Grizzled Vet

The reasonably optimistic, somewhat likely 20-21 playoff thread.

5 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

I 100% want the Lakers. Lakers have two good players, and they are both hurt. And AD is not even playing hard. LeBron re-injured, or re-aggravated, his ankle last night. He did not finish the game, and is not playing tonight vs the Nuggets. 

Aim big. We should want the defending champs. And then beat their ***. 

I don't want to bet getting into the playoffs or not based on beating the Lakers in a one-off game. I'd prefer to play the Blazers and play the Lakers in the WCF.

1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

The Play-In Game Innovation should be up for MVP consideration this year.  You know it’s a good idea when LeBron hates it.  There are some freakishly awesome races for the 6-10 seeds.  Some Uber-tankers but not a ton — even with lots of high end draft talent this season.  

It's absolutely a great idea. They just need to make some small changes to it about what qualifies a team for a play-in game and it will be one of the best things to happen to the NBA in a long time. Next they need to fix that **** where a player jumps into a defender and gets a foul.

3 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

The Play-In Game Innovation should be up for MVP consideration this year.  You know it’s a good idea when LeBron hates it.  There are some freakishly awesome races for the 6-10 seeds.  Some Uber-tankers but not a ton — even with lots of high end draft talent this season.  

LeWhiner only hates it now that the Lakers have lost 6 of 7, and the Blazers have won 4 straight. LePhony was fine with it when he thought he was getting 5 days off at the end of the season. 

5 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

It's absolutely a great idea. They just need to make some small changes to it about what qualifies a team for a play-in game and it will be one of the best things to happen to the NBA in a long time. Next they need to fix that **** where a player jumps into a defender and gets a foul.

I’m wondering if the play-in teams (7-10) should just play 3 game mini series with the best team getting the first two at home.  Then I guess you can reseed things after the play-in round.  

This could be nutso (for the lottery): each NBA team has a 3.33% chance at the number one overall pick.  Then picks 2-5 are determined by lotto balls.  Or... 2-4 determined by lotto balls (only available to non playoff teams).  4 play-in teams (not moving up) are the only team eligible for the 5th pick.  Then picks 1-5 of the lottery have some logic and encourage winning (or at least not tanking).  

11 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I’m wondering if the play-in teams (7-10) should just play 3 game mini series with the best team getting the first two at home.  Then I guess you can reseed things after the play-in round.  

This could be nutso (for the lottery): each NBA team has a 3.33% chance at the number one overall pick.  Then picks 2-5 are determined by lotto balls.  Or... 2-4 determined by lotto balls (only available to non playoff teams).  4 play-in teams (not moving up) are the only team eligible for the 5th pick.  Then picks 1-5 of the lottery have some logic and encourage winning (or at least not tanking).  

I was thinking about the play-in series getting extended as well but teams would be punished if both series were best of 3. That would be about two weeks off. Rust would set in. The team's playing would actually have an advantage against the higher seeds. 

However you could have single elimination for the 7-8 and 9-10 games and then a best of 3 series between the team's fighting for 8th place. That would mean a team plays four games at most and the rest of the teams get a week off instead of two. 

I think I like your lottery idea. I'm just not sure I totally understand what you are suggesting. Is it everyone gets an equal shot at the top pick and then a weighted lottery for picks 2-4/5 and after that seed teams by record? 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I was thinking about the play-in series getting extended as well but teams would be punished if both series were best of 3. That would be about two weeks off. Rust would set in. The team's playing would actually have an advantage against the higher seeds. 

However you could have single elimination for the 7-8 and 9-10 games and then a best of 3 series between the team's fighting for 8th place. That would mean a team plays four games at most and the rest of the teams get a week off instead of two. 

I think I like your lottery idea. I'm just not sure I totally understand what you are suggesting. Is it everyone gets an equal shot at the top pick and then a weighted lottery for picks 2-4/5 and after that seed teams by record? 

They could do like they did last year with the "best of 3" where 7 v 10, and 8 v 9, but 7 and 8 already start series with 1 Win, so they only have to win 1 game, but the 9 or 10 have to win 2.  Both games (if needed) are at higher seeds location.

IT would be less travel, and still requires the 9 or 10 to win 2 games. The nicer reward for 7 and 8 is that they could both be done after 1 game, as it is, 1 of those has to play 2 games.

Grizzlies in 9th place today and right back to good old .500, their 15th time this season they've been at .500.

Spurs up only 1.5 games on Pelicans, but have the season tie-breaker.

4 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Grizzlies in 9th place today and right back to good old .500, their 15th time this season they've been at .500.

Spurs up 1.5 games on Pelicans, but have the season tie-breaker.

Spurs actually 2.5 up on the Pels, and 3 on the loss side. Pels are done, which makes me happy. 

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

Spurs actually 2.5 up on the Pels, and 3 on the loss side. Pels are done, which makes me happy. 

You're right. Like the flurry of technicals, just more evidence of mental fatigue from this season.

2 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

You're right. Like the flurry of technicals, just more evidence of mental fatigue from this season.

Hah. Very true, I am mentally fatigued today, couldn't get to sleep after last night's game. 

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

They could do like they did last year with the "best of 3" where 7 v 10, and 8 v 9, but 7 and 8 already start series with 1 Win, so they only have to win 1 game, but the 9 or 10 have to win 2.  Both games (if needed) are at higher seeds location.

IT would be less travel, and still requires the 9 or 10 to win 2 games. The nicer reward for 7 and 8 is that they could both be done after 1 game, as it is, 1 of those has to play 2 games.

Wouldn't that be a 'first to two games' not a 'best of three?'

Personally I believe if you are going to require the lower seed to play at the higher seed a straight best of three would be fairer.  

On 5/3/2021 at 8:40 PM, srmjr23 said:

It's a terrible idea. You're going to have years where teams with 5-10 more wins get eliminated because of chance, or because their best player turns their ankle the wrong week. Reward excellence over the season.

13 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Yeah 1st pick is open to all 30 teams.  Then only lotto teams get a shot at 2-4.  5 goes to one of the four play-in game losers.  6-30 determined the same way it is now.

12 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

It's a terrible idea. You're going to have years where teams with 5-10 more wins get eliminated because of chance, or because their best player turns their ankle the wrong week. Reward excellence over the season.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the impact on the league has already been very positive. If they put an amount of games, say 3, that you have to be within in order to qualify, that would somewhat get around the issue of hurting a team who played well during the regular season having to play a team that didn't but is in 10th place.

5 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Pels doing us a favor and about to beat the Warriors. 

The May 10th game scares me 

10 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I understand that attitude but there is a different school of thought that says "if you can't beat the team behind you you don't deserve to move ahead."

i think one big Glass Half Full point we are missing is -  Our team is a .500 team with just Ja + Jonas alone.  How high will our ceiling be when Ja improves more and Jaren is fully healthy along with development from other guys?    

12 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Then those teams need to finish 6th to avoid the play in. Sorry, any team finishing 7th or lower doesn't merit a lot of sympathy. 

4 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Then those teams need to finish 6th to avoid the play in. Sorry, any team finishing 7th or lower doesn't merit a lot of sympathy. 

Unless it's Lakerz...in that case it's not fair.