is having an All Star season.  And a guy like Rudy Gobert should be higher up the MVP ladder than he probably is (and most have him in the top 10).  Embiid/Jokic/LeBron/Dame/Steph should be the only players legitimately ahead of Gobert.  And those 6 players might be the only players that are still in the MVP hunt.  Ok... maybe Kawhi Leonard too.

1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

In the #FakeStats era, Kyle is having an All Star season.  And a guy like Rudy Gobert should be higher up the MVP ladder than he probably is (and most have him in the top 10).  Embiid/Jokic/LeBron/Dame/Steph should be the only players legitimately ahead of Gobert.  And those 6 players might be the only players that are still in the MVP hunt.  Ok... maybe Kawhi Leonard too.

you are right Kyle is having a good year , i would not want to see him in a game 7 playoff game as a starter kyle is to slow

6 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

3js is our mvp

lets get 3js back on the court First before we start talking about M.V.P