Grizzled Vet

The reasonably optimistic, somewhat likely 20-21 playoff thread.

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

And the Pels get pummeled again tonight, this time by 28 to the Nets. 
 

Need the Nuggets to beat the Spurs. 

 

And that turd was on ESPN.  

 

Is it time to eliminate the Pelicans from the Playin game discussion? It would be if the Spurs and Warriors could string together a winning streak, but they can't, so the 22-29 Pelicans sit 2 games out of the play in game.  Either way, I take joy in each of their losses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

Mavs lost too 👀 

 

Rockets a different team now that Christian Wood returned.  They are going to have to do some serious youth development to hang onto that bottom 3 position if they are going to play like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

 

Rockets a different team now that Christian Wood returned.  They are going to have to do some serious youth development to hang onto that bottom 3 position if they are going to play like that.

I think they lose their pick to OKC if it's not bottom 4.  Same for the Wolves. I'm sure both of those teams will make that happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I think they lose their pick to OKC if it's not bottom 4.  Same for the Wolves. I'm sure both of those teams will make that happen. 

They still need some lottery ball fortune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Is it time to eliminate the Pelicans from the Playin game discussion? It would be if the Spurs and Warriors could string together a winning streak, but they can't, so the 22-29 Pelicans sit 2 games out of the play in game.  Either way, I take joy in each of their losses.

But but but Ziiiiiiiiiiion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

But but but Ziiiiiiiiiiion...

They're going to alter the play-in format to include the top 15 teams in the Western Conference (but keep it 10 in the EC) and if you have Zion on your team you can lose up to 3 games against your opponent but only have to win 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

They're going to alter the play-in format to include the top 15 teams in the WesternCconference (but keep it 10 in the EC) and if you have Zion on your team you can lose up to 3 games against your opponent but only have to win 1.

Hah. ESPN/ABC/Disney won't be happy when Zion misses the playoffs again.

Just think if we have a Milwaukee - Denver or a Milwaukee - Utah Finals. There will be TV executives jumping from ledges of tall buildings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Hah. ESPN/ABC/Disney won't be happy when Zion misses the playoffs again.

Just think if we have a Milwaukee - Denver or a Milwaukee - Utah Finals. There will be TV executives jumping from ledges of tall buildings. 

I would love to see that.  Really would like to see Milwaukee, Denver, Utah or Phoenix win it all this season if it can't be Memphis.  Let's go small market teams!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

I would love to see that.  Really would like to see Milwaukee, Denver, Utah or Phoenix win it all this season if it can't be Memphis.  Let's go small market teams!

100%. I always root for the small markets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

I think it'll come down to this stretch of games below - if we can win 2 of them, we're in great position to end up at 8th. But if we lose all 7, then I think we end up 9/10.

Sat, Apr 17 8:00 PM   Tickets as low as $57 
Mon, Apr 19 8:00 PM   Tickets as low as $27 
Wed, Apr 21
@LALA
9:00 PM
NBATV
 
Fri, Apr 23 9:00 PM    
Sun, Apr 25 3:00 PM    
Mon, Apr 26 8:00 PM   Tickets as low as $27 
Wed, Apr 28 8:00 PM   Tickets as low as $13 

Yikes!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

this stretch of games below -

Ugh. This is what we might maybe possibly drop Jaren into? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TimBC said:

Ugh. This is what we might maybe possibly drop Jaren into? 

Yeah, I would rather see him in a few games before that stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TimBC said:

Ugh. This is what we might maybe possibly drop Jaren into? 

Nah it'll be cool, if we struggle a little, Jaren comes riding down the hill on a white horse to save us. It'll be epic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is how I predict/fear it will play out.

Grizz finish #8, and lose to a Portland or Mavs team in the first 7v8 game.

NO finishes #10, and wins first play-in game vs. Warriors (Spurs finish 11th).

 

Grizzlies once again lose a play-in game because they still can't beat the Pelicans and enter the draft lottery with the worst odds.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

This is how I predict/fear it will play out.

Grizz finish #8, and lose to a Portland or Mavs team in the first 7v8 game.

NO finishes #10, and wins first play-in game vs. Warriors (Spurs finish 11th).

 

Grizzlies once again lose a play-in game because they still can't beat the Pelicans and enter the draft lottery with the worst odds.

 

If the Grizzlies finish in 8th place they would play the 9th place team to advance to the playoffs. The 7th and 10th place teams also play a game to determine the final playoff seedings. The losers would be placed in the lottery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

If the Grizzlies finish in 8th place they would play the 9th place team to advance to the playoffs. The 7th and 10th place teams also play a game to determine the final playoff seedings. The losers would be placed in the lottery. 

It doesn't work like that. I think what you say was floated early on but they settled on the loser of 7v8 and winner of 9v10 playing for the 8th spot.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-play-in-tournament

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

It doesn't work like that. I think what you say was floated early on but they settled on the loser of 7v8 and winner of 9v10 playing for the 8th spot.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-play-in-tournament

 

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

My apologies. I stand corrected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16. Memphis Grizzlies (↓Previously 13th), 26-25, +1.3 net rating

Weekly slate: Win at Heat, Win at Hawks, Loss at Knicks, Loss to Pacers

Good lineup: Ja Morant | Dillon Brooks | Desmond Bane | Brandon Clarke | Jonas Valanciunas

Stats: 114.2 offensive rating | 100.9 defensive rating | +13.3 net rating | 49 minutes played | 5th most used lineup

Why it’s important: How fun has this Grizzlies lineup been? I’m usually not one for promoting rookies as ways to help a team win games, but the inclusion of Desmond Bane into this lineup has been effective. It gives them a big-time shooter added to a team that’s been middle of the road on offense this season. Once again, though, I’ll just mention that I miss Jaren Jackson Jr. and can’t believe we haven’t seen him this season.

Bad lineup: Tyus Jones | Dillon Brooks | Kyle Anderson | Brandon Clarke | Jonas Valanciunas

Stats: 91.8 offensive rating | 103.5 defensive rating | -11.7 net rating | 85 minutes played | 3rd most used lineup

Question that arises: Can the Grizzlies survive any non-Ja Morant lineups in this final push? Tyus Jones is a capable backup point guard. There is no real reason why there should be this big of a drop-off when Jones and Kyle Anderson replace Morant and Bane. Especially considering how pathetic the offense has been for this particular lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucky timing for us. Still don't think we'd be the favorites against the Nuggets and MVP Jokic, but at least their second best player won't be lighting us up like he did in the bubble.

Terrible for the Nuggets, who are one of my favorites in the west other than Memphis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now