chipc33

Memphis Grizzlies @ Dallas Mavericks 2/22/21

Grizzlies Gametime Discussion

Date/Time: Monday, February 22 7:30 PM

Memphis Grizzlies vs Dallas Mavericks 

Television: NBALP | Fox Sports South

Memphis Radio: 92.9FM | 680AM

Promotions: 

Grizz Social: iTunes Google Play Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram Pinterest Snapchat Flickr YouTube LinkedIn

Grizzlies Starting 5

Ja Morant Grayson Allen Dillon Brooks Kyle Anderson Jonas Valanciunas
Ja Morant Grayson Allen Dillon Brooks Kyle Anderson Jonas Valanciunas

Mavs Starting 5

Luka Doncic Josh Richardson Dorian Finney-Smith Maxi Kleber Kristaps Porzingis
Luka Doncic Josh Richardson Dorian Finney-Smith Maxi Kleber Kristaps Porzingis

Benches

Memphis Grizzlies: Desmond Bane, Brandon Clarke , Gorgui Dieng, Jaren Jackson (INJ), Tyus Jones, John Konchar, Sean McDermott, DeAnthony Melton (INJ), Johntay Porter, Killian TIllie, Xavier Tillman, Justise Winslow (INJ)

Dallas Mavericks: Tyler Bey, Jalen Brunson, Trey Burke, Willie Cauley-Stein, Josh Green, Tim Hardaway Jr, Wes Iwundu, James Johnson, Boban Marjanovic, Dwight Powell, Tyler Terry

Grizzlies: Preview | Recap | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | Tickets | Promotions | Watch Parties

Mavericks: Preview | News Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | 

Depth Charts: CBS | ESPN | Yahoo

Injuries: CBS | ESPN | FOX | Yahoo

looking forward to seeing Jaren Jackson on that staring 5 Kyle Anderson is having a Good year But he is to SLOW

milton also needs tp come for his scoring and qickless 

47 minutes ago, lions said:

We passed on Milton.  He's in Philly.

Wasn't there a whole thread about that?

1 hour ago, lions said:

melton sorry

15 hours ago, bhoyal said:

He's probably heard the rumors about the franchise relocating to Milton Keynes and got his words mixed,.

20 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Should’ve got a fair Shake here

Luka Doncic vs. Kyle Anderson will the important matchup.  Luka will get his but we have to make him earn it. Throw different looks at him including Clarke and Melton.  Give McDermott the night off.  Let Jaren’s flashy duds shine in Luka’s eyes while he is standing at the foul line.

Remember back in the day watching WWF and Jesse The Body Ventura and Gorilla Monsoon were calling the matches? And you thought two things: where did The Body get these glorious threads and why can’t this seemingly able-bodied man in the prime of his career get in the ring and throw his weight around?  ... I guess that would make Super Grizz the new Gorilla Monsoon.

15 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I get the Milton thread and Wade Baldwin one mixed up.

They ended up being the same thread.  As if Baldwin is the only first round draft pick that ended up unimpressive...

Jordan Adams

Tony Wroten

Thabeet

Jarell Martin

Why are those names not constantly being harped on?  And lest I remind all that Kobi Simmons and Ivan Rabb would be the starting point guard and center if the front office had listened to some of the people on here. (not named bhoyal)

That was during the "scrub love" phase some people were going through.  It was a phase.  

This forum has phases... the "Beg L.H." era... the "just tank" era... the "gifted a potential super-star in (player name here)" era... etc.etc.

18 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

They ended up being the same thread.  As if Baldwin is the only first round draft pick that ended up unimpressive...

Jordan Adams

Tony Wroten

Thabeet

Jarell Martin

Why are those names not constantly being harped on?  And lest I remind all that Kobi Simmons and Ivan Rabb would be the starting point guard and center if the front office had listened to some of the people on here. (not named bhoyal)

That was during the "scrub love" phase some people were going through.  It was a phase.  

This forum has phases... the "Beg L.H." era... the "just tank" era... the "gifted a potential super-star in (player name here)" era... etc.etc.

Truly, just messing with you bhoyal. My ignorance on basketball and this forum is unmatched.

On 2/20/2021 at 9:57 AM, bhoyal said:

Jordan Adams

Tony Wroten

Thabeet

Jarell Martin

Good old James ennis was our gifted star. Adams would've been a decent scorer but injuries derailed him.  He was one of the slowest players I've ever seen

Interesting matchup here, Mavs sure have had a lot of rest. What worries me is that in the last calender week we lost by 30+ twice... young teams you go down 10-13 and you have a choice to step it up and get motivated to come back or simply give up and let the lead grow.... hope we play it competitively and don't quit when down when we play a team with a superior roster. 

Memphis Grizzlies vs. Dallas Mavericks Game Preview

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2021/2/22/22294668/memphis-grizzlies-vs-dallas-mavericks-game-preview-nba-ja-morant-luka-doncic-jonas-kristaps-justise

You may or may not have heard this, but Kristaps Porzingis suffered the same injury that Jaren Jackson Jr. did and has returned in a quicker time period than Jaren did. If you’ve heard it, it is usually in a negative light - an argument for the “tankers”. But chances are, those folks aren’t watching the Dallas Mavericks play. Because if they were, they’d see that while Porzingis has been fine offensively it is quite clear that the Dallas Unicorn is currently a defensive liability, unable to move effectively on multiple levels on that end of the floor

It's hard to overstate how bad Porzingis has been on D since he returned. He just can't move laterally anymore, at least so far. They talked about it on the Dunc'd on pod. Seth Partnow wrote about it in The Athletic:  https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2020.html , ending with this summary:

"Unless there are dramatic improvements on the defensive side of the ball, Porzingis potentially represents an enormous anchor on Dallas’ ability to build a winning roster around Doncic. A quarter season is far too small a sample to declare doom and gloom. But there should be substantial worry."

You just never know when bigs have lower leg injuries. Sometimes they are KD, they come back and you can't even tell he's been hurt. And sometimes they are Boogie, and they never get back close to where they were. Porzingis so far looks more like a Boogie. No doubt Taylor and staff have seen this, and we will attempt to isolate on Porzingis in space. 

15 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Good old James ennis was our gifted star. Adams would've been a decent scorer but injuries derailed him.  He was one of the slowest players I've ever seen

Adams was more athletic than some NAIA ball players at very small colleges.  Usually the colleges with "Nazarene" or "Wesleyan" in the name.  He was also more athletic than my mother-in-law but she is probably a better cook.

21 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Adams was more athletic than some NAIA ball players at very small colleges.  Usually the colleges with "Nazarene" or "Wesleyan" in the name.  He was also more athletic than my mother-in-law but she is probably a better cook.

But has she ever broken a hip or does she have water on her knees? Otherwise its no excuse for your mother-in-law being slower than Adams. Hes killing it overseas though

With Dillon still out, do we go ahead and start Justise at SF? We started Kyle at the 4 against OKC, but started Brandon at the 4 against Detroit. Who starts at SG as well? Grayson has been the starter the last few times he's played, but Melton (with Bane at SF) started last game with Grayson out. 

There's a lot of interesting combos we can go with, but I think we'll go with Ja/Grayson/Justise/Kyle/JV. They do have a ton of size since they normally start Luka at the 2 with Kleber and Finney Smith at the 4 and 3 respectively, so I could see starting BC with Kyle at the 3.